Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
line up v forfar / latest score

1-antell,2-durie,3-mccormack,4-campbell,5-johnstone,6-muir,7-sloan,8-pollock
9-samuel,10-willis,11-jamieson
subs 12-forster,14-brown,15-gormley,16-wardlaw,21-collier

forfar 1-2 e.fife stoney,willis

D.Mccormack sent off

Re: line up v forfar / latest score

Ht 1-2, officials absolute joke, Fife hanging on now

3-2down keeper error for the equalizer, team struggling now. Ref is a joke

Dropping Durie and Antell IS A MUST!!!!!

whats the story with mcmanus? thats half the season hes been missing,could do with him back getting goals. anybody got any gen on whats going on ?

2.0 up and doing fine, then piss poor defending from McCormack cost us the game. It was a foul and he deserved to go, it was about the only decision the Ref got right all game. When we went a man down Forfar were much the better team and fully deserved the 3 points and it could and should have been more than 3.2. Thought we were poor today and missed Barr and Mcbride. If Michael Brown is fit then he must start in goals on Wed. It was always going to be hard when we went a man down but Forfar played some really good football and made us look poor. Oh well, Arbroath on Wed and hopefully we will have Barr and Mcbride back. Nice to see a very good away support.

3, Div Muir
2, Stoney
1, Away support

Should have blown forfar away.

McCormack got himself sent off and that changed the game.

Some good performances except antell, wardlaw, durie.

A game we should have won.

Good start from the Fife with Stoney bending the ball with his right foot into the far corner from the edge of the box to put us one up. Willis then found himself free about the penalty spot to send a looping back header, from a fine Muir chip, over the keeper to make it 2-0. At that stage we looked comfortable and were creating going forward. The game changer happened when McCormack hesitated as the ball bounced towards his own goal. The Forfar player nipped in front of him as he went to play the ball and legs got tangled - penalty kick and a straight Red Card. Campbell coolly slept Antell the wrong way to make it 2-1.
The Fife held them at bay for a while in the second half without really threatening going forward. A nice move by Forfar saw the ball laid into the path of the left winger who hit a shot straight at Antell who only proceeded to palm the ball up in the air over his head and into the net. The third goal followed a couple of minutes later and it looked like we could have got a hammering but we dug in and Billy Brown was fairly adventurous as we played with three strikers near the end forcing a few corners but never really testing the keeper.
The Referee had a shocker, with so many pushes etc going unpunished but players were booked for winning 50/50 challenges - Stoney. The McCormack red card was probably the correct decision.
The lengthy injury list didn't help our cause today with Brown, McManus, Smith, White, Barr and McBride all missing. McCormack came straight back in after injury and had he been fully match fit I'm sure he would have cleared the ball rather than hesitating and giving away the penalty. Wardlaw was thrown into the action despite not having played for 6-7 weeks.
Hopefully, the Arbroath game will see some of the injured players available again. If Brown is fit he should get a start as Antell does not command his area and there seemed to be a lack of communication at times today, plus the second goal was avoidable. We missed Barr big time today and McBride would have helped too. Hopefully Billy Brown may be able to wheel and deal a little in January as there are still one or two players who seem to automatically get a start as there is no one in the wings to put them under pressure for the shirt.
The league is so tight that three wins can get you right in the mix at the top but three defeats sees you drawn back to the wrong end of the table. Hopefully we can win the next three and push at the top end.

Not there today, but a lot of fans themselves saying that Antell made another horrendous error. A good shot stopper but appears to be very error prone. From the top of my head there was Gemmells shot from half way line, today and a few weeks ago when he made a clanger. Doesn't command his box very well. Would much rather have broony in the first team.

McCormack probably a bit rusty being his first game back, however his consistency is key to us, and have rated him quite highly since he's played for us.

Think we could really do with a left + right back, and another winger.. maybe even another striker when the window opens. Got a lot of faith in BB. Hope he delivers.

joe coyne
whats the story with mcmanus? thats half the season hes been missing,could do with him back getting goals. anybody got any gen on whats going on ?
We will be lucky to have him back this season. The joys of signing an injured player.......

DPH
joe coyne
We will be lucky to have him back this season. The joys of signing an injured player.......

The buck stops with he the club physio he is the one who deals with new players and checks them over and from what I'm led to believe McManus told the club he was injured but was told he would be fit for new season . He missed pre season games and was thrown in to the Team due to not enough strikers at the club even though he has been carrying the injury all season. The club have taken too long for him to get fit and it looks like he will be out for remainder of the season.

Am a bit fed up driving long distances to watch the young keeper give away soft goals.

He was flapping all afternoon.

Come on effc you can't expect us to put up with this.

We need our own players or loanees who much better than we have...

Thought the team fought hard but we never really looked like scoring after going behind.Slack play cost the penalty and sending off.We badly missed White,McBride and Barr.

Well the ups and downs of football , we were shocking 2nd half and ok 1st half and did well up till we had man sent off. The ref was shocking whole game and it killed it for both teams at times. We need to win Wednesday to keep us in good shape. Our strikers today were shocking and very lazy and we still couldn't get in behind the Forfar defence who may I add very slow. Hope the manager gets McManus back in the team quick if fit because we miss him getting in behind defences and bringing our midfielders into play. Hope we win our next game and get our better players back. Well done to wee Johnston and David muir they both played very well.

If Broony is not fit can Billy Brown not have a word with Craig Gordon and get him in short term to stabilise our defence. Some of the goals we are losing are really soft and I think a lack of communication and confidence in the goalkeeper is part of the problem.

Bayviewboy
Good start from the Fife with Stoney bending the ball with his right foot into the far corner from the edge of the box to put us one up. Willis then found himself free about the penalty spot to send a looping back header, from a fine Muir chip, over the keeper to make it 2-0. At that stage we looked comfortable and were creating going forward. The game changer happened when McCormack hesitated as the ball bounced towards his own goal. The Forfar player nipped in front of him as he went to play the ball and legs got tangled - penalty kick and a straight Red Card. Campbell coolly slept Antell the wrong way to make it 2-1.
The Fife held them at bay for a while in the second half without really threatening going forward. A nice move by Forfar saw the ball laid into the path of the left winger who hit a shot straight at Antell who only proceeded to palm the ball up in the air over his head and into the net. The third goal followed a couple of minutes later and it looked like we could have got a hammering but we dug in and Billy Brown was fairly adventurous as we played with three strikers near the end forcing a few corners but never really testing the keeper.
The Referee had a shocker, with so many pushes etc going unpunished but players were booked for winning 50/50 challenges - Stoney. The McCormack red card was probably the correct decision.
The lengthy injury list didn't help our cause today with Brown, McManus, Smith, White, Barr and McBride all missing. McCormack came straight back in after injury and had he been fully match fit I'm sure he would have cleared the ball rather than hesitating and giving away the penalty. Wardlaw was thrown into the action despite not having played for 6-7 weeks.
Hopefully, the Arbroath game will see some of the injured players available again. If Brown is fit he should get a start as Antell does not command his area and there seemed to be a lack of communication at times today, plus the second goal was avoidable. We missed Barr big time today and McBride would have helped too. Hopefully Billy Brown may be able to wheel and deal a little in January as there are still one or two players who seem to automatically get a start as there is no one in the wings to put them under pressure for the shirt.
The league is so tight that three wins can get you right in the mix at the top but three defeats sees you drawn back to the wrong end of the table. Hopefully we can win the next three and push at the top end.

A well balanced account of the game - spot on.

We scored two quick first half goals today...but after that the red card to McCormack change the game into forfar hands and we struggled like we have been this season been truthful...I see from that line up there was no darren smith or david white there...our defence has been very weak all season though and durie is our best right back we have got at the club. Surely Antell's loan will expire in a couple of days to see broony back between the sticks...hopefully BB will get to sell and buy when January comes. This game i thought we would of got something from but left with nothing, sadly. Roll on wednesday if we can pick up points because ayr, stenny and the bottom two arent too far behind us.
Is Craig Gordon fit? not herd of him much after he left sunderland how did samuel play today? wonder if he can break his goal drought sooner rather than later to get his confidence in him again

Collin Samuel . .. last week he was my man of the match . . today he was never in the game.

Jim Corstorphine
Collin Samuel . .. last week he was my man of the match . . today he was never in the game.

Agree with that assessment Jim, but he was never going to win many headers against the taller Forfar defenders (Sean Jamieson didn't win many either !) especially after the sending off we resorted to lumping the ball up the park to no one in particular. Last week, Samuel was excellent at holding the ball up and bringing players into the game, but to do this he must get good service with the ball on the deck. Hopefully he gets a goal at Arbroath on Wednesday and can go on to show his quality consistently.

Bayviewboy
Jim Corstorphine

Agree with that assessment Jim, but he was never going to win many headers against the taller Forfar defenders (Sean Jamieson didn't win many either !) especially after the sending off we resorted to lumping the ball up the park to no one in particular. Last week, Samuel was excellent at holding the ball up and bringing players into the game, but to do this he must get good service with the ball on the deck. Hopefully he gets a goal at Arbroath on Wednesday and can go on to show his quality consistently.

Yes there was a lot of long high balls but every time our defence and midfield got the ball our strikers were hiding away from a pass and that killed how we should have played the game. I would get rid of wardlaw,Willis ,the Hibernian boys and replace them with better players who have good experience of this division and also a leader who can guide the young ones

Big Bob
DPH
joe coyne

The buck stops with he the club physio he is the one who deals with new players and checks them over and from what I'm led to believe McManus told the club he was injured but was told he would be fit for new season . He missed pre season games and was thrown in to the Team due to not enough strikers at the club even though he has been carrying the injury all season. The club have taken too long for him to get fit and it looks like he will be out for remainder of the season.

Way out of order to blame our Physio ( unless you know something the rest of us don't)

The vast majority of our fans welcomed Paul back - he's got an injury that's taking longer to heal that first thought- happens all the time at every club- what basis do you have to blame Brian & his team?

Seen him at work with the youngsters -saved my step sn from long term injury. Gives up a lot of his time( and I'm led to believe his own money at times) for the club.

We should be grateful we have such a dedicated professional rather than casting false accusations at him

BB if you have info to the contrary I'm sure we'd all like to hear it

Fifer 11
Big Bob
DPH
joe coyne

Way out of order to blame our Physio ( unless you know something the rest of us don't)

The vast majority of our fans welcomed Paul back - he's got an injury that's taking longer to heal that first thought- happens all the time at every club- what basis do you have to blame Brian & his team?

Seen him at work with the youngsters -saved my step sn from long term injury. Gives up a lot of his time( and I'm led to believe his own money at times) for the club.

We should be grateful we have such a dedicated professional rather than casting false accusations at him

Hi Brian

Pat
Fifer 11
Big Bob
DPH
joe coyne

I spoke to shagger up in the bar at the stenny game and I asked him how long till he is back and he was optimistic that he will hopefully be back training next week. He said the injury has been seen by billy browns contacts and that they had got to the bottom of the matter because he has had it all year. He did say the club had sent him for ex ray a while back and found out he had a torn ligament but it hadn't healed the way it should have and this is what has kept out. He said he can't wait to get back to the form he showed last season and is looking forward to be playing under the new manager. This shows that our physio has done everything to get him back playing but it has just not worked out the way everyone hoped. Once we get all our players back we will stand a good chance of a play off position.
Hi Brian

Pat, you are truly an erse