Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Newco to Div 3

Now confirmed! Amazing news. Shame about the pending Armageddon.

Re: Newco to Div 3

Personally I think a wee Armageddon now and then is good for you.

hopefully this will put and end to the newco drama. now get regan out

Now get Dumb and Dumber OUT!!!!!!!!

Poo Shoot
Now confirmed! Amazing news.
Thats a shame

Correct decision made by our fellow SFL clubs/boards will be interesting to hear what the SPL clubs have to say!

The SFA and SPL should hang there heads in shame in the way they handled the situation with trying to bully the lower leagues into what they wanted! Hopefully the SFL will maximise the situation with trying to secure some sort of tv deal or a even highlights programme! Mon the fife

well done the sfl. still think they will reconstruct leagues but at least the sfl have shown they cant be bought good on them.

I just hope they still go ahead with plans to change the current league setup in Scotland. Well done to the teams who voted them into the 3rd. I will also boycott the teams who tried to vote Rangers into the 1st. Quite liked going to the Glebe but hey ho!!

i take it we gain stranraer and lose airdrie.

Does this make us a big team now ?? Or are Rangers a wee diddy team ???

Stranraer move up to Div 2. Airdrie move up to Div 1.

Is there uproar out on the streets yet? Also the phone-in on radio Scotland 6.10pm tonight should be class

Still no statement on the SFA website. Typical of their media ineptitude.

But statement on Servco one saying

"It is now understood that on the back of a briefing SPL chief executive Neil Doncaster and SFA counterpart Stewart Regan gave to clubs last week that the SPL will introduce a plan for SPL 2 - which would include Rangers - and invite existing Division One members to join."

Interesting post from PnB

Worth maybe getting one thread over the boards to see where we are for clubs voting stances. Also an easier list for those like myself who plan to boycott those who say Aye. The list may not be accurate so worth adding yer bit in and I'll edit as per!

Aye (3)

Brechin City
Dumbarton
Stenhousemuir

Naw (18 )

Alloa Athletic
Annan Athletic
Arbroath
Ayr United
Berwick Rangers
Clyde
Cowdenbeath
Dunfermline
East Fife
East Stirling
Elgin City
Falkirk
Greenock Morton
Livingston
Peterhead
Raith Rovers
Stirling Albion
Stranraer

Not Declared (7)

Albion Rovers
Forfar Athletic
Hamilton Accies
Montrose
Partick Thistle
Queen of the South
Queens Park

Abstaining (1)

Airdrie United

Cannae Vote (1)

Dundee

Will Glebe Park also be joining the boycott lists of those who were suggesting Stennie for this treatment this season???

Frankie Boyle - "every second week now small towns throughout Scotland will experience what life was like in Viking times"

Rino
Correct decision made by our fellow SFL clubs/boards will be interesting to hear what the SPL clubs have to say!

The SFA and SPL should hang there heads in shame in the way they handled the situation with trying to bully the lower leagues into what they wanted! Hopefully the SFL will maximise the situation with trying to secure some sort of tv deal or a even highlights programme! Mon the fife

still to be confirmed, but hope it is a done deal

Servco have amended the statement on their website now to say that "last week" a SPL2 was mooted.

Don't usually read the Daily Record, but just there was one lying in front of me this morning as I waited for my car to be repaired. There was an interview with a board member and major shareholder at QOS, who said that for the sake of sporting integrity Rangers had to be punished, but he also said that in this case sporting integrity had to be pushed to one side to allow Rangers to be voted into Division One. How's that for a contradiction!!
Anyway, we know that Stenhousemuir, Dumbarton and Brechin were three of the five who voted for the newco to go into Division One. I think we can add Queen of the South to that number!

Did we vote against? Just making sure as just in from work.

If so, I'm going to start attending again as my faith has been restored.

Neil Doncaster, Stewart Regan, Jim Ballantyne, The Daily Record - your boys took a hell of a beating.

Hooray we can all go to Stennie next season with a clear conscience, according to a new statement they actually voted NO!!!

Clicky on the linky

Stennie Say No!!!

Jim Corstorphine
Don't usually read the Daily Record, but just there was one lying in front of me this morning as I waited for my car to be repaired. There was an interview with a board member and major shareholder at QOS, who said that for the sake of sporting integrity Rangers had to be punished, but he also said that in this case sporting integrity had to be pushed to one side to allow Rangers to be voted into Division One. How's that for a contradiction!!
Anyway, we know that Stenhousemuir, Dumbarton and Brechin were three of the five who voted for the newco to go into Division One. I think we can add Queen of the South to that number!

Did not Dundee and Airdrie abstain? That would cover the 30 meaning QoS did vote for Division 3.

probably tuesday before clarity could be seen, meetings by spl teams on monday

Looks like Stenny did vote no and QoS yes. Lots of despairing Doonhammer fans on P&B wondering whether to continue their support. I think their Board has betrayed them.

Mad Man
Did not Dundee and Airdrie abstain? That would cover the 30 meaning QoS did vote for Division 3.

No Airdrie were not allowed to abstain and had to vote. They voted No!!!

Clicky

Also it was noticed that according to the BBC, 29 clubs voted YES, that Rangers Newco should be admitted to the SFL. Presumably that means one club voted no to their admission at any level!!!

Wonder who it was???

East Fife FC want to make clear our views on the current “Newco” situation as it relates to SFL membership. We have taken into account the views of over 500 of our supporters who responded to our survey.

We retain an open mind on the subject of league reconstruction, and will carefully consider any proposal put to us in this regard. The board of directors of East Fife FC, however, is unanimous in its view that we shall not support any integrated plan that in our view compromises sporting integrity by involving the admission of any ‘Newco’ directly into Division One. Any “Newco” must follow the normal application route into the bottom tier.

Sid Collumbine

Chairman, East Fife FC

It does piss me off that they didn't have to reapply, had no accounts or real business plan and they get in instead of Cove or Spartans.

That said, at least it was (hopefully) finished today and we can all move on.

Odds on reconstruction to three divisions to help them get to the top flight a year sooner?

Sid Collumbine stated in last saturdays Courier that with the proposed stadium move now dead,The board would be looking to develop New Bayview and have a covered enclosure.
I know money issues now more than ever might be the big problem BUT East Fife have a real chance here to get a ground ready for possible league reconstruction with the chance of being in the same division as Rangers,Raith,Pars/Dundee,Cowden,Falkirk.

With stadium names being sponsored then the new 'Diageo' stand could be a winner for the club.

"If we build it...They will come"

Curiouser and Curiouser!!!

Dumbarton have now issued a statement that they voted NO also!!!

http://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=4040

So just who were the five???

Queen of the South have released a statement saying they voted YES!!!

http://www.qosfc.com/new_newsview.aspx?newsid=1292

So just who were the four???

Me and the family are in the bunker. Can someone please post when the social unrest is over.

King Kebab

Brechin and Albion Rovers were definite a YES and it wouldn't surprise me if Dundee voted yes as well.
If Sevco had been put in 1st Div they were certs to be team 12, but don't be surprised now if the SPL shite it and vote Sevco back in. Hence the reason for Dundee not wanting them in Div 3.
Stranraer were the 1 club who voted not to even admit them to the SFL.

I wonder what the official question they were voting on was bearing in mind that this new club don't even have a name? Do they even have enough players for a team?Do they have a business plan to deal with the drastic drop in income?Surely an already existing team like Spartans or Cove would be a safer bet since they're actually up and running?Let "Glasgow Gers" or whatever crap name they come up with apply next time there's an opening and they're actually an organised club.

MaRY_BaLE
Me and the family are in the bunker. Can someone please post when the social unrest is over.

kenwit
Sid Collumbine stated in last saturdays Courier that with the proposed stadium move now dead,The board would be looking to develop New Bayview and have a covered enclosure.
I know money issues now more than ever might be the big problem BUT East Fife have a real chance here to get a ground ready for possible league reconstruction with the chance of being in the same division as Rangers,Raith,Pars/Dundee,Cowden,Falkirk.

With stadium names being sponsored then the new 'Diageo' stand could be a winner for the club.

Lets just hope that after investing money in a new hun cage, we manage to stay up, and don't pass them on their way up the leagues!! A new terraced enclosure would be great but the trend is for 3G pitches for community use and East fife are being left behind by other clubs now, something we need to address.. that would be every bit as important for the generation of revenue.

Dysart Lino
King Kebab

Brechin and Albion Rovers were definite a YES and it wouldn't surprise me if Dundee voted yes as well.
If Sevco had been put in 1st Div they were certs to be team 12, but don't be surprised now if the SPL shite it and vote Sevco back in. Hence the reason for Dundee not wanting them in Div 3.
Stranraer were the 1 club who voted not to even admit them to the SFL.

Brechin were a definite NO, but I am hearing that Hamilton and Dundee did vote YES!!!

Soc "hun cage" ha, ha, ha

Stranraer were the 1 club who voted not to even admit them to the SFL

WOW well done Stranraer!

Our chairman features in this article from the Daily Rangers online (nah, I don't read it, it was quoted on another website). Also, below that, a leaked email which Channel 4 have on their website which shows the machinations which went on.

SFA boss Stewart Regan was clinging to his job last night after it emerged club chairmen wanted to hold a vote of no confidence in him.

As poisonous in-fighting threatened to tear Scottish football apart, SFA chief executive Regan managed to do the seemingly impossible yesterday by uniting the warring factions – against him.

And with the entire game in Scotland facing Doomsday, he was seen packing his bags at his Glasgow home for a short break.

Regan’s trip away came as it was revealed that SFL chairmen tried to hold a no-confidence vote in him – which was blocked by his ally, SFL president Jim Ballantyne.

One lower league club chairman yesterday branded Regan’s attempt to get Rangers into the First Division rather than the Third Division, where they are now headed, a “disgrace”. And he said the SFA would have to consider the chief executive’s position.

East Fife chairman Sid Collumbine said: “Regan’s attempt to have Rangers parachuted into the First Division is a disgrace.

“The SFL clubs made it clear that we weren’t interested in any backhanded deals.

“Rangers were voted into the Third Division because it was the right thing to do.

“Everyone wants to go forward now with their heads held high – including Rangers. I don’t think that could’ve happened had there been any other decision.

“It’s up to the SFA to decide Stewart Regan’s future but he has been guilty of poor leadership.”

Clyde chairman John Alexander was also angry at Regan’s actions.

He said: “I think we were all expected to fall into line. I don’t think they ever doubted that the SFL would fall into line.”

He added: “There was no alternative in their minds and they were driving a single agenda which is contrary to the picture they were putting across, which was that it was up to the SFL.”

Ross Blyth, vice-president of the Rangers Supporters Assembly, expressed the fans’ fury at Regan’s machinations.

He called for both Regan and SPL chief Neil Doncaster to go, saying: “The SFA and SPL have failed us and Scottish football as a whole. And Regan’s position is now untenable.

“I can guarantee you 100 per cent that Scottish football fans are all united in their view that Stewart Regan should go.

“It has taken him four months and there is still no plan on how to move the game forward.

“Rangers fans are happy with Division Three. We have taken the punishment and we want to start again but Regan has other ideas.”

Regan’s initial proposals for Rangers’ future were contained in a remarkable June 23 email, which was leaked yesterday.

He had begun working on them after Newco Rangers were dumped out of the SPL when the league’s members voted that they should be banished after going into liquidation.

They were designed to see Rangers be relegated just one tier to Division One – to ensure they returned to the SPL as quickly as possible in order to protect Scottish football’s finances.

He held a conference call with other key officials and drew up proposals before jetting off on holiday last month.

He then summarised the nine key points from the marathon phone session in the email which emerged yesterday. The email was sent to Doncaster, his Scotttish Football League (SFL) counterpart David Longmuir and other key figures.

They also included SFA vice-president Alan McRae, Hibs chief executive Rod Petrie and SPL chairman Ralph Topping.

Included among the instructions in the email was an order for Petrie to secretly brief the new Rangers owner Charles Green on the plans so there would be “no surprises”.

Green was told that he would have to pay all football debts, accept the SFA’s 12-month transfer embargo and waive the club’s right to a legal challenge.

The email also outlined plans for the SFA board to provide a £1million budget for the restructuring of Scottish football if clubs agreed to his plan, which would have seen Dundee take Rangers’ place in the top flight.

It also promised enhanced parachute payments to teams relegated from the SPL into the First Division.

Under the plans, the SPL and SFL would merge and create the Scottish Professional Football League in time for season 2013/14.

Doncaster was instructed to get support from SPL clubs and Longmuir was told to gain approval from SFL members.

Regan then casually signed off: “Speak soon ... now off to the airport!”

The plan backfired spectacularly on Friday when the SFL chairman rejected the proposals and voted 25-5 in favour of Rangers entering the bottom tier.

But Ballantyne – another recipient of the email – spiked the chairmen’s attempted no-confidence vote in Regan.

He argued that the meeting of member clubs at which they voted on Rangers’ fate was not the platform for the issue of Regan to be discussed.

An SPL meeting will take place tomorrow. It was claimed yesterday that the meeting would see an attempt to have Rangers voted back into the SPL or into a new SPL2 second-tier division.

But last night, it was clear that there is no chance that either option will happen.

and the leaked email...

Many thanks for your contribution and support over the last two weeks in trying to deliver a programme of change that will move Scottish football forward whilst addressing the need to deal with the Rangers matter with integrity and in line with our own values as an organisation.

I was hugely encouraged with where we got to last night on a long and tiring phone call and I thank all of you for your efforts to move this issue forward.

I thought it would be helpful if I summarised where I think we are:

1. The Rangers Football Club will be relegated to the 1st Division of the SFL with immediate effect and will be replaced in the SPL by Dundee FC.

2. The television rights for Rangers FC matches in the SFL will be purchased by the SPL for the sum of £1m as a one-off fee for the season 2012/2013.

3. The two leagues will merge into a single league body – The Scottish Professional Football League – effective season 2013/14 – with a working party set up immediately involving representatives from the SPL, SFL and (if required) the Scottish FA to plan the integration of the two bodies – people, rules, rebranding, commercial considerations and so on.

4. A new Board of Directors will be appointed to govern the single league. The make up of this Board will consist of an Independent Chairman, CEO, 3 representatives from the Premier League, 2 representatives from the Championship/Leagues 1 & 2 and 2 Independent Non-Executive Directors.

5. Play-offs will be introduced immediately with the first matches taking place at the end of the coming season 2012/2013.

6. Enhanced parachute payments will be implemented from the end of the season 2012/2013 to soften the landing for club(s) relegated from the Premier League.

7. A revised all-through distribution model will be put in place to provide: a) An all-through distribution model for clubs 1-22 and a minimum guarantee for 20 clubs in Leagues 1 & 2, equivalent to what they would earn under the current settlement agreement.

8. A Pyramid System will be put in place which open up the bottom of League 2 effective from the end of season 2013/2014 with the first opportunity for promoted clubs to enter the league being 2014/15 thus allowing for licensing to take place.

9. Consolidation below the Third Division to take place to create a Lowland & Highland League structure effective 2014/15 with appropriate play-offs and promotion/relegation to be put in place. Clubs to be briefed that the previous season 2013/2014 will involve the opportunity to enter play-offs for the first time.

In terms of actions/timings I think the following needs to happen in this coming week:

A) A joint statement today from all 3 bodies confirming that productive discussions have taken place on a new blueprint for Scottish football. Consultation will continue over the next two weeks with a view to clubs getting together week commencing 2nd July to try and agree the way forward. (D Broadfoot to provide this and circulate to DL/ND for approval)

B) Rod P / Jim B to finalise the all-through financial model by Wednesday this week latest.

C) Neil / David to finalise the detail on Governance, Commercials and Play-Offs (ideally Monday/Tuesday) and incorporate these, plus the financials in B) above into a legally binding Heads of Terms ‘draft’ for presentation to each league body w/c 2nd July.

D) DL to organise SFL Board Meeting w/c 25th June to gain buy-in to the plan and also arrange an all club meeting w/c 2nd July

E) ND to gain support from SPL Clubs 28th June

F) SFL Clubs Meeting to be planned for 3rd July

G) SPL Club Meeting to be planned for 4th July

H) Scottish FA Board to sign off on the final plan post 4th July. Subject to approval all bodies (including Newco) to sign legal documentation.

I) Agree joint communication strategy

J) In parallel to A-D above, could Rod Petrie please brief Charles Green confidentially on the discussions from a Scottish FA perspective so that there are ‘no surprises’ and there is a general acceptance of the plan plus all of the other conditions discussed e.g. transfer embargo, fines, repayment of football debt, waiving rights to legal challenge, acceptance of relegation and so on.

K) Andrew to ensure our check list of disclosures relating to Newco and Fit & Proper Person criteria are delivered by 2nd july. The Board will need these plus the Heads of Terms above in order to complete this plan.

The Scottish FA Board have agreed to provide a one-off restructuring budget of £1m on condition the above plan is delivered.

I hope this covers everything. Speak soon, now off to the airport! Regards Stewart”

Soc
kenwit

Lets just hope that after investing money in a new hun cage, we manage to stay up, and don't pass them on their way up the leagues!! A new terraced enclosure would be great but the trend is for 3G pitches for community use and East fife are being left behind by other clubs now, something we need to address.. that would be every bit as important for the generation of revenue.

Agree about the ground. Hun cage?? Great chance for the levenmouth gers fans to pay for a covered enclosure for us instead of taking their money to the West (if they get promoted).

Oops, did I say that out loud?
what I meant was- a covered terraced enclosure capable of accomodating a large away support, thus providing East fife with bigger gate receipts which would go a long way to financing the construction of such a vital development.

Or "Hun Cage" for short..