Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Beyond the breeze block- Albion Rovers programme column

Any contributions for this weeks topical column questions

Memories of Coatbridge or Cliftohill-- Any input from Fifers who were a actually at the 7-0 midweek game a few seasons ago? How was Owens Bar for you? Tanked up in Townhead?
What sports should be added to the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow? Throwing the Buckie bottle, Synchronised Sofa Burning, Jakey Steeplechase you get the idea.
Who is your local sporting legend? Kirkland Table Tennis Coach, Kennoway Judo Dan etc.

Best contributors get a mention.

Cheers

Re: Beyond the breeze block- Albion Rovers programme column

What about when the wee rovers knocked us out of the league cup and the supporters bus window got panned in.

Turned down at Airdrie bus station, the bus had no option to head home. Then the rain came down!

Also remember being there the day of the non Grand National and more folk headed for the tv in pie shop in the stand!

Oh and they had a pa announcer that took the p out of anyone but took the banter back!

cheers Mikey, Keep em coming chaps.

My memory can stretch back to the first game of the promotion season 1970/71 when we were playing at Cliftonhill. Dave Gorman was injured, it could have been broken ribs, and who did we put in goals - Bertie Miller! I used to think Dave Gorman was small for a goalkeeper but Bertie was about kneehigh to a grasshopper. I remember the ambulance coming round the speedway track to tend to Dave Gorman and, although Bertie was in goal for a reasonable amount of the second-half, I don''t think he let in a goal (we won 3-1).

Davie Kirkwood's EFFC debut aged sixteen in 1983-84. We hadn't won at Coatbridge since the aforementioned 1970-71 game. He came on as a second half substitute and scored the winner with his first kick of the ball.

We were playing against Albion Rovers a few years back and a certain Mr Yardley was playing at the time with a few extra pounds shall we say when a shout cried out from the terracing of "Hoy Yardley a remember when that tap was pin striped"
Actually think he went on to score the winner for them after that but he was massive at the time and players struggled to get round him never mind the ball off him.

Yep, this was at the other end of Mr Yardley's career from when he played for us as a young trialist with us fully expected to sign him up. The trial game was against the said Albion Rovers and he had a total 'mare.

We decided against signing him and he went on to score a load of goals against us for Cowdenbeath (some things never change) and then of course he went on to play in the Premier.

Going to Cliftonhill for the last game of the season a couple of years back in fancy dress dressed as Wiilie Gray. Jim Corstorphine has the photos.
Also a number of Fife fans had inflatable hammers as a 'tribute' to John 'the hammer thrower' Gemmill who didn't seem to see the funny side as he went up the tunnel !

My memory is being about 11/12 and my dad sending me to the pie stand for the BURGER crew (to get around 12 pies), I couldn't carry them all so got a box (which was overflowing) Just as I began to walk up the stairs someone started singing "Who ate all the pies", in which the whole support joined in. Humiliated is an understatement.

Lee
My memory is being about 11/12 and my dad sending me to the pie stand for the BURGER crew (to get around 12 pies), I couldn't carry them all so got a box (which was overflowing) Just as I began to walk up the stairs someone started singing "Who ate all the pies", in which the whole support joined in. Humiliated is an understatement.

It was character building though wasn't it?

Or at least, that's what your therapist should have said!

I seem to remember Gattuso driving us through in the back of his work van one time. It was a bumpy ride for those in the back but I was sat in the front beside the driver - coz I'm a lady! The rest of the BURGER lot had dust sheets for seats and rolled about the van coz the driver did not spare their nerves when going round corners! I have no idea what the score was that game. I seem to remember only the dodgy journey!

First trip was around 1987 in the back of a packed removals van driven by Stevie Gates' pal Henry.. van got attacked my neds throwing boulders/barrs bottles. A lucky escape.

Second trip was a season or two later on a supporters' bus. The driver fucked off to the bookies and the bus got broken into. They stole everything that wasn't nailed down including my leather jacket.
Not been back!

Lots of good & bad experiences at old Cliffy!
The league cup penalty defeat was horendous, Pogo Smith's penalty was so weak the keeper was diving the wrong way but still managed to get back & save it!
Telling Jim Dick that he wouldn't last 60 minutes then to watch him getting sent off after 56 minutes was brilliant!
Bursting a gut to get to a game in time only to have to watch Shagger score the winner for Rovers was devastating!
The banter with Tam Cowan's brother before, during & after games was what football should be all about
But the inflatable hammers for John 'look at me I'm fabulous' Gemmell was a stroke of genius even if I say so myself!

Last season we were standing near the pie stall when an auld local guy shouted out an order for a square sausage roll,the wummin in the stall shouted back "nae bother doll,but we`ve had tae put the price up cos wur gettin` the right guid wans oot FARMFOODS noo!"

Some great stuff here guys and gals. Thanks. Does anyone remember the 7-0 ( or was it 7-1) midweek game at Cliftonhill. I'm sure it was in the Jim Moffat era, Sean Palizcka scored and no East fife fan has ever proved they were actually there there.

Local sporting hero angle coming along nicely too.

See you all saturday.

Think it was 6-1 with Palickza scoring a hat-trick. But no, I wasn't there either.

I`m sure it was Cliftonhill where the pie stall was run by Asians. I remember getting a pie and puting red sauce on it, only to find out when I took a bite that it was pakora sauce!! GADSAKE

Also Big Owens before it was refurbished was a right dump and Big Owen himself was a crabbit old sod. The carpets were crawling and he had the hard neck to moan when my Son dropped a crisp crumb on the floor.

you're getting senile Tam, it was Firs Park that you got the food poisoning at! If I recall we palyed there on the Tuesday night & got beat 3-0 then on the Saturday were 2 nil down at half time with everyone screaming for Shannon's head! On came Dickie Gibb & we won 5-2!
You might not have seen the second game due to your jippy tummy!!!

A few salient points.

Pakora sauce on a scotch pie could be go-er. Well it was for Tam anyway.

Like most folk who attended the midweek Firs Park debacle I found an excuse not to return on the Saturday. I mind storming along to buy the Sporting Post that night only to find that it had decided to cease publishing. Loved that paper.

Finally, did anyone witness the 6-0 Cliftonhill massacre? Did it actually happen? I hae ma doots.

and apart from Sean Palickzas hat trick what I remember is a fabulous free kick scored by Frankie Fairbairn even better than Bobby Linns against the rovers.

I was there
and apart from Sean Palickzas hat trick what I remember is a fabulous free kick scored by Frankie Fairbairn even better than Bobby Linns against the rovers.

You sir, should be in our hall of fame. Three weeks to track someone down that witnessed it!