Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
FAO Jim Beavers: Re- Wemyss Vale FC

Jim - following on from my question about where Lappy Park was in East Wemyss, and your Wemyss Pals said it was actually another name for Station Park - I've looked a bit deeper into this and it seems there was two Station Parks! Please email me via the link below (I seem to have lost your e-mail address!!) and I'll give you further details!

Re: FAO Jim Beavers: Re- Wemyss Vale FC

Jim, I only know of one, which is now flattened but was one of the best local parks. Old air raid shelter for changing rooms!

The current park has always been The Aukd Dump, since it was made into a pitch around late 1979-80.

There was also Castle Park, which wad taken over as part of cemetery.

Can't think of another station park but my dad will know!

Mike - the Station Park you will be referring to will be the one on the north side of the railway embankment (now also gone!). Interesting to know about the old air raid shelter used as changing rooms!
I'm also interested to learn about Castle Park and who played there?.
The OTHER Station Park I would be very surprised if your Dad knew about because it was in use in the early 1900's. There was another ground, Albert Park, which was in use around the same time. Both were used by Vale of Wemyss juniors (more commonly known as Wemyss Vale).
All will be revealed in a 'Football Ground Time Team' article in the programme in a few weeks' time!

I played on the Station Park against Wemyss Weavers in the 1970's/80's.

Mike Gill
Jim, I only know of one, which is now flattened but was one of the best local parks. Old air raid shelter for changing rooms!

This Station Park was definitely one of the best parks in the area, excellent playing surface, when it was dry, always thought it got quite boggy in wet weather!!!

btw
Mike, it wasn't an Air Raid Shelter that was used as changing rooms it was an old Nissan Hut, that story goes, was requisitioned from the nearest RAF base after WWII. (Sure Jim C. will know which base, he probably served there!!!

It looked like this!!!

Spot on! Ah that brings back the memories

Mind now! .... there will be an article in the East Fife programme about Station (or Lappy) Park in the not too distant future ... be sure to get your copy!!!!!!!! (as well as articles about Anster Rangers' Milton Park, Buckhaven's Toll Park, Denbeath Star etc. etc ...... )

Hi i played for wemyss weavers afc the team was managed by big jock Dunsire and was linked to the weavers factory.You went under the old railway tunnel and the old hut was just as on the picture.Happy times it was a good pitch and we had a not to bad team

Played at Station Park many times for Kennoway Rangers in the 70s and for Thornton Amateurs in the 80s. Really liked playing there as we never lost but I particularly liked the fact that was a railing round the whole pitch. Not many juvenile sides could boast that. Nissan was more than suitable for changing room purposes.
Also played Wemyss Hearts in two finals at KGV and guess what? We won those too!

cowdengelly
I played on the Station Park against Wemyss Weavers in the 1970's/80's.

I played for Wemyss at Castle park. They used the pitch for Cemetery #2

Titch Ritchie was our coach.

Also played at Station park and right enough it was an old air raid shelter as dressing rooms.

Mike Gill
Spot on! Ah that brings back the memories

Is that the one? I remember it being as wide as that but not nearly as long?

Love football archaeology; keep up the good work.