Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
New Manager

Well no doubt the rumours will begin about who will take over the reigns at Bayview. Hopefully the Board / owner take some time to consider the options and don't make a rushed appointment.
Who would you like to see takeover ? Who are the candidates ?
A few names which might come into contention -
Bob Malcolm / Brian McNaughton - nothing against them but inexperienced and to be honest I think the club needs new input and the players a clean slate.
Craig Levein - he'll probably be available later in the week !
Ian McCall ?
Davie Irons ? - no thanks !
Jim Weir ? - definitely not !
Stevie Hislop - untried and would not be accepted by some
Dave Baikie - if Willie Gray decided to come back ! We'd then sign Bobby Linn, Johnny Smart, Stevie Nicholas, Dougie Cameron,Craig O'Reilly etc from Ballingry
Billy Brown - ex Assistant to Jim Jeffries
Davie Clarke - allegedly has health problems of his own
Alan Adamson - recently sacked by Dumbarton
Gary Bollan - could be a good appointment !

No doubt there will be many others - I noticed Dumbarton had a lot of applicants whose only experience was that they had won the League on Champ Manager on the Xbox ! We might appoint on of them as it'll be a cheap option - shit ! I shouldn't have given the Board that idea !!!!!!!!

Re: New Manager

Surely if the Board want a true Fife legend to keep the fans "happy" then Greig McDonald must be on the list?

Sorry but Toro should remain a player legend. What really has he done at Stirling ? He was in charge when they got relegated. They are not exactly doing well in Division 3. Ok they beat Rangers but he wasn't even there. Lastly he would bring back SHaun Fagan as his Assistant - for that reason alone, as they say in the Dragons Den - I'm out !!!

Hahaha good point about the Fagan! Hasn't had much to work with at Stirling plus would give his all for the club, just putting it out there. Same reason people have put Tweedys name out there.

I think Billy Brown would be the best option of that lot.
Or maybe the Campbells if they could be enticed from Station Park.

i'm not too fussy for a Fife connection,what worries me is a new man coming in and giving the players a chance...getting a quick fix then we slump again mid January.The majority of the squad have had their chance and its time to clear them out.

Experienced managers are not always the best option.. Chisholm..jocky scott etc. young men like Colin Cameron,Jackie Mcnamara have proved that fresh ideas can produce results and good football.

To add to the list of managers Brian Reid. oh and Pep Guardiola

The Campbell's have been interviewed before and allegedly walked out in disgust at what was on offer. They have also had money to spend this year - Swankie, Gibson, Soutar etc. don't think they would leave Forfar who are comfortable this year to come to a sinking ship. Might be wrong though !

kenwit
i'm not too fussy for a Fife connection,what worries me is a new man coming in and giving the players a chance...getting a quick fix then we slump again mid January.The majority of the squad have had their chance and its time to clear them out.

Experienced managers are not always the best option.. Chisholm..jocky scott etc. young men like Colin Cameron,Jackie Mcnamara have proved that fresh ideas can produce results and good football.

To add to the list of managers Brian Reid. oh and Pep Guardiola

It easy to say clear the squad out but they are all on contracts which would have to be paid up to the end of the season before they could be released. The Board won't allow that. The players that clubs might be interested in are probably the few we would want to keep. We are going to have the majority of this squad for the season and any new manager may want rid of the loan players and be able to make 3 or 4 quality additions in January to guide us to safety. Based on yesterday's result we don't want to even be involved in the relegation play offs !

Colin Samual

Alan Adamson

Brian Ried experience at this level, good contacts, free agent, leader. Get him in !

Brian Reid would be a very bad appointment IMO! Gary Bollan for me! Applied for the Brechin job and was turned down allegedly! I'd have him here in a flash! Regardless, hopefully whoever comes in clears out some of the dross we have in the squad and punts all of the loanees minus Barr! Changes are needed to be made straight from the top and fast! This board will take us nowhere and no doubt bring in the cheapest option!

I am saddened that Gordon has gone. He didn't stand a chance because of his budget and his health. The biggest problem now is that the next appointment is in the hands of fuckwit Collumbine, whose sum knowledge of football is to say "ma brother played for East Stirling". Your club in his hands. He wouldn't know the way to Leven.

I agree Gary Bollan is a decent shout too, but in our situation still big character like Riedy for me. We are going to have to work with what we have. Board don't look like they are going to show up with any£

Told you all - guest managers!

I spoke to Jo Brand last night and she said she would have had one up the front and one plugging the back, been heavy around the middle and most importantly she'd have threatened to sit on the face of any player who didn't play well.

Beats 4-4-2.

I'd be surprised if Gary Bollan wasn't in the running. Good track record.

Would get Colin Martin our reserve team manager in as the new boss, the guy seems well qualified on the coaching front and if not as manager get him as an assistant to whoever is going to be the new manager.

KotS
Told you all - guest managers!

I spoke to Jo Brand last night and she said she would have had one up the front and one plugging the back, been heavy around the middle and most importantly she'd have threatened to sit on the face of any player who didn't play well.

Beats 4-4-2.[/quote

LOL KotS Edinburgh festival for you next year.

Aye bollan would be a good shout

A few names for the list on here:

Allan maitland - ex alloa manager - tops my list.......!!!
Tom Hendrie - ex Alloa manager
John mccormack - ex Morton and albion rovers manager
Brian Reid - ex ayr manager
Garry bollan - ex Livingston manager
Billy brown - ex hibs number two
Steven frail - ex hearts manager
Steven hislop - at boness utd and reaching the end of his carrer
Jim weir - ex montrose and brechin manager
Billy dodds - ex QOS number 2
Iain McCall - ex partick manager
Craig Robertson - ex east fife number 2
John coughlin - ex stenhousemuir manager
Neale Cooper - ex hartlepool utd and peterhead manager
Lee wilike - ex dundee utd player
Davie Nicholls - ex gretna player
Davie weir - ex rangers player
Jim Duffy - ex brechin manager at Clyde
Iain mcparland - ex notts county boss at ipswich as youth coach.
Chris McCart - at Celtic as youth coach ex motherwell.
Dick Campbell - at forfar
Gus McPherson - ex QOS manager
Criag Ireland - ex falkirk player was at raith rovers as youth coach
Billy kirkwood - ex rangers coach
Paul Kane - ex player lives in edinburgh according to FM
Mark Reilly - ex arbroath coach
Stevie Fulton - ex hearts player
Stevie Crawford - ex east fife manager some how at falkirk.
Gary mcswegan - at inverness as youth coach
Craig levein - at Scotland
Brian irvine - ex elgin manager
Paul jewell - left ipswich town this week.
Joel miller - ex player
Chris Sutton - ex Celtic player. Last job at Lincoln city.

Any more?

Cambuslang Fifer
A few names for the list on here:

Steven hislop - at boness utd and reaching the end of his carrer
Jim weir - ex montrose and brechin manager
Billy dodds - ex QOS number 2
Jim Duffy - ex brechin manager at Clyde
Gus McPherson - ex QOS manager

Any more?

I wouldn't mind Hissy as boss but he would have to become thick-skinned to cope with the feckwit section of our supporters.

Jim McIntyre , andy millen.

All depends on the ambition of the board and how much they are willing to pay any potential new boss.People saying get rid of the loan signings never had to endure that torture yesterday.It showed up how poor the players we have signed for the season really are.By playing the loan signings till january is the only way we can stay in touch at the foot of the table.The new managers hands are tied,and that in all honesty is all that he will be able to do.Then when the transfer window arrives in january he better get busy because once the loan signings go we are left with what we had yesterday,and i can assure you that is gauranteed relegation.How a team could dominate a game for 25 minutes like that then collapse like a pack of cards is beyond me.Elgin scored the first twice they went into our 18 yard box.Dont want to name any names but people who have watched the highlights on p and b are commenting how bad our centre half was.Dont know if the players knew the news before the game but they certainly blew the myth about east fife having a fighting cup tradition.We need a leader someone who will get respect i dont think its time for a novice.But as i said at the start it will depend how much we are willing to pay to get the right man in,and i dont think time is on our side.

Fifer
I wouldn't mind Hissy as boss but he would have to become thick-skinned to cope with the feckwit section of our supporters.

Don't want another Hissy dominated thread but approaching/appointing him is an absolute no no. Already too much bad blood between him and many supporters, the last thing we need to do is alienate more paying customers. It would be suicide.

Why is Hislop getting mentioned? No managerial experience. We need someone with a decent track record who can kick some asses, look at the squad and bring in new faces to improve the squad in January.

Few names been mentioned already. Allan Maitland, Gary Bollan and Brian Reid are all good shouts.

Here`s one ;
Davie Kirkwood,local lad

I think that we need a real mean bstard who kick ass really hard and get this squad organised and focussed.

Leven
Would get Colin Martin our reserve team manager in as the new boss, the guy seems well qualified on the coaching front and if not as manager get him as an assistant to whoever is going to be the new manager. [/quote

No chance he is not liked by the players and just because he has badges doesnt make him a good coach. its like asking a fan to come forward with badges but he wont have a clue what to do

Bollan for me. Absolutely crucial this appointment is right.

Craig Burley, he knows it all inside and out, apparently!

Or what about promotion for young McCoist to a higher level!

Billy Brown would be a good shout.

Really is an open book and we could be surprised!

An off the wall suggestion - Barry Ferguson!

Is Gavin Murray still kicking about ????

I like the sound of Billy Brown. What about a female coach though? Got to be time that some club in fitba goes for it? Why not?

Fifer
I like the sound of Billy Brown. What about a female coach though? Got to be time that some club in fitba goes for it? Why not?

Behave Angus

Whoever is appointed whether the players like him or not should be a complete irrelevance. We need a good man manager and tactician who the players respect rather than like.
A common denominator in every manager since Dave Baikie has been rumours of lost dressing rooms and players not trying for the manager.

It was really telling that Billy Dods said before the Rangers game that usually 8 players were turning up for training. Sooner or later the players have to take responsibility for the performance and the board have to own up to the fact that our signing policy and use of windfall cash has been terrible.

I could take us being relegated with a team build around Broony, Muir, Smith and McManus and some local lads young or old who tried 100% and didn't see themselves as dong us a favour by gracing us with their presence every week.

For me Billy Brown would be a good appointment but would he want to take it with the wages we are likely to offer?

Sparky
Whoever is appointed whether the players like him or not should be a complete irrelevance. We need a good man manager and tactician who the players respect rather than like.
A common denominator in every manager since Dave Baikie has been rumours of lost dressing rooms and players not trying for the manager.

It was really telling that Billy Dods said before the Rangers game that usually 8 players were turning up for training. Sooner or later the players have to take responsibility for the performance and the board have to own up to the fact that our signing policy and use of windfall cash has been terrible.

I could take us being relegated with a team build around Broony, Muir, Smith and McManus and some local lads young or old who tried 100% and didn't see themselves as dong us a favour by gracing us with their presence every week.

If only 8 players are turning up those who can't be bothered to attend should be punted asap.

As you correctly state we hear too much about players not liking the man in charge. It's high time some of them manned up in my opinion, a manager is not there to be "liked". Some players seem to consider it a hardship to train and play for the club. Look at the amount of moaning done on Twitter about getting up early to make "camel treks" to Elgin/Stranraer.

Players may not be East Fife supporters like us but they should be honoured to play for this famous club, and surely they should also have a respect for themselves as professional athletes to be the best they can possibly be. Even if they don't have ambitions to remain at the club beyond the season they should look at Ryan Wallace's effort and performances and see that he is now competing to win the First Division title with the Pars. The way some of these boys are going most juniors managers wouldn't look at them. Time to shape up, or ship out.

Shame circumstance has prevented Gordon from having a proper crack at the job. From the sounds of it the budget offered tied his hands in the transfer market. Those saying he needed to go as he signed the players that are under performing should realise that a manager needs to be given time to put his stamp on the side. Health has to come before sport though and Gordon remains an EF legend.

Got to hope the board don't rush into a decision and get the right man for the job. It's got to be long term appointment this time, we've lost our way a bit over last year. Not sure what we are trying to be anymore, under Crawford we were told that getting to the first was the aim. Now the actions of the board sack of a club from the 3rd enjoying their holidays up in the heady hights of the second.

Fifer

This is a joke, surely?

The Club is in turmoil, off and on the park, rumours of Rankin pocketing the Rangers cash, Club headed for the basement league, light years behind the other Fife teams, fans of 20, 30, 40 years jacking it in and you want to try some positive discrimination by bringing in a female manager NOW ?

Bayview Cat
Sparky

If only 8 players are turning up those who can't be bothered to attend should be punted asap.

As you correctly state we hear too much about players not liking the man in charge. It's high time some of them manned up in my opinion, a manager is not there to be "liked". Some players seem to consider it a hardship to train and play for the club. Look at the amount of moaning done on Twitter about getting up early to make "camel treks" to Elgin/Stranraer.

Players may not be East Fife supporters like us but they should be honoured to play for this famous club, and surely they should also have a respect for themselves as professional athletes to be the best they can possibly be. Even if they don't have ambitions to remain at the club beyond the season they should look at Ryan Wallace's effort and performances and see that he is now competing to win the First Division title with the Pars. The way some of these boys are going most juniors managers wouldn't look at them. Time to shape up, or ship out.

Which players were moaning, out of interest?

It has been unfortunate that Gordon Durie hasn't had the chance to take the squad he assembled. This post is in no way criticizing him as he has not had the opportunity to work with the players and we will never know if he could have got the best out of them.
However, I don't buy into the budget constraints argument. Yes we would all like East Fife to have an unlimited budget to bring in any player the Manager wants (if I win the Euromillions, we'll be in the Champions League within 4 years !)
Unfortunately it's highly unlikely to happen. Every manager in the country has a budget constraint whether its 50K, 100K or 500k and they have to decide how best to use the money. Small squad of better players on good money or big squad of poorer quality players on less money - it's the Managers decision. Just like this forum, opinions differ - some Managers may think a player is worth no more than £50 per week but another may be prepared to pay £75 per week. Managers are paid to Manage ! They are paid to build the best squad possible with the money available, coach the players to make them better players, motivate the players to get the best out of them in whatever system / formation he decides to use and he must manage the personalities and egos within the dressing room to develop a team spirit. - Management !
I don't remember Jim Moffat being given any concession after taking us up, then having his budget cut by 25%, getting relegated, then having his budget cut by another 25%.
Dave Baikie / Willie Gray proved that money can make a difference and sometimes buy success. A squad of players were brought in which were better than the other teams in the League because of the money they were being paid. Unfortunately, we don't have the resources we had a few seasons ago, therefore we won't be going on a spending spree anytime soon. Any new manager coming in will face financial constraints. We all hope that our Owner/Chairman/Board will release sufficient funds to bring in the best manager available and provide him with the funds to bring a few players in January, but essentially he will have to find a way of getting the best out of what we have, get some sort of team spirit and harmony back to the dressing room and bring some strong leadership off the park and get someone to do it on the park. It is vital that the Club take their time to consider all the options before appointing - I for one hope they do !

Bayviewboy
It has been unfortunate that Gordon Durie hasn't had the chance to take the squad he assembled. This post is in no way criticizing him as he has not had the opportunity to work with the players and we will never know if he could have got the best out of them.
However, I don't buy into the budget constraints argument. Yes we would all like East Fife to have an unlimited budget to bring in any player the Manager wants (if I win the Euromillions, we'll be in the Champions League within 4 years !)
Unfortunately it's highly unlikely to happen. Every manager in the country has a budget constraint whether its 50K, 100K or 500k and they have to decide how best to use the money. Small squad of better players on good money or big squad of poorer quality players on less money - it's the Managers decision. Just like this forum, opinions differ - some Managers may think a player is worth no more than £50 per week but another may be prepared to pay £75 per week. Managers are paid to Manage ! They are paid to build the best squad possible with the money available, coach the players to make them better players, motivate the players to get the best out of them in whatever system / formation he decides to use and he must manage the personalities and egos within the dressing room to develop a team spirit. - Management !
I don't remember Jim Moffat being given any concession after taking us up, then having his budget cut by 25%, getting relegated, then having his budget cut by another 25%.
Dave Baikie / Willie Gray proved that money can make a difference and sometimes buy success. A squad of players were brought in which were better than the other teams in the League because of the money they were being paid. Unfortunately, we don't have the resources we had a few seasons ago, therefore we won't be going on a spending spree anytime soon. Any new manager coming in will face financial constraints. We all hope that our Owner/Chairman/Board will release sufficient funds to bring in the best manager available and provide him with the funds to bring a few players in January, but essentially he will have to find a way of getting the best out of what we have, get some sort of team spirit and harmony back to the dressing room and bring some strong leadership off the park and get someone to do it on the park. It is vital that the Club take their time to consider all the options before appointing - I for one hope they do !

Andy , IV heard it from A director earlier n the season that " we can't pay what other 2nd division clubs are paying" why not? I'm not talking about throwing silly money about but surely SOME of the Rangers money can be used to strengthen a really weak squad. The alternative is lower crowds , less revenue , lower playing budgets and the downward spiral .We used to have attendances near the higher end of the league we will soon be just about the lowest average ( after Albion Rovers)

I would rather watch a team of a few honest hard working experienced pros ( we do have one or two) complemented by young players coming through and trying their hardest than prima donnas who (mistakingly) think they should be playing at a higher level .
Give us a modern day Willie Brown a John Allison and a Greig McDonald ( none of them he most gifted footballers) plus keep the spirit shown by Broony and Smith/mcMcManus and fill the rest of the team with youngsters -we may not get promotion but we'd be watching a team try their best in every single game they play .

when it comes to budgets and players then the manager will usually take the blame/credit for team results but i'd love to know ...who within the club was responsible for the shambles that cost the club a weekly wage for Collin Samuel?? was anyone asked to explain why he was signed and paid but couldn't play? which club official failed to carry out this basic duty to find out if the player was available?? i know this is in the past but these are the men who will probably have a say on who is appointed next as manager.

another candidate to add to the list is Fife legend Steve Pittman...i think current Broxburn manager

Bollan and Billy Brown would definitely be your two best options.
Bollan had Livi playing attractive football and produced good results, while I've always rated Billy Brown. Seems a very decent spud and knows the game inside out at all levels. Only stumbling block for you guys is he has a load of affection for the Linos.

I'm not saying our financial constraints are right. However teams like Ayr and QoS are consistently bringing well over 1000 fans in for home games, therefore more income. Stenhousemuir don't have great crowds but they are a Community Club who are well run and take in good income from hiring out their AstroTurf. It'll be interesting to see how Forfar do after installing an synthetic surface too. Alloa are another club who have a plastic pitch which again increases revenue to the club. There are five clubs who probably have bigger budgets than us so the Director was probably telling the truth.
No doubt some of the Rangers money will have been spent, unwisely in my opinion on the five loan players we signed. Where the rest of the money is, is anyone's guess. By investing some of this money in appointing the best Manager available and allowing him to make a few additions to the squad in January may prevent us going down, losing fans etc

Fifer

Same I totally agree with you.
He can't be any worse than Crawford when he was manager, I for one would welcome hislop back to bayview and save the club from the drop, people might change their minds and see us play division two football rather than trips to elgin and annan.

Something has to change first and that's our position right now in the leauge and get this bunch back on form.

Can I ask why there is a fair amount of support for Garry Bolan? I think it's fair to say that any success that he had at Livi was all down to having a relatively massive budget. Livi were correct to let him go and Brechin were arguably correct to turn him down. Think about it, the Gretna gaffer (who's name escapes me) has done nothing since. Ally McCoist is making a mockery of the 3rd division with a £6m wage budget. Is Neil Lennon the best manager in Scotland? Dare i say it..... we bought the title under Dave Baikie. Is Baikie ever mentioned for another job? What's he done since? Would you have him back??? Usual pub debate, could you or i do it with such an advantage? Personally doubt it but it certainly makes a huge difference. I have massive respect for Colin Cameron and the Cowden board (constantly getting good managers). Jackie McNamara has no budget but look at how he's doing. Please do not make a sentimental or cheap appointment! We've had no excitement or vision since the board were bold enough to appoint a certain Mr Stevie Archibald. Genuine ambition and look where that took us. we can no longer be behind teams that we should be miles ahead of. Elgin was an a massive low yesterday and the game ruined my day out. However, this is our chance to change for the better and for the long term. Finally, if Tweedy gets the gig my season ticket is in the bin. Mon the Fife

Rowan Alexander was Gretna manager. A few other names to consider - Gerry mcCabe Assistant at Dunfermline, Hamish French at Dunfermline. Lee Makel Assistant at Cowden, Alex Rae ex Rangers and Dundee.

Bollan definitely had the biggest budget in the league with Livi, both in Div 3 and Div 2, but won both far more convincingly than Sevco are doing at the moment.
Once in Div 1, he stabilised them, had them playing attractive football, but by no means had the biggest budget in that league.
He'll have plenty contacts in both higher and lower leagues ( Dundee United and Rangers) and would appear to have an eye for spotting talent (Bobby Barr at Albion Rovers).
If you guys seriously think that the return of Fat Willie will cure your ills, then you deserve a long spell in oblivion. We are still bleeding through our arses financially from his tenure- you lot should be thankful he bailed out when he did, otherwise you'd have been clearing up the wreckage as you celebrate the centenary of your cup win.

What's bobby Mann doing these days? Last time I saw him play was with peterhead but has retired I think. Can he cut it at manager level? Because bobby barr is only on-loan so why not, it seems to have a effect on the field why not in the technical area too.

We love the bobby? Answer solved.
Neil McCann can be assistant alongside hislop so we can have a defender, midfielder and attacking coaches in the box to do their trade it seems sense than the current crop no offense

kenwit
when it comes to budgets and players then the manager will usually take the blame/credit for team results but i'd love to know ...who within the club was responsible for the shambles that cost the club a weekly wage for Collin Samuel?? was anyone asked to explain why he was signed and paid but couldn't play? which club official failed to carry out this basic duty to find out if the player was available?? i know this is in the past but these are the men who will probably have a say on who is appointed next as manager.

another candidate to add to the list is Fife legend Steve Pittman...i think current Broxburn manager

I agree with your first paragraph. But Steve Pittman, an East Fife legend? I hope that was a joke.