Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Poor Crowds!

Watching the scotish cup ties on BBC an shocked at the size of the crowds. Dont know official crowd figures but looks poor. Only decent atmosphere at Ross co v caley. Makes U think maybe EFFC correct in only havin 2000 limit and nothin on three sides? future looks bleak.

Re: Poor Crowds!

Sportscene Viewer
Watching the scotish cup ties on BBC an shocked at the size of the crowds. Dont know official crowd figures but looks poor. Only decent atmosphere at Ross co v caley. Makes U think maybe EFFC correct in only havin 2000 limit and nothin on three sides? future looks bleak.

Yeah, real vision there by the club 15 years ago. You can just imagine the conversations. "Well, let's face it chaps, we're going to be shit for ever more so what's the point of having more than 2000 capacity? Let's build a soulless, concrete three sided stadium. It's the future you know, the fans will love us for it! "

Just imagine, if like Arbroath, we'd have got a draw at Celtic today and then had a home replay to come? Live TV coverage, lots of money for that, maybe 5 or 6 thousand crowd, chance of a big upset. Just a small problem...

TV bosses: They are playing the match at Dunfermline. Only one winner there I would say. Ah fuck it, let's go with Caley Thistle against Ross Coonty again.

Sportscene Viewer
nothin on three sides

And that, exactly compounds the fact why such a historic club like East Fife has such poor crowds now (a big factor). A shit and depressing match day atmosphere/viewing experience for any fan. Imagine bringing your son/daughter to that, trying to get them enthused/fall in love with East Fife. Imagine trying to entice lapsed fans of the last 15/30 years back to stare at three breeze block walls... I'm sure current and prospective payers are well impressed too.

St Pauli Fifer
Sportscene Viewer
nothin on three sides

Imagine bringing your son/daughter to that, trying to get them enthused/fall in love with East Fife.

I do it every week. What's the problem? Do material things excite you more like?

Jocky
St Pauli Fifer
Sportscene Viewer
nothin on three sides

Imagine bringing your son/daughter to that, trying to get them enthused/fall in love with East Fife.

I do it every week. What's the problem? Do material things excite you more like?

See my whole post you part-quoted. You'll find the answer there. It was like watching a game of football in an atmosphere-less prison yard. East Fife, a multi-cup-winning Club, playing in front of three walls. Crazy really.

What do you do every week? I never saw many teenagers attending Bayview in recent years out of the dwindling500. I had non-EF mates with me at games even comment on the lack of youthful/next generation fans. Looking at 3 walls isn't attractive to watch semi-professional football matches. How could it be?

St Pauli Fifer
Jocky
St Pauli Fifer
Sportscene Viewer
nothin on three sides

See my whole post you part-quoted. You'll find the answer there. It was like watching a game of football in an atmosphere-less prison yard. East Fife, a multi-cup-winning Club, playing in front of three walls. Crazy really.

What do you do every week? I never saw many teenagers attending Bayview in recent years out of the dwindling500. I had non-EF mates with me at games even comment on the lack of youthful/next generation fans. Looking at 3 walls isn't attractive to watch semi-professional football matches. How could it be?

So... you can NEVER enjoy ANY games at Bayview then? I've enjoyed many games at Bayview, the last one against Arbroath was excellent.

Oh dear.

East Fife should hire you as there marketing guru.

"Come to Bayview, it's a soul-less, horrible stadium, like something out of the Eastern Block, but in spite of the 3 walls and thanks to the players' efforts, you might enjoy the odd game with around 500 other home fans."

Jocky
St Pauli Fifer
Sportscene Viewer
nothin on three sides

The problem is one that you can't see. The problem is not you. The problem is all those who don't share your level of enjoyment. They are represented by lots of empty seats, which could be occupied by more supporters if they felt that going to watch East Fife was a more enjoyable of worthwhile experience.
Again, just to make sure- this is not about you.

Firstly can I say I don't like sitting at a football match and I was not consulted when New Bayview was at the planning stage.
Assume that twelve years ago the board at the time built a 5000 capacity stadium with a seats all round and a bit of terracing.
There is absolutely nothing to suggest that any more spectators would have turned up at our first home match and nothing to suggest why having an improved stadium would have changed anything over the last twelve years.
I agree that Bayview does not encourage a good atmosphere but we've got what we've got and given EFFC's finances and the state of football in general it would be suicidal to spend money on developing the stadium.
What possible business sense is there in putting the club into debt on the rationale that we may draw Celtic or Rangers at home in a cup game ?

If you are a businessman with a product which is of below average quality do you invest in expensive premises which leaves you no money to improve the product or do you invest in improving the product and then start to consider improving the premises ?

Hand wringing of the highest order on this thread. Like Jocky I've seen plenty of great games at New Bayview. If you are frustrated about the lack of atmosphere, get together with others and get some singing going. The blame culture does my nut in. It's always someone elses fault, never ever take some responsibility yourself and do something to make things better. Rant over. Come on the Fife. F**k the moaners.

St Pauli Fifer
Oh dear.

East Fife should hire you as there marketing guru.

Tut, tut SPF! Not there, but their!

Not a marketing guru by the way, just a supporter of East Fife my local club, who just happen to be in my blood, unlike yours (or 'fan' and the others he says, it's really all about), it seems.

You'r missing the point jocky, st Paul spot on, I agree that the whole thing, stadium & atmosphere is crap.

Fifer
You'r missing the point jocky, st Paul spot on, I agree that the whole thing, stadium & atmosphere is crap.

No it's you missing the point. What are you going do do about the above? Or is it up to other people to try to change things?

Not The Other Chairman
Assume that twelve years ago the board at the time built a 5000 capacity stadium with a seats all round and a bit of terracing.
There is absolutely nothing to suggest that any more spectators would have turned up at our first home match and nothing to suggest why having an improved stadium would have changed anything over the last twelve years.

I agree with most of what you have said NTOC but I question the stuff above. For a start, we wouldn't have had to take two lucrative cup ties to Stark's Park and East End Park. The costs of renting those grounds would have been saved and our part-time supporters in the local community would have had a better chance of getting to the game.
Also I don't think you can claim that there is nothing to suggest any more people would have turned up over the last 12 years if we had been able to offer a better atmosphere. That's the nature of the problem here. The missing people stay away, which means there can be no evidence of their decision not to go to games. But the anecdotal stuff comes up again and again, and even regulars like yourself admit Bayview is not ideal. If the diehards admit it could be much better, imagine what those who are less committed must think. Every time there is a better option, they will take it.

Great post.

I've given up on terracing or anything to improve atmosphere - why, because East Fife are shint (and I've given up altogether). Without the Rangers money we'd be up shit creek. We have the Brown days all over again. This was what I wanted know from folk at the AGM. The ownership thing is beyond ridiculous and Sid has denied Rankin is involved and will continue to do so, so there's no point even touching on that. It's all about what the board has planned for East Fife over the next few years and how they've identified how to retain and get new fans to pay in. Otherwise, there'll be no East Fife to follow in the next few years.

The only reason I even replied on this thread is the OP suggested that nothing on 3 sides is good for East Fife. It isn't, and we ALL know it.

Supporter
Fifer

No it's you missing the point. What are you going do do about the above? Or is it up to other people to try to change things?

What is there to do though? Spf makes a valid point and only tells it as it is. What's with the personal abuse of this guy? Cyber bullying by sad keyboard warrior's perhaps. Easy target maybe? Why?
Aftn is the closest i Get to east fife these days. They are my club and always will be but dear god what a dreadful place to waste 13 quid. I hate the place with a passion and go to the odd away game and hopefully will never attend Bayview in its current state. The clowns who agreed to this poor excuse for a stadium should be ashamed.
The Rankin, Tweed situation is another farce and Columbine is a blazer wearer and not much else.
Sad how the club has regressed and doubt very much things will improve as things stand.
I'm sure the trust has good intentions but I think its headed by certain individuals with a feeling of self importance and not much else. Talk a good game but need someone with clout and in this day and age clout means money and a certain degree of business acumen. It's all very well coming on here and talking a good game, putting people down and defending the status quo but I fear we will be no further forward 12 month's down the line.
Ineffective to be honest.

I would also like to add, when the team are playing well (or we have a good team) the away days are superb. When we get a big team away in the cup, the atmosphere is fantastic. So much so, opposition fans often comment positively.
Take from that what you will.
We have what we have and we're stuck with it. Just don't expect to attract too many new fans in the future

Yep the ground maybe crap but you know what, when we blast, streak or scramble the ball into the net I get the same feeling I had as a ten year old at the old ground. Whats the point in complaining about the ground. It is what we have at the moment and I am sure everyone would want a bit of terrace or anther stand to help the atmosphere however instead of us all moaning and some going on about the fact that they won't attend home games (which is a joke as far as I am concerned) Why don't we have a bring a clan day where all of us big mouths on the site agree to beg, drag or con as many friends and family to a home game as possible. If everyone encouraged just two people to attend we would be as well supported as most of the Div 1 teams. Then we may have the prospect of needing to build further capacity.

The funny thing is, doesn't anyone remember people complaining about how crap old Bayview was and how we needed a new stadium. Added to that from about 1983 through to the 90'S the only time in my memory that we really needed more than 2000 capacity was against Rangers on the famous night time game against Souness and Co. The Hibs replay and a Saturday game against Celtic when we got humped and a few games against the Pars.

It's simply not going to happen.

BT
Why don't we have a bring a clan day where all of us big mouths on the site agree to beg, drag or con as many friends and family to a home game as possible. If everyone encouraged just two people to attend we would be as well supported as most of the Div 1 teams. Then we may have the prospect of needing to build further capacity.

I've tried it many times. They don't enjoy it and they don't come back. The most frequent feedback is that there is no atmosphere. Some say it looks like a prison match.
I'm sure every one of us has tried to encourage other people to attend. It is a tough sell.

I mentione dthe a couple of years ago with no result, here goes again.

Who helped build the terracing at old Bayview?? Us, the fans, well, Great Grandads anyway.

Of all the fans we have there must be tradesmen.

Will the club put it to the fans and ask for volunteers to help build a section of standing terracing??

I will help, not a builder but can do labouring jobs.
Maybe some building workers amongst fans can help.
Local builders can help with supplies and labour, if they are asked.

All the club would need to do is the planning/permission side of it.

This can be done if all concerned motivated, but ONLY IF THE CLUB ASK. Hold a survey by handing out leaflets on a few match days for fans to reply and call local companies if response from fans is good.

Nothing fancy, just an area of terracing, not beyond the realms of possibility, is it?????

Fifeyboab
I mentione dthe a couple of years ago with no result, here goes again.

Who helped build the terracing at old Bayview?? Us, the fans, well, Great Grandads anyway.

Of all the fans we have there must be tradesmen.

Will the club put it to the fans and ask for volunteers to help build a section of standing terracing??

I will help, not a builder but can do labouring jobs.
Maybe some building workers amongst fans can help.
Local builders can help with supplies and labour, if they are asked.

All the club would need to do is the planning/permission side of it.

This can be done if all concerned motivated, but ONLY IF THE CLUB ASK. Hold a survey by handing out leaflets on a few match days for fans to reply and call local companies if response from fans is good.

Nothing fancy, just an area of terracing, not beyond the realms of possibility, is it?????

Interesting thoughts Boab. Its a start!

Aye Fed Up. Most of us would be proud to say we helped to do it. I'm no expert but it doesn't seem such a big task. Proper drawings and then planning permission. Access is easy, sand and cement + blocks maybe most of it donated with promise of term of free advertising? No cover, only terracing. Fans to help with labour. With motivation it can be done.

Fifeyboab
Aye Fed Up. Most of us would be proud to say we helped to do it. I'm no expert but it doesn't seem such a big task. Proper drawings and then planning permission. Access is easy, sand and cement + blocks maybe most of it donated with promise of term of free advertising? No cover, only terracing. Fans to help with labour. With motivation it can be done.

What we need is a guid toolpusher Fifey and your the man!!

Aye Rabhaw.I'm sure you would be down there grafting anaw :)Lets do it!!!!

In my opinion I dont think terracing would make one iota of a difference. Don't see how 150 standing behind the goals out of a crowd of 600 - 700 can possibly be any better.
Here's the techy bit...haven't measured it but I reckon there is no more than 3 metres (10') between the net staunchions & the wall. Even putting a barrier in line with the staunchions the techy standards thingys will insist on a flat walking area of around 1.5 metres leaving 1.5 metres or so to put terracing... say three steps @ .5m wide x 8 inches high. Waste of time, money & space. Standing behind the goal at Peterhead is awful, you dont know whether the play at the other end is 5 yards from goal or 25 yards from goal. Even Ochilview's covered terracing is an awful place to watch a game from!
Now if you want to talk about something on the far side, I would go for that but how do you access it?
This is all just my opinion but I would rather any money was spent on players but there again perhaps if you build it they will come! DOubt it big time! The apthy towards our club within the Levenmouth area is shocking! Years of local businesses being treated like crap by previous boards means that trying to get advertising or sponsorship locally is like looking for hen's teeth! I know cause I've tried to do for the YF & the programme in recent years.
Whats needed? Fuctifano but it sure isn't terracing!

We have a hardcore fan base of 530 people who support east fife week in week out.Against cowden last year we had over 1000 at the game,and cowden would be lucky to bring 100 fans.Now ive watched east fife for nearly 40 years and the same thing happens every time we add a few to the gate we put in a terrible performance.Even if we could attract 250 of the added 500 on the gate against cowdenbeath would be great.People will come and watch a winning team and this season we have had a poor start,but if the game goes ahead this weekend after two great performances and results hopefully the stay away fans will come back and support their local team.However i think football at all levels will continue to go downhill, unless their is a look at the pricing policy it must be cheaper to get fans back into football stadiums.Better marketing and season ticket deals is another step in the right direction.In the defence of new bayviiew can any fan tell me a new stadium they have been to in scotland where there is a good atmoshere i.e livingstone,airdrie,dumbarton or would fans prefer an old dinosour like central park,or coatbridge,give me new bayview any time a great playing surface.I would like to try a few games on a friday night and see what the crowds are like.Summer football worth a try as well,and a league of 18 or 20 teams only playing each other twice,would be more attractive to fans.

Remember the old Bayview, up to your ankles in piss when you went to use the toilet. In fact the whole ground was one large shit hole. It surely should have been condemned as a health hazard. Sure I saw some great games there but its time had come. I know the new (14 years old or so)ground is a bit soul less but it appears to have a good playing surface and you will not catch any diseases if you use the facilities. Would the fans rather have us play at say Central Park, now that is another shit hole last time I was there which was the early kick off game against us. Myself I am putting up a few pounds overweight these days as they say in horse racing and prefer to sit but have nothing against a standing area if it is safe.

I just think that it is not a great big task to build terracing only. Agree with Liam on terracing not raising attendances. That's not my main reason.First, the pleasure as fans being able to stand. Secondly, the "look" It will look more like a "real" stadium. Look, im not trying to get the club to fork out what they don't have, of course id rather have a team on the park, my aim is to try and find out what a terracing only would cost and to find out if us fans can help with donations, tradesman friends to lay the foonds and raise some sort of terracing.

So then boy's this weekends attendance (weather dependent)

I will go for a healthy 619, and a healthy trade at the pie shop just hope that the boiler is switched on for the Bovril.

Mon the Fife.

Liam Anderson
In my opinion I dont think terracing would make one iota of a difference. Don't see how 150 standing behind the goals out of a crowd of 600 - 700 can possibly be any better.
Here's the techy bit...haven't measured it but I reckon there is no more than 3 metres (10') between the net staunchions & the wall. Even putting a barrier in line with the staunchions the techy standards thingys will insist on a flat walking area of around 1.5 metres leaving 1.5 metres or so to put terracing... say three steps @ .5m wide x 8 inches high. Waste of time, money & space. Standing behind the goal at Peterhead is awful, you dont know whether the play at the other end is 5 yards from goal or 25 yards from goal. Even Ochilview's covered terracing is an awful place to watch a game from!
Now if you want to talk about something on the far side, I would go for that but how do you access it?
This is all just my opinion but I would rather any money was spent on players but there again perhaps if you build it they will come! DOubt it big time! The apthy towards our club within the Levenmouth area is shocking! Years of local businesses being treated like crap by previous boards means that trying to get advertising or sponsorship locally is like looking for hen's teeth! I know cause I've tried to do for the YF & the programme in recent years.
Whats needed? Fuctifano but it sure isn't terracing!

Poor excuses. There are acres of space all around the stadium. Building some terracing and designing in suitable access is hardly the world's greatest technical constructing challenge is it? Access is not the problem. Where I do agree is that putting a few steps behind the goal would be pointless. I would prefer it to run the length of the far side and provide a decent rake so you get a good view. Some of the newer lower league grounds in England have excellent examples of such terracing (Burton Albion is a good one) so it can be done. It wouldn't even need to be covered at first though that would surely be the ambition.

You say that that 600 or 700 people would not make a jot of difference, but I recall crowds of that size at old Bayview and you could get a decent atmosphere when we were all under the enclosure (especially when it was raining and there was no option but to stand there!). I say it would make a difference and would give us a bit more pride in our stadium something that is lacking at the moment. There is already much in place at the stadium that is already good. We have a decent main stand, a great playing surface and good floodlights to name but three. We just need to go that bit further. All that is lacking is the will, something that sadly is all too characteristic of club Boards past and present.

If seats were to be removed, would that leave viable terracing.

Maybe as an experiment, we do a season where 1/3rd of the existing stand is terracing. Perhaps the back 7 rows from the sea-end to the police box.

Mad Man
All that is lacking is the will

and the wonga