Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
newco

why is east fife spitting their dummy out coz rangers are being placed in the 1st division it is a case of sour grapes so blame the sfl not the club so get on with it and accept the fact that we will be in 1st division at least it is better than the 2nd where effc have been for years W A T P

Re: newco

what would happen if it was another club in spl other than rangers would effc still be throwing the dummies and toys out the pram then

trueblue
what would happen if it was another club in spl other than rangers would effc still be throwing the dummies and toys out the pram then

a canny believe we wont have a supporters bus if rangers are getting relegated to the 1st division because it happen to airdrie and dundee and they cheated aswell its the sfl its tits up, we need to keep the support to the games at ef no boycotting them. We are east fife!

It is good way if they are placed their because they wont cope in the leauge above us with a squad that has mostly youth players and 13 players have walked but we shouldny be boycotting games cause of this as rangers will go downhill alot more than the third so let them go bust.

gers supporters that dont do walking away
why is east fife spitting their dummy out coz rangers are being placed in the 1st division it is a case of sour grapes so blame the sfl not the club so get on with it and accept the fact that we will be in 1st division at least it is better than the 2nd where effc have been for years W A T P

We? We? What do you mean by that? Your stinking, rotten, corrupt outfit no longer exists.

No please piss off as I won't dignify the crap you've spouted with a measured response as I don't think you have the brains to understand it.

Just in case anyone didn`t know the first 3 posts are from the same person.

I hacked into the files of the site administrators and can confirm the first three posts are all from the Early Learning Centre.

p.s. Don't know who Tam is but the file named "Jim P Uncensored" is dynamite.

aye we do exist we will be back BIGGER BADDER than ever b4

Just hacked into another server. That last post was from the former Chairman of the East Neuk RSC (no club to chair).
Pitiful really but before anyone expresses an opinion on a survey or poll just consider if you want him or his friends at Bayview (or Montrose or Stirling or Partick) anytime in the future.

don't think these Gers fans get it.Your team no longer exists,they are defunct,dead,they are an ex football team.
You now support club 12 with no history and have no automatic right to enter the league at all.

gers supporters that dont do walking away

Who`s Rangers? Think you will find Rangers are no longer. Good luck supporting the Newco all the same, pmsl. Mon the Fife.

trueblue

The mood of the non-hun supporting football fan has really passed you by eh? Have you been away? Polmont? Peterhead?

No one likes you.. we thought you didn't care. Clearly you never thought through the long term consequences of that. Cheerio Cheats

and in english please?

We are Rangers, Super Rangers,
No-one likes us,
and the remifications of that, have killed our club....

I come in peace!

I hope you don't mind me interjecting, but I felt compelled to reply to this thread.

I am a Rangers man and, having viewed a number of Division Three clubs' forums, I'm genuinely shocked by the supporters' animosity towards us.

I would hate to see any football club go out of business, as I understand that many people have devoted much of their lives following them, many even define themselves primarily through their association with their club. Besides, schadenfreude is not a healthy emotion, and is one I'd hope would be alien to me even if I were to witness the demise of Celtic or Aberdeen.

Personally I think that our club deserves to be punished, despite the fact that the fans were not privy to our financial affairs. I acknowledge that we enjoyed the success it brought us and I would welcome playing in Division Three next season. That would be just and fair.

In short I hope that we can play you next season, and I hope you relish the prospect of coming to Ibrox for a league encounter. Likewise, I imagine your club will benefit financially from a capacity crowd when we visit, and the additional media attention and status we would bring*.

*That's not meant to sound ass arrogant as it does!

GSTQ ;)

Re: I come in peace!

'ass arrogant' - hmmm.

You do know we are in Division 2?

After the unluckiest of exits from the Euros, due mainly to biased refereeing but also a lot of bad luck, I have had time to consider the position of the club which doesn't exist. They have always been our Jock brothers and I feel that if their history disappears then the bond between the English and the Jocks will be weakened. The singing of GSTQ perfectly illustrated how close we are.

Again discussion around the core issue seems to get distorted. I think most supporters are disgusted at the cheating and fraud which went on at what was Rangers. Some supporters do not want oldco or newco to exist in any form but most accept that entry to Div 3 is the middle ground. What seems to be getting missed and is the basis of most of the anger is the disgusting behaviour of the SFA/SPL and their attempts at a solution which is founded on greed.

Rangers Man
I hope you don't mind me interjecting, but I felt compelled to reply to this thread.

I am a Rangers man and, having viewed a number of Division Three clubs' forums, I'm genuinely shocked by the supporters' animosity towards us.

I would hate to see any football club go out of business, as I understand that many people have devoted much of their lives following them, many even define themselves primarily through their association with their club. Besides, schadenfreude is not a healthy emotion, and is one I'd hope would be alien to me even if I were to witness the demise of Celtic or Aberdeen.

Personally I think that our club deserves to be punished, despite the fact that the fans were not privy to our financial affairs. I acknowledge that we enjoyed the success it brought us and I would welcome playing in Division Three next season. That would be just and fair.

In short I hope that we can play you next season, and I hope you relish the prospect of coming to Ibrox for a league encounter. Likewise, I imagine your club will benefit financially from a capacity crowd when we visit, and the additional media attention and status we would bring*.

*That's not meant to sound ass arrogant as it does!

GSTQ ;)

Fair enough to come on and make your points. I do in fact have some sympathy with some Rangers supporters. No, not the ones who are there for the bigotry, not even the ones who were just jumping on the bandwagon of a successful team and wouldn't know their way to Ibrox to save their life. Not even the ones who travel from far and wide on the pretence that their great-granddad supported Rangers (honest, he did). But rather, the ones who are actually from somewhere near Govan and for whom Rangers are in fact their local team and they actually just like the football. I mean, there must be some which fall into this category when you've stripped the rest away. And they're exactly the same as us, are they not - and I'd hate to lose my team.

The problem is the only justifiable way forward is for Newco to apply for membership and take their chances with any other interested parties. Anything else is cheating - start and end of. I guess Newco might have an advantage with such an application given the resource they'll have behind them, however what might count against them is that many might feel that, although they are a new Club, they are inextricably linked with Rangers and have a moral obligation to do something towards helping the Rangers creditors. Or, perhaps Newco feel this isn't their problem?

Alternatively of course, they could obtain another team's licence in the way Airdrie did, killing off another Club. If I were a Cowdenbeath fan right now, I'd be genuinely concerned (mind you, if I was a Cowdenbeath fan at any time, I'd be genuinely concerned).

If it does transpire that Newco get into the 3rd Division, then given their resources, it's going to arse up the SFL for at least 3 years, but sadly we can't complain too much about that now as we allowed the same situation to arise with Livingston (though we shouldn't have).

I have to confess I thought you were in Division Three! Doh!

With all respect the 'newco' club will still be Rangers, and everybody will see us as being Rangers, even though many will pretend they don't. Celtic were formerly known as The Celtic Football and Athletic Club, for example.

We will still play at Ibrox, wear the blue, elicit the same animosity, bear the name Rangers and be supported by the same supporters. It is a childish pretence to suggest we are a 'new club'. We are just one that has been financially mismanaged, which enabled us a lot of success (I believe we will be stripped of many titles), but which is now going to mean years of suffering.

As for the 'bigotry' that you refer to, I don't think being a Unionist club with a protestant heritage is anything to be ashamed of. I personally bear no animosity to Catholics or the Pope, and I don't agree with those who do, but equally I see no shame in singing The Sash or Rule Britannia. Aren't we supposed to live in a multicultural Scotland - 'one Scotland, many cultures'? I personally love history, and am interested and proud of the unique political and social dynamics that created the Old Firm rivalry (one of the greatest in sport), but hate it when morons take it too far.

As for the glory hunters, I completely understand where you're coming from. If I came from another town I honestly think I'd support my local team, regardless of their standing in the footballing hierarchy and it annoys me when I see coaches that have come from across Scotland.

Feck aff cheating bigot, the sooner your horrible club disappears the better.

Be nice!

I sincerely hope Rangers' participation in the lower leagues injects some decent cash into them and reinvigorates Scottish football. It's a win-win situation.

Rangers Man
Be nice!

I sincerely hope Rangers' participation in the lower leagues injects some decent cash into them and reinvigorates Scottish football. It's a win-win situation.

Doubt it, a newco based on the old Rangers (Rangers are dead) would probably have a much bigger budget than teams in Div 1, 2 & 3. They would be heavy favourites for each league title, and crowds on average will drop as teams are unable to challenge at the top.

Police costs will be increased on grounds with reasonable capacities, whilst tiny grounds like ours are just as likely to sell out against a club like Raith Rovers than a Rangers newco.

There's also the fact that whilst you yourself might be a completely decent person, most people who supported the now wound up Rangers are not. We support our local club and don't get involved in sectarian bile about religion, popes, queens, wars from hundreds of years ago, and daft marches through town centres with bowler hats and flutes. All fans of this proposed newco would be former Rangers fans and they would bring all this pish to our league and our clubs, when quite frankly we'd rather they jumped over the sea wall.

On the other hand you'd have two capacity crowds, greater media attention, increased advertising revenue, potential TV coverage and still a play-off place to play for.

Are people so sensitive nowadays that they genuinely find songs like The Sash, God Save The Queen and Rule Britannia insufferable? Think of it like a working class Last Night At The Proms.

Orange Marches are a quaint, non-commercial musical festival with hundreds of years of tradition and history. Though I suppose in this politically correct, globalised Brave New World their patriotic and religious overtones invite scorn and ridicule. Not to mention the few hours disruption they cause to consumers seeking gratification through material acquisition.

"As for the 'bigotry' that you refer to, I don't think being a Unionist club with a protestant heritage is anything to be ashamed of. I personally bear no animosity to Catholics or the Pope, and I don't agree with those who do, but equally I see no shame in singing The Sash or Rule Britannia. "

It just zips past you doesn't it. The OF have promoted bigotry forever and this newco will blight Divs 3-1 for the next couple of years. You are right- it will be the same Rangers but of course you will be there reporting the thousands of others who are just a bit more bigotted than you.

Fred
Rangers Man
Be nice!

Doubt it, a newco based on the old Rangers (Rangers are dead) would probably have a much bigger budget than teams in Div 1, 2 & 3. They would be heavy favourites for each league title, and crowds on average will drop as teams are unable to challenge at the top.

Police costs will be increased on grounds with reasonable capacities, whilst tiny grounds like ours are just as likely to sell out against a club like Raith Rovers than a Rangers newco.

There's also the fact that whilst you yourself might be a completely decent person, most people who supported the now wound up Rangers are not. We support our local club and don't get involved in sectarian bile about religion, popes, queens, wars from hundreds of years ago, and daft marches through town centres with bowler hats and flutes. All fans of this proposed newco would be former Rangers fans and they would bring all this pish to our league and our clubs, when quite frankly we'd rather they jumped over the sea wall.

Spot on Fred. I made a comment on another thread about the newco serving a probationary period, with any hints of the bigotry, the hate, as well as the financial stuff being subject to sanctions if the newco fails to comply. This new club will get special dispensation to start in Division 3 and as such the SFL will be well within their rights to apply some special conditions for for a special case.

In the early 70's when we played the old firm regularly I was around 12, 13 and was not allowed to go these games. My parents were well aware even then that these two teams attracted the most moronic and unsavoury elements, Rangers in particular being seen as representing the worst in football hooliganism in Scottish football. Their antics in the 1972 ECWC final confirming my mum and dads worst fears about who follows this club. I have no doubts that this attitude has been handed down from generation to generation and that these arseholes would continue to spread their shit when they roll into town supporting the newco. If my kids were the age I was in 1972 I wouldn't let them anywhere near Methil when we played Rangers 2012 or whatever they will call themselves.

To me there is a opportunity here for a new Rangers to reinvent themselves. Judging from what our Rangers fan above is saying I suspect that will be a forlorn hope.

...if they make it into next season - it's only 4 weeks away. If I were a betting man I'd put money on them not being there.

Mad Man

Spot on Fred. I made a comment on another thread about the newco serving a probationary period, with any hints of the bigotry, the hate, as well as the financial stuff being subject to sanctions if the newco fails to comply. This new club will get special dispensation to start in Division 3 and as such the SFL will be well within their rights to apply some special conditions for for a special case.

In the early 70's when we played the old firm regularly I was around 12, 13 and was not allowed to go these games. My parents were well aware even then that these two teams attracted the most moronic and unsavoury elements, Rangers in particular being seen as representing the worst in football hooliganism in Scottish football. Their antics in the 1972 ECWC final confirming my mum and dads worst fears about who follows this club. I have no doubts that this attitude has been handed down from generation to generation and that these arseholes would continue to spread their shit when they roll into town supporting the newco. If my kids were the age I was in 1972 I wouldn't let them anywhere near Methil when we played Rangers 2012 or whatever they will call themselves.

To me there is a opportunity here for a new Rangers to reinvent themselves. Judging from what our Rangers fan above is saying I suspect that will be a forlorn hope.

You talk about 'bigotry' and 'hate', but what is it you're referring to exactly? Is The Sash bigoted or hateful? Or Rule Britannia, God Save The Queen? I'm assuming you think they are, because they are the only songs I have mentioned. I see absolutely nothing offensive about them, I suggest you have a look at their lyrics. They don't even contain swear words, which is not the case for many other regular football chants.

The Billy Boys is now unlawful, apparently because the word 'Fenian' which historically has always meant a militant Republican (read Angela's Ashes or watch the Michael Collins film for references - hey perhaps that's why they didn't get universal certificates?!) has been completely redefined to mean a Catholic! So it is no longer sung.

It's bizarre that as our society has become ever more degenerate - with a media that practically promotes drug and alcohol abuse, fornication, profanity (I refer you to the television series Shameless, Your Honour, which would never have been countenanced in the 1980s let alone the '60s or '50s) - that the word 'Fenian' can generate such hysteria as to actually make chanting it at a football match an imprisonable offence...so you can tell a policeman if you hear one of our unsavoury, bigoted, hate-filled, moronic arseholes using it!

If you manage to capture him on one of those mobile CCTV cameras everybody carries about with them in their pockets nowadays (I believe they can also be used to make phone calls), you can post it on YouTube and ruin his life.

With a more relaxed atmosphere in Divs 2 and 3, I would expect bigotry to in fact thrive and grow amongst Rangers fans if they are playing there.

It seems that when Rangers fans are in smaller numbers (in European away games for example), the bile just gets worse.

The decent fans seem to not be the ones that travel in numbers.

GoF
With a more relaxed atmosphere in Divs 2 and 3, I would expect bigotry to in fact thrive and grow amongst Rangers fans if they are playing there.

It seems that when Rangers fans are in smaller numbers (in European away games for example), the bile just gets worse.

The decent fans seem to not be the ones that travel in numbers.

I still don't know what 'bigotry' you're all referring to. Without being rude it's like talking to a bunch of politically correct automatons.

If you're referring to God Save The Queen, The Sash or Rule Britannia, you'd have to explain how it's bigoted. If it's simply because you don't like the Union, or because you hate the Queen, then I would suggest that it's you who's the bigot, Sir!

What about your hanging Catholics from gallows song for starters? Don't pretend it's not still being sung. It comes across loud and clear on TV.

All the old "fenian" ones will come out again when you're in the lower leagues and away from all the spotlight.

GoF
What about your hanging Catholics from gallows song for starters? Don't pretend it's not still being sung. It comes across loud and clear on TV.

The song you're referring to is Build My Gallows. It's obviously not that clear. The lyrics:

I am a Loyal Ulster man
They say this day that I must hang
Cause I fought the IRA
They say that I must pay
Well they say this day that I must hang.

So build my gallows build them high
That I might see before I die
The Antrim glen and the hills of County Down
And I'll see again the lights of home

All the old "fenian" ones will come out again when you're in the lower leagues and away from all the spotlight.

Conjecture.

People do not sing the ones that include the term 'Fenian' because of the likelihood of being arrested, and I dare say it's easier to arrest/identify a smaller number of supporters, as will likely be the case in the lower leagues.

Thanks for the lyrics and further proof why we don't want Rangers or Rangers fans anywhere in Scottish football.

That song has what to do with Rangers Football Club and Scottish football exactly?

It's not a song about Rangers.

It's not a football song.

It's not even a song about Scotland for fucks sake.

Why don't you just go and apply for the Irish league since you seem more concerned with what happens over there?

And take the other half of what used to be the Old Firm with you and leave Scottish football to Scottish clubs and Scottish fans.

GoF
Thanks for the lyrics and further proof why we don't want Rangers or Rangers fans anywhere in Scottish football.

That song has what to do with Rangers Football Club and Scottish football exactly?

Why don't you just go and apply for the Irish league since you seem more concerned with what happens over there?

And take the other half of what used to be the Old Firm with you and leave Scottish football to Scottish clubs and Scottish fans.

It's historical. Glasgow experienced mass-immigration from Ireland, particularly the north of the island. Ultimately Celtic was the result of that, and Rangers became its nemesis.

Anyway, broaden your mind! You're so parochial. This is diversity in action.

Oh...and we also have literally thousands of supporters who come across the water.

Rangers Man
I'm genuinely shocked by the supporters' animosity towards us.

It occurs to me that you haven't made much a job of alleviating this over the last few hours.

does it not tell u something when there is more marches in scotland than there is in ireland or n.i . u dont get it do u. u r an embarresment to fitba. the irony will probably be lost to yous that the queen yous sing aboot has taken you down. you say it was not your doing but neither was livi or gretna the fans doing but yous voted them down. face it yous are a non entity in the big scheme o things thats why nobody wanted to buy rangers except asset strippers and con men. you want to start with no debt but still take jelavic transfer fee. but u are right on one score. no one likes u because you have no class and half of u would not even know how to get to ibrox wi a sat nav. we are the real scottish fitba fans and we dont do walkin away (davis mcgregor , aluko etc)so yous can cheat ur way into the first ah will be on the terraces supportin east fife. Tainted lol

KotS
Rangers Man

It occurs to me that you haven't made much a job of alleviating this over the last few hours.

I've been civil, even when provoked. If you don't like our songs then that's your right, but nobody's explained how the songs I have mentioned are bigoted.

I will bid you all farewell now. It's a nice forum, and I appreciate the fact that you have given me unfettered access to put across my viewpoint.

Best of British for the coming season, and I hope you get to travel to Ibrox in the near future.

Lets talk about football here and not Queen/fenians/religion etc

i know loads of bigot scum who go and dont go to games and i also know loads of fans who go and dont go to rangers games.

Genuinely feel sorry for the REAL Rangers fans, as i did when Partick,Dundee,Motherwell etc almost went bust.

i know plenty bigot East Fife fans also and so do many on here.

Ps... GoF ur innocence saved you in the song debate

trueblue

Well other clubs dont have debts like yous did at Ibrox Stadium *Cough and as for the 14 players or so thats walked away they have throwing their toys and stuff out the pram aswell, Cheats and hooligans should be placed in Division Three and surfar a trip to Stranrear & Elgin etc...Thats what yous get for destorying Manchester

We will see you in two seasons time where they wont be any home support at Ibrox then hahaha yous are well and truely fucked...time to send the orange walk doon the m8 to collect the money for Berwick rangers match away.

Mon The Fife! Black and Gold.

Rangers Man
KotS
Rangers Man

I've been civil, even when provoked. If you don't like our songs then that's your right, but nobody's explained how the songs I have mentioned are bigoted.

I will bid you all farewell now. It's a nice forum, and I appreciate the fact that you have given me unfettered access to put across my viewpoint.

Best of British for the coming season, and I hope you get to travel to Ibrox in the near future.

Cheerio, and good luck finding a new club to support now that Rangers are dead.

Try Linfield, Airdrie Utd or Chelsea.

Rangers Man
GoF

It's historical. Glasgow experienced mass-immigration from Ireland, particularly the north of the island. Ultimately Celtic was the result of that, and Rangers became its nemesis.

Anyway, broaden your mind! You're so parochial. This is diversity in action.

Oh...and we also have literally thousands of supporters who come across the water.

It might be historical RM, but it doesn't make it right. You full well know what the OF fans are doing when they both sing their so-called songs!

For the record, I do sympathise with the Govan and immediate area fans who support their local team, but have zilch sympathy with those that live no where near Ibrox and never have done!

You know, slavery is historical, being able to burn women at the stake is historical and underage sex is historical but being historical doesn't make any of them right.

As for painting orange walks as a nice wee tradition, please

The walks and bands themselves mainly behave themselves, the followers leave a lot to be desired - try and get across a street when a walk is going on, see where that gets you. It's normally a Saturday night in outpatients....

You have a democratic right to 'celebrate' politics, battles etc, that are no longer relevent in a modern day Scotland, I also have a democratic right to cross a street, not unterupting the band or marchers, and not get a bang in the puss for my trouble.

I've got relatives in the lodge, so I know exactly what I'm talking about.

So please do not come on here and insult our intelligence. Lose the baggage and you will be welcomed back, if not, please die, Preferably loudly and in agony as it's great for us diddies watching...

"You know, slavery is historical, being able to burn women at the stake is historical and underage sex is historical but being historical doesn't make any of them right."

Yer 1st and 3rd observations are happening more now than at any other time in history.
Go tell the estimated 100 million Dalits in India that slavery does not exist.ffs
Lets no get into modern day slavery in Africa and Asia,eh.
Back to school for you.

"So please do not come on here and insult our intelligence."

psychocop
"You know, slavery is historical, being able to burn women at the stake is historical and underage sex is historical but being historical doesn't make any of them right."

Yer 1st and 3rd observations are happening more now than at any other time in history.
Go tell the estimated 100 million Dalits in India that slavery does not exist.ffs
Lets no get into modern day slavery in Africa and Asia,eh.
Back to school for you.

"So please do not come on here and insult our intelligence."

Which village is missing an idiot?

I was referring to this country and you, the rangers fan and everyone else on the planet could see that.

Back to school? Settle down son, the adults are talking.

One thing niggling though, this is an East Fife forum, why would Rangers fans decide to come on here just now? Surely follow follow and any other site would be more in tune with what they are thinking rather than here. If it's to guage feeling amongst lower league fans (nowt like a 'who's yer big team?') then it's been made quite clear feelings across the board....