Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
game today

Great goal, braw passing good dribbling and as Im typing just conceded!

Re: game today

Not as bad as recent performances, cook dithering on the ball n cost us 2nd goal. Still trying to find shagger to many times with the long ball. Bobby Barr looks like he could be a great signing. would say draw would be fair at ht

Fife goal disallowed then a beauty fae Bobby Barr 2-2, all Fife now!

guted to loose that thought we played good at times just seen the leauge table and were bottom but only 3points of stranrear in 8th earlt days well come good

Bobby Barr was brilliant. Last 15 minutes he was running around defenders! scored a goal Messi would be proud off.

Shame the rest are utter shite.

get Bobby Barr on a long term contract...use the rangers money and "make him an offer he cant refuse".

better display today but some players are way off form...McManus and Wardlaw have had long enough. Wardlaw won his fair share in the air, McManus chased his usual lost causes but offered little in front of goal despite numerous crosses into the box today. Darren Smith was terrible ,Scott Durie not much better and Andrew Cook...no comment! Didnt deserve to lose today and with Barr looking as good as he did then think we'll be back to winning ways sooner rather than later

kenwit
get Bobby Barr on a long term contract...use the rangers money and "make him an offer he cant refuse".

better display today but some players are way off form...McManus and Wardlaw have had long enough. Wardlaw won his fair share in the air, McManus chased his usual lost causes but offered little in front of goal despite numerous crosses into the box today. Darren Smith was terrible ,Scott Durie not much better and Andrew Cook...no comment! Didnt deserve to lose today and with Barr looking as good as he did then think we'll be back to winning ways sooner rather than later
dlaw

wardlaw and cook were shocking and should be in the stand next week. wardlaw cant run gives the ball away 9 times out of 10. I feel for shagger because he runs all day but needs someone with a bit of skill to bring him into the game and feed him the ball and wardlaw just cant do that. Cook got caught too many times with the head down and should have passed the ball quicker. we should have got a draw at the end but again the defence cant defend. bobby barr looks a real find and i would play him up top with shagger and bring our wingers like willis and mcbride to get them service. shagger can do the hold up play and bobby to run off him. we are right in the shit now and must start winning soon. when the manager is back im sure things will change and hopefully he wont be out long.

The game today was a lot closer than recent defeats, but let's not forget that our opposition hadn't won a game all season.

We started superbly, scoring a great goal. Unfortunately we slipped back into our usual standard of performance and were poor for the rest of the half. We had a good spell in the second half, I thought we'd made it 2-2 but the goal was chopped off, I'm not sure what for. Barr was excellent, particularly after he was moved up front and scored a superb goal.

Sadly we then invited Ayr to win the match, which they duly did.

I think overall we look like we have improved since last week mainly because of a player that we have on loan for 3 months, and the fact that we were facing an opposition that hadn't won a game yet.

We're now bottom, and aside from one or two players our squad is very poor, especially the back four regardless of who plays in it. I'd honestly be quite happy if we released half of our squad (including every "defender" in it) tomorrow

Another week and another defeat. Thankfully i couldnt make it due to work commitments and to be honest I really couldnt care.
Durie and Chisholms lack of preparation in pre-season is costing us points. No signings, players signed and then not playing and players being rejected at last minute. This has lead to 3 desparate loan signings (who look poor) and continually chopping and changing of team as they dont have a clue on their best line up or formation.They kept to many players from last season and havent strengthened the correct positions. Still maintain that they should have chopped all the midfield apart from maybe Smith and got rid of Cook. However we still have same problems as last season. Midfield that is slow and doesnt support the forwards quick enough and or centre midfielders offer no protection to the back four. We have defenders that cant defend cross balls or set pieces convincingly.
Durie not being well has left us with Chisholm in charge and to be honest i didnt understand why so many fans where excited by him, he has been hounded at just about every club he has been at.
The reports I got from todays game mentioned the usual suspects as being poor and Bobby Barr being good even though Chisholm the genuis swapped him to the other side for the second half.

Andy
Another week and another defeat. Thankfully i couldnt make it due to work commitments and to be honest I really couldnt care.
Durie and Chisholms lack of preparation in pre-season is costing us points. No signings, players signed and then not playing and players being rejected at last minute. This has lead to 3 desparate loan signings (who look poor) and continually chopping and changing of team as they dont have a clue on their best line up or formation.They kept to many players from last season and havent strengthened the correct positions. Still maintain that they should have chopped all the midfield apart from maybe Smith and got rid of Cook. However we still have same problems as last season. Midfield that is slow and doesnt support the forwards quick enough and or centre midfielders offer no protection to the back four. We have defenders that cant defend cross balls or set pieces convincingly.
Durie not being well has left us with Chisholm in charge and to be honest i didnt understand why so many fans where excited by him, he has been hounded at just about every club he has been at.
The reports I got from todays game mentioned the usual suspects as being poor and Bobby Barr being good even though Chisholm the genuis swapped him to the other side for the second half.

You weren't there?? but you can comment from the reports you got?? i thought both forwards were poor ,wardlaw won his fair share of flick ons and i thought McManus was poor ..my opinion. The post from Parky thinks that wardlaw was shocking and feels for shagger and thats his opinion then YOU come on and give us someone else's opinion.
You slag off Chisholm cause your pal says he made a crap decision swapping him from one wing to the other yet Chisholm was the one who put Barr up front with Mcmanus or did your pal not tell you that?? Don't comment on the game if you weren't there

I will comment on what I want.
He did tell me that Barr was our best player but was quieter when he went to the right and came back into it when he came went up front.
I have seen enough of them this season to know we are a poor team and today was only slighly better.
Its clowns like you that have put people of this forum, as forums are there for people to offer opinions and discuss them. So after another defeat i thought i would post my opinion after hearing from somebody who has been to every game so far.
Unfortunately i work shifts so miss games, but the games i have seen, i have no confidence in the set up of the team and how they are prepared. We have now adopted a scatter gun approach to signings and hopefully got lucky with Barr, but what happens in 3 months?

So here is my perspective ... Barr brilliant and great goal, Pollock great goal unlucky to be subbed as there was worse on the park! cook was terrible, Durie was terrible, shagger was terrible, Smith has had better games. How anyone can say that Wardlaw was worse than shagger today is beyond belief... stagger attitude to getting back and digging was shocking. Campbell was strong and so was the Hibbeees loanee. In summary we dominated 2nd half but with Shagger up front and the majority lacking confidence we were always up against it? Better than last week though by way of performance but still nae points; not good enough.

Mucky Sock
So here is my perspective ... Barr brilliant and great goal, Pollock great goal unlucky to be subbed as there was worse on the park! cook was terrible, Durie was terrible, shagger was terrible, Smith has had better games. How anyone can say that Wardlaw was worse than shagger today is beyond belief... stagger attitude to getting back and digging was shocking. Campbell was strong and so was the Hibbeees loanee. In summary we dominated 2nd half but with Shagger up front and the majority lacking confidence we were always up against it? Better than last week though by way of performance but still nae points; not good enough.

well said....i think most fans dont want to have a go at shagger and find wardlaw as an easier target to slag off . we all know what shagger can do and hopefully he'll get back to form but so far his return to the black n gold has been below average,his past reputation is saving him from criticism, far to often caught offside from a simple step up from Ayr's back four today.

I cant see where we are going to win a game of football when we are conceding goals so cheaply.All three goals were very poor to give away.Gutted to lose again and make for another shite saturday night.PLenty of effort from the players,but as so often when you are at the bottom things go against you like losing late goals.On the plus side two quality goals from east fife and as said before bobby barr playing up front caused ayr problems.Wardlaw and mcmanus out of sorts and cookie made a few mistakes as well.I would have opted to play mcormack at full back.Darren smith been off form last 3 games as well,and i would like to see robert sloan get his chance in that central midfield slot next week.Ayr were no great shakes there number 9 and 10 looked decent first half when they got the service,but fell out the game 2nd half as east fife dominated possesion.We now have competiton for places, and another massive game next week against stranraer.Hope broonie back next week as we missed him today.A few changes needed we need to try something different up front and play barr with another striker through the middle.Mcormack for cook and sloan for smith and hopefully we can get a good feeling on a saturday night.However after all that if we keep giving away goals so cheaply it could be a long wait.

Have been concerned about our prospects for a few weeks now and if I'm being honest today did nothing to allay them. Barr looks a tremendous signing , great skill , quick thinker and appears to have real desire to win. Wish most of the team had shown half of his passion.

From my perspective I think our problems are as follows

1-We are crying out for a tough tackling defensive midfielder who can offer protection to the defence and allow the other c mid to get up and support the forwards.
2- We need a Tweed type that the players will listen to and give us some badly needed resilience
3- Despite 4 loan signings our squad is still very unbalanced - Cook shouldn't be playing left back- need at least another , if not two, forwards and too many players who only play in fits and bursts.Too many players seem to get a game no matter how they play.
4-We play 4-4-2 but our backs hump the ball up to two pretty slow forwards - why do we need two wingers if we're not going to use them.
5- We seem devoid of tactics or ideas - too many throw ins just giving the ball back to the opposition .why do we use Cook so much to play the ball out of defence- surely we should be asking a midfielder to come and collect then start to build some constructive play. No matter how the the other team set up we just keep trying the same old play in the same formation until the last ten mins or so then it's all out to grab an equaliser- shouldn't we be trying to tactically get the better of the opposition before they do the same to us?

Yes players aren't playing well but it's the coaching staffs job to assemble a balanced squad and to set them up to allow them to pay to their strengths.

I really fear we are in fr a tough and depressing season.

Ok poor result but i thought we played well for most of the game and had it not been for poor defending again then we would have won the game. Some players are not playing well but that comes with climbing the table and once we get that first win then you will see the best in our better players. Mcmanus has been a good player at every club he has been at, So whats happening with him this year ? He has missed all pre season games and training and that can have an effect on how you start the season. I think once he gets his 1st goal he will go on from there. I dont think he has been playing bad , His hold up play is great for a wee guy and he runs himself into the ground every week . Wardlaw is another player who once is fit and gets more goals will come good. players thrive on confidence and it must take alot out of them when they are looking for that first win and lose the game after going in front. Its easy to blame players after a defeat but its not just the players that make a club a successful one it comes from everyone connected so lets keep the heads up and show our support. Our manager will be back soon so lets have confidence when he gets back

Durie and Chisholm will be out by Christmas.

Bets welcome

pundit
Durie and Chisholm will be out by Christmas.

Bets welcome

2 L8

I think the fans have been unfair about the performance on saturday. I thought East Fife have only got 3 areas of concern in the team. Defence,midfield and attack. Apart from that i think we can stay up!!!!

How long do you keep the two forwards in the team without scoring.Watching them it lets you see how good a player ryan wallace was for us.Very little movement from them to get the ball.Previous posters stated we always play the long ball to mcmanus.I recall when he was here before this was also an issue.The midfield needs more in the middle not spread out on both wings. The defence is constantly changing as is the whole team which cannot help so much for the pre season games and still no settled team.

I think this is our pre season,when you look back at the team that played at peterhead on the first competitive game of the season, only campbell,durie, smith and wardlaw played on saturday.In fairness to durie and chilsom they realised after a few shocking performances the players they had signed were liable to see them unemployed.So we are now on plan b with a load of new signings at once trying to gel during competitive games.If we had these players for pre season and practice games we might be up to speed and not be trying different things during competitive matches.I asked last week for the board to back their men ,and it seems like they are by allowing them to spend money on new signings all be it loan signings.The reason it has had to be loan signings is because by the time durie and chilsom saw how poor we were time had run out to get signings in. Also the rangers check hadnt arrived.Players like barr and willis wont come cheap.It is still a work in progress but the quality of player on view on saturday certainly looked better.Lets be honest it can only get better and i have a feeling we will get our first win on saturday.

Andy
He did tell me that Barr was our best player but was quieter when he went to the right and came back into it when he came went up front.
I have seen enough of them this season to know we are a poor team and today was only slighly better.
Its clowns like you that have put people of this forum, as forums are there for people to offer opinions and discuss them. So after another defeat i thought i would post my opinion after hearing from somebody who has been to every game so far.
Unfortunately i work shifts so miss games, but the games i have seen, i have no confidence in the set up of the team and how they are prepared. We have now adopted a scatter gun approach to signings and hopefully got lucky with Barr, but what happens in 3 months?

How dare you comment or have an opinion on us being bottom of sfl div 2 . how can you call yourself a supporter ?

mr 305
Andy

How dare you comment or have an opinion on us being bottom of sfl div 2 . how can you call yourself a supporter ?

It's people like you who put others off this forum, (to coin a phrase). All this sarcasm is not good. Don't you know that it is the lowest form of wit?

The thing is, Andy wasn't at the game and would be slaughtered by the likes of Jim Traynor (Sportsound) if he phoned in to comment on the game and admitted he wasn't actually there!

Jocky's pal.
mr 305
Andy

It's people like you who put others off this forum, (to coin a phrase). All this sarcasm is not good. Don't you know that it is the lowest form of wit?

The thing is, Andy wasn't at the game and would be slaughtered by the likes of Jim Traynor (Sportsound) if he phoned in to comment on the game and admitted he wasn't actually there!

Are you Jocky in disguise ?