Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Final Score

East Fife 3 Ayr 3

Re: Final Score

Nearly 2 hours after the game ended and no posts up about the game. The moaners and groaners must be having a snooze, very unlike them not to havecommented.

So can/will anybody enlighten us exiles on how the game went ?

Interesting pattern to the game with us 2-0 down pretty quickly then coming back to lead 3-2 at half time.

We have several injured players including basically an entire midfield but having said that we did not play particularly well.

A draw was perhaps a reasonable result bearing mind we lost two early goals - and that kind of spirit is something that's become a characteristic of Billy Brown's team.

Mind you, Ayr missed a complete sitter right at the end so I guess we'll take the point and hope we play better next week.

we r drawing to many games need to start turninf draws in to wins or we could find ourselfs in relegation troublke didnt play well today and could of lost it at the end

Eugene Clarke
Interesting pattern to the game with us 2-0 down pretty quickly then coming back to lead 3-2 at half time.

We have several injured players including basically an entire midfield but having said that we did not play particularly well.

A draw was perhaps a reasonable result bearing mind we lost two early goals - and that kind of spirit is something that's become a characteristic of Billy Brown's team.

Mind you, Ayr missed a complete sitter right at the end so I guess we'll take the point and hope we play better next week.

Agree with this. I was fairly disappointed with our second half performance. It wasn't much worse than our first but we didnt look like we wanted to score another one. Ayr's equaliser always looked likely.

Both teams toiled today 6 goals but not the greatest of games

With so many players missing and others on the pitch not playing to great then it was a good point against a very good Ayr team. Thank goodness their forward missed with the final attack of the game.
3pts out of the last 9 might not sound too great but i think their hard,well earned points.
Thought Mcmanus was superb today and his 1st goal was a fantastic finish.

Well done lads,good to see the team playing for the jersey and not giving up in games.

Really strange game today. First thoughts when seeing who were missing today (Willis,Samuel, Smith, Muir and Pollock) I felt we might struggle in the middle of the park. This proved to be the case early doors as Ayr enjoyed a fair amount of possession and switching play at will. Moffat cut inside from the left and hit a low shot past Antell. Too many passes were going astray and at times players didn't want to take responsibility and would pass the buck. After a few half hearted challenges around our own box, the ball found McAusland who curled the ball into the top left corner. At this stage it looked as though it was going to be a damage limitation job as the players seemed to be lacking in confidence. The game changed when Jamieson flicked on a corner at the near post and White had the simple task of nodding home from close range. Barr and McManus broke upfield but the pass was a bit too hard forcing McManus wide and the chance was gone. A couple of minutes later though he made amends when he ran onto a through ball and fired low into the bottom corner. 2-2 and not playing particularly well. Just before halftime McManus pounced on a loose ball about 6 yards out and buried the ball to make it 3-2 at half time.
Jamieson had a great chance to extend the lead a couple of minutes into the second half. Instead of shooting first time he decided to turn inside but the shot was blocked. Bobby Barr who had a quiet game burst into life going past 4 Ayr players before firing past the post from the edge of the box. After this we seemed to tire and sat deeper and deeper, giving Ayr a lot of possession and it was no real surprise when their trialist curled the ball from the edge of the box into the top right hand corner. With seconds remaining Ayr should have won it when a low ball from the right was missed by a few players only to be met by the left winger who somehow dragged the ball wide. 3-3 was probably a fair result.
Not a great performance but a welcome and after 20 minutes, highly unlikely point. With the injuries today we were struggling for a squad, with Bob Malcolm and two youth players on the bench. One or two players seem to lack the desire and determination to win 50-50 challenges which you really need when the squad is down to the bare bones - maybe they think they will get their game anyway as there's nobody else. This is maybe where we are still a little thin on the ground with one or two positions lacking competition for places. Still feel we lack a real leader, motivator and organiser on the park and thats what the Manager should be looking for before the transfer window closes.On the positive side having McManus back has been like a new signing and he is looking fit and eager to prove his worth again. I really hope that those players missing today are fit for next week at Stranraer as we are due them one after their smash and grab act at Bayview in December. Samuel and McManus are one of the best strike pairings in the League but need games to let them gel - hopefully they are reunited next week.
Interesting rumour that Bobby Linn would welcome a return to Bayview as the problems at Ballingry appear to mount. Barr on one side, Linn on the other with Samuel and McManus up front would be interesting - we certainly wouldn't lack a goal threat ! Would be quite happy to see him back at Bayview - over to you Mr Brown !

Yes . would like the Boabby back.

A draw was probably a fair result, we started very slowly but eventually found our feet. We missed Smith and Samuel today.

I thought Stoney was outstanding today, probably the best performance I have saw from him.

Both defences were crap but having said that I will contradict myself by saying Stonie was outstanding today.Sloany on the other had was way off the pace worst game Ive seen from him since the Rovers away game.

Well it feels disappointing when were are 3-2 and can't finish the game off. We were shocking the day and at times looked like we would get beat by 6 or 7 the day but as everyone says we're short in numbers. Sloan was shocking but to be fair hasn't played much so will be unfit. We showed great character to come back from 2 down and great finishing from McManus who for me was our best player by a mile I thought we would go on to win the game. We need our big players back for a tough game next week and we need to win this one to stay intouch of play offs

0 2 down after 20 minutes (ish)...
The positives are we didn't crumble and fought to get back into the game. Not the best football we've played this season but coming back to 3 2 at ht was a bonus.
2nd half started well and could have, maybe should have been up 4 2 and controlling the game. Whilst it remained 3 2 always gave Ayr the incentive to go for it.
Draw was about right.

sorry, but I thought Jamieson bottled out of a challenge and that is totally unacceptable!!

With the team we had at the start, it was a pretty positive effort from the players today. Started off very slowly and were completely over-run by Ayr and after this you thought this could be a 5-0 humping After that Sloan and Campbell and SLoan got to grips with the game and then thankfully Ayr's terrible defence let us in for an undeserved 3-2 lead at HT.
2nd half and we should have put the game to bed with Jamieson spurning a great chance straght from the kick off and we dominated the early part of the first half.

Sloan is very tirted and will take time

Wow, was pished when I wrote that!! Even I don't know what I meant by Sloan being tirted!!

Lol
Were both Sloans tirted? :-)

It's funny coz I can't think for the life of me what I was trying to write!!

Fat Doug
It's funny coz I can't think for the life of me what I was trying to write!!

Happens to me too. Often I start a sentence and

Must be a common thing when you reach a certain age, with me i start writing a sentence and ti smees ot emoc tuo sdrowkcab desu ot kniht I dah emos tros fo redrosid. tcefrep redro sknihtem. mmm!!