Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Attendance

Radio Scotland saying that if they were a director of East Fife tonight they would be seriously questioning the "official" attendance of 38,000 at Ibrox considering East Fife get half the gate where were Sevco hiding the extra 14,000 empty seats as they were all full as far as they could see!!!

Think we need to get on the blower to the HMRC in the morning or were the other 14,000 fans (who held up the start for 20minutes!!!!!) all tax free punters????

hhhhhhhmmmmmmm.......

Re: Attendance

Seems even the rangers fans dont even believe it, some say it was corrected over the tannoy to 48000 but i didnt hear it. Most seem to think that was about right. Possibly the club deck wasnt included in the total since it was opened late. Either way a good and much needed payday for us.

To my left it looked completely full up above and below.At the far end it looked full.The main stand had some empty seats to the left and the club deck had to be opened.Icertainly thought there was more than 38000.What was the official attendance?.Do you just take their word that it was what they say.

dont think we can argue when we couldn't even sell 1000 tickets, what happened to the songs ,cups and banners?? poor show!

I think you are being very hard on yourselves. You brought a very decent following and made some noise.

Look at the pictures taken by the daily mail do you see any empty seats.

just popped on to your site to give a wee apology to 1 of yer away fans who was trying to say something to me but he was pretty well oiled and never knew what he was saying after he left i realised he was alone and was probably asking where to go.but reason i posted in here is to add a note to the attendance...we were told a day or 2 ago that club deck in ibrox would not be open and that is apparantly 7000 seats plus i was in govan stand which was 99% full coapland road and broomland was full but main stand had a few thousand seats empty at the rear and few empty seats scattered in main front..the attendance was right i would say.gl

lestor piggot
Look at the pictures taken by the daily mail do you see any empty seats.

i seen plenty empty seats ,stop being paranoid

38k seems about right.

DReW_PeaCoCK
38k seems about right.

Totally disagree. It looked way over 40+. Club Deck initially closed then opened, and was way over half full, the govan, Copland and broomloan were all packed! Cheated out of another 20k.

I doubt that there were 14,000 extra seats empty. Wonder what percentage of the Rangers support (who were fantastic except for one guy who, as I was making my way to the car after the game, shouted "Do East Fife know the sash?" in my face)will have been "concessions"?
Hopefully East Fife won't have to wait to long for their share of the proceeds.

The atmosphere was probably the best I have experienced at an EF game. As Tamsun says, there's always one! One numpty came up to me bfore the game & said something about my scarf, that was the only word I understood, scarf! The rest was just the biggest load of giberish!
Caused a wee bit of a stir before the game when I was spotted on the cameras with a box full of wires & a mic! Immediately pounced on by security (thought they were excellent btw) wanting to know what I planned to do with it. Got the all clear after explaining that I was commentating for Billy & Uncle Eugene had cleared it with the powers at be! Pretty impressive that the cameras picked that up I thought.

Definitely the best atmosphere I have ever experienced at a East Fife match.

The commentators menntioned the attendance a dozen times. they were incredulous at the official figures. They said that there were only a thousand or so empty seats.
Also said that they had to be careful of what they said but then mentioned that there had been issues before when Celtic had been accused of "massaging the figures".
Charles Green was asked about the attentdance and his reply was something like this "well you know how it is 20,000 pay to get in and 20,000 don't". Can't remember if this was his exact words or not, but you get the gist. Meaning only two things either that they only put 50% of the actual gate through or there were 20,000 comps given out.
If there is 10,000 of a difference that could mean around £75,000 to East Fife. Thats an awful lot of money.

From the BBC website

"New East Fife manager Gordon Durie, the former Rangers striker, will have to be content with a bumper pay day from the shared attendance that looked more than the official figure of 38,000."

From the away section view I would say its about right at 38. The commentators are maybe suffering from that Bayview syndrome. When you a re in a stand thats relatively busy you cant pick out the individual seats that are empty to your right or left due to the MASSIVE HEIDS in your way. I saw plenty space in club deck enclosure and at left corners etc.

Now, now stop being greedy, paranoid and nasty. As soon as money comes into it, a lot of guys just lose the plot. It was a fair sporting event. I was there and saw plenty of empty seats. The crowd was much bigger than anyone could have hoped, but by no means was it at capacity.

You guys will do well out of it - which is more than you could previously have hoped for.

Lets maintain friendly relations I say, and build a strong league that will benefit everyone.

1st pic i seen today was in The Sun ,Dean Shields chipping Broony ,in the background a view of about 100 seats and fans and u can clearly see empty seats and this is in the supposedly packed area thats been mentioned in this forum.

if u want further proof of empty seats then go on YouTube and watch some footage(plenty of clips) and you'll see for yourself.
This all started with Radio BBC Scotland making these claims of the attendance,stop the paranoia

Great night at Ibrox

A Rangers fan was telling me today that insiders are saying that they reckon that Rangers haven't taken the pay-at-the-gate attendees into the crowd figure....yet. Don't know how true that is, and/or whether we'll get another penny.

I'm more than happy with the money from 38,000 anyway. We'd have all settled for that before last night.

From BBC...
Many observers believed the attendance was greater than the official figure.

"It seems to me like the old days where there were 40,000 but only 20,000 paid and the other went god knows where," admitted the chief executive (Charles Green).

Sparky and/or Kenwit - you seem obsessed with talking our attendance down as well as the overall attendance, but if that makes you happy then who am I to complain?

Yes there were patches of empty seats, hundreds of them, in fact I might go as far as to say there were thousands of them. maybe even a few thousand.

But 14000? - more than 25% of the stadium? If put all together would equal over the whole Copland Road or Broomloan stands being totally empty?

Not even saying it was deliberate cheating or even a conspiracy (but it might be :-)
With a minute to KO they were still Qing round the block and they had to get them all in somehow.
Guy in the Govan deducted 7000 because it "said" the Club deck would be closed? - that was the top bit across from you (if you were there?) that was at least half to two thirds full.

38000 in that stadium last night?
No. I don't think so.

Reporter
Sparky and/or Kenwit - you seem obsessed with talking our attendance down as well as the overall attendance, but if that makes you happy then who am I to complain?

Yes there were patches of empty seats, hundreds of them, in fact I might go as far as to say there were thousands of them. maybe even a few thousand.

But 14000? - more than 25% of the stadium? If put all together would equal over the whole Copland Road or Broomloan stands being totally empty?

Not even saying it was deliberate cheating or even a conspiracy (but it might be :-)
With a minute to KO they were still Qing round the block and they had to get them all in somehow.
Guy in the Govan deducted 7000 because it "said" the Club deck would be closed? - that was the top bit across from you (if you were there?) that was at least half to two thirds full.

No. I don't think so.

well that is u and others opinions (or maybe u r the others??), my opinion is different.

i hope u dont use celtic chairman Peter Liewell's 'Seville Calculator' or this time next year there'll be 25'000 empty seats

hopefully u can inform us the actual attendance at bayview every match day

its roughly the equivelant to having a empty east end park fitted into ibrox cant see how it would have fitted in !!

What i find annoying about the attendance figure is that there seems no way to verify what the actual attendance was.Is the rule that after expenses we are entitled to halve the gate money.We have to take the word of Mr Green and his cronies and his comments do not help.How about some honesty please is it not a new era.

Reporter

No. I don't think so.

Not obsessed at all neebs. Im saying your club announced the attendance as 38k , it looked about right to me and the official attendance will go down as that submitted to the authorities by the club. If turns out to be more than that braw, mair cash for teh Fife.

On the night I thought the 38,000 figure was wrong. I have since watched the highlights on the BBC website and you can see more of the empty seats in most stands. They were not as full as appeared on the night. I think we should now put the conspiracy theories to bed.

Travelagent
On the night I thought the 38,000 figure was wrong. I have since watched the highlights on the BBC website and you can see more of the empty seats in most stands. They were not as full as appeared on the night. I think we should now put the conspiracy theories to bed.

.....unless the BBC airbrushed the footage to turn occupied seats into empty seats......