Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Latest Score

East Fife 1 Forfar 0 D. Muir scored.

Fotheringham of Forfar red carded.

Re: Latest Score

3-0 fulltime

Great result for us in the end, but still what a poor performance.

Effc I Couldn't make it today. Could you please explain your comment 3-0 seems strange to be negative even if they had ten men. What exactly was wrong? Did messi not turn up or was your pie cold.

Ps smile we might just be turning the corner.

effc
Great result for us in the end, but still what a poor performance.

I agree with that effc but overall we got the three points we deserved in the end and thats what we need to do every week. Still think the score should of been 5-0.

Upwards and onwards with Bob Malcolm in charge. i dont want to get carried away we still need to build on this to remain in this leauge and also the support today was decent and encouraging.

Tonight is a good night to be a fifer.

Great to get the win but to be fair to effc above, it really wasn't very good at all. The standard in this division just now is awful. Keeper had a great save at 1-0 tipping the ball over the bar, which proved a turning point. We only really clinched it when Forfar went all-out for the equaliser, leaving gaping holes at the back.

Still, 3 points and hopefully we will turn the corner.

Bt
Effc I Couldn't make it today. Could you please explain your comment 3-0 seems strange to be negative even if they had ten men. What exactly was wrong? Did messi not turn up or was your pie cold.

It was a great result but far from a convincing display. We constantly gave the ball away, didn't look keen to support the strikers, at 1-0 they hit the post and our keeper made a brilliant save to stop an equaliser. They looked far more likely to score. We didn't look comfortable at all until the late 2nd goal.

Was not impressed today.We could have easily ended up losing this today.Playing against ten men and defending corners with eleven men in the box is just not on.Quite a few times in the second half they looked like scoring with all the confusion in and around our goal area.

How did calum antell play today ? There was alot of pressure on him today after the last game ?

I think he played well. He looked much more confident than Collier did. He came out for a good few catches, punching one, and making a brilliant save to tip one over the bar, although his kicking wasn't the best.

yeah calum played well in goals today and made one fantansic save to deny one of the forfar players a goal where he tipped it over the crossbar and caught everything coming his way today. Overall he kept a clean sheet so full marks to the boy.

it looks like someone has beaten me to it...lol

Not Impressed
Was not impressed today.We could have easily ended up losing this today.Playing against ten men and defending corners with eleven men in the box is just not on.Quite a few times in the second half they looked like scoring with all the confusion in and around our goal area.

I'd rather defend for our lives to get the win and not concede stupid goals at this stage in our season. If thsat takes 11 men behind the ball on occasions then so be it. I really don't care how we get the points frankly, it's about time we showed some resolve and we did that today. More please.

It's really almost beyond belief that we can mump and moan about a 3-0 win. I'd agree that at 1-0 and with Forfar pressing things could have gone either way but we defended resolutely and kept creating chances at the other end before eventually converting a couple at the death. Yes, we could have conceded against a decent Forfar side but we worked our socks off for that win and every player deserves credit.
How about giving the boys a bit of credit for once?

Well said Fifer!

Fifer
It's really almost beyond belief that we can mump and moan about a 3-0 win. I'd agree that at 1-0 and with Forfar pressing things could have gone either way but we defended resolutely and kept creating chances at the other end before eventually converting a couple at the death. Yes, we could have conceded against a decent Forfar side but we worked our socks off for that win and every player deserves credit.
How about giving the boys a bit of credit for once?

Agree with this well done to the guys today .

Please see the post below:

"Brian McNeill Senior therapist
Oct 8, 2012 - 7:32PM
Re: FAO Management

Can I please answer the main medical points on our two keepers, Michael Brown has had a calf injury for a few weeks now thus Andy Colliers game time.
Andy has had Sciatic problems and although recovering well now is still only 95% fit. The lad has not been able to train properly at all and has to be commended on his willingness to turn out for the team."

Ever tried kicking a ball or saving one with Sciatica? Would you look confident?

Calum played well today for the most part. However he's had / is having the benefit of full time coaching, does not have to hold down a full time job (unlike both of our keepers and much of the rest of the team).

It is good to have a fully fit keeper, but it is hoped that when Broonie and / or Collier are fully fit, that they'll not be kept out of the team by a loanee. With all the service Broonie has given us, that would be another kick in the teeth.

Mad Man
Not Impressed

I'd rather defend for our lives to get the win and not concede stupid goals at this stage in our season. If thsat takes 11 men behind the ball on occasions then so be it. I really don't care how we get the points frankly, it's about time we showed some resolve and we did that today. More please.

And its a lot easier to defend corners against ten men if you leave one or two men up front........Try and think why this would be so ,if you cant think of the answer I will maybe explain it to you sometime.

Cambuslang fifer is it not Brian McNaughton as well as Bob Malcolm that are running the team.Quite happy to see Brian McNaughton shouting at the players when mistakes were made.A win is a win and its a good three points.

Well done the team today! A lot of fans think that you should instantly best a 10 man team 5-0? WE were in control and as soon Forfar went for it end pummeled thrn. Played against 10 men very well!!

Not Impressed
Mad Man
Not Impressed

And its a lot easier to defend corners against ten men if you leave one or two men up front........Try and think why this would be so ,if you cant think of the answer I will maybe explain it to you sometime.

I understand it all too well so please don't patronise me. We won 3 zip so I suggest the tactic worked well today. We've conceded a load of shitty, stupid goals this season and had make sure we didnt do the same today. They were chasing the game so we were always going to get chances to stretch them and extend our lead at some point and so it proved. I'd rather be cautious and win than be careless and chuck it away as we did at Stenny. For once lessons were learned.

Mad Man
Not Impressed
Mad Man
Not Impressed

I understand it all too well so please don't patronise me. We won 3 zip so I suggest the tactic worked well today. We've conceded a load of shitty, stupid goals this season and had make sure we didnt do the same today. They were chasing the game so we were always going to get chances to stretch them and extend our lead at some point and so it proved. I'd rather be cautious and win than be careless and chuck it away as we did at Stenny. For once lessons were learned.

IT TOOK UNTIL THE LAST COUPLE OF MINS TO SECURE THE TWO OTHER GOALS.Up until then we put pressure on ourselves and we could have easily lost a few goals with the tactics we adopted.As I have said playing against ten men and defending corners with our eleven players in the box is suicide.

Not Impressed
Mad Man
Not Impressed

and what if we'd lost a cheap silly goal from a corner by using this tactic of yours?? would you have praised the team for being so bold and brave ? Forfar were time wasting at 0-0 and if it went 1-1 due to losing a stupid goal from a corner then they would've killed the game off.
If your going to explain to us all why your tactic works so well then i'll say this...if you dont concede then you dont lose.

the team are 2nd bottom,low on confidence and needing a win and you get idiots who think because they play football manager or Fifa that they can tell everyone how best to win a game...why not just enjoy the 3pts and praise the team for their efforts

topper
Cambuslang fifer is it not Brian McNaughton as well as Bob Malcolm that are running the team.

I think so. In fact, I've heard from an unreliable source that the Board are considering going with a different 'guest manager' every week. Contemplating the ongoing success of 'Have I Got News For You' since they dumped Angus Deayton and plumped for guest presenters, the directors think this just might work.

Apparently, Charles Kennedy will be in charge for the QOS game (though how much use he'll be on a Sunday - i.e. the morning after a Saturday night - is questionable), and Jo Brand's lined up for the Elgin game.

We'd thought of bringing in a tub of lard for the next home game but it was thought too risky as Jimmy Bone might turn up and no-one would notice the difference till it was too late.

Using the 'Have I Got News For You' guest manager system, how about Ian Hislop? I mean Stevie Hislop.

Great result. It made my day.