Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Club Appoints Billy Brown as Manager

The club is delighted to announce the appointment of Mr Billy Brown as Manager. Billy has had a distinguished management career, having served in various capacities with Berwick, Falkirk, Hearts (twice) Bradford and Hibs.

He will take up his post immediately and will be at the Fife Cup match on Tuesday where he will be introduced to the players and coaching staff.
He will have responsibility for all football matters but of course will focus on the first team and on getting us back into the top half of the league and hopefully the playoffs.

The Board was unanimous in making the appointment and we look forward to a period of stability and progress for the club.

We hope as many fans as possible will come along to our next home league game against Alloa next Saturday to welcome Billy to the club and show their support for the team.

Re: Club Appoints Billy Brown as Manager

Eugene Clarke
The club is delighted to announce the appointment of Mr Billy Brown as Manager. Billy has had a distinguished management career, having served in various capacities with Berwick, Falkirk, Hearts (twice) Bradford and Hibs.

He will take up his post immediately and will be at the Fife Cup match on Tuesday where he will be introduced to the players and coaching staff.
He will have responsibility for all football matters but of course will focus on the first team and on getting us back into the top half of the league and hopefully the playoffs.

The Board was unanimous in making the appointment and we look forward to a period of stability and progress for the club.

We hope as many fans as possible will come along to our next home league game against Alloa next Saturday to welcome Billy to the club and show their support for the team.

[/quote

That was quick!!

Decent appointment. Hopefully the start of bigger and better things to come.

A much better and higher profile appointment than I had expected. Let's hope he gets the support from the Board and the stands as he has a great deal to sort out in the short term.

Welcome to Bayview Billy.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE NO MORE LOAN SIGNINGS

Big fan of that appointment.

Cometh the hour cometh the man. The right kind of manager at the time we need a bit of grit. If there are any prima donnas or shirkers in the squad they will soon get found out and shown the door.

As long as Jim Jeffries doesn't get the Scotland job I think we can look to better times ahead.

Well done East Fife.

Seems like an excellent choice as he is neither a rookie nor a lower league club hopper. May not please all but it is a quick,positive decision by the board.

gid

Decent appointment - hopefully he is allowed to bring in his own Coaching staff. Stevie Frail ex Hearts would be a great Assistant Manager. Welcome to Bayview, Billy !

More than happy with that appointment. Welcome to East Fife Billy.

Well chuffed with that... Hopefully a reaction on Saturday!

Very good appointment by the club. Hopefully there will be a good turnout for his first match on Saturday against Alloa

pleased with appointment,he'll know about the Hibs youngsters at the club and hopefully kick a few arse's in the present squad. i hope the board back him with some funds during the transfer window.

It's a decent appointment however I will be honest i was rather hoping that we were gonna snap up Craig levein after his sacking earlier. I hear all billy brown does is eats pies on the bench....

Pray4fife
It's a decent appointment however I will be honest i was rather hoping that we were gonna snap up Craig levein after his sacking earlier. I hear all billy brown does is eats pies on the bench....

Just to put you out of your misery, this won't be making the shortlist for 'Post Of The Week'.

Really pleased with this appointment. Billy Brown has been in the game for many years both as a player and as an assistant manager. I remember him well as a player in the 1970's - a good, solid defender.
His wealth of experience with Scottish clubs at various levels is surely a valuable asset. Looking forward to Saturday now!

Great appointment! I hear he has a sweet left peg!

Fair play to the board for acting quickly. Good luck Billy and all the very best.

Pray4fife

An hour and a half - that's all it took for the first signs of negativity to kick in!!!

In the interest of fairness 29 minutes was pretty slow for a riposte

What about hislop as assistant?

Great appointment in Billy Brown, really chuffed although very quick! I do suspect that they have been in talks well before Durie resigned. Welcome to Bayview and Best wishes to Jukebox on a speedy recovery.

Really good appointment for the Club to try and avoid the drop and hopefully a little more. Here's hoping the mess behind the scenes gets sorted out too, or one of us wins the lottery.

We're a fickle lot, aren't we? The same board of directors who were clueless muppets 24 hours ago are now having their decision on a new manager lauded as a 'great appointment'.
Billy is a good choice, one of the best options we could have hoped for, but do we have any reason to believe that he will be able to take the club any further forward than the last half dozen East Fife managers? Or will we soon be back to squabbling about the playing budget, the living dead in the boardroom, the failure to communicate with supporters, the phantom owner, the lack of vision, and the pish strips?
Billy will be a genuine success if he can save us from relegation this season. After that, can Billy or any manager really make a difference under the current regime at East Fife?

Great news and the board have done well to have it all sorted out so quickly. Let's hope the playing staff give him a reaction. Welcome mon the fife

Great news, a warm welcome Billy and the best of luck.

here we go again
We're a fickle lot, aren't we? The same board of directors who were clueless muppets 24 hours ago are now having their decision on a new manager lauded as a 'great appointment'.
Billy is a good choice, one of the best options we could have hoped for, but do we have any reason to believe that he will be able to take the club any further forward than the last half dozen East Fife managers? Or will we soon be back to squabbling about the playing budget, the living dead in the boardroom, the failure to communicate with supporters, the phantom owner, the lack of vision, and the pish strips?
Billy will be a genuine success if he can save us from relegation this season. After that, can Billy or any manager really make a difference under the current regime at East Fife?

I reckon it's a great appointment for you lot.
Billy Brown is by all accounts a good coach and comes across as a very nice, decent guy. However, I'm told ha doesn't suffer fools gladly and that will apply to the boardroom as well as the dressing room.
It might be an idea to let him get his feet under the table and decide who he wants as his assistant, instead of all the the shouts for Hislop and whoever else.

Well he'll have a couple of months to weigh up what we have and hopefully the Board will give him what he needs and support him in the January transfer window. Lets hope we are not in a hopeless position by then. It's firmly up to the current bunch of underachievers to prove that they are worth keeping.

The club has just announced that Billy Brown has appointed Mad Man as his Motivational Coach and MM has just announced that his assistant will be SPF who will also assume responsibility for capital projects at the club.
SPF is playing his cards close to his chest but has said that he has a project in mind but wants to take it a step at a time and keep a roof on it.

Not The Other Chairman
The club has just announced that Billy Brown has appointed Mad Man as his Motivational Coach and MM has just announced that his assistant will be SPF who will also assume responsibility for capital projects at the club.
SPF is playing his cards close to his chest but has said that he has a project in mind but wants to take it a step at a time and keep a roof on it.

Ha, ha, my motivational technique would be simple. A red hot poker up the arse followed by a solid hour of running up and down SPF's new terracing. With weights on.

I'm fairly happy with the appointment and think he could be the man to get the team sorted. Hope now we will use some of the Rangers cash to help him buy players.

Must have been some speed the board examined applications from 17 people and made an appointment 24 hours after Gordon Duries resignation! Now that is quick!

The board had nowt to do with it. Brown approached East Fife thank god.

Not been to see EFFC since board refused to go full time for Stevie Archibald. I might come back now as Brown is the first sensible appointment in years

G
Not been to see EFFC since board refused to go full time for Stevie Archibald. I might come back now as Brown is the first sensible appointment in years

That's a bit silly!! There would be no East Fife today had we gone full time then!!

Fat Doug
G

That's a bit silly!! There would be no East Fife today had we gone full time then!!

Really Mystic Meg?

Could also be the reason why we have been mediocre underachievers ever since.

Possibly, at the time i heard about some ridiculous figure to have everyone full time and our team that season wouldn't have stayed up, full time or not!

Never mind, really good appointment in my opinion and hopefully we can stay up this season and build for next.

Not The Other Chairman

Hmmm...dunno why you're bringing me into it but I'm sure you, as head of the Trust, have your own cards to play regarding the current predicament at the Club. Looking forward to you posing the "difficult" questions you speak of at the AGM and where the Trust goes from here.

Touchy,touchy, it was only a bit of banter.
Someone else used the phrase "difficult questions" but I look forward to receiving yours and any other questions from members.
You and all other members of the Trust decide where we go from here. I am Chairman of the Trust but have no more or no less say than any other individual member.

AGM

Ah, so that's how it works!

S-Pat
AGM

Ah, so that's how it works!

Seems to have been how it worked in this instance according to the East Fife Mail right enough. Nothing would surprise me...

Board member Eugene Clark told the Mail: “We had 17 applications if I remember and one of them was from Billy Brown’s representative saying he was interested. “He hadn’t quite been on our radar but, once he met with two board members on Monday and then we discussed it at the board meeting, it was unanimous.”

Not The Other Chairman
You and all other members of the Trust decide where we go from here. I am Chairman of the Trust but have no more or no less say than any other individual member.

It is not realistic to think that members are going to take a collective stance and come to you with it. They need guidance. Maybe this is why nothing has happened in years. What does the Trust stand for? What is it working on? What does it want or hope to achieve? What does it do on behalf of its members? I doubt if more than a handful of people know.
Democracy is essential, but without someone taking the initiative it can paralyse. What is being done to find out what Trust members want?
Another word for guidance is leadership.

Good point.

lets hope we can hold on to Brown now that the livy job is available !!

Billy.
Stay at East Fife old son...dont bother with that pish at Livingston!

ps John Collins has it in the bag

Great appointment. A player quoted "we needed someone like Billy to pull the team together" One hard barsteward