Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Euro 2012

Superb dig at, tactical genius, Craig Levein by Craig Burley whilst commenting on Spain, playing without an out and out striker."Scotland played this system before against the Czech Republic by playing a flat back nine with a holding midfielder."Still the worst tactical decision I have ever witnessed in all my years of following football,the one time I really considered packing it all in!

Re: Euro 2012

I did laugh at that one, then later in the game they bring on that prolific goal machine that is Fernando Torres, and I laughed even more.

One co-commentator, presumably meaning to say 'stepovers' instead announced that the winger managed a couple of 'leg-overs' before crossing the ball.

Impressive.

KotS
One co-commentator, presumably meaning to say 'stepovers' instead announced that the winger managed a couple of 'leg-overs' before crossing the ball.

Impressive.

In the Czech game - Jerkoff (ken that's not how it's spelled!) shot too soon.

Good eh?!!

Over the years I have seen polo-necks worn under strips,tights under shorts,and gloves(often with short sleeved strips) but ffs a goalkeeper using kirby grips........

Which player has the most tattoes? My guess is either Meirelles of Portugal or the German Boateng.Wee Shite from Holland - aka Wesley Sneijder- is a close second.

Exiled Fifer
Which player has the most tattoes? My guess is either Meirelles of Portugal or the German Boateng.Wee Shite from Holland - aka Wesley Sneijder- is a close second.

What about Agger? He has hunners too!

Most annoying commentator so far has to be Mark 'Lawro' Lawrensen. I've never heard a commentator as condescending as him, he's even taken to muttering snidey remarks under his breath. Most of them forget about being impartial as well. Bunch of overpaid opinionated loudmouths...not too dissimilar to the players I suppose.

Can't remenber the game but the commentator told ML that the referee had sold his share in a business for a wad of money and refereed for love of the sport. Muffled grunts/laughter could be heard in the background,presumably from ML

My particular favourite, though I cannot remember which match it was - He [the goalkeeper] 'once came on as a sub for Tottenham Hotspur'!

I see a contender for 'Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon'.

Lawro`s dad travels to away games on the 1938 club bus,and he`s like that tae!

I enjoy travelling on the 1938 bus with all the EF fans who follow a team that never win fcuk all and all of them Scots who never win fcuk all either. To all these Scottish losers just think about Craig Levein and the Czechs. Engerlund,Engerlund,Engerlund.

How many caps did Lawro get for your England like?

St Pauli Fifer
How many caps did Lawro get for your England like?

Ha about as many as Andy 'Irish ' Townsend. If he mentioned once tonight he mentioned about 5 times how great Terry was getting back to hook the ball from over the line. Completely irrelevant given that it should have been a clear goal. Brings us to another point what the hell was the official on the goal line watching???

Lawro's dad
I enjoy travelling on the 1938 bus with all the EF fans who follow a team that never win fcuk all and all of them Scots who never win fcuk all either. To all these Scottish losers just think about Craig Levein and the Czechs. Engerlund,Engerlund,Engerlund.

By your reasoning we should stop supporting our local team and the country we were born in and cheer on someone more successful. Or have I picked you up wrong?

It's certainly not trophies you pick up.
The pride of Britain go marching on. Must have been a few Oldco/Newco Gers there tonight as Rule Britannia got big licks. There is a handsome young boy of Italian descent travels on the bus - well the Azzurri will be next to fall to the Queen's men.

Brilliant. James Milner wouldn't even get a game for Italy's ladies team.

Here's me thinking the criminals that were, the now dead, Rangers will have Novo, Amorouso and Gattuso et al, who were not players playing for the Queen, supporting Italy (if they're not at Mass that is). Also great that the trophies they helped the Queen's XI win are getting taken back.

Hilarious.

I think you have picked that up wrongly. The Queen's team I refer to are of course Engerlund and surely there is nothing wrong with me supporting my team.
At the risk of having you Jocks marching on England again can I ask a serious question.Where do players like Wayne,Ashley and John Terry rate in your all time world greats.

Lawro's dad
I think you have picked that up wrongly. The Queen's team I refer to are of course Engerlund and surely there is nothing wrong with me supporting my team.

At the risk of having you Jocks marching on England again can I ask a serious question.Where do players like Wayne,Ashley and John Terry rate in your all time world greats.

Wayne - likes grannies, looks like shrek and can't cope with pressure.
Ashley - money grabbing 'nearly crashed my car when I heard Arsenal only offered me 75k a week' barsteward. Annonymous in alot of games.
Terry - alleged racist, lock up your team-mates wives, doesn't understand there's no I in team.

There ye go Lawro's Dad. Technically not all about their football skills right enough but it does taint my view on them somewhat!!

S-Pat
Lawro's dad

Wayne - likes grannies, looks like shrek and can't cope with pressure.
Ashley - money grabbing 'nearly crashed my car when I heard Arsenal only offered me 75k a week' barsteward. Annonymous in alot of games.
Terry - alleged racist, lock up your team-mates wives, doesn't understand there's no I in team.

There ye go Lawro's Dad. Technically not all about their football skills right enough but it does taint my view on them somewhat!!

By the way, that wasn't S-Pat, that was me, Kerriann!!

So you're speaking for Stewart now.

Always knew who wore the pants in that house, but now we know!

GoF

GoF - you've gone all north american on us. Trousers are still called trousers in Fife.

Anyway, it's panties that Stewart wears in that house - I've seen the pictures.

MaRY_BaLE
GoF

GoF - you've gone all north american on us. Trousers are still called trousers in Fife.

Mary doll - GoF also calls juice Soda and sweets Candy. We've lost him! He's gone to Canadia and forgotten the Fifer side of himself. Pfft!

Wisnae speaking for Stewrat, didn't change the name at the top - however, I am the boss!!

Kerriann
MaRY_BaLE
GoF

Mary doll - GoF also calls juice Soda and sweets Candy. We've lost him! He's gone to Canadia and forgotten the Fifer side of himself. Pfft!

Wisnae speaking for Stewrat, didn't change the name at the top - however, I am the boss!!

Enough!!!!

All this talk of how some people dress has deflected our attention from Euro 2012. I am surprised at how interest has grown as England have progressed. At work so many people have said to me how they hope England do well that I wonder if it's just the Jock humour pretending to hate the English. If the positions were reversed I would be supporting Scotland.

I wouldn't say I am supporting England (that would never happen) but I'm a bit more relaxed about them doing well than before. Maybe its because they have a decent bloke as manager, maybe its cos they have for once gone into this tournament with a bit of humility I'm not sure. They still have the c**t that is John Terry of course and expectations are rising a bit but you know, worse things could happen than England winning it

Not sure what though.

Kerriann I do not think GoF has gone North American
on you, remember when in Rome do as the Romans do.
I have been gone from Leven for over 52 years now,
last October at Edinburgh Airport screening I got into an argument with the screener as I would not put my Billfold ( wallet ) through the scanner.
Here in the USA a wallet is a billfold, I never put my billfold through the scanner as I may never see it again, not only in Edinburgh but anywhere I travel, I just tell them my billfold is in my pocket and I take it out for them to check while I am there.
Here in North America we spell Honor you spell it honour, favor (favour) checks (cheques)to name a few of the changes one has to get accustomed to when living here.

Nothing against England and would be more supportive of them if it wasn`t for the biased commentary and brutal media hype. England have been very lucky so far imo and will have to improve vastly if there to reach the final. Can`t see past Germany at the moment.

Big Rab
Kerriann I do not think GoF has gone North American
on you, remember when in Rome do as the Romans do.
I have been gone from Leven for over 52 years now,
last October at Edinburgh Airport screening I got into an argument with the screener as I would not put my Billfold ( wallet ) through the scanner.
Here in the USA a wallet is a billfold, I never put my billfold through the scanner as I may never see it again, not only in Edinburgh but anywhere I travel, I just tell them my billfold is in my pocket and I take it out for them to check while I am there.
Here in North America we spell Honor you spell it honour, favor (favour) checks (cheques)to name a few of the changes one has to get accustomed to when living here.

How`s the temperature where you are Rab?

Tam today's temp. is supposed to be a high of 90* and
a low of 57*, where I live.

During August and September we can expect a high of 114*, some days as high as 117*

About six years ago on our way to Las Vegas when
passing through the town of Baker California the temp. was 122* at around 1:00 pm.

One can drive from Baker to Death Valley one of the hottest places in America during the summer months.
this is not for me as the temp. there has been as high as 130*

Jim Beglin said tonight that one of the Germans was still suffering the effects of Samaras's tackle.

Interesting to see Angela Merkel there watching the country over which she presides. Shame they lost 4-2 to Germany.

Mad Man
I wouldn't say I am supporting England (that would never happen) but I'm a bit more relaxed about them doing well than before. Maybe its because they have a decent bloke as manager, maybe its cos they have for once gone into this tournament with a bit of humility I'm not sure. They still have the c**t that is John Terry of course and expectations are rising a bit but you know, worse things could happen than England winning it

Not sure what though.

i have to say to my eternal shame i too was softening to them, decent manager, giving young players a chance, not shouting about winning it, and i was quite relaxed watching the games. Oh how quickly it all changed, a lucky draw against a French side showing no interest in the competition at all, lucky results against Sweden and Ukraine and all of a sudden Engerland are world beaters again, every interview has to include the words "how far can we go, can we go all the way?" and after the young players had done quite well in getting results enter the messiah shrek, every report down here on England was about Rooney a full half hour before the Ukraine game was about him not a mention of the players that had done so well and would now be dropped in favour of a player who couldnt even be bothered playing at the world cup. Then we have the "experts" getting over exited, forgetting how long it was since they had won a game against a top team in competition. so its bliss for me now i can watch the matches without having to just nip over to the England training camp to see if any of "the lads" had fell over a daisy in training today, i know im bitter and twisted but its how it gets you down here especially when you hear the " i always support Scotland why dont you support us" statement no they dont they stick the knife in at every opportunity. Totally outplayed by not the most fancied Italien side, i thought Englands luck (of which they never get any by the way) was going to get them through, oh how glad i was when the winning penalty went in and how funny that the winning penalty was scored by a player the commentator was very rude about during the game calling him a West Ham reject and we wouldnt want to go out to a goal by him, he may be a West Ham reject but he was playing in a far superior side to your beloved Engerland. Rant over i feel better now

leedsfifer
Mad Man

Not sure what though.

i have to say to my eternal shame i too was softening to them, decent manager, giving young players a chance, not shouting about winning it, and i was quite relaxed watching the games. Oh how quickly it all changed, a lucky draw against a French side showing no interest in the competition at all, lucky results against Sweden and Ukraine and all of a sudden Engerland are world beaters again, every interview has to include the words "how far can we go, can we go all the way?" and after the young players had done quite well in getting results enter the messiah shrek, every report down here on England was about Rooney a full half hour before the Ukraine game was about him not a mention of the players that had done so well and would now be dropped in favour of a player who couldnt even be bothered playing at the world cup. Then we have the "experts" getting over exited, forgetting how long it was since they had won a game against a top team in competition. so its bliss for me now i can watch the matches without having to just nip over to the England training camp to see if any of "the lads" had fell over a daisy in training today, i know im bitter and twisted but its how it gets you down here especially when you hear the " i always support Scotland why dont you support us" statement no they dont they stick the knife in at every opportunity. Totally outplayed by not the most fancied Italien side, i thought Englands luck (of which they never get any by the way) was going to get them through, oh how glad i was when the winning penalty went in and how funny that the winning penalty was scored by a player the commentator was very rude about during the game calling him a West Ham reject and we wouldnt want to go out to a goal by him, he may be a West Ham reject but he was playing in a far superior side to your beloved Engerland. Rant over i feel better now

leedsfifer
Mad Man

Not sure what though.

Summed up the situation pretty well.

Shrek was, despite the fact he is an arse and banned for the first 2 games held up as the saviour for the Engerlund cause. When it came to the Ukraine game no other player merited any mention it was all about him. Totally disrespectful to the other players who had played before.

Last night Lawro took the gold medal for being a complete prick of the highest order. Questioning the Italians sportsmanship, the slating of Diamante, the hope that a player had a serious hamstring injury, the snort of dismissal at Jordan Hendersons introduction and many other condescending and almost racist remarks he came out with. Get him off the BBC now, the man is a disgrace.