Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
strikers

why is sean jamieson (if thats his name) not getting a chance to prove himself after all its not like we are scoring goals with the to OAPS up top

Re: strikers

1. He played most of the game on Saturday.
2. McManus is about 29.
3. Defence is much more of a problem.

johnboy
why is sean jamieson (if thats his name) not getting a chance to prove himself after all its not like we are scoring goals with the to OAPS up top

Because he is not as good as Mcmanus and Wardlaw as everyone saw against Albion Rovers. He is far too easy pushed of the ball and gives the ball away too easy.

Big sean had the chance to show that he was worthy of another start but didnt take it. He should have scored when he was clean through but shot wide and for me what east man has said is correct. He might look better along side shagger because we had 2 big guys up top and no one to run channels the way shagger does. The big problem for the team is the midfield are not giving the striker's chances and we all know that shagger in particular know's where the net is and wardlaw will score his fair share.

Arnie
2. McManus is about 29.

Yeah he maybe didn't play well on Saturday but confidence comes with playing games?
The more games he plays the more confident he will become? I reckon we should start him
In the next 3 games and persevere with it as in pre season I seen a good player!

Johnboy
Arnie
2. McManus is about 29.

Yeah he maybe didn't play well on Saturday but confidence comes with playing games?
The more games he plays the more confident he will become? I reckon we should start him
In the next 3 games and persevere with it as in pre season I seen a good player!

Doesn't really work like that. McManus and Wardlaw are proven goalscorers at this level and should be first choice when available. Sean will get more chances in the team both off the bench and when the others are unavailable. If he can get on the scoresheet regularly when playing them I'm sure he'll be considered for more regular starting places.

As has been mentioned though, I think who we have as our front 2 is the least of our worries right now.

Fred
Johnboy
Arnie
2. McManus is about 29.

Doesn't really work like that. McManus and Wardlaw are proven goalscorers at this level and should be first choice when available. Sean will get more chances in the team both off the bench and when the others are unavailable. If he can get on the scoresheet regularly when playing them I'm sure he'll be considered for more regular starting places.

As has been mentioned though, I think who we have as our front 2 is the least of our worries right now.

Well our two strikers are not finding the net so sean should get more chances

I don't think the problem lies with who we're playing up top tbh. As previously said, both strikers are proven at this level and when given the chances, they will score. Unfortunately, they are not being given any service whatsoever from the midfield. We have two wide men who cant beat their man, and our centre midfielders are too immobile to get up to support the attack. We are screaming out for a player with a bit pace and skill to play in behind the strikers and link up the play, a la Bobby Linn. When we attack, we dont attack as a unit. It is far too disjointed and there is no flow to the attacks. I would love to see us line up in a 4-3-1-2 formation, with one of the 3 sitting infront of the defence, as that is another problem for us, the defence has no cover from midfield. This is possibly why our defence seems to be everyone (including the management)'s area they wish to strengthen. The players we have attempted to strengthen this with, are no better than the players we have. The only problem we have in the defence is the lack of a natural leader, as imo, we have never replaced Steven Tweed. Hopefully these problems are sorted sooner rather than later, as we are looking like a long, hard season is on the way.