Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Darren McCormack

Seems to be having a constant pop at the East Fife fans on twitter. While i agree that if your going to dish it out you should be willing to take it back but i find it pretty disrespectful and its giving the good fans of East Fife a bad name.

No one wants another statement in the programme like last year. So lets just remember that were a big family here at East Fife and like most families, we have our fair share of fuds.

Stick together and move forward to possitive things in 2013.

Re: Darren McCormack

Have seen his tweets as well. He implies that many fans are clueless about the game and they want East Fife to lump the ball forward rather than keeping possession by playing it across the back and building from there. I'm happy for us to build from the back rather than lumping the ball aimlessly forward but how often yesterday and in recent games have they played the ball along the back ending with it being lumped forward or passing the ball back to Antell to lump up the park ! We need to get the ball forward quicker as was shown with the second goal yesterday when three passes down the right created the chance for Samuel to score. I'm sure most fans don't want the ball lumped forward as we don't have the target players to play that way - just ask Marvin Andrews !!! The recent game against Stranraer was an example of us passing the ball to death in the middle of the park, allowing them to get behind the ball, before the incisive forward pass was attempted.
We can only build from the back if the wingers and midfield players show for the ball and create the space to receive the ball. If opponents mark them tightly we inevitably punt the ball up the park. Given the choice of playing the ball across the back before a defender or goalkeeper lumps it up the park, or lumping it early, surely the latter is the better option as opponents have less time to get organised.
Fans help to pay the wages of the players and are entitled to their opinion even though some of them may have a limited appreciation of how the game should be played. At the same time, players are playing at this level for a reason, and whilst fans must also appreciate this, players must also acknowledge that they make mistakes on the park - MCormack got needlessly sent off at Forfar when he could have cleared the ball out the park but hesitated and ended up getting sent off and conceding a penalty which changed the game. No one that I'm aware of took to Social media to slag him of for his poor decision making.
The fans and players need to work together to achieve the best possible outcome this season and its not helpful when either party are slagging off the other.

McCormack is a prize fud and going by his twitter past few months has the mental age of a 16 year old.

I follow Daz on twitter and enjoy his banter. Can't see anything that anyone can possibly take offence at. There are a few fuds at every club that want the ball punted at every opportunity. Daz just posted his feelings on the matter and I would agree with him. Some folk are too easily offended.

I had a look at what he posted - seems fair enough and pretty tame IMO. What's the problem 'specifically' with what he wrote?

Shows what McCormack knows. Have a look at Giggs pass to Van Persie! Think that could be classed as lumping it forward. It's always an option. Yesterday it wasn't the way to go as they had big Marvin at the back he did well and I tell you what we could do with that sort of experience in our team.

It is probably something to do with the standard of McCormack's own performance yesterday. He was poor.

Hahahaha this thread is a no go! Give it a rest!

He was saying about how some supporters are giving him stick for punting the ball under pressure, which is fair enough you're always going to get some supporters who are not happy. But that's the thing, there has never been, and never will be a set of supporters who are all 100% happy with the club, yet he seems to think that. He's the only player of the team to take to twitter to complain about is as well, and he's done it a few times. Needs sometime to mature if I'm honest.

Mountains and mole hills spring to mind.

I thought on saturday darren mccormack was taking a slagging from certain fans.It brought back memories of the day bobby linn got involved with some supporters.Funnily enough the slagging was coming from about the same area as then.

I once spoke to Bertie Millar about the BAyview crowd and he said it was as bad in his day with foul mouthed abuse from a small minority to their own players. It seems the wide players get it worst. Remember Chris Millar (left back) he used to get pelters and I stand by my view that he was a decent player for the level he was playing at.Bobby Linn in same boat, he could hear it clear as day down the right.

There is a guy near where I sit that regularly tells East Fife players and managers to fuck off, that they're shite etc etc and has done for years yet rarely if ever says a peep about the opposition.
The negative Methil mentality is a bad combination with small man syndrome I fear.

On the original post , why not reply to Darrens tweet and tell him you dont like what he said. That in theory is the plus side of social networks like twitter, that we can connect with folk that would normally be out with our sphere of connections. Im sure his reply would be worth hearing.

On the size of our away support I think this is partly due to the fact that any away trip is infinitely more enjoyable than the home matchday experience , not least because the few moaning fuds that McCormack is talking about dont tend to go to away games.