Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Heading into the abyss?

Are we nearing the end of this once great and proud club?
With crowds getting smaller and smaller year after year and more people walking away i fear relegation could well be the final nail in the coffin for East Fife FC.
Do the board care anymore or do they see East Fife as real estate and nothing more?
I`m nearly 50 years old, have followed East Fife all my days and i`m very close to saying enough is enough.
If we are relegated then i`m not interested in 3rd division football and deep down i`m angry that it`s come to this.
I well remember crowds of 2-3000+ for home games and my god how we have fallen behind over the years.
Cowdenbeath have something we dont have despite playing in a cesspit and 2-300 fans on average. Wish i knew their secret but i suspect it lies within a board who are well organised and care about the club and support.
Considering our perilous league position that was poor today. I expected more of a fight but these players either aren`t interested, not good enough or both.
Very sad times for East Fife fans and very worrying.
It`s all very well being financialy sound but that wont matter a hoot in the 3rd with 2-300 "fans" every odd week.
Questions have to be asked of this board and their managerial appointments over the years. I`ve seen nothing from Brown to suggest he can pick a player or a formation and results don't lie. Doesn't look like he can turn it around in the games remaining and we will lose out in the playoffs to clubs and teams with more desire and gutts than us. Of that i`m sure. Brown will take us down then Brown will leave.
It`s a shambles either way and looks like its only going to get worse.
We may not be bust but we sure as hell are rotten.

Why i post this i don't know. Alcohol i suppose. One of the few pleasures of a Saturday evening.
Certainly more pleasurable than a Saturday afternoon at Bayview this past 4 years.

Re: Heading into the abyss?

A brave post and well done for keeping the faith this far (longer than me). But everyone has their tipping point I guess.....

Yup we're fucked and I'm not sure what the future holds. Depressing.

Post of the year.

Who is to blame for our current predicament ? The Board ? The fans ? The Manager ? The players ?
I think all have had a part in it.
The Board - lack of direction, leadership and business sense. Only look short term and hope things will be ok.
The fans - many turning their back on the club for a number of reasons - poor product for what is being charged. Quick to criticise and moan about performances (I include myself in that) and as a result don't get behind the team with vocal support and encouragement
The Manager - Struggling to come to terms working with part time rather than full time players. Not consistently motivating and getting the best out of the players at the club. Did not strengthen the team in January when it was obvious that we needed a few players in.
The players - I would never say that any player deliberately goes on the pitch intent on playing poorly but I would certainly question the commitment and desire of some. We have too many players who look good when things are going well and we are on top in games (not very often this season !) but we don't have enough grafters who will go fully committed into challenges determined to win the ball. Today, only Darren Smith in a five man midfield is that type of player. Teams know they can bully us and win the midfield battle. This weakness should have been rectified by the Manager in January
The next two games are huge and nothing less than 6 points will be good enough otherwise we could well be heading into the Division 3 Abyss. The players need to play with passion and pride. Many wont be at Bayview next season, but they need to prove themselves to others to be able to get contracts elsewhere. Players will come and go, Managers will come and go. Board members will come and go. The fans are the only constants at the club but more and more are going to be tempted to go and not come back if the present shambles is not rectified. I have followed the club for nearly 46 years home and away but I don't think I could keep going if we go down. Going to games is meant to be enjoyable and is supposed to be a form of entertainment but watching a number of players going about their business half heartedly, making the same errors week after week, is becoming very difficult to take. Hopefully our fortunes will turn and we finish 3rd bottom because I can't see us having the confidence, dig, ability or attitude to survive the play offs

Great post Ian and just as good follow up from BayviewBoy.
But....
I hope and believe it won't come to it, but I can't agree 3rd division will kill us off - we had (too many) years in the wilderness of that league and survived.
Only WG money got us out of it, but 5 seasons in the second just about fits our size/income/current board ambition.
We'd all like to push on and get to the 1st but our current set up couldn't support that.
I don't have the answers, but one thing is for sure - throwing money at it isn't the answer - look along the A92 -3 cup finals in the last decade and probably played their last game yesterday.
Surely nobody wants that.
The answer somehow has to be developing our own local players, who not only have talent and ambition, but who really care for this proud club and will give everything for the cause.
On paper it looks like we have such a pipeline, but nobody breaking through - why?

EastFife2012
Great post Ian and just as good follow up from BayviewBoy.
But....
I hope and believe it won't come to it, but I can't agree 3rd division will kill us off - we had (too many) years in the wilderness of that league and survived.
Only WG money got us out of it, but 5 seasons in the second just about fits our size/income/current board ambition.
We'd all like to push on and get to the 1st but our current set up couldn't support that.
I don't have the answers, but one thing is for sure - throwing money at it isn't the answer - look along the A92 -3 cup finals in the last decade and probably played their last game yesterday.
Surely nobody wants that.
The answer somehow has to be developing our own local players, who not only have talent and ambition, but who really care for this proud club and will give everything for the cause.
On paper it looks like we have such a pipeline, but nobody breaking through - why?

You know I'd love us to be that, a club that has a policy of only fielding local (Fife born or brought up) guys only. A sort of Athletic Bilbao of the lower Scottish Leagues. This would need a thriving youth set-up (which we appear to have) and a good scouting system that takes in the whole county. I could get behind such a club almost irrespective of what division we play in and we would have a team, in theory anyway, that would fight and be committed to the club and shirt

Watching Hibs and Hearts just now and it's absolute shite, what's premier about these teams? The same just fuckin' welly it game that all leagues in Scotland (and some in England) play. I would be so much more depressed than I am now if I supported one of those teams. So what can we expect from East Fife, a team of rank amateurs, maybe a victory now and again. Point is it won't matter what league we are in, the standard of "football" will be no better. Maybe we will get a few wins in the 3rd tier and that will keep us attending the games. Forget history and live in the present, things are not going to get any better.

Just a foot note - until we get coaches in the Scottish game to teach the kids how to pass the ball and not give it away after the standard 3 passes nothing will change.

The abyss sounds about right.