Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Next year's strip

Fife's current strip is terrible.
When deciding on next year's kit, can the club please think about the following:
The strip should be predominantly gold with with a thin black stripe. (As I remember from the 1960s)
Shorts should be white.
Socks should be black with gold tops.

That would be a proper East Fife strip.

Also, could the club choose a decent manufacturer, such as Adidas, Nike, Puma or even Kappa.

Just a thought!

Re: Next year's strip

I agree with your colour choice, however I imagine the choice of manufacturer is a question of economics.

I think it would be a nice touch in 2013 (110 years after the founding of the club) that the away strip should be green and white horizontal stripes.
(East Fife's colours when they were first formed were green and white and not black and gold)

Here we go again

Nae wonder.

If there were East Fife men on the board, East Fife would take the field looking like East Fife

Bt
Here we go again

Why not? The strip is a bad joke. Why shouldn't a fan be able to say that, and to ask for a strip that looks like East Fife? If it takes 'here we go again' to make feelings known, then that must be a good thing.
Not only is our strip terrible, but we also wear the change strip far too often. A home game against Stranraer, and East Fife are playing in red. Why? For any sake, let's see East Fife playing in black and gold stripes.

fan
Bt
Here we go again

Why not? The strip is a bad joke. Why shouldn't a fan be able to say that, and to ask for a strip that looks like East Fife? If it takes 'here we go again' to make feelings known, then that must be a good thing.
Not only is our strip terrible, but we also wear the change strip far too often. A home game against Stranraer, and East Fife are playing in red. Why? For any sake, let's see East Fife playing in black and gold stripes.

Sorry if I was misunderstood the comment was in reference to the green stripes, I just don't like the colours and btw I have no pathetic bias in any other way as the last time I commented on the subject was accused of all sorts. In total agreement on the home strip. That said if you were to bring out a crap home shirt as we have, if you then the next season bring out a great traditional one you may sell more. Not that it will be planned but I'm sure there would be plenty sold. As for the green stripes, I am sure they would fly off the shelf ????

I would love to see the black and gold stripes back for next season, bring back our usual kit style than this we currently play in for two seasons now with only the change of sponsorship was added to the top...but im not bother as long as we get the right results on the park its the main thing!

Been here so often it really has become a bore! We could wear pink & yellow polka dots for all I care as long we win more than we lose! I believe there is something special planned for next season strip wise so hopefully everyone will be happy. Probably not though I'm there will something to moan about, stripes too wide or too thin no doubt!

Stripes are traditional and preferable but a decent black and gold kit would do for me. The classic gold top with black collar and cuffs as per early 70's Billy McPhee and co was always a classy strip, the black shorts and white socks with black and gold tops the finishing touches. Something like that would do me too.

Branded merchandise sells. Unbranded merchandise also sells, but not nearly as well, although the profit margins are a bit better per item. However we also want the players to feel like professional footballers playing for a professional club. When junior clubs are running out in Nike, Adidas, Umbro etc, it begs the question. What are the supposed benefits of unbranded strips and merchandise? I could understand if they were amazing strips!

I quite like the idea of a non branded kit and the 1903 thing was good. And the less money you can put into the hands of corporate giants like Nike and Adidas the better really. However, the quality of the merchandise is the thing and although I'm too old to go round buying football tops for myself, I have for other people as presents and I don't think the unbranded stuff can match up to what the big corporations produce. Mind you it's all synthetic crap either way. Why not start a new trend and go for old style heavyweight cotton tops and a real retro design for next season?

I want either Nike, 1903 or Hummel to manufactor our kits. I much perfer the hummel kits that we had they were very stylish and they do strips so anything with black and gold strips will do for me but i like the idea of us having our own brand in 1903 no many scottish clubs i see run around in there own version kit these days.
I wonder if the club shop will be getting any more training tops and training windstoppers with zip pckets and numbers on them in again as the one we have seem to be a bit big for me to buy, gutted

Who agrees that instead of having this topic on this forum every year we should come up with idea kits and let the fan choose them on the official website, then the best one wins will be worn next season...problem solved? Dumbarton did this for their promotion season to division one with their white kit that looks like our red away kit almost...suggestions

This season's kit in reverse (predominately gold) would've been great. Fed up of looking like I am going to a funeral; either black/gold stripes or predominantly gold.

I'd like a return to the reekie motors strip of the late eighties.

http://images.prodirectsport.com/v3_products/V3_1_Main/47087.jpg

Something similar to this would look good in my opinion, as long as it's a return to the stripes

Young Fifer

Something similar to this would look good in my opinion, as long as it's a return to the stripes

That is fantastic, a bit of a return to the early eighties glory years, with the added bonus of a "trendy manufacturer to help encourage sales with those fans who are a bit more "street"!!!

Like Tam!!!

Why dont we have a competition for a new club crest as well?
Id like to see the old power station incorporated into our badge to give a historical reference with maybe a section of waves representing the bogs in the old Beach Hotel that were always knee deep in pish.

Re strips, have we actually won a competitive game in Saltire strip?

Love the Nike top. 83-84 revisited. Yes please

Come on Liam, you know what folk mean. We lost enough of our identity after moving from old Bayview. I think the identity of a strip is important to players application as well. I really believe Scotland lost out on Euro 2008 through wearing that disgusting, WTF?, Never Seen Before (or since), maroon strip in Georgia. And LIVERPOOL playing in all sorts of alien colours affected them i reckon. Ive no idea what the finances behind a 'branded strip' are, but i do know what most folk feel best seeing East Fife play in.

Young Fifer

the three tops above this one is jacket no where near a £38.50 to be sold at the club shop if it was brought out but the one with the sponser of Miele and the first one yeah or Hummel what about their kits, i like their style when we had them.

The Nike one is perfect. Proper gold too (as is the Adidas, Erra and Puma)

Nike then Puma, perfect.

The Nike one is great, looks a bit old school too similar to what we wore in the early 80's. Just add white shorts and we're sorted.

Would love to see German brand Do You Football make our kits. Some proper funky designs as well as more traditional kits. Worth a look. Anything but Joma or 1903.
Now that we have a JD Sports in Glenrothes, I wonder what the chances of getting a deal with them are, like what St. Mirren etc have. Bespoke Diadora/ Fila kits are decent quality and look good.

Mad Man
The Just add white shorts and we're sorted.

Jeezo, give it a rest!

It's not difficult.
Home - Black and gold Stripes, White shorts and black stockings with gold tops.
Away - White jerseys (with black or gold trim), black shorts and white stockings (with black tops?).Flashes on either of the shorts could be in gold.

There would be minimal danger of clashing with any other team by combining aspects of these two strips in response to what the opposition were due to wear. I remember East Fife changing to shorts that did not clash with the opposition at home during the "Moffat era".

Umbro

didn't James T Kirk wear this in Star Trek??

I think it was Jean-Luc Picard, who would have looked loads cooler in white shorts instead of those silly black leggings. Kirk wore the classic 60's no nonsense top as did Sulu and Chekov, not I'm a sad Trekky or anything.

How about a 3rd strip that is a replica of the one worn when we won the Scottish cup? We keep it sponsor free and only wear it in cup games.

Adidas

I fink billy b was once the regional sales dude for Adidas so he may be able to make it so.

Most of the above kits are yellow. East Fife's colours are black and GOLD. This season's home strip might not be to everyone's liking but at least the primary colours are right.

Adidas

This with white shorts would be smart as fuck. Would be one of the best kits I've seen in Scotland.

Love that strip.

Also love Noisy Crossbar's idea of having a sponsor free one for Cup games.

Here's another radical idea - choose a black & gold striped shirt, and wear it every time we play, apart from when there is a clash of colours. The sight of the colours gets us all going, it's part of the buzz we get as kick-off approaches, or when the players come out for the second half. It's why we wear scarves, hats, replica shirts, anything we can get our hands on in fact as long as it is black and gold. Every time we appear in a red strip or a blue one, for no reason, my heart sinks. That's not East Fife. Where's the pride?
The clown who was commentating for the radio at Rangers v Berwick Rangers on Saturday said at one stage "East Fife have scored twice but they had no answer to Rangers' four goals". For Christ sake, Berwick look more like East Fife than East Fife do!

Sorry, but white shorts just look cheap and like a pair of boxers - don't go with black and gold - need to be black with gold stripe down sides.

I've always thought white shorts with black and coloured striped top looked really smart. Milan and Inter kits when they wear the white shorts look amazing. We've got a great traditional kit design but we seem to want to wear anything but it. It is really frustrating. I'm all for changing things around from time to time but to very rarely ever go back to the traditional kit is pretty annoying.

Nike
Young Fifer

This Nike kit is absolutely incredible. It has just that perfect retro/modern combination and with white shorts and black and gold socks it could well be the best East Fife kit we've had for decades. I really hope the board is reading this. Lets make it happen!

Auld Geezer
Sorry, but white shorts just look cheap and like a pair of boxers - don't go with black and gold - need to be black with gold stripe down sides.

White shorts is trad man and no other team in the UK wears such a combo. Not that we should need any other reason mind.

Mad Man
I think it was Jean-Luc Picard, who would have looked loads cooler in white shorts instead of those silly black leggings. Kirk wore the classic 60's no nonsense top as did Sulu and Chekov, not I'm a sad Trekky or anything.

Q: Why was the wifey in Star Trek no very happy?
A: coz William Shatner.

Noisy crossbar
Mad Man

Q: Why was the wifey in Star Trek no very happy?
A: coz William Shatner.

Come on guys, where's the love? Surely this is the best joke on AFTN this year.

Bob Agg
Adidas

This with white shorts would be smart as fuck. Would be one of the best kits I've seen in Scotland.

Sorry guys, but this one does my head in . . . the stripes look blurred! It's very similar to (maybe even the same as) the jersey worn by one of our youth teams.

Jim Corstorphine
Bob Agg
Adidas

Sorry guys, but this one does my head in . . . the stripes look blurred! It's very similar to (maybe even the same as) the jersey worn by one of our youth teams.