Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Statement re Manager

Statement from Gordon Durie

Due to on-going health problems and the uncertainty that has arisen during my absence and with the best interests of the club in mind I have decided to resign as manager of East Fife F.C. in order to allow the club to move forward.

I would like to thank all the fans for their messages of support during this time. I would also like to take this opportunity to wish East Fife every success for the future.

It has been a privilege to have had the opportunity to manage the club where I started my career.

Gordon Durie

The club would like to thank Gordon for all his work both as Manager and as Assistant Manager. It has been deeply unfortunate that illness has prevented him from carrying out his duties in the way that he and we would have wished.

We hope his health recovers soon and look forward to his visiting Bayview in the future where he will always be welcome.

Re: Statement re Manager

It's a great shame Durie's health issues have prevented him from having a fair crack at this job. He remains a Fife legend and I hope he makes a full recovery from whatever was wrong. Al the best for the future Gordon.

All the best for a good recovery. Now where is Hissys an Tweedys numbers! Get them in!!

Credit to Durie for realising he couldn't do the job and health always comes first.

We now need an experienced manager in place pronto to give this shower a massive kick up the backside and must be allowed money to spend in January to strengthen the squad or we will go down.

I hope Durie returns to full health asap. All the best to him.

It's not a new manager that's our problem, more the ownership and deadwood on the board who are going to kill East Fife FC. Now I'm reading Rankin's pocketed the Rangers money???

We could get Harry Redknapp and it still wouldn't stop the club slowly dying.

Whilst I think this is the right decision for the club, I hope that Gordon Durie, once he gets better, has some connection to East Fife in some sort of capacity.
He was, is, and ALWAYS will be an East Fife legend. Hopefully he gets better soon
I cant help feeling that Durie was let down by his "friend" Chisholm. Gordon Chisholm, with his experience, should have been able to steer the ship whilst Durie was recuperating. However he jumped the ship when the going got tough and left the team hanging dry. Its just my opinion but I really feel for Durie with what has happened.

I'd like to wish Gordon all the best in his recovery from his ongoing health problems and hopefully we will see him at Bayview in the future even if it is only to watch Scott. His legendary status is still in tact and he has now provided the Club with a chance to bring some stability before it is too late.
The Club have to get the next appointment 100% right, so the Owner / Board must not make a snap decision by looking for the cheapest option - ie promoting someone from the Coaching staff. A new Manager should come in, get rid of the loan players except Barr and tell the signed players they have until Xmas to prove they are worthy of playing in the Black and Gold. That way players are given a clean slate and hopefully a bit of harmony can return to the squad rather than a group of disgruntled players who are not getting a game despite not being any worse than the loanees. It is critical that the Board look at all candidates carefully and make the best choice. This may mean releasing some funds to allow any new man the chance to improve the squad in the right areas to keep us in Division 2 and give us a platform to build on for the future.

Scott Young
All the best for a good recovery. Now where is Hissys an Tweedys numbers! Get them in!!

Hi Hissy , you have not a chance in hell . Hisslop failed as a player so why give him a shot at manager. we should be looking at guys who have had good careers as players and done not too bad at management. Tweed was shocking at montrose so is a no go. Get davie clark back or someone like him. All the best gordon

Bayviewboy
I'd like to wish Gordon all the best in his recovery from his ongoing health problems and hopefully we will see him at Bayview in the future even if it is only to watch Scott. His legendary status is still in tact and he has now provided the Club with a chance to bring some stability before it is too late.
The Club have to get the next appointment 100% right, so the Owner / Board must not make a snap decision by looking for the cheapest option - ie promoting someone from the Coaching staff. A new Manager should come in, get rid of the loan players except Barr and tell the signed players they have until Xmas to prove they are worthy of playing in the Black and Gold. That way players are given a clean slate and hopefully a bit of harmony can return to the squad rather than a group of disgruntled players who are not getting a game despite not being any worse than the loanees. It is critical that the Board look at all candidates carefully and make the best choice. This may mean releasing some funds to allow any new man the chance to improve the squad in the right areas to keep us in Division 2 and give us a platform to build on for the future.

This. Absolutely 100% spot on.

Real shame about Gordon. True legend and more to the point gave the club, squad, staff some experience in being winners. From the side the minute he arrived training and even our warm up on a sat had the look of an organised club. The current shambles can quickly be sorted out by the swift appointment of someone with a bit about them and experience at this level. We can have success at bayview we need a leader. The board do need to look at what they bring to the party. They must realise if they are not part of the solution they are part of the problem. I'd say get on the phone right now and see if Brian Ried would come in and shake things up. I believe he is currently a free agent. Big Reidy would sort the football matters out, and keep us up I am sure of that.

First and foremost let's hope that Gordon gets back to full health soon.

Things were going fine when he was well and I admire his decision.

Hope to see a fully fit Gordon back at Bayview soon.

The players have let the manager down. They should be ashamed of themselves but they won't be. Really disapointed in the attitude of our so called professionals. For the rest of the season only the blue and red tops should be used - this mob don't deserve to wear the black and gold.

Wishing Gordon a full and speedy recovery and all the best for the future.

Hope Gordon makes a quick and full recovery. Thank you for all your efforts during your spell at the helm.

Pat
Tweed was shocking at montrose so is a no go.

Aye, but did he not have the lowest budget in the SFL at the time ?

Morrissey
I cant help feeling that Durie was let down by his "friend" Chisholm. Gordon Chisholm, with his experience, should have been able to steer the ship whilst Durie was recuperating. However he jumped the ship when the going got tough and left the team hanging dry.

The players weren't palying for him and he was doing the job unpaid. What do you expect him to do ?

Bayviewboy

Hit the nail on the head as usual Andy!

Respect to Gordon for putting the Club and his health first.

Wishing a true Fife legend a speedy recovery!

Best wishes to Gordon for a full and speedy recovery. I think he has been let down badly by both the board and the players.

If the board had given him a half decent budget we could have been more competitive in signing players in the close season. The squad is woefully short in key areas -full backs. , defensive midfield, right mid/wing and up front. It is also crying out for a few winners/ leaders. It's obvious Gordon was operating with his hands tied and has had to mend and make do. A decent budget would also have reduced the need to bring in so many loanees - 5 is way too many and must have an effect on morale & team spirit. The shortsightness of the board this year will, I fear, lead to several seasons of us in furrher decline

That said - the squad we have should be more than capable of a mid league position and at least giving Elgin a game. To my mind there are too many players who think they are better than they are and whose heads go down as soon as we go a goal down. When was the last time we won from being a goal down and how many leads have ended up in draws or defeats?

If the rumours of only c8 players turning up for training that would explain why we have looked so off the pace after 20 mins or so in many games this season.

If the players had shown any level of consistency at all and been more prepared to.fight for a result we would be much higher up the league and there would have been no need for Gordon to resign.

We are now at a critical period for the club- we must make the right decision regarding the new manager AND support him with funds to sign ( not loan) at least 4 quality experienced players -if we do not we face many years stuck back in the third division and crowds will dramatically fall further.

If the board refuse to sanction investment in the new manager and the squad then they are not acting in the best interests of the club on the long term and should resign on principle.

If the rumours are true about Rankine holding onto £100k of the Rangers money and therefore there is no money to invest in the Manager or squad they should resign now and not be party to such going on. Durie has put the clubs interests before his own and deserves respect and credit for doing so. I hope members of the board will take notice of his selfless deed and either vote for investment in the team or resign in protest.

Fifer-11

If the rumours are true about Rankine holding onto £100k of the Rangers money and therefore there is no money to invest in the Manager or squad they should resign now and not be party to such going on. Durie has put the clubs interests before his own and deserves respect and credit for doing so. I hope members of the board will take notice of his selfless deed and either vote for investment in the team or resign in protest.

How can this guy called Rankine hold on to £100K of East Fife FC's money?

You can't just take £100K out of a business account whenever you feel like it, and this guy Rankine officially doesn't have anything to do with EFFC as far as is known, if you know differently then you should be talking to the authorities not spouting innuendos and rumour on a web site.

BrianL
Fifer-11

How can this guy called Rankine hold on to £100K of East Fife FC's money?

You can't just take £100K out of a business account whenever you feel like it, and this guy Rankine officially doesn't have anything to do with EFFC as far as is known, if you know differently then you should be talking to the authorities not spouting innuendos and rumour on a web site.

I did say it was a rumour and never said he had took £100k out of a business account.

Rather than waste authorities time on what is just a rumour it would be simpler for Rankine to come on here and refute ( or confirm) if he is that concerned- or get Sid to do it for him?