Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
East Fife Statement Re Finances

Following some ill-founded reports about the club’s financial state, at tonight’s monthly meeting the board have authorised the following statement:

The club is solvent and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future.

Nevertheless we, like almost all other football clubs have experienced a fall in income coupled with an increase in many of our costs. Most families have found themselves with reduced or static incomes and increased bills and the club is no different. Our local area contains some of the highest poverty and unemployment levels in Scotland and business activity has reduced.

How this affects the club can be indicated by the following points:

• over the last two months our total income has been substantially below our expenditure.

• our regular monthly payments excluding wages are £5000

• we have had two home matches in the past eight weeks.

What these points indicate is that the club has to keep a careful eye on our cash flow – we still have the winter period to face and possible shutdowns with no match income. We also have to anticipate future financial needs in the face of dwindling total income and constantly increasing costs.

It is for these reasons that the board took the decision on receipt of the gate share from the Rangers match to invest about two thirds of it (£100,000) in a fixed interest bond which will mature shortly before the end of the season. The remainder has been kept for general running expenses and to allow changes in personnel.

The board’s main aim is to keep the club in business and so far we have managed this but it would be a foolish person who would predict finances to improve significantly over the next few years.

We know that when the team starts to put some wins together under new manager Billy Brown the crowds will start to go up. But they will still be lower than previous seasons. There are no quick fixes and it would be irresponsible of the board to spend money that we think the club will need to ensure we will be solvent next season.

Anything our supporters can do to bring income to the club is welcome. Coming to the games as often as possible; setting up a regular payment to the Goldmine; suggesting to friends and family they could use the club’s function room facilities; mentioning to business people that we have rooms available for meetings, training etc; taking a hospitality package for a family treat such as birthdays; persuading our local small businesses to take an advertising board.

Anything you can do will be welcome. Thank you in advance.

The Board

Re: East Fife Statement Re Finances

So... thoughts?

Can't believe they've tied up 100 grand.

No real strengthening in the transfer window then unless the owners splash their own cash.

It's fine securing a long term future, but at the expense of s short term one and possible relegation.

Thanks for reposting this GoF.

Got caught up in phone calls as I was distributing it.

To be honest I'm no great fan of the board but feel they have to be given a little credit here.

I can only imagine running a football club must be like running up a hill backwords sometimes. I feel it's more important that there is a club for our sons and daughters to support than for cash to be spent now for perhaps one season in the first division and then what?

we have all seen what happened to clubs who "lived the dream" - Dundee, Gretna, Rangers and possibly Dunfermline (though not sure what dream they were living!!).

We need to try and find some middle ground of trying to improve the team and not bankrupting the club at the same time. Not easy I'm sure.

If the club don't get rid of the dead wood (that`s the majority of the first team) and invest in a half decent squad then what`s the point?
3rd division football (AGAIN) shit crowds and no-one really giving a fuck about East Fife?
They should eat some humble pie and speak to COWDENBEATH FC!
Shit stadium, shit crowds yet they consistently punch above their weight and seem a well run outfit.
They put us to shame really.

Mark
If the club don't get rid of the dead wood (that`s the majority of the first team) and invest in a half decent squad then what`s the point?
3rd division football (AGAIN) shit crowds and no-one really giving a fuck about East Fife?
Shit stadium, shit crowds yet they consistently punch above their weight and seem a well run outfit.

Get a grip son! There are around 500 people who DO care about East Fife, otherwise they wouldn't be at the games! Unfortunately, a minority and it is a minority, are like you and get all irate because we have a few bad results. Remember (if you were old enough), the season after we got promoted with Jim Moffat, top of the league (or 2nd top) after the first 9 games and ended up getting relegated.

I think Dumbarton were in dire straits last season at this stage. Look at what happened with them!

Try encouraging the team instead of continually bleating on here and at Bayview. Describing the players as you are doing, is NOT supporting the team!

Wullie
Mark

Get a grip son! There are around 500 people who DO care about East Fife, otherwise they wouldn't be at the games! Unfortunately, a minority and it is a minority, are like you and get all irate because we have a few bad results. Remember (if you were old enough), the season after we got promoted with Jim Moffat, top of the league (or 2nd top) after the first 9 games and ended up getting relegated.

I think Dumbarton were in dire straits last season at this stage. Look at what happened with them!

Try encouraging the team instead of continually bleating on here and at Bayview. Describing the players as you are doing, is NOT supporting the team!

Son? lol, you're a strange chap.

That 500 as you put it aren't enough though are they William? See thread on club finances for clarification.
A few bad results? Have you seen the league table? Have you even seen the team?
A minority eh? hmmm Are you sure about that? I think the voices in your head are kidding you on.
Still...you're a real supporter i suppose.
I`m clearly not real and a mere figment of your imagination.

woooooooosh

The board's statement makes a lot of the state of the economy, but misses the main point. The club is struggling financially because the football has been dire for months. People (our own people) don't want to pay to see it. Houston, we have a problem.
This also affects hospitality and commercial activity. Who wants to entertain clients or colleagues by taking them along to watch dross? Who wants to be a sponsor or advertiser if being associated with the club isn't attractive?
The board is begging supporters to do all they can to help the club's finances. How about the board makes a modest investment in the FOOTBALL club and give people a reason to want to put their money into a day at Bayview? The only way the club's financial position will improve is by offering a better experience to people than the bleak prospect that every second Saturday currently holds.

fan
How about the board makes a modest investment in the FOOTBALL club and give people a reason to want to put their money into a day at Bayview? The only way the club's financial position will improve is by offering a better experience to people than the bleak prospect that every second Saturday currently holds.

I am not disagreeing with the above just asking the question ...how can the club better the experience?

Many people would rather stay at home eating and drinking and watching sky TV.

What east fife need to do is embrace the community ....and the community need to get behind their local team. You should check out Spartans football model in Edinburgh. We should have youth teams covering each age group from 8 - 18 y.o. all self financing.
That gets the kids into playing sport and feel as if they are part of a bigger club.
We should aim to get to a stage where 70% of the first team come from the East of Fife ( or have a granny from Methil). That way the whole community will come out and support the team...and before you know it we will be Great Again.

I fully understand why the board are putting the Rangers game money aside. The crowds will go up if we can put some wins together but the current set of players are relegation material and we must find funds to strengthen in Jan. How many people contribute towards the managers funds?

Since the rangers game the Board have authorised the signing of 6 players ,5 loanees and pollock.This won't have come cheap but they've seen precious little return for the money.
The current situation has its' roots in the shambolic pre-season and the team the new manager has inherited does not reflect well on what went before.
Given there is no sign of economic recovery,the financial security of the club should be paramount,it shouldn't be beyond the club to achieve this and put a better team on the park.

fan
The board's statement makes a lot of the state of the economy, but misses the main point. The club is struggling financially because the football has been dire for months. People (our own people) don't want to pay to see it. Houston, we have a problem.
This also affects hospitality and commercial activity. Who wants to entertain clients or colleagues by taking them along to watch dross? Who wants to be a sponsor or advertiser if being associated with the club isn't attractive?
The board is begging supporters to do all they can to help the club's finances. How about the board makes a modest investment in the FOOTBALL club and give people a reason to want to put their money into a day at Bayview? The only way the club's financial position will improve is by offering a better experience to people than the bleak prospect that every second Saturday currently holds.

Think this sums it up perfectly. Things it seems are just going to drift along with no greater aim than to keep our heads above water. Then we have a desperate plea to already hard pressed fans to drum up support and income for the club. How about doing your job Board? How about putting in some investment and provide a vision that will help the club move forward and give the fans some hope for the future? What is the point of being on the Board if you are not in a position to do that? Seems to me that club policy is conducted on a wing and a prayer and hoping that a change of manger can turn a bunch of no-hopers into title challengers.

I presume that if we had not drawn Newco Rangers 2012 FC then we would have been up shit creek completely? Where would we have been without that money or is the new financial strategy for Board members to get their prayer mats out and hope that the almighty one can drum up an away tie against the old firm?

I have stopped going because there appears to be no hope for the future. This financial statement is welcome but offers the fans nothing other than things are likely to get worse. At least I can officially stop hoping now.

Mark
Wullie
Mark

Son? lol, you're a strange chap.

That 500 as you put it aren't enough though are they William? See thread on club finances for clarification.
A few bad results? Have you seen the league table? Have you even seen the team?
A minority eh? hmmm Are you sure about that? I think the voices in your head are kidding you on.
Still...you're a real supporter i suppose.
I`m clearly not real and a mere figment of your imagination.

woooooooosh

Well, I'd be surprised to find out you are an adult after your vitriolic post at the top and even more surprised to find out you are female, hence the 'son'! I just can't imagine an adult, or a female writing in that manner.

Mad Man
fan

Think this sums it up perfectly. Things it seems are just going to drift along with no greater aim than to keep our heads above water. Then we have a desperate plea to already hard pressed fans to drum up support and income for the club. How about doing your job Board? How about putting in some investment and provide a vision that will help the club move forward and give the fans some hope for the future? What is the point of being on the Board if you are not in a position to do that? Seems to me that club policy is conducted on a wing and a prayer and hoping that a change of manger can turn a bunch of no-hopers into title challengers.

I presume that if we had not drawn Newco Rangers 2012 FC then we would have been up shit creek completely? Where would we have been without that money or is the new financial strategy for Board members to get their prayer mats out and hope that the almighty one can drum up an away tie against the old firm?

I have stopped going because there appears to be no hope for the future. This financial statement is welcome but offers the fans nothing other than things are likely to get worse. At least I can officially stop hoping now.

That's fine, another whinger less to listen to at Bayview!

GoF
So... thoughts?

Can't believe they've tied up 100 grand.

No real strengthening in the transfer window then unless the owners splash their own cash.

It's fine securing a long term future, but at the expense of s short term one and possible relegation.

My reading is that around £50K will be available for changing the playing personnel in the short term.

Keeping the remaining £100K by as a "wait and see" is sensible too. I also think that in the summer we'll get more footballer to the pound.

You can't make it up! The so-called fans who post on here -

"I've stopped going"

"I'm no going back"

etc, etc.......

Who cares aboot what they are doing or going to do? Has anybody else noted how their posts are all about them, poor wee souls? I'm not going back, I've stopped going, my hard-earned cash, I've got better things to do on a Saturday.......

Well, just do it, but don't tell the world, because the world couldn't really care less aboot ye!

The statement does nothing to give the fans the slightest glimmer of hope that they have a board who have have vision and are dynamic enough to drive the club forward from the current state of torpor it's been in for years.

The statement says plenty and says nothing, ending up with the usual plea to the fans for ideas. Change the broken record change the board and get people in who know how to make a go of things.

No wonder the fans are fed up when the quality on the pitch is at the lowest ebb for years and the board plod on with no action plan beyond the end of the season, again.

GoF

Following some ill-founded reports about the club’s financial state, at tonight’s monthly meeting the board have authorised the following statement:

The club is solvent and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future.

Nevertheless we, like almost all other football clubs have experienced a fall in income coupled with an increase in many of our costs. Most families have found themselves with reduced or static incomes and increased bills and the club is no different. Our local area contains some of the highest poverty and unemployment levels in Scotland and business activity has reduced.

How this affects the club can be indicated by the following points:

• over the last two months our total income has been substantially below our expenditure.

• our regular monthly payments excluding wages are £5000

• we have had two home matches in the past eight weeks.

What these points indicate is that the club has to keep a careful eye on our cash flow – we still have the winter period to face and possible shutdowns with no match income. We also have to anticipate future financial needs in the face of dwindling total income and constantly increasing costs.

It is for these reasons that the board took the decision on receipt of the gate share from the Rangers match to invest about two thirds of it (£100,000) in a fixed interest bond which will mature shortly before the end of the season. The remainder has been kept for general running expenses and to allow changes in personnel.

The board’s main aim is to keep the club in business and so far we have managed this but it would be a foolish person who would predict finances to improve significantly over the next few years.

We know that when the team starts to put some wins together under new manager Billy Brown the crowds will start to go up. But they will still be lower than previous seasons. There are no quick fixes and it would be irresponsible of the board to spend money that we think the club will need to ensure we will be solvent next season.

Anything our supporters can do to bring income to the club is welcome. Coming to the games as often as possible; setting up a regular payment to the Goldmine; suggesting to friends and family they could use the club’s function room facilities; mentioning to business people that we have rooms available for meetings, training etc; taking a hospitality package for a family treat such as birthdays; persuading our local small businesses to take an advertising board.

Anything you can do will be welcome. Thank you in advance.

The Board

Pity they hadnt authorised a full financial statement.Usually the case when you get bit parts they are worse than made out to be.

As far as being solvent is concerned we`ll have to take there word for it.

Jocky's pal, Wullie.
You can't make it up! The so-called fans who post on here -

"I've stopped going"

"I'm no going back"

etc, etc.......

Who cares aboot what they are doing or going to do? Has anybody else noted how their posts are all about them, poor wee souls? I'm not going back, I've stopped going, my hard-earned cash, I've got better things to do on a Saturday.......

Well, just do it, but don't tell the world, because the world couldn't really care less aboot ye!

While I can see where your frustration is coming from, I can't help but think that the people who are telling us why they are staying away are the very people whose withdrawn financial contribution has left the club unable to make ends meet. Rather than lashing out at them with a "couldn't care less about you self-important lesser fans" attitude we should be working towards giving those people a reason to come back.
At least they are still interested enough to join this debate. We would have an even bigger problem if they walked away and didn't want to come back.

While I'm on ... that was a telling post from SPat. It rings true.

Jocky aka wullie,

You're a complete bellend.

Santa
Jocky aka wullie,

You're a complete bellend.

Oh, you are awful, but I like you!

I like others concerned would love to return to Methil and away to support my team. However every time I tread back I leave with the same view why do I bother? Following the team through the JIM MOFFATS BARMY ARMY I looked forward to every game. I am sure these days will return and hopefully it will be soon with BB. Until I see evidence I unfortunately will not be back. Sorry

S-Pat,Mad man,others,
As before I am making no attempt to defend the current board but what you are asking for is removal of the current board to be replaced by people who "know what they are doing". A small ommission is your suggestion as to where these five or six people with the following qualifications are :
a.East Fife fans or at least with East Fife sympathies
b.Thousands of pounds a year to to feed into club with a major shareholder who has absolutely no interest in the club
c.20-30 hours per week to carry out the running of the club

I can't wait to hear some of the names you have in mind to support your plan.

Maybe get a professional Marketing Manager at £30K ?? plus a full time Administrator to carry out the Directorial roles at £25K.

p.s. another minor detail but if you get rid of the board who selects the new board ? Perhaps an interim board ?

Not The Other Chairman
S-Pat,Mad man,others,
As before I am making no attempt to defend the current board but what you are asking for is removal of the current board to be replaced by people who "know what they are doing". A small ommission is your suggestion as to where these five or six people with the following qualifications are :
b.Thousands of pounds a year to to feed into club with a major shareholder who has absolutely no interest in the club

Maybe get a professional Marketing Manager at £30K ?? plus a full time Administrator to carry out the Directorial roles at £25K.

p.s. another minor detail but if you get rid of the board who selects the new board ? Perhaps an interim board ?

Can I recommend Santa to pick the new board, TOC? He's good at giving people what they want, especially around this time of year.

Not The Other Chairman
S-Pat,Mad man,others,

Well said...for those wishing the club to be Fan owned and have ambition then have a look at Stirling Albion.
They won 2nd Division in 09/10 season, the summer of that season The Stirling Albion Supporters Trust bought out the chairman .They were relegated 2010/11 then had X-factor trials to attract players, relegated 2011/12 to Div3 and now sit at the very bottom of scottish football.

Clyde's story is even worse ..won the 1st Div 2003/04(refused entry to SPL)..same year the Trust became involved to help financially as they were almost liquidated.2005 debt free through a CVA.Relegated 2009 to Div2..all players contracts terminated to avoid administration ,relegated to Div3 following season.

Yes,East Fife are going through a bad spell but i was able to sit through the Gavin Murray days and watching players like Dougie Hope so i'll be able to sit through this.

Not The Other Chairman
S-Pat,Mad man,others,

I appreciate that the directors put in a lot of time to run the club and was advocating a change, not neccesarily a complete change, but at least some fresh blood.Preferably someone with East Fife at heart, someone with money and someone with a head for business. I appreciate this is no easy tas but what I am seeing at present is the same old same old from a board seemingly devoid of steer, ambition, vision etc. No easy task, but to me the begging bowl to the fans for help is an indication the board have no fresh ideas and aremerely recycling what has come out in previous statements/meetings.

Jocky Jocky give us a wave, Jocky, give us a wave

I take it any idea of a plastic pitch is dead in the water? We would generate money all year round and apart from Kirkland High School there are no other facilities available to play football outside in the winter months.

Perhaps the money generated from the Sevco game should be used towards installing this? No postponed games over winter either.

Re: East Fife Statement

Not always been a big fan of the board, particularly the lack of information from them. However credit where it's due they look like they have prioritised the club future over immediate success when can only be commended. Putting in 100K in a short term bond looks like good business sense to me, particularly if the money would have sat unspent until needed. Hopefully all of the money won't be required to keep the club ticking over into next season and can be invested in something to benefit the club long term. i.e. not all on new signings. The only problem I can see if if we are relegated this season as the money would surely then be better spent on players to keep us up/ change for the title. A difficult decision to make and the more pragmatic view has understandably been taken by the board.

Hopefully the next piece of information on the direction the club is headed won't be forced out the board by rumours.

Poo Shoot
I take it any idea of a plastic pitch is dead in the water? We would generate money all year round and apart from Kirkland High School there are no other facilities available to play football outside in the winter months.

Perhaps the money generated from the Sevco game should be used towards installing this? No postponed games over winter either.

Could be a idea to put forward at the next meeting at the club, clubs like stenhousemuir and alloa have this and make money hiring the pitch out for 7 a side and that this could be a idea for us during the current climate espically when winter arrives. We could hire the pitch out to leven boys club, methilhill stollers and other local sides in the area to use aswell as 7a sides and make a profit out of this as clubs now outside the spl have gone ahead for plastic pitches in their stadium but if we were to have it at bayview will it work out as we only have one stand.

Pitch on Monday was really wet for the reserves and players found it hard to stay on their feets if they were on plastic they would of stayed on their feets more and I know some don't agree with a plastic pitch but other clubs have it and with dire money in the Scottish game its the only way forward for some.

Why do the board mention in their statement that the club is situated in an ecomomically deprived area?
I assume they are talking about Levenmouth, however isnt the club called EAST FIFE, which describes a huge area and includes the East Neuk (remember the East Neuk East Fife supporters club??)
If the club was in a richer area, would the club charge more for gate prices? I mean our gate prices are the same as the other teams at our level. Its not as if we are so poor we only pay 50p to get in!!
The attendances are much more linked to the performace of the team...if we were winning we would easily get a lot more punters coming in.

Also...I must mention a team called COWDENBEATH.
They come from a former mining area and have much poorer crowds. However they continually perform better than East Fife. Can the board please explain why this is??????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!

kenwit
Not The Other Chairman
S-Pat,Mad man,others,

Well said...for those wishing the club to be Fan owned and have ambition then have a look at Stirling Albion.
They won 2nd Division in 09/10 season, the summer of that season The Stirling Albion Supporters Trust bought out the chairman .They were relegated 2010/11 then had X-factor trials to attract players, relegated 2011/12 to Div3 and now sit at the very bottom of scottish football.

Clyde's story is even worse ..won the 1st Div 2003/04(refused entry to SPL)..same year the Trust became involved to help financially as they were almost liquidated.2005 debt free through a CVA.Relegated 2009 to Div2..all players contracts terminated to avoid administration ,relegated to Div3 following season.

Yes,East Fife are going through a bad spell but i was able to sit through the Gavin Murray days and watching players like Dougie Hope so i'll be able to sit through this.

Dougie Hope pulled on the shirt on 282 occasions. Only 10 other players have turned out more times for the Fife in 109 years. What exactly have you done for the club?

Bit of respect please.

Supporter
kenwit
Not The Other Chairman
S-Pat,Mad man,others,

Dougie Hope pulled on the shirt on 282 occasions. Only 10 other players have turned out more times for the Fife in 109 years. What exactly have you done for the club?

Bit of respect please.

sorry Dougie