Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
communicatiom

I wonder if consideration of the fans could become a standing agenda item on East Fife board business. Little information on whether we are making any further signings only hearsay on aftn. Little information on mcmanus or cook I have heard various comments but little fact. Little info on tickets and reason for changing to mid week for game against the 'simply depressed' . We could dwell on the fact they are to blame for lack of info, but what are East Fife doing. Have the board written complaining on our fans behalf over the inconvenience this causes, after all we are the seeded team.
I believe communication with fans to be a top priority it eliminates conspiracy theories and makes fans feel more respected and involved.Its actually not hard we have the means of near instant news but seem reluctant to use it.
However, I don't suppose any of the above will happen today, so will get ready for the Peterhead and the start of a new season.

Re: communicatiom

I actually agree, i think there should be a better relationship between the club and the fans.

I think the club should keep us in the loop about alot of the goings on at the club, i.e signings, season ticket sales, push for promotions for tickets and attendences etc.
Bigger statements from the club instead of a small paragraph and just generally the same as what u have said above.

I wholeheartedly agree with “East Fife Loyal”, The club are particularly bad this new season at keeping loyal supporters up to date with a vast amount of news. Specifically new signings, as the new season officially kicks off for us on Saturday, and as yet we do not have a full squad confirmed. It is very worrying certainly for me that very good players (who can do a job at new Bayview) such as Alex King, Iain Williamson and Collin Samuel have not been signed (allegedly). It is also annoying that unofficially Bob Malcolm and Sean Jamieson have been reported as signed and no confirmation of this fact has been communicated via the club website. Every effort should have been made by the club to sign at least 4 out of 5 of these players. They have all shown up very well in the friendlies against most of the time competent players, who by all accounts will be superior or at least as good as those likely to be faced in the second division.

I am aware there will be reasons for some of these players not being signed and I am certainly a big fan of Sean Jamieson, therefore his signing is a very good one for the future, however it would not take a huge effort from the club to provide information relative to signings and also why there has been delays in releasing information on signings through the official website.

First of all it's important to remember that there are a lot of volunteers at Bayview who dedicate their time to doing what they can.

But on the original point I have to say that I do agree.

Sean Jamieson announced on his Twitter that he had signed and we haven't had a peep from the club.

We live in times when social media and internet sites need to be updated regularly, particularly by bodies such as professional football clubs.

It's maybe time that the club looked at doing something to better this side of things.

Agreed.

Took us quite a while to get a half decent club site made up. Now that we've got it, we need to actually start using it!

Still no news from the club on any trialist/signings, injuries etc. Good way to build a bit of excitement for the new season and get a few bigger early season crowds in...

There has been a lack of communication and respect towards the supporters for years which has cost the club money. I sponsered stony's home strip in his first season with the club. Stony a local lad so i was keen to sponser and give the club money. At the end of the season i expected a letter thanking me for the sponsership and would i like to continue to sponser stony or any other player for the following season. I received no letter or even a phone call. i was prepared to sponser every season,but not with the attitude of the club. The club has lost several hundred pounds and only themselves to blame and i would think other fans have been treated the same!!!

Yep, turns out we've a team playing at Tayport tonight but that was another secret.

And there were more trialists playing

Got admit lack of communication is rather alarming. The club should take a leaf out of Zak's book who's comms on the buses etc is second to none; keep it up Zak - EFFC come on up the anti Zak's efforts are voluntary too!

It was officially a Youth game, they worked with the seniors and allowed them to play trialists and injured players.

I don't buy into this "volunteer" nonsense. Its just a word which means free labour!
These people are passionate about the club. The club needs money to survive, fans bring in the money.
No fans = no money = no club.
This "issue" lies with the directors aka board.

Lazy barstewards or simply clueless when it comes to marketing?

Go figure.

Opinion
I don't buy into this "volunteer" nonsense. Its just a word which means free labour!
These people are passionate about the club. The club needs money to survive, fans bring in the money.
No fans = no money = no club.
This "issue" lies with the directors aka board.

Lazy barstewards or simply clueless when it comes to marketing?

Go figure.

Go get a life!

Just fired a quick email to the club asking what's happening. We haven't had an update on squads etc for weeks.

"Good afternoon Craig,

Many thanks for your email.

At present we have no news to report which is why the club have been quite as late.

However, we do have our full-time youth squad which will supplement the Manager's team if and when required.

We would like to thank you for your continuing support of East Fife FC.

In Sport,

Jim Stevenson."

Reply from the club. Seems a bit of a strange one considering that we've heard players signing on their twitter accounts, yet nothing from the club....

Can I just clarify the situation re players signing.

Once a player has signed his agreement contract the paperwork then has to be registered with the football authorities. This means actually getting the physical documents to Glasgow.

If it's a busy time or the post is slow it can take a few days for this to clear.

A player is perfectly free to tweet his signing as he walks out of Bayview of course but the club has to go through the above procedure.

We do try to update the website/FB/aftn as soon as we know it's all official though. No doubt there are times we don't do this as quickly as we'd like -apologies if this has happened.

As far as updates on injuries are concerned, lots of people including the opposing manager are interested in this so it may not always be the best thing to announce details!

Finally can I invite anyone who has any criticisms of how we do things to contact me directly so that I can discuss in more detail how you can help us do things better. You can call me on 0779 088 1760 or email efstpress@hotmail.co.uk. Your calls will of course be confidential if that is what you want.

Hope this helps

Paul Sheerin at Arbroath has his own Twitter account. He keeps fans updated on games, trialists and is the first to announce signings as well. Maybe look into getting Durie to do something similar.

Maybe the Club could look into a Commercial Manager-type role for someone, like we've had in the past (?) Someone with media/communications/marketing expertise. There must be a Fife fan out there.

It's crazy that we didn't even have a compiled 'list' of our Pre-Season fixtures on the site. All Clubs from Junior to SPL get that on ASAP to get as many punters turning up (or planning to turn up around their holidays).

Has anyone who hasn`t renewed their Season Ticket (yet) had any contact from the club asking them why they haven`t and if they intend to do so?

St Pauli Fifer
Maybe the Club could look into a Commercial Manager-type role for someone, like we've had in the past (?) Someone with media/communications/marketing expertise. There must be a Fife fan out there.

Or even just a person on the board who could be a link between the directors and the fans. The communication is woeful.

How can these muppets manage it but we can't?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lcks159cufI

That's quite cool. It's not enough that they've left us in their wake on the pitch.

Shithole stadium though

Usual over the top comments on this subject.
Such a shame that posters can't keep their criticism constructive as the club have come on in leaps and bounds in terms of their relationship with the fans in recent years, all thanks to the unpaid EFFC supporters who do the (apparently) thankless tasks on behalf of the moaners.

Looking after one of the finest playing surfaces in Scotland

Producing the award winning match day programme

Organising a welcoming match day reception at the stadium for players, officials and fans of both clubs

Providing excellent highlights and post match interviews for the supporters on EFTV

Providing live commentary for visually impaired fans

High quality photograph images of every match on the website

Supporters' trust representative with full voting powers on the Board of Directors

Subsidised transport to away games (eg Kilmarnock)

Directors responding to supporters' concerns re the Newco situation over the summer

How many previous regimes would have facilitated the above? Yes the website could probably be improved, but it is a huge improvement on the previous site. How about some constructive suggestions and perhaps even some offers of assistance?

Let's not get carried away and keep things in perspective.

only thing that bothers me most is that the club dont promote East Fife enough, the new saltire top should be displayed in the East Fife Mail and in sports shops, we should sell ourselves more.
With schools using computers more than ever these days then there's surely someone or someones son/daughter who can help the club with their knowledge and promote us more.

Was Shocked to read about the guy who sponsored stoneys shirt last season then had no feedback at the end of the season regarding re-sponsoring or even a thank you, the commercial side of the club needs improved but credit to all those who help out and work hard for the club

Kings of Fife
Usual over the top comments on this subject.
Such a shame that posters can't keep their criticism constructive as the club have come on in leaps and bounds in terms of their relationship with the fans in recent years, all thanks to the unpaid EFFC supporters who do the (apparently) thankless tasks on behalf of the moaners.

Looking after one of the finest playing surfaces in Scotland

Producing the award winning match day programme

Organising a welcoming match day reception at the stadium for players, officials and fans of both clubs

Providing excellent highlights and post match interviews for the supporters on EFTV

Providing live commentary for visually impaired fans

High quality photograph images of every match on the website

Supporters' trust representative with full voting powers on the Board of Directors

Subsidised transport to away games (eg Kilmarnock)

Directors responding to supporters' concerns re the Newco situation over the summer

How many previous regimes would have facilitated the above? Yes the website could probably be improved, but it is a huge improvement on the previous site. How about some constructive suggestions and perhaps even some offers of assistance?

Let's not get carried away and keep things in perspective.

Nobody, as far as I can see, is criticising these things and we are miles away from the dark days of the Brown era in so many areas thank goodness. The club are to be congratulated on all of the strides they have made in recent years. However basic, up to date, information on what is happening at the club still leaves much to be desired. As kenwit says, the club does not sell itself very well and the fact remains that for a senior football club, we have a very low profile and could do being so much more to raise our profile across Levenmouth, Glenrothes, the East Neuk, Cupar etc, etc.

Keeping people informed about the day to day going ons is part of this and keeps folk interested in the club. We live in a fast news and social networking world and we need to raise our game considerably in these areas in order to attract new younger fans as well as keeping old soaks such as myself on board.

St Pauli Fifer
That's quite cool. It's not enough that they've left us in their wake on the pitch.

Shithole stadium though

. As much as I dislike Cowdenbeath,you gotta hand it to them.