Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Stranraer Game OFF

Game OFF

Today’s game against Stranraer is off.

Because of the weather conditions we called in a referee to check the conditions and in view of the strong gales he decided it should not go ahead.

Re: Stranraer Game OFF

Because of the wind??
Scottish football is fast becoming a Fuking joke.

Fiferbaz
Because of the wind??
Scottish football is fast becoming a Fuking joke.

^ Second. What an absolute joke.

Thirded

So this ref is John Kettley is he? And if it's not windy at 3pm?

Have to say I'm surprised at this decision as well. Yes, its windy, but we've played in much worse conditions than this.
It's certainly nothing like the gale that forced the late call off of that game against Dumbarton a few years ago.
I see the Arbroath game is off for the same reason.

Please Eugene not this tues nite for the game then as the Scotland game is on n if we want ANY sort of a crowd it would be better to hang off a week surely!! cold dark Bayview tues nite vs warm pub/house national team on Telly ???

Can we reassure fans that the re-arranged game will NOT be this coming Tuesday.

We'll announce the details once we've agreed with Stranraer.

BTW we've heard that the Stranraer club officals are stuck in there because of the weather.

we`d be better watching our lads than the national pile of shit.

Sorry have to come in here,it was myself who was down
at bayview yesterday with a ball and saw the potential
problem for today.

I then went down at 08.30 this morning incase it eased up
and then the pitch inspection was asked for because it hadn`t.

The ball would not stay still at anytime and you could not kick
into the wind without it coming right back over your head.

As for waiting until later for inspections we have to be fair to
everyone, our apponents,there fans and everyone concerned.With it
being Stranraer you can understand an earlier inspection was needed.

Calling off a game is not taken lightly at Bayview and we try our best
to avoid it,we have only had one called off this season for a frozen
pitch.

I`m dissapointed it`s off as a fan too but there was no option.

Hope this answers a few things for our fans and any more questions
I`ll be happy to answer if i can.

Cheers..... Monty (Groundsman).

Thanks for that Monty. Haven't been anywhere near the ground today but by all accounts the wind down there is hellish. Would have been freezin sittin behind the goals anyway!!

Monty
Sorry have to come in here,it was myself who was down
at bayview yesterday with a ball and saw the potential
problem for today.

I then went down at 08.30 this morning incase it eased up
and then the pitch inspection was asked for because it hadn`t.

The ball would not stay still at anytime and you could not kick
into the wind without it coming right back over your head.

As for waiting until later for inspections we have to be fair to
everyone, our apponents,there fans and everyone concerned.With it
being Stranraer you can understand an earlier inspection was needed.

Calling off a game is not taken lightly at Bayview and we try our best
to avoid it,we have only had one called off this season for a frozen
pitch.

I`m dissapointed it`s off as a fan too but there was no option.

Hope this answers a few things for our fans and any more questions
I`ll be happy to answer if i can.

Cheers..... Monty (Groundsman).

Thanks, Monty. It's always disappointing when a game is off but, and though it sometimes seems unlikely, we are in the entertainment business, and the conditions would have been farcical.

Personally, I think it's a step forward that we've stopped playing in gale-force winds. Does anyone remember Forfar many seasons ago. Pre-match, Dave Beaton was shouting to us from the touchline - we were at the barrier - and we couldn't hear a word he was saying, it was so windy.

Also, I think we would be better playing Stranraer in good conditions as today's would have suited them more than us.

Mini
Please Eugene not this tues nite for the game then as the Scotland game is on n if we want ANY sort of a crowd it would be better to hang off a week surely!! cold dark Bayview tues nite vs warm pub/house national team on Telly ???

Cold dark bayview would be much better than watching the so called best scottish players trying to pass a ball,and people on here complain that £13 is a waste of money to watch a football match!An absolute bargain compared to watching Scotland try and play.

kenwit
Mini

Cold dark bayview would be much better than watching the so called best scottish players trying to pass a ball,and people on here complain that £13 is a waste of money to watch a football match!An absolute bargain compared to watching Scotland try and play.

Having attended both the East Fife V Albion Rovers and the Welsh game I can only agree. The standard of play was better at Cliftonhill than Scotland showed at Hampden. Wales were good but I think we made them look good.

Eugene, when will you press for summer football? Yes, I know it is March and this weather is unusual.

I'd like to see East Fife speak out for summer football, we've been here too often. You have fans above pleading not for a Tuesday night rearrangement in the upcoming week, would they be so bothered if you were to say that a games been rescheduled for a July evening?

Imagine if the season was to start in March and run to November, like the MLS, we'd just be getting going and not that fussed about a fixture pile-up or rearrangements on a bleak winter's night.

Why can't East Fife lead the process of change?

Blister - we do need change and it is difficult predicting when the cold spells will come. I wondered, could you recommend a planet that we could play home games on where we might be able to depend on a more consistent weather pattern? Also, on how the travel arrangements might work?

Would we have to go nearer the Sun or farther from it to get the right ambient conditions? And if we played the games on Saturn for example, would the bus still leave the Shorehead at 12 noon as it always seems to do whether we're playing Stranraer or Cowdenbeath?

Would appreciate your thoughts as you strike me as someone who would know about this stuff - I felt astrophysics would be too difficult a subject for me to learn - despite folk telling me it's not exactly rocket science.

One more question - what's everybody else doing to pass the afternoon with the game being off (at least I'm not at Tesco's).

Ok, I'll get straight to the chase. I was at Tesco.
But stayed in the car listening to Open All Mics.
To be honest surprised the game was called off for high winds but glad that decision was made.
Was at the game earlier this season against Stenny, gale force winds wasted the game although we got the points.

Wont be next tuesday either as we are due to play brechin in a re arranged fixture.So earliest date would be 9th of april.See brechin played their home game at station park today,what chances of that next tuesday.Next week a massive game as well, if we can beat ayr that could drag them into the relegation scrap.

Station Park rather than Glebe Park for me on a work day! Just a wee bit closer, but it would mean making it in plenty of time for kick-off.

Thanks to KoTS for above. The esteem in which you hold my view is much appreciated. Sadly, the same cannot be said for Eugene who is quiet on the prospect of leading East Fife into summer football.

Sure, the journey to play a Ryman league side in a summer friendly might be fun but might it be better to actually play some league games in front of a few more fans and earn a few more pounds?

Why can't East Fife force the issue?

Blister in the sun
Thanks to KoTS for above. The esteem in which you hold my view is much appreciated. Sadly, the same cannot be said for Eugene who is quiet on the prospect of leading East Fife into summer football.

Sure, the journey to play a Ryman league side in a summer friendly might be fun but might it be better to actually play some league games in front of a few more fans and earn a few more pounds?

can we also have a friendly with Vancover Whitecaps at home as a club link, be like linfield and rangers the connection we have with vancover would be worth watching at bayview this summer if we stay up anyone agree?

Blister in the sun

does blyth spartans no play in that leauge, i love their green and white tops on football manager and we have played durham city afore so why not

No-one in their right mind would want to go to Blyth. It's a dump and a half.