Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Change Required

We are stuck in the doldrums and heading the wrong way at pace and for me things have to change now. We have a board that are stuck in the past, no ambition and no communication whatsoever with the fans.
We make nigh on 200 grand from the Rangers game and we hear nothing about what they plan to do with it. Spend money on players, improve the ground, just something would do. If we go down to the 3rd, missing the Rangers money that would come our way in the process, you will lose masses of what little fans we have left.
New board, new ideas from somewhere please, we are a joke of a club at the moment.

Re: Change Required

Agreed.
We don't look like scoring goals. We look incredibly good at loosing goals. Barring Darren Smith we have no leadership on the park. Michael Brown has saved us from a doing today. I fully appreciate that with a number of changes like today it is hard to hit the ground running but please, that was piss poor.

Albion looked like they came for a point and then at half time they realised how bad we are, they had a go in the 2nd half and totally dominated. A perfect start then utter dross after 30 minutes.

We were once a great club now we are miles behind Ra*!th and Cowden-bloody-beath. How have we come to get to this? How have we fallen so far? When will the board do something, anything to get us going again? I don't have the answers but surely investment in the team is a must to get a winning side on the park and get us back to where we belong. Sick of my club being run like a bowling / golf club. Please, as a club, can we stop accepting pish standards at every level in every department. We are East Fife FC - once great, now nothing and sadly that's reality. I actually wanted to hand my season ticket back today.

The other Fife teams sitting 2nd, 3rd and 4th a league above us.

One for the stattos, have we ever been that far behind the 3 other Fife teams in our history ?

Kings of Fife indeed

Totally feckin disgusted by that today. We are SHITE; mark my words, serious changes or we are doomed. No one out there gave a feck which is totally unacceptable! As I said last week Michael Brown is exempt from any criticism as he was brilliant again!

I have followed East Fife since 1946, through good times and Bad, 3 Cup Finals (winners) and 1 losing Cup Final, but never have I seen anything as bad as that. If your looking for change dont hold your breath, it wont happen. The Club are exactly where the Board, made up of a bunch of 'yes' men, want them to be, so dont expect improvement any time soon. I for one wont be back, I can think of better things to do with £10, plus a round trip of 40 miles.

Bad today broony gave us a chance. Sloany should be captain he was putting in challenges all over the place and wanted the ball the rest of the midfield were shocking and as for our captain ! Get a fekin grip and put a shift in. Programme notes about the rangers game etc ! Forget it Darren open yer mouth want the ball and give sloany a hand. Was delighted to see chissy saw it. excuse my ignorance but who was the number 3 he was a farce at left back in second half he looked like he had concrete in his boots. Bottom line today no team work no leadership on park no talking apart from broony. Needs sorting out hope dukebox is back soon

Coonsil Tax Payer
Agreed.
We don't look like scoring goals.

Well i said this the club has too many defenders yet again The lack of strikers and samuel getting a free ride at the club with no paper work through yet again. We need to strengthen this area so we can win games as we only have a half fit shagger, wardlaw and jamieson but who else plays there thats fit AND score goals in this team to win games Now thats what i call a problem too many defenders plus malcolm and the club is heading towards next season trip to the likes of montrose and east stirlingshire etc...wheres the goals coming from to be able to win and finish games off i say.

Why sign two loan players that are defenders & a midfielder from a team we beat in pre-season (Cough...Dunfermline). Come on we are much better than this that we are watching, Where is Rob Olgleby when we need goals this season.

Feeling u r pain lads (and ladyfan)

Wardlaw was great with us 2 years ago, same with McBride.

Davie White - top Cowden player 10 years ago!!!

From an outsider, the blame has 2 fall with u r board. You've always had a bigger home and away support than us. We r punching well above our weight, so why r n't u?

Well said Vince

Vince Sinclair
Feeling u r pain lads (and ladyfan)

Wardlaw was great with us 2 years ago, same with McBride.

Davie White - top Cowden player 10 years ago!!!

From an outsider, the blame has 2 fall with u r board. You've always had a bigger home and away support than us. We r punching well above our weight, so why r n't u?

Agree 100% but it's Durie that's signed these hasbeens and he should take the criticism.
I don't rate Durie at all and I certainly don't rate this current poor excuse for a board.

And I thought I was feeling bad!!!!!!!!

Only Queen Of The south and Forfar have conceded less. Its easy to see the problem is scoring goals. Although saying that if it was not for Broony we would probably have conceded the same amount as Ayr United. We seem to be easily exposed at the back even in the 1st half when we were in control. Broony had 2 excellent saves in the first half and 3 terrific saves in the second. Going to be a long season its the worst start we have had in the 5 years in div 2.

Any coincidence that these last 2 poor performances have happened with durie not being there?Just a thought,players not giving a fuck or trying for chisholm.Heard chisholm on kingdom this morning saying how disappointec he was with the attitude of the players,they need a right boot up the arse when the gaffer gets back in the dugout.

Wasn't at the game yesterday due to work committments so can't comment of the performance overall or on any player but to criticise Darren Smith for commenting on the Rangers game in the programme is bang out of order! FFS he only answered the questions I put to him 2weeks ago then updated some of them last week when asked to!
Gedt a grip aye you need to Bt!

100% spot on Liam

gladstone fifer
Only Queen Of The south and Forfar have conceded less. Its easy to see the problem is scoring goals. Although saying that if it was not for Broony we would probably have conceded the same amount as Ayr United. We seem to be easily exposed at the back even in the 1st half when we were in control. Broony had 2 excellent saves in the first half and 3 terrific saves in the second. Going to be a long season its the worst start we have had in the 5 years in div 2.

Well Said. aye thats right and thats cause the problem is the strikers we have dont score enough goals to win games and we only have 3 of them and so many defenders at the club. Fact is we havent won a game since peterhead like i said and that wasnt even in the leauge. Someone has spotted this like i do

IF EAST FIFE VOTED NO FOR RANGERS TO BE INCLUDED IN THE 1ST DIVISION.
WHY THE HELL HAVE THEY GOT AN RANGERS PLAYER AS A MANAGER AND ALSO AN EX RANGERS PLAYER AS A PLAYER FOR YOUS WHICH HE ONLY GETS ON FOR 10 MINS OR SO

THIS ISNT EAST FIFE DIE HARD LIKE THE FANS THAT GO AND THE CLUB LOOKS LIKE THERE GOING TO THE THIRD DIVISION WITH THEM THERE AT BAYVIEW SO WHAT IF HE PLAYED FOR EAST FIFE HE STILL A RANGERS FAN NO MATTER WHAT

CMON THE GERS BRING IT ON SEE EFFC WHEN WE OVERTAKE U IN DIVSION 2 GET IT UP YOUS RTID WATP

EAST FIFE WILL GET KNOCKED DOWN BUT THEY AINT GETTING UP AGAIN

Just when we think we have problems along comes Billy Boy fuckwit to cheers us all up.
Son, you make junkie retards look bright

Alex The Butcher
Just when we think we have problems along comes Billy Boy fuckwit to cheers us all up.
Son, you make junkie retards look bright

WELL THE TEAM DONT LOOK FAR FROM BRIGHT SHOULD BE UP BESIDE THE COWDEN, RAITH THAN GETTING BEAT BY ALBION AND HAVE PROBLEMS STAYING UP. LEAST I HAVE BETTER ATTITUDE THAN A RETARDED JUNKIE. AND FOR UR INFORMATION RETARD I AM NOT A BOY............. WATP

steak pie

pie

Sausage Rolls

Fat Doug
We are stuck in the doldrums and heading the wrong way at pace and for me things have to change now. We have a board that are stuck in the past, no ambition and no communication whatsoever with the fans.
We make nigh on 200 grand from the Rangers game and we hear nothing about what they plan to do with it. Spend money on players, improve the ground, just something would do. If we go down to the 3rd, missing the Rangers money that would come our way in the process, you will lose masses of what little fans we have left.
New board, new ideas from somewhere please, we are a joke of a club at the moment.

We made nothing like 2oo grand against The Rangers

Smij
Fat Doug

We made nothing like 2oo grand against The Rangers

Well what did we make then, Mr Chief Financial Officer? Back up your claim with some evidence.

It was £152,000.

Sense of perspective anyone? Are some East Fife fans becoming like OF followers and declaring a crisis after two bad games (three if you count Cowden in the diddy diddy cup)

We are 4 games into the league campaign and have been beaten twice by one goal and drawn twice. Our Manager fell ill and has been out the game since 18th August and a virus has affected some key squad members.

Saturday we were missing McCormack and Muir who have been among our best performers so far and fell flat after McManus had to go off. We clearly missed Div in his ability to link defence and midfield.

Saturday was bad and the players know that but I think the squad assembled will be more motivated and continue to gel if GD gets is back in the driving seat soon.

On the issue of longer term progress I make it we have been in this league coming up 5 years. We have not yo yo'd up and down like Arbroath Stenny etc.
Its right we should envy Cowdens success but this has been built on a youth programme thats been going ten years. Ours is maybe in its third year at most.

I would like the board to have more vision and communication with fans and certainly think that promotion this year is badly needed.

My prediction for this year remains that we'll continue the incremental progress of the past few years and make a play off spot. If we do there is no reason why we cant be playing at our highest level for donkeys years.
Keep Calm Support the Fife.

Sparky
Sense of perspective anyone? Are some East Fife fans becoming like OF followers and declaring a crisis after two bad games (three if you count Cowden in the diddy diddy cup)

We are 4 games into the league campaign and have been beaten twice by one goal and drawn twice. Our Manager fell ill and has been out the game since 18th August and a virus has affected some key squad members.

Saturday we were missing McCormack and Muir who have been among our best performers so far and fell flat after McManus had to go off. We clearly missed Div in his ability to link defence and midfield.

Saturday was bad and the players know that but I think the squad assembled will be more motivated and continue to gel if GD gets is back in the driving seat soon.

On the issue of longer term progress I make it we have been in this league coming up 5 years. We have not yo yo'd up and down like Arbroath Stenny etc.
Its right we should envy Cowdens success but this has been built on a youth programme thats been going ten years. Ours is maybe in its third year at most.

I would like the board to have more vision and communication with fans and certainly think that promotion this year is badly needed.

My prediction for this year remains that we'll continue the incremental progress of the past few years and make a play off spot. If we do there is no reason why we cant be playing at our highest level for donkeys years.

Well said Sparky. One hundred percent in agreement.

Look at the start dumbarton had last year they sruggled in the bottom half of the league for the first 12 or 14 games before they clicked and went on a good run.Every team has a sticky spell at some point during the season lets hope this is ours now.The nature of part time football these days is at the end of each season most teams have a big turn around in players,due to clubs scared to gamble on any more than one year deals.It can take time time for things to gel and find out your best teams and formations.Lets not hit the panic button yet and lets see where we are at the end of the first quarter.

we're doomed ah tell ye,doomed.

Dont panic,dont panic.

Sparky....YOU STUPID BOY!

fan67
Look at the start dumbarton had last year they sruggled in the bottom half of the league for the first 12 or 14 games before they clicked and went on a good run.Every team has a sticky spell at some point during the season lets hope this is ours now.The nature of part time football these days is at the end of each season most teams have a big turn around in players,due to clubs scared to gamble on any more than one year deals.It can take time time for things to gel and find out your best teams and formations.Lets not hit the panic button yet and lets see where we are at the end of the first quarter.

Where exactly is the panic button? Is it in Collumbine's or the Manager's office? The dressing room, the trophy room or behind the wall at the sea end? And who gets to press it?

I think we should be told.

Sparky

So our manager fell ill. Our assistant manager took teams to 2 scottish cup finals!! Its no as if the tea lady is in charge

Fan67 and sparky.
2 good posts.
Been to all the pre season and home and away games this season (ano more money than sense, before anyone has a go!).
The team has to gel and with a wee 'rub of the green' we could have been sittin near the top. In this league there's no much between top and bottom.
QOTS were hanging on when they came to us a couple of weeks ago.
Don't think we'll run away with the league, but the play off should definitely be a target.
For those on here that want to hand back their season tickets back...get a grip!!... or join the hoards that travel to Glasgow every week!!!

rangers fan
WHY THE HELL HAVE THEY GOT AN RANGERS PLAYER AS A MANAGER AND ALSO AN EX RANGERS PLAYER AS A PLAYER FOR YOUS WHICH HE ONLY GETS ON FOR 10 MINS OR SO

THIS ISNT EAST FIFE DIE HARD LIKE THE FANS THAT GO AND THE CLUB LOOKS LIKE THERE GOING TO THE THIRD DIVISION WITH THEM THERE AT BAYVIEW SO WHAT IF HE PLAYED FOR EAST FIFE HE STILL A RANGERS FAN NO MATTER WHAT

CMON THE GERS BRING IT ON SEE EFFC WHEN WE OVERTAKE U IN DIVSION 2 GET IT UP YOUS RTID WATP

Does your head wand not allow the use lower case?

Cheers,

Harpenden Fifer

Liam Anderson
Wasn't at the game yesterday due to work committments so can't comment of the performance overall or on any player but to criticise Darren Smith for commenting on the Rangers game in the programme is bang out of order! FFS he only answered the questions I put to him 2weeks ago then updated some of them last week when asked to!
Gedt a grip aye you need to Bt![/quote

Aw right Liam forget the programme notes. He was shite, toothless in the tackle, showed no interst in helping Sloan, the team etc my point is at ibrox he ran about like a terrier open his mouth and basically acted like a captain. I would seriously ask him if he is up for the fight or going through the motions. Btw get a grip, really Liam! do you want to watch that shite. As you will have picked up that was honestly one of the worst displays we had put on for years

Steve
It was £152,000.

Not even that

Penpal
Fan67 and sparky.
2 good posts.
Been to all the pre season and home and away games this season (ano more money than sense, before anyone has a go!).
The team has to gel and with a wee 'rub of the green' we could have been sittin near the top. In this league there's no much between top and bottom.
QOTS were hanging on when they came to us a couple of weeks ago.
Don't think we'll run away with the league, but the play off should definitely be a target.
For those on here that want to hand back their season tickets back...get a grip!!... or join the hoards that travel to Glasgow every week!!!

"With a wee rub of the green we could have been sittin near the top"....How on Earth do you get that one?

We have certainly got the rub of the green in the last 2 games where we could and should have lost more heavily and you say we could have been sitting near the top.

Still, wait until this team gels, we will be unbeatable!!!

Mad Man
fan67

Where exactly is the panic button? Is it in Collumbine's or the Manager's office? The dressing room, the trophy room or behind the wall at the sea end? And who gets to press it?

I think we should be told.

thats the board again, not communicating with fans!!!

Smij
Steve
It was £152,000.

Not even that

What then? You seem to know an awful lot but are not telling. Are you the mole in disguise? Are you full of crap?

Am I missing something?
Sparky

So our manager fell ill. Our assistant manager took teams to 2 scottish cup finals!! Its no as if the tea lady is in charge

I dont know if you are missing something. I do know that in fitba as in any walk of life if the boss is missing, ill, moved on etc it can destabilise things in the short term. Thats particularly true if the boss is a hands on and inspirational leader and the assistant is the "bad cop" in the partnership.
I dont know what kind of gaffer GD is but there cant be anyone in the East Fife set up who had achieved what he has in the game and worked with such top managers. I think we have been guilty of taking all that for granted and the players have clearly missed his input.

Having read all the moaning about the team, the board, the managment etc I have to say i am a wee bit disappointed in some of the comments.

Firstly i am probably one of the few who actually thinks our board arent actually doing that bad a job. I know there are criticisms that they dont keep the fans informed with everything that goes on in the club, but what club does?? Man utd fans dont get updates on how the chairman is planning on spending the cash, Rangers fans were in the dark as to what was going on at their club pretty much all of last year! It is not a problem that is confined to east fife alone, and not one that would be suddenly fixed by ousting the board.
Could the board do more to market the club - yes probably, but if fans dont want to spend their cash to watch the team, then they wont do it regardless. Many said they wouldnt come back unless the board made a statement about the newco going into div 3, the board did so, how many of those fans jumped off the band wagon and came back through the gate?? I would suggest not many.

Also the criticism of the team / management seems over the top, bearing in mind we are only 4 games into the league campaign. No we havent seen a big signing, but the team needed to be rehauled and it takes time to build and gel. Look back over our last 2/3 league campaigns, how many times have we got off to a flier?? usually around christmas time we are all depressed about a relegation battle that soon turns into a fight for the play off place. Thats how quickly our league can turn around!!
We all knew the league would be hard this year, but do we just throw the towel in after 4 games?
Bad performances from the team evoke strong reactions, i understand that, and people pay their money at the gates etc etc etc. But it seems to me getting a good moan and grumble on the forum, is all some people are really interested in. This attitude of 'i go to all the games, i'm a real fan, my opinion is the most important' is just ridiculous.

Finally has anyone considered that maybe the reason we havent got a large squad is because it is harder to sign players? They will have played against us and no doubt heard the grief our players get from the stand, why would they want to join a club like that?? Apparently four bad games and its time for you to leave.

Agree

Gutted over last weekend....Had a good old moan to anyone who would listen... hated everyone from the board to the players for a couple of days... got over it all now.... looking forward to the next game (as there WILL be a reaction).

Thats the life of an East Fife fan am afraid....and it wont ever change me from being one.

Well said Mini. I was fuming after the Albion game, ruined my Sat night. Spoke to 2 of the players since and they know themselves they were brutal. This wee break will do us good tho, players have been struggling and hopefully we will be raring to go. Think our next game is away to Arbroath and i`m hoping we will see a massive improvement. I`ll be there anyway. Mon the Fife.

Just looked back the records on how the 2nd division looked last year after 9 games.East fife and dumbarton were joint 3rd bottom on 10 points,one point ahead of brechin on 9 points.Stirling albion were in a play off spot after the first quarter of the season.The league is over 36 games not the first 4 games,after the first 4 games last season we had been beaten by stirling albion thumped 6 nil by dumbarton and beaten 3 nil by Arbroath.So a bad start nothing new for east fife.Hopefully we can get a settled team and turn things around soon.

Unfortunately, we had a stronger team in a weaker league and still only finished 6th.

St Pauli Fifer
Unfortunately, we had a stronger team in a weaker league and still only finished 6th.

In your eyes we had a stronger team SPF. Not necessarily the case! How would you know anyway, haven't you stopped going to games this season??

rangers fan

SINCE WHEN HAS EAST FIFE EVER BEEN KNOCKED DOWN?? WE STILL EXIST AS EAST FIFE FC, THE SAME CLUB AS WE STARTED OUT LIFE AS. THE TEAM YOU SUPPORT HASN'T BEEN KNOCKED DOWN, THEY CEASED TO EXIST. YOU NOW SUPPORT A DIFFERENT TEAM!!

Laughing Lenny
Smij
Steve
It was £152,000.

Not even that

What then? You seem to know an awful lot but are not telling. Are you the mole in disguise? Are you full of crap?

Have guesstimate yourself,40% of gate receipts less VAT

Jocky
St Pauli Fifer

In your eyes we had a stronger team SPF. Not necessarily the case! How would you know anyway, haven't you stopped going to games this season??

Correct, I've not been all season, thankfully. Looks like I chose the right season not to renew my season ticket. I can comment on last season as rarely missed a game. I didn't know we'd replaced our two most talented players in Wallace and Linn with like-for-like or even better as you imply. I stand corrected.

Should start playing and winning some games like a proud East Fife team soon. A play-off is surely likely.

the rangers/rangers.newco thing

I WAS IN GLASGOW FOR A FEW DAYS LAST WEEK AND WAS TALKING TO SOME GOVAN RANGERS FANS WHO WERE DEFINITELY NOT STUPID. THEY WERE VERY ANNOYED ABOUT WHERE THEY ARE NOW BUT THEIR ARGUMENT BASICALLY REVOLVED AROUND "AYE BUT WE'RE RANGERS.' NOTHING AT ALL AGAINST THE CLUB, WHATEVER YOU WANT TO CALL THEM, BUT, UPPER CASE MAN, LOGICALLY WHAT WAS THE ALTERNATIVE WITHOUT SCOTTISH FOOTBALL'S REPUTATION BEING EVEN LESS THAN IT IS NOW? YOU'LL BE BACK!