Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Comments from SFA Chief Executive

Are the remarks below the daftest ever made by an official of Scottish football?

By STEPHEN HALLIDAY
Published on Wednesday 4 July 2012 21:26

SCOTTISH Football Association chief executive Stewart Regan has issued a startling warning of "social unrest" in Scotland if newco Rangers are denied entry to the First Division of the Scottish Football League following the emphatic rejection today of their application to retain top-flight football at Ibrox.

Regan's remarkable comment came as he insisted admission to the First Division is now the only viable option if Scottish football wishes to avoid what he described as a "slow, lingering death".

Regan bluntly asserted that Scottish football simply cannot afford to have Rangers outwith the top two tiers of the league structure, with his argument not confined to the commercial impact their absence would have.

"Without Rangers, there is social unrest and a big problem for Scottish society," claimed Regan. "They have a huge fan base and to contemplate the situation where those fans don't have a team to support, where those fans are effectively left without a game to follow, I just think that could lead to all sorts of issues, all sorts of problems for the game.

"Tribalism in football is really important. It is part of the game. People follow their clubs with pride, it is passed down from generation to generation. There are thousands of Rangers fans whose fathers and parents and grandfathers have been Rangers fans. You can't contemplate a situation without that and if Rangers weren't to exist that could have real dire consequences.

Re: Comments from SFA Chief Executive

They were on Scotsman online but has now been removed.

Absolutely disgraceful comments and those of Doncaster SPL Chief who pretty much said the same thing, strikingly never once did he mention football fans at all. Donald Findlay got it right when he said a gun was being held to their heads. The stance of SPL and SFA is appalling in all of this.

Those comments are an absolute disgrace.

If the top clubs can't cope without Rangers, what would they have done once they pissed off to another League like they wanted?

If a Club cannot be a viable business concern due to relying on either one other team or Sky money, then you have to ask about their business practices. Such clubs also deserve to fail as they haven't followed proper business practices and have clearly spent beyond their means.

If the SFA were to punish Clubs that voted against Rangers and force a SPL2 without them, you know what? We'd be left in a cracking League with local derbies and top fixtures every week.

The death of Scottish football? Far from it. It's the chance for it to flourish and get the game back to what it used to be - local, not global.

Couldn't agree more EC - absolutely farcical statement from Regan - our governing body's figurehead
We have now played 3 full seasons trying our damnest to reach Div 1- but now he "insists" they (of no league membership) must be allowed, in front EF and the other 20 SFL member clubs (and associate members Luke Spartans), straight into Div1????!

Despite no fault of their own (for now) for the SFL, the buck appears to stop here - A classic SPL/SFA "palm off".

"We've done our bit and passified our season ticket holders to buy now, so now to you SFL "Diddies", and btw if you say NO too then you are all doomed - except the few that voted with us, your SPL2 application is in the post - the rest of you (incl EF) can fleck off.

The blackmailed "choice" for the SFL is either to accept NewCo application to SFL and then immediately PROMOTE - note this is a reward, not a relegation or punishment - them two divisions to Div1 - debt and sanction free (that's those bad boys oldco's problem apparently) or be responsible for the Armageddon of Scottish football.

Including "social unrest???!!!
Look at Manchester, and that was when they were winning (or more accurately cheating)
Let's hope our board and at least another 15 hold their nerve and do what is right.

Apply the rules, no more no less, and do not let short term bribes or threats threaten our "beautiful" game.

Regan and his pal Doncaster have clearly shown they are out of their depth and should resign now. A most incredible rant. Given these bully boy tactics the SFL clubs will dig their heels in even more on this now.

I can't believe the comments the SFA head has made on this. As mentioned on another post Vlad at Hearts called it right when he spoke about the corruption in our game. I am frustrated when I readthat all sponsorship deals etc for SPL clubs hinge on both Celtic and Rangers being present in the top league. Surely that is an unhealthy situation for the game? Get Rangers to the 3rd or out of the game all together, force the SPL clubs to re-cut their cloth and lets get a structure in place that is fair and equitable for all clubs in the Scottish senior game.

I honestly feel that will the SFA comments and the bullying that appears to be going on that I will return my Scotland Supporters membership back and tell them to ram it because this is not what I love football for.

The bosses of the SPL, SFA, and SFL need to accept (as rangers have) that newco Rangers will start from division 3.

The sooner they do this then the sooner we can all move on and start tackling the challenges that this situation leaves us with.

I just hope the bosses put the same effort into overcoming these challenges as they have in getting rangers into division 1.

And anyway ...... There would be more social unrest from the majority of football fans in this country if rangers were allowed into division 1.

Still you have to feel sorry for these guys - it must be quite distressing to realise that Masonic influence is not what it once was.

Really clear these two mupppets are working hand in glove to act as cheerleaders for the special case that is Rangers. Given Charles Greens relatively dignified response to getting booted of SPL and their fans settled view they want to go to the third they cant be doing this for anything other than personal game.
Would like to see a politician raising their head above the parapet and asking for an inquiry into the relation ships, remuneration and governance of at the top of our game.
If these guys are (as they say when it suits them) merely officers who support and implement the wishes of their member clubs they have been severely overstepping the mark and should both be well on the road to getting their jotters.

Any one got Mr Regans email address?

Eugene,

Thanks for your efforts, and thanks to the board for listening. I'm proud to be an East Fife fan today.

Unfortunately, I can't say I'm proud to be a Scottish Football fan as well. Over the last few days, things have been said and actions taken to lead me to suspect either our football authorities are competely incompetent, or Mr Turnbull Hutton is right. Corrupt! Either way, there needs to be changes at the top after this is all over.

Jim Ballantyne and Campbell Ogilvie turn out to be Rangers shareholders. Remember the dual contracts investigation and Appelate Tribunal; what happened to them? Lawyers 'discover' a mechanism to reduce the SFL vote from 75% to 50%. Now Regan's threats of social unrest and "There’s really only one decision for the game now – that Rangers come into football in the first division."

Funny how nobody at the top has mentioned the risk of thousands of fans walking away from a game they now percieve as rotten to the core. That's what my fellow supporters are saying to me, and when I look in their eyes, I think they mean it. Many are making plans for regular Saturday aftenoon golf or fishing expeditions. Down my local, even the Rangers season ticket-holder, (grew up in Govan), is saying he won't go back if they're promoted without merit, because he couldn't enjoy a beer with us, or look any fellow fan in the eye, while supporting a team of cheats.

"There's really only one decision for the game now". I can think of a few others. A wholesale revolution at the top; Regan, Doncaster, Ogilvie, Longmuir all to go? How about the teams who value integrity leaving and starting an honest F.A., honest league and honest cup? Newco Rangers to be treated fairly, as any other club would be. If they have to start in the third, or at a non-league level, it'll be the greatest story in football. They'll make movies about it, it'll be the biggest sporting comeback since the Rocky series!

I'm emailing the SFA today to advise I will not darken their door for another Scotland match until those at the top are all gone and replacements selected who genuinely want to protect the game, not the money that goes along with it.

time for this guy to leave his position as this is a disgrace

"social unrest"

That's tantamount to incitement.

The original date for the SFL vote was next thurs 12th July. Now it's been moved to the next day! It doesn't take a brain surgeon to work out why the change of date!

This link is an excellent analysis of Regan's nonsense.

Sorry it's so long but I don't know how to shorten it.

http://scotslawthoughts.wordpress.com/2012/07/05/sevco-rangers-promoting-football-the-regan-way-lingering-death-social-unrest-and-problems-for-society/#more-1414

Thanks for the link Eugene, a very reasonable demolition of Regan's comments, couldn't believe what I was reading in the Scotsman yesterday. Do these people (SFA) believe that the public who indirectly pay their inflated salaries are completely stupid.....probably yes. League reconstruction and the current demise of Rangers are now being addressed together for the benefit of one defunct ex member club. He seems to have missed the point that Rangers FC have ceased to exist, they have stolen public money for decades, been liquidated, end of story. The new clubs application for membership should be dealt with like any other club applying for membership and his veiled threats of social unrest and the end of civilisation as we know it should be enough to force his resignation. This would happen in any other governing body so why not football? How can the leader of such an important organisation be allowed to be so out of touch with the public mood. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot! Judging by e-mails from my contacts abroad this is simply a complete and utter PR disaster for Scottish football. The anticipated well being of the 'product' has replaced the good of the game. Well f***ed off with the shambles!

Why has the SFL vote been moved from July 12?

MaRY_BaLE
Why has the SFL vote been moved from July 12?

Well what happens thru the west on the 12th July? Just a theory mind.