Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Latest Score

East Fife 1 Stenhousemuir 0 McBride 55 mins.

Re: Latest Score

Now 1-1 B. Hodge scored at 60 min. mark

2-1

Same pish different saterday

Game over.

2-1.

1 win in 9 games,not good enough

Could be second bottom by next home game and we'll get nothing out of the next 2 matches thats for sure. 3rd division here we come. A fucking disgrace. Sack the board and all the players!!!

Just don't understand...We are so poor at the back and yet we made NO changes what so ever during January????

Who's Durie fighting with for the right back position????
Who's Stoney fighting with for the left back position? Robert Sloan? laughable.

Clubs a joke.

I wonder if Billy Brown's hands were tied in January as we'd used up all the money on Bobby Barr's wages. Not looking such a good thing now eh? I'd rather have had a couple of solid proper full backs than an unnecessary luxury like Barr.

Sack the board!

That is all.

Beaten by two great volleyed goals by hodge.A great free kick by mcbride had given us a deserved lead.Played much better today div muir at centre half made us much more solid.Just didnt get the rub of the green boys volleys could have ended up in row z, but as our luck goes they nestled in the bottom corner.

ex fan
Sack the board!

That is all.

Ex Fan why are you interested about the board

Thanks Reporter
Couldn't make it today but much rather take an input from somebody who was there than the sweeping "we are push, all the players are shite" brigade.

Fuxake, we were playing a team below us in the league and still the usual bottlers turn up on the park. This lot will never have the guts to compete in a relegation battle never mind try and get us to a play off place (ha ha!).

This poor excuse of a board need to come out and address the worrying problem on and off the field and the continuing decline in attendances. Is there going to be a takoever? Is there something positive they can tell the fans that will keep them going to games?

That`s me for away games and home games are becoming a total chore.

Sack the board ? What !!. A club that is just about managing to keep it's head above water with very little support or money in the local area, aye sack them and get in who !!!! Alan Sugar, Shake McMoney bags.... Get real They showed a bit of ambition by getting hold of Billy Brown, he was brought in to keep us up. Now if he doesn't have the ability to get some performances out of his team that will be for them to decide what to do with him. Lets leave the sack the board stuff to other teams. OK they may not be the best business men in the world or the best board but it is actually our lads on the park who are letting us down. I hope they are reading this too. I have watched them this season playing well at times, they have the ability but do need to concentrate, put a shift in and work together. If they do that they can beat anyone our league. They have the talent to it if they apply themselves. Billy has to take the bull by the horns and really shake them up. Come on boys you can do it !

Deserved lead from a good McBride free kick. They also had a lucky escape when we should have made it 2-0, but somehow the ball would not go in when we had two shots within as many seconds in front of goal! (That might have actually been after they equalised, I canny mind?)
After that, we seemed to sit on our lead and allowed them control of the midfield, which put pressure on the defence. I don't blame the defence at all for losing the two goals, it was due to them having control of the midfield. In fact, the central defence looked pretty solid with Div in there.

Was there, was shite, was disappointed... Again!... Oh and it wasn't 13 quid to get in it was 12!

BT
Sack the board ? What !!. A club that is just about managing to keep it's head above water with very little support or money in the local area, aye sack them and get in who !!!! Alan Sugar, Shake McMoney bags.... Get real They showed a bit of ambition by getting hold of Billy Brown, he was brought in to keep us up. Now if he doesn't have the ability to get some performances out of his team that will be for them to decide what to do with him. Lets leave the sack the board stuff to other teams. OK they may not be the best business men in the world or the best board but it is actually our lads on the park who are letting us down. I hope they are reading this too. I have watched them this season playing well at times, they have the ability but do need to concentrate, put a shift in and work together. If they do that they can beat anyone our league. They have the talent to it if they apply themselves. Billy has to take the bull by the horns and really shake them up. Come on boys you can do it !

II actually thought Billy was brought in to get us into the promotion play-offs not the relegation ones. Simply staying up in a weak league like this is not much of an achievement really.

Nice try at raising some enthusiasm but we're a shambles on and off the park and unless those at the top can show they have the vision, ambition and drive to succeed then they should frankly piss off somewhere else. So sack the board it is. You don't need to be a moneybags to have a bit of success BT cos they are really rolling in it over at Cowdenbeath aren't they? You just need to be competent. And that is something Sid and his merry men are clearly not.

Agree! All those apologists with the black and gold tinted glasses on should take a reality check.

Decent performance in the first half without creating any real clear cut chances. Good strike from McBride from a free kick to put us 1-0 up. Stenny equalised when the ball wall headered out to the edge of the box and Hodge hit the ball on the half volley low into the bottom corner with Antell unsighted and unable to move before the ball hit the net. The second came when a cross from the right found Hodge unmarked about 10 yards out and he hit the ball into the ground and into the net.
Div handled big Hammerthrower Gemmill very well and he ended up diving all over the place cause he was getting nothing from Div. We were refused a number of free kicks when McManus was getting fouled.
At times we play some decent stuff but confidence is so fragile. When we went behind, we didn't look as though we could get back into the game. Bobby Barr should be a standout at this level but if he continues playing at the present level, I don't think many if any full time clubs would give him a contract for next season. A number of players won't go in where it hurts which means that we are bullied out of games. We also lack leadership on the park.
Billy Brown is probably finding it difficult working with part time players two nights per week rather than every day when he was at a full time club. However he has to take responsibility for the lack of movement in the transfer window. Money was available for him but he chose not to use it - this is fine if the squad he has gives him options and strength in depth. Does the present squad offer this ? I think we all know the answer. When players are playing poorly or with a lack of confidence, the Manager must have the chance to change things by having options for every position. We don't have that and too many players are guaranteed a game when they don't deserve a jersey cause there is no-one else. Teams play us knowing they are likely to score as we by rarely keep a clean sheet.
As far as a takeover is concerned, I've heard rumours about who is involved and if true I'm sorry to say, it doesn't inspire me to think that things will be any better than at present. Why would anyone want to invest money in the Club where it's unlikely to give any return ? Or are investors thinking that with League reconstruction we could go out of business in the next 5 years and they could sell the assets such as the ground and surrounding land.
Can't see a turnaround in the clubs fortunes on or off the pitch anytime soon and more and more people are going to turn their backs on East Fife.

BT
They showed a bit of ambition by getting hold of Billy Brown

No they didn't. He wasn't being considered for the job, wasn't on their list of possible targets until Billy contacted the board and said he wanted the job.

I assume you can verify your statement if not fuck off.

Your assumption is correct

lapsed fan

So prove it please?

Lol sack the board, show some vision, stop wasting our money . Just wonder how many of the sack the board mob have ever run a buisness why don't you just post your business plan, nd while you have all this in side info tell us who the board tried to get in etc. Oh and if you can' t just go and support crowding as you seem quite struck on them lol suppose you won't be back until we have competent board oh well, I' ll miss you

Waste of money...AGAIN!
Agree! All those apologists with the black and gold tinted glasses on should take a reality check.

Disagree! The reality check is for you, as you can never wear black & gold tinted glasses, simply cos your heart just isn't in the club.

BT
Lol sack the board, show some vision, stop wasting our money . Just wonder how many of the sack the board mob have ever run a buisness why don't you just post your business plan, nd while you have all this in side info tell us who the board tried to get in etc. Oh and if you can' t just go and support crowding as you seem quite struck on them lol suppose you won't be back until we have competent board oh well, I' ll miss you

The situation isn't good really. The problem with the Board is that with a few exceptions they are there for the blazers. The Chairman sees himself as important because of his SFA involvement. Directors actually think being on the Board gives them some standing. None of them would know a business plan if it knocked them on the head and everyone is hamstrung by having an absentee owner. It is a mystery why one of Rankine's family doesn't get directly involved to clear out the dead wood and (maybe) give the club some sense of direction. We may be seeing a famous club wither away to nothing.

True Fifer
lapsed fan

So prove it please?

You have told someone to "fuck off" on the other thread!!! Why should I prove anything to you? Your ignorance of what happened when Billy Brown was hired is not my problem.

I (like many others) don't understand the top echelons of of our club.
But I do know recently we have appointed almost the best in ex Scottish internationals in Craw, Robertson and Durie now BB the best /#2 in the last decade; so it's hard to blame the board at operational level.
BB has to work with what the squad he's got for now and based on the last few performances that is limited, especially as Div is out of contract and likely to move on. Our best pound for pound player IMHO

Billy Brown on stennie tv saying the ref was shocking and i couldnot agree more. Stennies first goal was a blatant foul on div muir.Numerous bookings for no reason.Billy said we put a lot into the game but not getting any luck.He says back to hard work on the training pitch.

It was only a matter of time before they were going to equalise,as soon as we scored it was backs to the wall stuff.Eleven men behind the ball and let them come on to us.When they did score it was obvious that they would do it again as they had all the momentum.Have to say Div was momentous as centre half and was clearly fouled in the run up to their goal.There was clear signs of improvement from the dross we have endured over the last few weeks but still a lot of work still to do.

fan67
Billy Brown on stennie tv saying the ref was shocking and i couldnot agree more. Stennies first goal was a blatant foul on div muir.Numerous bookings for no reason.Billy said we put a lot into the game but not getting any luck.He says back to hard work on the training pitch.

Just watched the Stenny post match interviews.
No need for the comments of the interviewers, from the look on BB face, thought was going to land a left hook on one of them!
Agree with him, the ref had a shocker, constant fouls all over the park and EF definately deserved something from the game.

For those not at the game the players put in a shift, played some good attacking fitba'. Unlucky not to get a second, and despite losing 2 goals defended well when needed.

I've not hit the panic button yet.

Agree div ,shagger, smith, all had good games but our better players Barr, Willis ,Samuel were really poor. It won't belong until fans start to get on Barr's back after a string of poor performances . Bobby linn got a lot of abuse for not playing well and both very similar players who should have been doing better.

Penpal, I'm with you on this one, fingers off the panic button. Some good posts on here bringing out relevant points on both side of the argument about the board. There is always more that they could be doing, however as put on here appointing Craw, Robbo and Durie before BB does show to me that they are trying to get the right type of guy. Ok it hasn't worked at the moment, but at the end of the day who was the last guy to get us out of Div 2 !! It took GOD to do the job. I think some of our frustrations are that in spells in games we have played some of the most entertaining stuff seen for a while, it then lapses into dross for periods and that I think is beginning to get to folk. All of this on top of dwindling attendances, an aging support and nae atmosphere at home games, How do we get a feel good factor back ! Simple BB has to kick some arses. Also agree with the poster about Div, he always seems to want to battle for us hope it keeps rubbing off on others. I think Scott McBride has also been really giving it a go. Bobby Barr as dipped in form which is a pity but he'll come back. Mon the fife lets be having you.

Was at the game yestarday thought we played well first half with the odd chances I noticed me and eugene who was standing with a few of us in the terracing was encourage the side on that we support. Then mcbride scored off a free kick then we sat back after that and they some how scored two great volleys, thought the defending from durie for the side second was questionable he's somehow been underpar in recent weeks which is a worry. Even they had there sub keeper on the park when samuel injured their keeper and we never tested him or put on subs part from sammy for keinen? Where's robert sloan, david white gone? Is pollock released or what? Who is the number 2 to billy as he seems to do the shouting alone? I pay every week to watch us play at bayview because I have to fork out for the stagecoach every week and the odd alloa, stenny and where ever I can get to on a away game but we need to win games and start improve as a club.

Ps with all this talking on here about fans packing it in isn't good you here for one thing support the team not walking away we aren't real mardrid, come on! We can survive this come on believe! Let's get to that game with brechin at home known we are division 2 not 3.

Come on Fife! Come on you fans? Let's support the club too.

BT
Sack the board ?

Can we contact a hendry ireland get him in? Get rid of these old diddys and get in someone that's hungry for success and supports the club and knows his football.