Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
FUCK OFF NOW LEVEIN

That is all.

Re: FUCK OFF NOW LEVEIN

Just back.... And echo the above.... Total feckin Tosser!.... arrogance personified ......

Taxi for Levein!

GoF
That is all.

Bit harsh Gof. No Brown, no Mulgrew. His mistake? Kenny Miller should not have started. Rhodes and Forrest should have been on from start. If he doesn't do that on Tuesday? Then "FUCK OFF LEVIEN"

Serious reality check needed. Sadly we are in the third division of world football. Serbia would have come expecting to win. Who is the next mamger going to bring in? We have nobody that would get in England or France's second team...maybe the keeper,,,and they are not at the top table of world football. one comparison with England..they too think they are a lot better than they actually are.

It's not so much a case of who would we bring in. We have some talented guys in the squad.

Levein keeps picking the wrong players and going with the wrong tactics.

If he plays like that in a vital home match, then god help us in the first two away games.

gof is right, these are talented players who we get very little out of. levein is promoted way above his station, and deep down he knows it. he knows he is not an international football manager. his tactics are grounded in avoiding the humiliation that could happen if he left himself exposed against a better manager. that's what was behind the czech republic formation. he doesn't have the confidence to play a more expansive game, home or away, and he never will. he just hasn't got it. we know that, we've seen it, and yesterday was just more of the same.
even yesterday, he wouldn't risk a more attacking formation until nine minutes from the end. his thinking is: i will try to nick a goal, and if it backfires, the opposition can't score many goals in just nine minutes.
he's also stubborn, which further weakens his prospects. steven fletcher holds blame for the on-going situation, but there is only one person in scotland who can sort this out. mr levein. and he doesn't want to. that is an abuse of his responsibility to scotland football fans.

GoF
If he plays like that in a vital home match.

This is a guy who said minutes before the game that it wasn't a must-win. Must've filtered that to the players too as so many were below par (appears to be a poor man manager). He is the one who negotiated the 2 home games to start and has made an arse of it. Their keeper had one save to make?

There are still 9 games to go but I think even with 6 points against Macedonia (big ask) we'll still finish 3rd at best (more likely 4th). Campaign is all but over, regardless of midweek. Why start Miller?

I'll never forgive him for Prague. Never. Most embarrassing 90 minutes as a Scotsman. Folk will talk about that in pub quizzes all over the world.

Steve Clarke for 2016.

One plus point was Paul Dixon, who was excellent.

I got a lot of "didn't know your manager was blind" jokes today cos of his stupid glasses. If only they knew!

GoF

I got a lot of "didn't know your manager was blind" jokes today cos of his stupid glasses.

Yeah, that was nothing to do with his glasses - they were referring to his team selections and tactics.

So, turns out being a wanker really does make you go blind after all.

For once I am as depressed as SPF and agree with what he says. Prague was a decision that no one in football could ever defend and on Saturday we had as talented a squad as we have had for several years but here we are, after one dismal game, hanging on by a thread.
I only saw it on the tv but the crowd just seemed to get quieter and quieter as the game went on and hardly surprising. There was a spell in the second half when we were just incapable of getting the ball past the half way line.
We have an ultra-cautious and unimaginative manager so why should we be surprised at the style of football we play.
A boring 1-0 win on Tuesday will only paint over the cracks as unless we give what skill we have a chance we will be back where we are so often i.e we can finish second if we win our last two games 4-0 with bad results for the table leaders.

When the job was up for grabs I wanted Levein to get it but after Prague he should have been told to leave his post!!

Some of the players that started need a hard kick in the baws after that display especially Alan Hutton, this guy is one lazy bast@rd loses the ball time after time then trotts back into position how can levein pick him if he isnt getting a game no consistency!!

Think its time that the SFA put Mr Levein out on his arse and bring in either Walter Smith, Billy Davies, Gordan Strachan or Joe Jordan.

I thought he almost got it spot on. Only down side was not making changes early enough. Mackie done none more in 5 mins by getting in their faces than anyon did.

Is it CL's fault tht Naismaith couldn't hit the target when clear through?

Big problem now is were are chasing it bit time. A win yesterday would have taken the pressure off for Tues.

I was at the game. If confirmation that Kenny Millers role as first choice striker is over was needed then we got it there. By all means bring him on with 20 or 10 to go to harry the defence and chase down balls but no way a starter.

Levein said in hindsight he should have changed things earlier. He must have been the only person in Hampden that needed hind sight to see that.

Many people believe the chanting for Jordan Rhodes with 25 minutes to go made Mr Stubborn change his plans to make point. Brining on Forrest then Mackie then last of all Rhodes was seen as more evidence if his arrogance and pig headedness.

I thought Hutton played ok and you cant blame the manager for senior players not being able to control the ball properly or string two passes together. We are very average without Brown and Fletcher in Midfield. However C L's tactics and lack of motivation succeeded where many have failed in silencing the famous Hampden Roar.

We were lucky to get a point! Both Hutton and Naismith should have received straight red cards. We should be attacking these teams, we have some great attacking options right now but yet again Mr negative Levein plays the safe card and it could have been worse had it not been for a great save from McGregor right at the death.

Must win game against Macedonia 2moro, they gave Croatia a fright so certainly won`t be easy. Start Rhodes please Craig, Miller way past his best now.

Rhodes on the bench for tonights game....IVAN LENDL as manager

A Murray
Rhodes on the bench for tonights game....IVAN LENDL for the job as next manager

Worst 20 min, arguably, I've ever seen a Scotland play at Hampden. Man management, belief. Defensive damage limitation from the off. FUCKING SHITE.

Right Levein, Saturday wasn't a must win (you said), what about now??

We'd half the goal attempts against Macedonia at Hampden in a genuine must-win game. Never seen the likes.

Get him to fuck.

Turns out Lichtenstein at Hampden wasn't a bad dream after all.

Scotland wont be at any major finals for probably the next 10yrs.they are crap..never mind blaming Levein..guys like Gary Caldwell Andy Webster Kenny Miller etc have no 1st touch and cant play basic 10yard passes for players to run on to.
Caldwell 51 caps, what a joke! Hutton cant get a game for Villa,Berra doesnt get a game for championship team Wolves,Dixon only playing cause he played for Dundee utd.
2pts from 6 so far and for me thats been over-achieved,should've easily been 0pts.
Levein will be out after Wales win in October and some other manager will use the same crappy players and system.

Why do you refer to Scotland as 'they'?

And I've always never been his biggest fanbut Caldwell was our best player in the first half - and probably the second too.

St Pauli Fifer
Why do you refer to Scotland as 'they'?

And I've always never been his biggest fanbut Caldwell was our best player in the first half - and probably the second too.

i say 'they' are crap because 'they' are crap! do u want me to take a share of the blame??

Caldwell.. best player ?? and here was me thinking that Alan McGregor was the best player by a mile,without him it would have been 0pts from both games

At international level you need a manager who can inspire, motivate, support, encourage, and Lead.

Look at Levin , listen to Levin......does he strike you as someone that tick any of the above.

I rest my case.

Surely Levein's position is now untenable.

The TA are starting to show their displeasure by simply not turning up now.

McGregor had a good game on Saturday but was simply immense last night.

Woeful stuff.

Worse than Berti Vogts!!! He has to go before we have no fans or team left...

Agree ping pong... Was there last nite and the mood in the stadium was not pleasant .... Levein has to go there will be no one wanting to part with their cash for that shite... Truly woeful!

I actually thought last night was an entertaining game, mainly due to the way Macedonia played. They cut through Scotland with ease, and if it wasn't for Macgregor and the post, would have left deserved winners.

Levein should have held his hand up after the Lichtenstein debacle, and admitted he wasn't up to the job, and at every turn thereafter he has just confirmed his lack of ability.
Kris Commons and Steven Fletcher should have walked into the squad on current form, but are not good enough for Levein. His dealing of Lee Wallace / Ian Black, the drubbing in Jacksonsville, the 6-4-0 in Prague, his too late substitutions on Saturday, and his ( I pick the team) selection last night, have all but cost us world cup qualification already.

I don't think it helps that he has nomarks like Peter Houston (nice guy, but not really a manager) and Kenny Black (bunped from Airdrie for being hopeless, yet turns up as Scotland coach). I don't think the players take these guys seriously.
Also, Levien is delighted that the players pay for nothing, and only get rewarded for qualifying. I thnk they saw the group, thought no chance of qualifying so we'll no try too hard, and come and enjoy the 5 star lifestyle for a week. Just not good enough. Pay then the going rate, then you might get performances.
The only manager, club or country, I have previously booed is Gavin Murray. You are in good company Mr Levein

Tantamount to incompetence.

DReW_PeaCoCK
Tantamount to incompetence.

Bit of a harsh judgement of Ritchie's post, is it not. It seemed accurate and well thought-out to me.

Thanks KotS.
I was reading in the paper today that in addtion to Houston and Black, Levein's backroom staff consists of Mick Oliver (ex Albion Rovers manager) and Des Mckeowen (who briefly reached the same heights at Ochilview).
And we wonder why we struggle.

Levein should have been punted before this campaign started. 2 points against poor opposition at home, we have no chance of going to Rio.

So, just to reiterate my original post, FUCK OFF NOW LEVEIN.

He needs to go and go tonight.

Actually, did you ever see a game anywhere that had two such objectionable cnuts for the managers?

He should've gone a month ago. I don't particularly blame for tonight. He put out an attacking team (out of desperation) and we were outplayed by a shocking Wales team. The game was there to win until Adam sold the game, sleeping after the stonewall Bale foul for the second. We had a goal chopped off, they had another blatant pen not given. At least the Levein nightmare is going to be over now. Thank fuck.

Really angry that after 3 games when we could have been looking at points....we have 2!!
Will never,ever,ever forgive him for Prague.

Gutted!!

Levein is a total arse. But who really cares about the national side? I'm far more concerned about the state of East Fife than Scotland.

Mad Man
Levein is a total arse. But who really cares about the national side? I'm far more concerned about the state of East Fife than Scotland.

You cared enough to post on a thread about the national side didn't you?

Anyway Levein will be gone perhaps as soon as Wednesday morning. And not before time.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile/sport/opinion/spiers-on-sport-levein-is-finished-as-scotland-manager.1350077939

"The Scotland manager’s competitive record now reads: P11 W3 D4 L4"

That is a shocking, shocking record. Especially considering one of those was a win at home against Liechtenstein after 7 minutes of injury time - a 'country' with a population of Levenmouth.

Who do folk want now?

Gordon Strachan
Alex McLeish
Walter Smith
John Collins
Steve Clarke (passionate Scot, his ambition is to manage Scotland)
Owen Coyle
Kenny Dalglish
Harry Redknapp (great man-manager, plays decent pacey football, might be tempted to get back at the FA - stranger things...)
Stuart McCall

My first choice would be Owen Coyle, but can't see him being tempted from club football just yet.

Steve Clarke would be a good one too I feel. He'd definitely bring some of the passion back.

St Pauli Fifer
http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile/sport/opinion/spiers-on-sport-levein-is-finished-as-scotland-manager.1350077939

"The Scotland manager’s competitive record now reads: P11 W3 D4 L4"

That is a shocking, shocking record. Especially considering one of those was a win at home against Liechtenstein after 7 minutes of injury time - a 'country' with a population of Levenmouth.

Who do folk want now?

Gordon Strachan
Alex McLeish
Walter Smith
John Collins
Steve Clarke (passionate Scot, his ambition is to manage Scotland)
Owen Coyle
Kenny Dalglish
Harry Redknapp (great man-manager, plays decent pacey football, might be tempted to get back at the FA - stranger things...)
Stuart McCall

Harry Redknapp

As usual and almost as bad as taking the England managers job, it is a poisoned chalice, sooner or later deservedly or not the media will have the knives out. For that reason and the fact that a decent manager can get a far better salary at club level it is not too attractive a proposition.

I would probably go for Stachan.

Don't worry, after the massive 'NO' vote for independance you can discontinue with the national side (you don't want it) and start supporting 'Britain'. Who knows? There may even be a player from the northern counties of Midlothian or Strathclyde that one day may play for 'Britain'.....but I doubt it.

For those wanting rid o Levein, how many matches do u give the new manager? He's had 11and many fans wanted him out after 9,so how many will u give the new manager?

Ps people mentioning Redknapp but don't mention his No.2 when at Spurs..... Joe Jordan

It depends on whether the new managers record was as abysmal as Avril's. Would be difficult to be that bad.

To be honest i am struggling to find a redeeming feature for Levein. Even Bertie who was terrible, at least made some attempt to get the fans onside with naming the tartan army on the squadlist. Levein alienated players and fans alike, can never be forgiven for the 4-6-0, and worst of all deals with the media like a bull in a china shop. As for his replacement, I would love a Kenny Dalglish or Gordon Strachan, however i would suggest the reason that Levein was hired was probably because with no substantial record of club success he was a cheaper option.

kenwit
For those wanting rid o Levein, how many matches do u give the new manager? He's had 11and many fans wanted him out after 9,so how many will u give the new manager?

Ps people mentioning Redknapp but don't mention his No.2 when at Spurs..... Joe Jordan

45 minutes for the new manager, then change it after that if we are not winning.

I think the time for the manager's job to be called into question is when chances of qualification are gone. This is Levein's 2nd failed qualification attempt.

And you still have Moron`s like Bill Leckie supporting him. His column in yesterdays paper was laughable.

Ironically, I could see us nicking a win - the team's good enough on paper and the game is now meaningless.

I've put a wee cheeky pound on us.

kenwit

Funnily enough I was just talking to someone about those two at the helm yesterday.

Co-manager role. Nod to the past and a fuck you to England from 'arry.

6 games of the campaign left and its all over!! sad state of affairs for Scottish fitba tbh

Forgot about Billy Davies (as well as Jordan).

I'd like S Clarke, O Coyle or S McCall. Attractive, positive football. Bar Celtic, Strachan hasn't really done anything in loads of jobs. He can be pretty cautious too - defended Levein's tactics in the first 2 games this campaign. I can't actually believe how bad Levein's record actually is (that's without looking at the Liechtenstein and 4-6-0 debacles).

The campaign just started and it's over. Never thought I'd see that from any Scotland team.

At least we seem to have a truly world class goalie.

Northern Ireland leading Portugal away now.

i'd go for Strachan,Jordan,Clarke and Davies to replace Commons, Fletcher,Hutton and Mcarthur.

Everyone slaughtering Levein BUT he's picking a team of players that most fans want ...big Media pressure to include S.Fletcher and Commons(who was terrible in both games).its ok fans talking about style of play and formations but these players are absolutely garbage they cannot pass a ball to a team-mate 10 yards away and have no 1st touch.

For all those wanting a new manager then what will he do...make these players great?
Nevermind sack the manager...Levein should sack the players

There is always the possibility that Scotland are simply not good enough. Belgium looked a class side last night; they out-fought us, were stronger on the ball and individually were better players.

We do not have players of exceptional quality and haven't done for years and no amount of tactical nouse can do a lot about that.

Get the lazy youngsters away from computer games and back on the playing fields; it's a long term solution that is required.

Harpenden Fifer
There is always the possibility that Scotland are simply not good enough. Belgium looked a class side last night; they out-fought us, were stronger on the ball and individually were better players.

We do not have players of exceptional quality and haven't done for years and no amount of tactical nouse can do a lot about that.

Get the lazy youngsters away from computer games and back on the playing fields; it's a long term solution that is required.

The only result to have saved Leveins bacon would have been a win last night, but as we all know it was results before then that did it. We would never have expected to beat Belgium, a quality team who would give anyone a run for their money at home. 2 Points out of a possible 12 is the damning statistic not 3 dropped against Belgium away.

I don't think it's that bad a team we have now, but this isn't the same as we had in our opening games. 2 things which Levein had in his own hands were playing Rhodes from the start instead of Miller in the first game and having sorted out the Steven Fletcher situation.

I don't know if there are a lot less kids playing football now but Saturday and Sunday mornings at Pitreavie sees dozens of games from 7 year olds upwards.Some of the teams have expanded to fit more than one team of the same age group, hopefully this is being repeated throughout Scotland.

I don't go along with that bit about tactics and lack of great players. We need an inspirational manager who can use the resources we have to their greatest effect. Who would have thought Greece would win the Euros with a team of unknowns and even Barca get beaten (now and again) by piddly La Liga teams whose manager has used the right tactics. Our next manager needs to study the team he is playing next and organise his team accordingly.

I just can't see us winning all 10 qualifying games now, like.

Anybody who thought Scotland could compete with Belgium or Croatia were always going to be in for a dissapointing campaign.

Scotland have 4/5 very good players who are playing week in week out in the premier league. McGregor, both Fletchers, Morrison, Dorrans are all good footballers with the rest still at a high enough standard to be able to do well or at the very least compete with teams like Serbia, Wales etc...

Levein is clearly out of his depth & i'm still not sure why exactly he was appointed? He's never been or has never had sustained periods of success in any of his "higher profile" jobs if you can call them that. You can tell he doesn't believe in what he's actually saying to the press etc...he's on borrowed time & will be out of the job by Friday I think(hope).

What next? I think the SFA & the fans need to ditch the whole it has to be Scottish manager idea. They need someone who believes in playing football the right way, getting it down & passing it. Someone a bit controversial, not scared to make big decisions, someone with a bit of "swaggar". Get them in by next months friendly with Luxembourg(pointess btw) & try win some of the remaining fixtures to make sure they don't fall even lower in the seedings.

I do like the Harry Redknapp/Joe Jordan idea.
I don't like the Gordon Strachen idea.

Andrew Miller

What next? I think the SFA & the fans need to ditch the whole it has to be Scottish manager idea. They need someone who believes in playing football the right way, getting it down & passing it.

All managers want their players to pass it ,its the players who pass the ball NOT the manager, whats a new manager (regardless of who it is ) going to do, make players like Caldwell able to pass a ball?? The players are sub-standard

kenwit
whats a new manager (regardless of who it is ) going to do

Quite simply improve on the worst Scotland managerial record, ever. He'll probably never play 'none up front' ever again (Levein said he wouldn't rule it out - even the Faroes and Liechtenstein don't play none up front) - or at least if a new manager does - he'll wait till we've got a Barcelona-quality midfield first, he'll also probably not play a centre-half in midfield, he'll not play/start a player who doesn't play at all for his club, he'll not play negative, cautious shite in two must-win Hampden openers. He'll quite probably also get more than 3 competitive wins from 12 games. 1 in 10 if you take out Liechtenstein home and away (as you probably should as they've got an entire population of 36,281 - even though they nearly beat us at home). Scotland were below par and ultra-negtive in the last campaign too under him. A new manager, many from that list, would take these Premiership Scotland players playing at the top level and give some teams a game at least.

There's absolutely no case whatsoever to keep Levein as Scotland manager. We've not improved and Hampden won't be a sell-out until the next campaign because of Levein's management.

Even Caldwell can be taught to pass the ball properly it just needs practice, practice and more practice. Work on the tactics and passing the ball. Someone mentioned the Barca midfield - well all these guys do for hours is practice one touch football. Some serious coaching is needed in Scotland.

St Pauli Fifer

There's absolutely no case whatsoever to keep Levein as Scotland manager.

no case to keep him? think off the money he's saved the 'Army' by not going to Rio

Levein Must Stay

He's seeking legal advice for his sacking

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/spl-levein-taking-legal-advice-sacking-193916604.html

St Pauli Fifer
He's seeking legal advice for his sacking

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/spl-levein-taking-legal-advice-sacking-193916604.html

Sums him up. An infernal creature imo.

Could you imagine Levein pretty much starting 2 up front against the world's best team and bringing on a young striker instead of shoring up? Or even against Serbia or Macedonia?

The fans who travelled to Prague should sue Levein.

Also, get players like Miller out (as good a servant as he's been) and get young players like Watt and Griffiths in.

Disappointed that after being given 35k a month until end of contract (20 months) that Craig is seeking legal advice over sacking. Hello!! I did have a bit of time for the guy but if he continues with this he will make the idiots who hired him look like victims. Fair enough he should have been put out of misery earlier but I think he has done well out of it. Craig take a holiday enjoy life, go and have a cuppa with Gordon Durie, ask him what it's like to have to leave your job! Get a grip and get over yourself. Go and watch the dung you could double their gate and buy them a couple of players, or some poo bags to pick up all the s"&t which surrounds their stock car track with a dod of weeds in the middle

to be fair, he's probably checking out the contractual situation. Nothing wrong in that. He needs to be clear on what he can and can't do......legally that is......we all know what he can't do as a manager

Andrew Miller
Anybody who thought Scotland could compete with Belgium or Croatia were always going to be in for a dissapointing campaign.

Scotland have 4/5 very good players who are playing week in week out in the premier league. McGregor, both Fletchers, Morrison, Dorrans are all good footballers with the rest still at a high enough standard to be able to do well or at the very least compete with teams like Serbia, Wales etc...

Levein is clearly out of his depth & i'm still not sure why exactly he was appointed? He's never been or has never had sustained periods of success in any of his "higher profile" jobs if you can call them that. You can tell he doesn't believe in what he's actually saying to the press etc...he's on borrowed time & will be out of the job by Friday I think(hope).

What next? I think the SFA & the fans need to ditch the whole it has to be Scottish manager idea. They need someone who believes in playing football the right way, getting it down & passing it. Someone a bit controversial, not scared to make big decisions, someone with a bit of "swaggar". Get them in by next months friendly with Luxembourg(pointess btw) & try win some of the remaining fixtures to make sure they don't fall even lower in the seedings.

I do like the Harry Redknapp/Joe Jordan idea.
I don't like the Gordon Strachen idea.

Owen Coyle for me. Strachan is not the answer

He is if the question is name a funny wee ginger chap who is out of a job and has actually won some things in top level football.

Won stuff in a two horse race (Old Firm bubble within the SPL). If he'd (or any other manager) not won anything with Celtic, he'd have been a catastrophic failure.

Did nothing with any other team he managed.

Defended Levein's negative tactics. That's enough for me. I'm quite sure he'll get the job regardless. We need an inspirational manger to give the players belief to go and beat teams with positive football.

St Pauli Fifer
Could you imagine Levein pretty much starting 2 up front against the world's best team and bringing on a young striker instead of shoring up? Or even against Serbia or Macedonia?

Not defending Levein but it's worth remembering that 2 up front is pretty much dead in international football and does not necessarily mean a more attacking formation.

'pretty much' but not dead. It's pretty much dead in top level club football too. Unless players have the sensational ability of Barca (with numerous midfielders as good as any striker), one up front is borne out of either keeping possession and/or nullifying the opposition - it's not about attacking. That's why Spain won the World Cup scoring 7 goals in the entire tournament.

McCoist plays one up front all season - 3 draws and a defeat against part-timers. Plays 2 up top and they destroy Alloa 7-0. Hmmm

One of the reasons I became disillusioned watching East Fife was watching one up front and creating 1 or 2 shots on target in the entire 90mins - numerous times

St Pauli Fifer
'pretty much' but not dead. It's pretty much dead in top level club football too. Unless players have the sensational ability of Barca (with numerous midfielders as good as any striker), one up front is borne out of either keeping possession and/or nullifying the opposition - it's not about attacking. That's why Spain won the World Cup scoring 7 goals in the entire tournament.

McCoist plays one up front all season - 3 draws and a defeat against part-timers. Plays 2 up top and they destroy Alloa 7-0. Hmmm

One of the reasons I became disillusioned watching East Fife was watching one up front and creating 1 or 2 shots on target in the entire 90mins - numerous times

I'd have to disagree that you have to be a top level side to play one striker and still be an attacking formation. Real football is not Championship Manager and formations are not static, a formation will be different in possession than it is when trying to defend or win the ball.

A "4-5-1" is often a "4-3-3" when attacking, it all depends on the manager clearly defining player roles and players doing their job properly. I don't know why anyone would think that 5 in midfield would be less attacking than 4 in midfield, again the midfield is not a static thing. Scotland have a lot of creative attacking midfield type players so it makes sense to use them behind a striker such as Fletcher, Miller or Rhodes.

I doubt that any top level manager would play 2 up front if he got the Scotland job.

I never said you have to be a top level side to play one up front. Most teams do now. If the opposition plays 5 in midfield - you have to too or you don't stand a chance.

But, again, East Fife mustered 1 or 2 shots on target in a whole game with 1 up front and that's about the size of it. Most fans would rather win 4-3 than 1-0 in a boring game of chess. I like watching my teams score goals - maybe that's just me.

I like 3-5-2/5-3-2 but you need two, pacey, ball-playing full-backs.

St Pauli Fifer
Won stuff in a two horse race (Old Firm bubble within the SPL). If he'd (or any other manager) not won anything with Celtic, he'd have been a catastrophic failure.

Did nothing with any other team he managed.

Defended Levein's negative tactics. That's enough for me. I'm quite sure he'll get the job regardless. We need an inspirational manger to give the players belief to go and beat teams with positive football.

Strachan it is then.

Good luck Strachan.