Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
SPL/SFL Merger

A bold move by the SFA in looking to merge the SPL and SFL and add a pyramid system.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18471197

I think it's a great move and will really reinvigorate the game. Plus it might even fuck Rangers over even more!

Re: SPL/SFL Merger

Bold moves indeed from the Blazers at Hampden. It looks like 2 years after Henry McLeishs report into the state of the game they are eventually going to implement some of his proposals. The way I read it earlier was one body overseeing the Scottish game but this looks like it would be back to an SFA/SFL stucture?

From what I've read there will still be four leagues, a top league of 12 and a second tier of 10. Pretty much what we have really. Yes there MAY be a pyramid structure which would be welcome and might overhaul the lower reaches of the game in Scotland but as far as clubs like us are concerned there doesn't appear to be much in the way of change. One overall football authority but the same old tedious league structure.

The whole set up is just mirrors the English leagues,4 leagues..play-offs..pyramid system...non-league teams entering F.A.Cups.
Change? what change??

kenwit
The whole set up is just mirrors the English leagues,4 leagues..play-offs..pyramid system...non-league teams entering F.A.Cups.
Change? what change??

What would you 'change' then mate?

do we need 4 leagues for a start? wouldn't say theres much difference between 2nd and 3rd Divisions in terms of quality or between Majority of 1st and lower Half of SPL.
Would NOT have any Junior teams in Scottish cup(they have their own cup)...why should teams Like East Fife,Montrose, Alloa etc be deprived like last season of a money spinning tie like Auchinleck got at Hearts,what good is that doing for SFL clubs??
As for the Pyramid system then how many clubs applied for SFL status when Annan got in? only a handful.
I'd like the League cup changed into groups, either regions ,so teams could have derby games or have it seeded like the Euro Draws 1st seed 2nd seed 3rd then 4th( seeding placed on league finishing the previous season).

agree on every point made by kenwit. that was a very good post

I've always thought leagues of 16. 2 games against each time is enough rather than the 4 now. And if they started the league cup with a small group stage like at the Euros, the small teams would be guaranteed a few games rather than just getting knocked out in first round and having no income for weeks.

So now it's looking like Division One for the cheats/

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/2012/06/23/rangers-in-crisis-ibrox-club-set-to-be-given-division-one-lifeline-after-talks-between-league-bosses-86908-23899716/

Will be disgusted if the SFA force this through.

If this happens I think I'll be finished with watching football in Scotland frankly. It's all about altering the rules so the Huns have a one year 'punishment' and get back into the top league asap. What a joke.

Cheats can prosper it seems.

Completely fucks up First Division for this coming season (even if they do get playoffs) and Challenge Cup, which now has to be redrawn.

Also just creates a bigger divide between the D1 and D2/3 clubs in terms of finances.

You already see how hard it is for promoted clubs to stay and thrive in the First.

That is fucking disgusting. Surely Airdrie (after a long, hard season) have more claim to be promoted to the First than some brand new club who've just materialised out of thin air without playing a game. They should've had to apply to the 3rd like any other team new to Scottish Football.

Scottish Football is a fucking laughing stock. I can't believe it.

As it stands there is no space for any new club or otherwise in the first Division. If it is decided that Dundee or Dunfermline should take the place of the now defunct Rangers, this will leave a space in Division 1. If the newco of Rangers are eligible to apply for entry then surely every club in the country have a right to apply for the same position. This means East Fife, Albion Rovers, East Stirling etc have as much if not more right than the newco to that position. Gala Fairydean, Spartans, Huntly etc should also be able to apply. These clubs should take on the SFL if the new Rangers are admitted to the first division. There should be no debate. They apply for membership of the SFL along with Gala etc and have their application discussed by the SFL as would be normal practice with the winning team entered into Division 3 - end of !

If this comes to pass that will be me done with scottish football after 49years following East Fife.

Ironically my first ever game at Bayview was a Wednesday evening league cup game against the team that used to be called Rangers.

IF this happens,I will NEVER set foot in a scottish ground ever again! What is the point of supporting any team,when stitch ups like this happen?