Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
A new way forward to support East Fife Football Club

Given the possible financial ramifications to EFFC in the newco saga, I have included a survey below to find out if East Fife fans would be willing to donate £100 each to the club. This would allow the fans to demonstrate support for the EF Board's stance to the newco issue.

The idea would, if supported, be to deposit all the money in to an account and present a cheque to the board.

Please pass the link on to EF supporters that you know who may not visit AFTN, the aim being to get 500 fans.

The survey will close after 31/07/2012.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/XCFQTVD

Re: A new way forward to support East Fife Football Club

Panwithin18
Given the possible financial ramifications to EFFC in the newco saga, I have included a survey below to find out if East Fife fans would be willing to donate £100 each to the club. This would allow the fans to demonstrate support for the EF Board's stance to the newco issue.

The idea would, if supported, be to deposit all the money in to an account and present a cheque to the board.

Please pass the link on to EF supporters that you know who may not visits AFTN, the aim being to get 500 fans.

Don't want to sound radical but how about turning up to see us for one season. I've done it for 42 seasons

I agree that an increase in supporters attending games would be great, however what I am proposing is an additional revenue stream for the club. IMO I think its fair to say the majority of fans on this forum have been asking the EF board to say no to the newco, with the caveat of not buying a season ticket / attending games if they didn't. This is a way of fans supporting that decision.

£100 each??!

Many fans struggle to pay 13 quid!

Jeez, where do we find them?

agree, its a situation alot of us find ourselves in that we dont have a spare £100 to give away.....by all means if you do then do it, but I and many others will continue to pay our £13 and go to as much games as possible as I cant comit to a season ticket. I support the club and will continue to go to games, I only hope that more fans feel the same and decide to get off their arse and contribute to the situation. We have the fan base but they simply don't turn up......here's hopig this season will be different

Panwithin18

Please pass the link on to EF supporters that you know who may not visit AFTN, the aim being to get 500 fans.

Are you Columbine in disguise

You're asking me to hand over £100 yet you wont use your real name, I think not!

He could be John 'Bombscare' Brown

I am also of limited means and £100 is a big sum for me.

Tenner a month by Direct Debit would be much more do-able.

However, my continued support for professional football hangs in the balance, pending the outcome of this debacle.

I have been an advocate for contributing to the managers fund since it was started. £10.00/month has been suggested on the latest post. Can be less can be more, up to the individual. If the crisis Scottish football is in requires the fans help then this is the way.

A chairman and board that's getting praise for their actions, a Fife legend as Manager. With the club taking a financial hit, this is the time for us to help. £100.00 one off can be a bit much in today's climate but £2.00 to £10.00/month from 500 fans would be a welcome boost.

Fifeyboab
I have been an advocate for contributing to the managers fund since it was started. £10.00/month has been suggested on the latest post. Can be less can be more, up to the individual. If the crisis Scottish football is in requires the fans help then this is the way.

A chairman and board that's getting praise for their actions, a Fife legend as Manager. With the club taking a financial hit, this is the time for us to help. £100.00 one off can be a bit much in today's climate but £2.00 to £10.00/month from 500 fans would be a welcome boost.

Spot on - how is it someone trys to get a bit of extra support for the club going (Ok £100 may be too steep for some fans) and gets a slagging for it?- youd think Panwithin was looking to pocket the money him/her self! I agree with Fifeyboabs sentiment and will be helping as much as I can afford.

Fifer 11
Fifeyboab

Spot on - how is it someone trys to get a bit of extra support for the club going (Ok £100 may be too steep for some fans) and gets a slagging for it?- youd think Panwithin was looking to pocket the money him/her self! I agree with Fifeyboabs sentiment and will be helping as much as I can afford.

Thanks Fifer11.
To know that one or two players are on the field that our extra contributions paid for would be a great feeling, especially if we do well.

My dream scenario would be two leagues! As the in Scotsman article last week, scottish footballs best era was in the sixties. Celtic and Rangers in European finals in the same season, Killie and Dunfrmline doing well in the fair cities cup. How?? Oldfirm wages within reason with a mix of youth and experience. Provincial clubs made good money from their Ibrox/Celtic park trips which allowed them to have good squads to compete. now,before old firm fans cry "foul", that is the handicap system we need. McCann and Murray bullied the authorities to agree that home gate money should be kept rather than split 50/50. Their excuse was that they could not continue to compete in Europe unless they had that extra cash. Did they do better?, not much. Then they complained that the reason they were poor in Europe was that competition at home was not good enough. Ofcourse the standard of competition at home dropped, they cut the provincial clubs finances!!

Oldfirm fans might not like it but that is the simplist handicap system we can do. In the USA there is a salary cap in the NFL as the fans were tired of the same four teams running away with the league. 50/50 gate money is the best way for Scottish football.

My opinion on Burley article? A player pundit that I admired but not anymore. His attitude shows the extent of the games problems. No thought to grass roots football. No thoughts of the diehard fans that are not born in the Glasgow area.

My thoughts on the two league system.
A large 1st Division gives smaller clubs hope for the future.
A league that makes consolidation easier.
No more repetitive games against the same teams as in a ten team league.
Smaller clubs can play at old firm, Aberdeen, hearts, Hibs etc. the 50/50 gate money gives them a chance to improve the squad and the grounds and build for the future.
In a twenty team league the managers can blood youth with less risk of relegation if safe with 5 games +- to go.

At the moment in the present set up teams in the lower half of the first, the second and third divisions have no hope to be top division clubs. This is depressing.

Two leagues is the way. Why shouldn't East Fife, Raith, Arbroath, etc not be playing at tynecastle, Easter road, Pittodrie. We ARE Scottish football.

Bob,when I go to Bayview as the rules stand,my money goes to East Fife.Why should we have to give lesser supported teams a cut of our gate.We struggle as it is without having to give the likes of Cowdung half our money then getting half theirs when we play them at the dump.

Theotherbob
Bob,when I go to Bayview as the rules stand,my money goes to East Fife.Why should we have to give lesser supported teams a cut of our gate.We struggle as it is without having to give the likes of Cowdung half our money then getting half theirs when we play them at the dump.

Theotherbob.
It's a question of balance Bob. If we were in the top division of an 18/20 team league, we would get half of the gate money from tynecastle, Easter road, Pittodrie etc. Even a 60/40 split (which newco offered) would be good.

Fifeyboab
Theotherbob

Theotherbob.
It's a question of balance Bob. If we were in the top division of an 18/20 team league, we would get half of the gate money from tynecastle, Easter road, Pittodrie etc. Even a 60/40 split (which newco offered) would be good.

Sorry Bob but I believe a club should live within the means of its own support.What you are suggesting makes us no better than the likes of St Mirren,Kilmarnock and the likes,who have been living on the money generated by being in an almost closed shop feeding of the Old Firm.Why should Aberdeen fans pay money to their club to give to us.If they wanted to do this they would come to Bayview for away games.

Just get someone to stand outside the turnstiles at bayview on match games to collect any lose change into a bucket aswell, its been done before for other causes than east fife fc. Its a idea that might work...!

Theotherbob
Fifeyboab
Theotherbob

Theotherbob.

Sorry Bob but I believe a club should live within the means of its own support.What you are suggesting makes us no better than the likes of St Mirren,Kilmarnock and the likes,who have been living on the money generated by being in an almost closed shop feeding of the Old Firm.Why should Aberdeen fans pay money to their club to give to us.If they wanted to do this they would come to Bayview for away games.

Agree to disagree then Bob. I see what you mean but it DID work originally until McCann/Murray got it changed. There has to be a handicap to make the game fairer. Other sports have handicaps. In Scottish football the simplest is to go back to splitting the gates. Eufa has a maximum debt rule to prevent clubs from overspending to buy all the top payers but the cap is still very high. The bigger clubs in Scotland regularly "steal" the smaller clubs players who show promise and end up gaining success from these players or selling them on for profit. 50/50 gate money split helps correct the balance. As I said earlier, 2 Divisions with a gate split gives us smaller clubs hope to be in the top division playing the top clubs again. I know right now we wouldn't make a top 18/20 Division, but at least if promoted to such a big league, maybe relegation would not be such a worry withe the extra income. In the present set up, the 1st Division is a nightmare 10 ten team league. Totally unsurvivable for more than 2 seasons. Cowden, Arbroath, Airdrie, ayr,Stranraer, etc and our goodselves never coped.