Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Gordon Durie update

From the official site.

Gordon Durie - Update

17 October 2012

Gordon has been advised by his doctor to remain off work for a further two weeks.

Re: Gordon Durie update

All the best Gordon.

Apparently Brian McNaughton and Bob Malcolm will be in charge in the meantime. I didn't actually know Brian McNaughton was involved with the club. I presume it's the same guy who played for us in the 80's?

Best wishes to Gordon and hopefully he gets fit and healthy again.

From a football point of view things are getting more and more difficult this season, no disrespect to the guys taking the team but the football team needs some real stability right now to get us out of the relegation fight.

Perhaps the club should offer Gordon the rest of the season off to rest and recover and appoint an experienced man to take over until next summer?

I was thinking the exact same thing. There's no point rushing Durie back. His health is obviously more important than football and with what looks like a relegation fight on his hands then its hardly going to be good for him.

Although if the new boss does well then that's another issue.

Well said, I hope the club consider this sensible option.

Who is Brian McNaughton?

Fred

From a football point of view things are getting more and more difficult this season, no disrespect to the guys taking the team but the football team needs some real stability right now to get us out of the relegation fight.

Perhaps the club should offer Gordon the rest of the season off to rest and recover and appoint an experienced man to take over until next summer?

Great idea But who would we get ?

Davie Clarke.

Relegation avoided.

Fred

no disrespect??? your telling the coaches of the club to stand aside and bring in a short-term guy to take over and this will bring stability

Mr305 thinks its a great idea and SPF already has Duries replacement....if any of you 2 work then would your employer bring in a new start to replace you while on your sick bed or would they just tell the others to roll the sleeves up and muck-in?

Get Well Soon Gordon...hopefully your job will still be available when ur better

St Pauli Fifer
Davie Clarke.

Relegation avoided.

I heard at the stenhousemuir game that Davie is not very well either.

kenwit
Fred

no disrespect??? your telling the coaches of the club to stand aside and bring in a short-term guy to take over and this will bring stability

Mr305 thinks its a great idea and SPF already has Duries replacement....if any of you 2 work then would your employer bring in a new start to replace you while on your sick bed or would they just tell the others to roll the sleeves up and muck-in?

Get Well Soon Gordon...hopefully your job will still be available when ur better

That all depends what position you're in, how important the post is to the overall success and business of the company and where you stand in that organisation. If it is a senior position and you were going to be off on medium or long term sick then an interim manager is likely to be brought in. You could be told to roll you sleeves up and muck-in but that assumes that these people have the skills, experience and knowledge to do so. And let's not kid ourselves that football clubs are run just like any other company. They are not. Yes I agree Gordon should have his job to go back to when he's fit and well but that does not excuse the club from making the right and yes, tough, decision at this point

The Doctor has giving Durie a line for 2wks...not a month or 3 months so chances are he'll return in november ,lets for arguements sake say Xmas.

What experienced manager is going to come in for such a brief period of employment and who are these managers??

if u wish for the club to be taking over by them then why arent they already in employment??

If a new guy comes in and is a success then what?

if he's a failure and the players dont play for him then what?

Who's the 1st person/s a new guy will talk to about the players at the club....the coaches who are already there.

seems to me like more problems than solutions

Is this not the 3rd two weeks Gordon has been told to take off? His health is prioroty so that could happen again and again. If a temporary manager comes in and does well then God forbid we might even go on a wee run and make the playoffs. How bad would that be.

pie

Fred
. If a temporary manager comes in and does well then God forbid we might even go on a wee run and make the playoffs. How bad would that be.

what a fantastic answer Fred "If" and "might"

what "if" the present coaches do well and go on a wee run??

or hang on we can get this saviour..a man with SPL experience , has taken a SPL Club AND a 1st Divison club to Scottish club finals...oh hang on Mr Chisholm was in charge when we were bottom

Okay let's just do nothing.

Fred
Okay let's just do nothing.

Exactly what we are doing and the very reason why we are going down!

Could be worse though, if we appointed a temporary manager and he did well.

The only sensible thing to do is give somebody currently at the club the responsibility for team matters on a caretaker basis.

Fifer
The only sensible thing to do is give somebody currently at the club the responsibility for team matters on a caretaker basis.

We tried that and he left the club last week.

The sensible thing is to do whatever is required to ensure we stay up.

i agree with Fifer but i think Fred maybe already writing up an advert for the very, very temp position.

"To all experienced managers out there who might get East Fife a win or 2 then can u please hand in your CV to New Bayview stadium .
The post will be on a very short term basis as our manager might be returning in 2weeks,if he doesnt then u can have a weekly rolling contract.This will suit all those looking for work on a very temporary contract but as Christmas is not far away then i'm sure another job involving a red suit and white beard will become available soon after we're finished with you"

Lets let the board and Gordon Durie decide whats best for the club regarding management and team affairs,our job as fans is to support the boys on the park .....except for you SPF,you can sit and look at Ballingry Rovers forums and players stats.

ken whit kenwit...

that was quite funny for you

Durie needs an assistant. He doesn't have one. The team does not have an active manager. The team is at the bottom of the table. Get an assistant in who can take the team now and then assist Durie when Durie returns.

We should be looking for a joint managerial position , not assistant or coach , dual Responsibility , for the way forward . 2 managers together joint , no scape goat . This might just work for us ?

Fifer

Nah, we need more than someone who would change striplights and put down sawdust when somebody's sick?

Mad Man
All the best Gordon.

Apparently Brian McNaughton and Bob Malcolm will be in charge in the meantime. I didn't actually know Brian McNaughton was involved with the club. I presume it's the same guy who played for us in the 80's?

Yes it's the same guy that played. Seen him a few times previous kicking around the ground but I don't know what capacity his role is at the club.
I know he had previous managed the likes of Whitburn & Arniston Rangers in the juniors a few seasons ago.

Boomtown Rambok
Mad Man
All the best Gordon.

Yes it's the same guy that played. Seen him a few times previous kicking around the ground but I don't know what capacity his role is at the club.
I know he had previous managed the likes of Whitburn & Arniston Rangers in the juniors a few seasons ago.

Brian was an excellent player for us. Scored some beauts. If i remember correctly he scored to put us 2-1 up at Dens in the Scottish. We went in 1-0 down at halftime to a Jim Duffy goal scored at our end. we came out all guns blazing and we were 2-1 up with 2 in 5 or 6 mins, talk about going mental right behind the goals among a good away support?? They equalized and with a few minutes left Kirkwood hit a screamer from 20 yards heading for the top corner and that Geddes Goalie managed to finger tip it over the bar.

We lost at Bayview 4-1 in the replay and Management and half the team left for Falkirk!! Man O Man, if Mr Baxter had kept that squad together????????

Lots of respect for Brian and wish him well.

We had a great support that night. Was it Raymond Blair that scored and then slid on his knees in front of an ecstatic away support?

Tam.

Your probably right. The floodlights were not great then at Dens.

In the replay at bayview our preparation was severely disrupted as all the east fife players coming over the forth road bridge could not get to bayview on time.The start was delayed and i remember gordon marshall and the rest of the players involved just coming onto the pitch and then the game started.We were 2 or 3 down before we knew where we were.

fan67
In the replay at bayview our preparation was severely disrupted as all the east fife players coming over the forth road bridge could not get to bayview on time.The start was delayed and i remember gordon marshall and the rest of the players involved just coming onto the pitch and then the game started.We were 2 or 3 down before we knew where we were.

Fan 67.

I thing we equalized with a penalty before the Dee then scored 3.

My memory is that we started the game with 9 men. By coincidence I had been discussing this game recently with another Fife fan who told me that the referee was put under pressure by Jim Duffy to get the game under way.

Fifeyboab
fan67

Fan 67.

I thing we equalized with a penalty before the Dee then scored 3.

That's how I remember it, the pen scored by Stewart Burgess. I also seem to remember us hitting the woodwork while it was 1-1 and wondering at the end how the hell we managed to lose by 4-1.

Will Durie be back in the dugout for the Cup game at Elgin next Sat?

anyone?

Keteoj
anyone?

An update from the club would be nice.

ul hear bugger all from the club, Ive had a look through all of the clubs websites (took some time), and every single club are constantly updating their website with news/articles etc......we get absolutely heehaw

I heard some comments from some supporters last night to the effect that Gordon would be off for another 2 weeks.
Bob Malcolm was playing for the Reserves while Brian McNaughton was taking the first team.

Courier website reporting another 2 weeks with no idea of any potential return due to problems with his medication

Maybe the club could confirm? As I said before we should give Gordon the rest of the season off to make a full recovery. This situation doesn't benefit either party.

Fred
Maybe the club could confirm? As I said before we should give Gordon the rest of the season off to make a full recovery. This situation doesn't benefit either party.

Cheers Dr Fred. Great what you can learn from watching Casualty etc. Any chance o' a line from you? I could do with a few months off work masell! I reckon it would benefit me.

Dr Who
Fred

Cheers Dr Fred. Great what you can learn from watching Casualty etc. Any chance o' a line from you? I could do with a few months off work masell! I reckon it would benefit me.

Do I need to be a doctor to diagnose that shite today? Let's just do nothing (as usual and as the board will do) though

Fred
Dr Who
Fred

Do I need to be a doctor to diagnose that shite today? Let's just do nothing (as usual and as the board will do) though

You certainly do need to be a doctor to advise when someone should or should not be at work if ill. Why did you post such drivel, as if you know better than Gordon's doctors?

And, I agree you don't need to be a doctor to diagnose what went wrong today, but you DO generally, need to have been at the match! So were you at the match Dr Fred?

Utter garbage. You didn't have to be there today to see something is seriously wrong at EF!

Dr Who
Fred
Dr Who
Fred

You certainly do need to be a doctor to advise when someone should or should not be at work if ill. Why did you post such drivel, as if you know better than Gordon's doctors?

And, I agree you don't need to be a doctor to diagnose what went wrong today, but you DO generally, need to have been at the match! So were you at the match Dr Fred?

Yes I was.

santa
Utter garbage. You didn't have to be there today to see something is seriously wrong at EF!

player's have had enough from a close friend, 8 players at training on a tuesday and rest playing in reserves . Injured players playing before fit player's and team moral at low time low. The club need to act fast to replace the manager or we will be doomed ,Sid get to fcuk

Herd about the same ? We have become a laughing stock and players are just not good enough. Why do we continue to play shite every week ? I would have clear out in january and someone in with track record