Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
East Fife vs Forfar Athletic

With both defences having been in 'charitable mood' recently, dare we hope for a 5:4 home win?

Re: East Fife vs Forfar Athletic

0-1 at halftime. Fife look good going forward, but forfar defence less charitable than expected. Seemingly no end to our famous fife hospitality and generosity.

Hope for a better second half.

1-2 final. Thought we played nice football, but forfar much better at winning the ball.

thought 2 1 flattered us we were pish. tryin to play football from the back all the time when the spaces werent there. too many players losing the ball and then stopping. lack of passion not seen since the craw days. too many players who have played at a higher level just not doing the basics which is totally unacceptable. we have players who know they will play every week and it shows

We really have plummeted to new depths. Biggest waste of £13 i can think of.
Piss poor football from a piss poor team. Shite in defense, shite in midfield and not a shot on target says all about what little we have up front.
Done with football. Wont be back.
After 40 years of following East Fife I've done my bit but enough is enough.

Brutal
Piss poor football from a piss poor team. Shite in defense, shite in midfield and not a shot on target says all about what little we have up front.

Good... Fuck off then!

Jeez!
Brutal

Good... Fuck off then!

jeez, you are a Tit.

Jeez!
Brutal

Good... Fuck off then!

40 years eh? Well can't say I blame you. Hopefully you'll come back when we improve.

There Jeez sorted that for you,

Thought the atmosphere even though it lacks at Bayview mostly should have been a bit of encourage and singing like we do at home, The referee was Mr Charleston and with seen him in charge of the game when i saw todays team sheet i thought we are going to see hopeless decisions like we saw today and it showed when their surprise number nine should of gone in the first half on the challange with Stoney which he was going for the player not the ball and when a player does that in any game they should get what they get but not today by the worst referee in Scotland it had to be said. We had a few chances but not any to test their keeper Hill who has been around a few clubs now since his dogey drug ban a few years ago at Falkirk.
The next weekend game with Stenny will be a hard task with this show we saw today, we need to take our chances more and put them away often.

The roots of this poor season can be traced to last summer when we failed to recruit enough quality players to replace those that had gone. Last minute signings of players who were not of 2nd division standard was compounded by getting in a batch of loanees who were also not good enough and really didn't want to be at the club either. I don't know if this was Gordon Durie's fault or whether his hands were tied by the Board. Either way ultimate responsibility surely rests with the Chairman as he sets the tone and direction for the club, controls the purse strings and so on. We may survive in this league, we may not, but something has to change otherwise what few fans we have left will be gone. And when you stop going to matches it becomes dead easy to stay away and find excuses not to go.

So for those who have decided to pack it in I really can't blame you. What is the point? After all if there is no hope that things will improve then why bother.

Both teams were piss poor,but forfar at least had something that resembles a defence.Templeman will never get an easier game in his life.Mcormack gave him an easy time all afternoon.Forfar did their home work and pressed us high up the park, as we tried to play out from the back,ending up going backwards.Only player for east fife who came close to a decent game was campbell.Both goals so easily avoidable templeman turning mcormack far to easily for the first,and antell not commanding his 6 yard box for the 2nd from a corner.Gormley put in more effort in 10 minutes than some players put in for 90.Next few games dont get any easier, and with performances like that, i cant see us gathering enough points to stay out of trouble.Smith and muir looked rusty if match fit at all.

Try to find the positives but that was really bad today. Only Billy Brown on the touch lines, Barr & Darren Smith showed any real passion for the fight.

Dont think well get sucked into relegation fight but mid table again looks inevitable.
I would like to see BB get tied up on a long contract and starting to build his own team.

Personal view is that defensively we have gone backwards since Broony lost his place. Cant see how we are benefiting from Antells loan. He is obviously getting 1st team experience and hopefully learning from his mistakes which is good for Hibs.

The Billy Brown revival didnt last long! Players not good enough and sadly Billy has had to work with most who he inherited. The problem was at the start of the season, not bringing in players to improve the side. 1 win in 8 games and that was against Albion Rovers is a worry. Next 3 games(away to stenny,Brecin,home to Qos) will decide the rest of our season if its top half or a fight at the bottom

That was utter shite today,no player deserves any merit for that.Complete lack of ideas and more worryingly fight.Too many players just simply not good enough,no drive in the team,no leadership on the park,all teams look fitter and quicker than us,our midfield is so slow i'd think half the crowd could get about the park quicker.

?
That was utter shite today,no player deserves any merit for that.Complete lack of ideas and more worryingly fight.Too many players just simply not good enough,no drive in the team,no leadership on the park,all teams look fitter and quicker than us,our midfield is so slow i'd think half the crowd could get about the park quicker.

I think your being unfair on the players when your saying half the crowd could get up the park quicker,although Zak going for the pies would beat all of them for speed!!

Well that was really poor and summed up by a Director at the end of the game when he stated about the players ' they are doing the same they have done to the last three Managers' There is a real lack of commitment from a number of players. I feel Billy Brown can be a decent Manager for East Fife, but still feel he has a lot to prove. He stated in the East Fife Mail that Dale Keenan was the only player he went after in the Transfer window. If that is the case, it would suggest that he is satisfied with the size, balance and quality of the squad he has. If Keenan is a left back, then that helps to cover Stoney. If Keenan is more of a left midfielder then is that an area we needed to strengthen ? I don't think it should have been a priority as we already have McBride, Willis, Barr, Sloan & Stoney who have all played there.
Surely right back and central defence are areas we needed to strengthen - you only have to look at the number of goals we are losing and also the manner in which they were lost. Scott Durie has been poor the last couple of months and looks as if he is lacking in confidence. He would probably benefit from a spell on the bench or in the stand, but we have no cover at right back so he plays week in week out. Bob Malcolm on the bench again today - is he fit to play or not ? did we have no other fit players or was he the only defensive cover ? if he is fit to play, why is he not being used to try to solve our defensive frailties ? Iif hes not fully fit why was Jamieson not on the bench ? Any defensive injury could have been covered by Div Muir. We don't have a dominant Centre Half who will lead by example and motivate others around him. I believe that money was made available to the Manager but he chose not to use it - hopefully it's so that he can save the money to put together a decent squad for next season and not that he feels the squad is good enough.
Does anyone know if its in the loan players contracts that they must play if fit, or is it a gentlemans agreement or does the Manager feel they deserve a shirt week in,week out ? Antell has made some good saves, a few howlers and doesn't really command his area - this surely doesn't help install confidence in the defenders in front of him. To me Broony deserves his chance as he was one of our best players before he was injured. Paul Willis flatters to deceive at times and doesn't show the desire and commitment that this team requires to get out of the mess we are in at present. As was mentioned in another thread we don't need players who are great when opponents stand off them letting them knock the ball about, playing good football. At this moment in time we need players who will battle for every ball, not shirk challenges and work their socks off for the cause. Too many players can be seen jogging back into position after the ball has been lost. Darren Smith and Div Muir give the sort of dig that we need, but that needs to be given by every player, not the odd one or two. If not, we will continue to be bullied out of games and it could end up that League reconstruction is the only thing that will save us from the drop.
The next three games are all difficult but especially with the low confidence being witnessed.

I agree that any one at that match today would have seen a lack of fight and desire in certain players.Dont like to name players but any east fife fan who was there today will know which players i mean.Now if this goes down to a relagation battle,i sure as hell dont fancy these guys to fight for our cause.We looked like we were just getting on top, when our old defensive frailties came back to haunt us,no way should templeman been allowed that time and space to despatch his shot,but the ball should never have got across the box in the first place.Goals change games ,and at no time did we ever look like getting back into the game.2nd goal was poor the keeper has to get something on that cross as the ball was in the air a while.Forfar are no mugs and had a good shape defending their line well.Swankie gave our frail defence a torrid time all day.We will continue to struggle unless we learn the ugly side of the game.We must work harder when we dont have the ball, and get in the oppositions faces,yes we would all like to see barcelona type football,but if we worked as hard as they do when they dont have the ball that would be a start.

Couldn`t believe anyone could applaud that lot off the park today. Total crap and this team won`t have the guts or bottle for a relegation scrap.
I was hoping for a reaction to last weeks shambles but yet again it doesn't happen.

Piss poor stuff. One win in eight and that as a flukey, undeserved win against Albion Rovers. Apart for three players, I would punt the rest.

Bayviewboy
Well that was really poor and summed up by a Director at the end of the game when he stated about the players ' they are doing the same they have done to the last three Managers' There is a real lack of commitment from a number of players. I feel Billy Brown can be a decent Manager for East Fife, but still feel he has a lot to prove. He stated in the East Fife Mail that Dale Keenan was the only player he went after in the Transfer window. If that is the case, it would suggest that he is satisfied with the size, balance and quality of the squad he has. If Keenan is a left back, then that helps to cover Stoney. If Keenan is more of a left midfielder then is that an area we needed to strengthen ? I don't think it should have been a priority as we already have McBride, Willis, Barr, Sloan & Stoney who have all played there.
Surely right back and central defence are areas we needed to strengthen - you only have to look at the number of goals we are losing and also the manner in which they were lost. Scott Durie has been poor the last couple of months and looks as if he is lacking in confidence. He would probably benefit from a spell on the bench or in the stand, but we have no cover at right back so he plays week in week out. Bob Malcolm on the bench again today - is he fit to play or not ? did we have no other fit players or was he the only defensive cover ? if he is fit to play, why is he not being used to try to solve our defensive frailties ? Iif hes not fully fit why was Jamieson not on the bench ? Any defensive injury could have been covered by Div Muir. We don't have a dominant Centre Half who will lead by example and motivate others around him. I believe that money was made available to the Manager but he chose not to use it - hopefully it's so that he can save the money to put together a decent squad for next season and not that he feels the squad is good enough.
Does anyone know if its in the loan players contracts that they must play if fit, or is it a gentlemans agreement or does the Manager feel they deserve a shirt week in,week out ? Antell has made some good saves, a few howlers and doesn't really command his area - this surely doesn't help install confidence in the defenders in front of him. To me Broony deserves his chance as he was one of our best players before he was injured. Paul Willis flatters to deceive at times and doesn't show the desire and commitment that this team requires to get out of the mess we are in at present. As was mentioned in another thread we don't need players who are great when opponents stand off them letting them knock the ball about, playing good football. At this moment in time we need players who will battle for every ball, not shirk challenges and work their socks off for the cause. Too many players can be seen jogging back into position after the ball has been lost. Darren Smith and Div Muir give the sort of dig that we need, but that needs to be given by every player, not the odd one or two. If not, we will continue to be bullied out of games and it could end up that League reconstruction is the only thing that will save us from the drop.
The next three games are all difficult but especially with the low confidence being witnessed.

Paragraphs please ? My eyes are bleeding

There are actually three paragraphs in the post but I suppose your eyes were bleeding after watching that performance today so your eyesight may be a bit blurry anyway !!!!

Bayviewboy
There are actually three paragraphs in the post but I suppose your eyes were bleeding after watching that performance today so your eyesight may be a bit blurry anyway !!!!

Aye mate , not to good today Things WILL GET BETTER THO !!!!!!!! I hope

Bayviewboy

I don`t think Mr 305 is the brightest tbh.

I'm finished as well. What with watching that crap today and this stupid league reconstruction I won't be back.
Finished with Scottish football.

Strange
Bayviewboy

I don`t think Mr 305 is the brightest tbh.

just a fan , without an education ? but paragraphs must have changed . in my day's

Sparky
Dont think well get sucked into relegation fight

You dont think?

I wouldn`t be too sure of that.Second bottom is a distinct possibility

ex fan
I'm finished as well. What with watching that crap today and this stupid league reconstruction I won't be back.
Finished with Scottish football.

Thats no going to happen no word of it happened since after christmas it will have to take time but no right now it will no be in place next season the board of the SFA and SFL will need a miracle to make this happen for next season.
They dont even no what is the best leauge system to have for it aswell, so it alot of p**h and talk the now.

What annoys me is they say that 2 leagues of 21 would mean too many meaningless games (fair enough) but then propose a 12-12-18 structure.......Wait a minute,so it's not ok for the top league to have meaningless games,but it's perfectly ok for the bottom league to have them? And they wonder why people are jacking in going to the fitba!

On the verge
What annoys me is they say that 2 leagues of 21 would mean too many meaningless games (fair enough) but then propose a 12-12-18 structure.......Wait a minute,so it's not ok for the top league to have meaningless games,but it's perfectly ok for the bottom league to have them? And they wonder why people are jacking in going to the fitba!

Yeah correct that would drive those fans from queens park to Stirling away if that happens...so no to a 12-12-18 and Rangers wont want this aswell as they would have to stay in the 3rd division for another season so no doubt the likes of Green and McCoist would moan in papers and tv about this, i would aswell if east fife didnt get promoted. Me i think having a 18 leauge in the bottom leauge would kill it why not extend the SPL as they want more teams to play because there moaning at playing the same teams during a season. Rather see a 18-12-12 system with the likes of Spartans, Cove Rangers, Clydebank etc to being able to get the chance of coming into the football leauge like the blue square leauges down south does it make sense and more interested in the game.

I don't for one minute agree with the 12-12-18 structure being proposed as I think it will be the death knell for a lot of clubs. However, the argument that Rangers won't be happy as they won't get promotion is actually wrong. At present Rangers are in the fourth tier of Scottish Football - 3 promotions away from SPL. With the new structure they would be in the third tier of Scottish Football - 2 promotions away from SPL which is exactly where they will be when they are promoted to Division 2 if there is no League Restructure. They would also play the present Division 2 teams who don't finish in the top two as they would any way. The only difference is they will play them only twice (home and away) as well as playing the teams they have faced this season.
In essence they are not missing out on a promotion if League Reconstruction goes ahead. - let's be honest who cares !!!

£13 to watch that? Fuck that! Scottish fitbaw absolute dire! We are shit and have been for most of my 28yrs.

And according to Billy Brown, that`s the best we have played in weeks!!!!

DPH
£13 to watch that? Fuck that! Scottish fitbaw absolute dire! We are shit and have been for most of my 28yrs.

100% agree.
An absolute disgrace.

The board should look in the mirror and ask the question why they pulled the trigger on john robertson.Since his departure we have went down hill very quickly.At least he had us playing decent attacking football,with a bit of pace in the final 3rd.I dont know what has happend in the last few games,but even going back a few weeks we played decent against brechin,then at alloa we looked like a decent team ,good shape decent football.Think a change of formation needed 442 not working far to easy for opposition to win the midfield battle,our two wide men passengers, no tackles, dont track back when we lose the ball.I would tighten things up in the middle get boys to play in there who are prepared to put in a shift and fight for the cause.Really could be doing with making an emergency signing, to get in a solid centre half who is a leader,and please michael brown back between the sticks.

two goals and one ball
On the verge

Yeah correct that would drive those fans from queens park to Stirling away if that happens...so no to a 12-12-18 and Rangers wont want this aswell as they would have to stay in the 3rd division for another season so no doubt the likes of Green and McCoist would moan in papers and tv about this, i would aswell if east fife didnt get promoted. Me i think having a 18 leauge in the bottom leauge would kill it why not extend the SPL as they want more teams to play because there moaning at playing the same teams during a season. Rather see a 18-12-12 system with the likes of Spartans, Cove Rangers, Clydebank etc to being able to get the chance of coming into the football leauge like the blue square leauges down south does it make sense and more interested in the game.

I don't understand this 'meaningless games' arguement; the original point of setting up a league was for clubs to play regular fixtures against other clubs. People attended the games to watch football being played because thet enjoyed it as a spectacle.

You could argue that having smaller leagues has had the opposite effect on the football being played; losing a couple of games and you are in the relegation zone so teams play a tighter less-risk type of game.

The bottom line is that live football is a form of entertainment; if you think that 90 minutes of this entertainment is worth £13 then spend your money on it.