Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Save the Pars

I know it's short notice, but considering that your game has been called off today, could some fans try their best to get along to the Dunfermline v Dumbarton game. Dunfermline are on their knees, and need fans such as yourselves to help save them. It would be much appreciated, and i'm sure if East Fife were ever in such a dire situation, pars fans would be happy to help them out. I know there is a rivalry, but I would like the pars to survive to see us take on East Fife in the future. Do it for your club.

Re: Save the Pars

After comments made in the past 24 hours, looks like curtains for the Pars.
Sad but true... Quote from Leishman... steering group have done all they can, fans have done all they can. Its now over to Masterton to do his bit now.

So not much hope there.
No administration straight to liquidation!!!
Really sad state of affairs for Scottish fitba' Fans have turned their backs on our game (that's the royal 'our') and Dunfermline will not be the only ones to suffer.

Needs to be a total rethink of the senior game and although grass roots are doing their level best to produce players it doesn't seem to follow through to first team places. Total structure shake up required! Leagues, summer fitba' hoo-nos.

BVB... your report goes along way to addressing some of the probs...good effort btw (top of the class).

Suppose its all down to Finance.

For the record Dunfermline was up 3-1 at one time and lost 4 to 3 to

Dumbarton

At the risk of sounding like a vulture will this have an implication for East Fife i.e if Dunfermline have to start again as a newco in the third division, presumably East Fife will stay up even if we finish second bottom?
For the record, I sympathise totally with Pars fans and this is not their fault. Just like Rangers, this is a result of incredibly bad financial mismanagement at the top of their club

Myself and the good lady went along to the pars game today cause
Our game was off , a couple of decent goals scored,very cold ,good to
Watch ryan wallace again.

Unlucky for the pars some poor defence mistakes
Let Dumbarton back in.

Jimbob
At the risk of sounding like a vulture will this have an implication for East Fife i.e if Dunfermline have to start again as a newco in the third division, presumably East Fife will stay up even if we finish second bottom?
For the record, I sympathise totally with Pars fans and this is not their fault. Just like Rangers, this is a result of incredibly bad financial mismanagement at the top of their club

If the pars were to go bust and EF finish 9th then I believe we would still enter the 2nd division playoff. Both finalists of the playoff would play 2nd division football next season.

anyone have the attendance for the game at Eastend Pk today?
Ps... all the best to The Pars

Great club with a great history [like the fife] Terrible financial management [like Third Lanark]

Have been to EEP many times. First time i remember was with Braehead School. Pars were playing Atletico Bilbao in the Fairs cup and the School ran a bus to the game. Big crowd and 0-0.

2nd time was after the Michael colliery disaster. Fife select v Sunderland. Jim Baxter had just signed for Sunderland from Gers. Fife Select played in all Blue if i remember right and we were 0-2 at half time. Eventually won 4-2. I'm sure Bertie Miller was in the team, cant remember. Been a good few times over the years with the Fife as well. The big question is, how could the board allow this to happen in the 1st place?? I remember some years ago someone saying the pars were 9million in debt but it was manageable and that was a good few years ago.

Feel for the Pars fans as they are the innocents in this.Good luck you guys, lets hope and pray something will happen to give the club a break.

Fifey
Great club with a great history [like the fife] Terrible financial management [like Third Lanark]

Have been to EEP many times. First time i remember was with Braehead School. Pars were playing Atletico Bilbao in the Fairs cup and the School ran a bus to the game. Big crowd and 0-0.

2nd time was after the Michael colliery disaster. Fife select v Sunderland. Jim Baxter had just signed for Sunderland from Gers. Fife Select played in all Blue if i remember right and we were 0-2 at half time. Eventually won 4-2. I'm sure Bertie Miller was in the team, cant remember. Been a good few times over the years with the Fife as well. The big question is, how could the board allow this to happen in the 1st place?? I remember some years ago someone saying the pars were 9million in debt but it was manageable and that was a good few years ago.

Feel for the Pars fans as they are the innocents in this.Good luck you guys, lets hope and pray something will happen to give the club a break.

I remember the Michael Colliery disaster game. I dont think Bertie Miller played.If I remember correctly the goalkeeper, centre half and centre forward came from East Fife. I think they were Billy McGann, Gilchrist or Alan Guild at centre half and George Dewar at centre forward. I think Dunfermline, East Fife and Rovers each had three players in the team and Cowdenbeath had two. I think one of the Cowdenbeath players could have been Andy Rolland the full back. Perhaps one of the East fife historians on the web could verify this after all it was about 45 years ago.

The Fife Select side was : McGann (East Fife); Callaghan (Dunfermline), Rolland (Cowdenbeath); Barry (Dunfermline), Gilchrist (East Fife), Porterfield (Raith Rovers); Edwards (Dunfermline), Burns (Cowdenbeath), Dewar (East Fife), Murphy (Raith Rovers), Wallace (Raith Rovers).

4-2 was the final score, George Dewar got one of the goals.

Thanks Madman. I almost got it all correct.

Jimbob

Jimbob: you could be right, and you're not a vulture, just looking at how this effects us. Would be ironic though!

Anyone on here know what would happen? Is N crossbar right?

The last couple of times, the play-off winners and runners-up (the finalists) both went/stayed up when a team went bust.

Sad state of affairs really that we all have to clutch at (off-the-field) straws to wangle staying in the 3rd tier.

sad state of affairs that a fife team can go to the wall when they have a stadium without 3 walls,an atmosphere at games (all be it a drummer),an owner who actually attended games and traditional proper strips.....how can things possibly go tits up when you have all these things going for you?
For all those who slag our team...go and ask the pars fans how they are right now?
i bet they'd give anything to have financial security and a stadium to play football in at the start of next season...or even next week.

Cheers SPF. Lets hope we can avoid it and get the results we need.

St Pauli Fifer
The last couple of times, the play-off winners and runners-up (the finalists) both went/stayed up when a team went bust.

Sad state of affairs really that we all have to clutch at (off-the-field) straws to wangle staying in the 3rd tier.

Yeh and it's stay-aways lke you that do not help the EFFC cause.

St Pauli Fifer

How can you post 'we all' are clutching at straws on the strength of one guy making that comment? I certainly am not clutching at straws SPF, are you?

Hi Jocky. At least you've changed your handle this time.

I remember when staying away wasn't even an option - it was completely unthinkable. How times have changed at Bayview.

Given the Pars' situation, where do you see East Fife in 5 years under the Twigg Columbine Johnstone ownership?

kenwit
sad state of affairs that a fife team can go to the wall when they have a stadium without 3 walls,an atmosphere at games (all be it a drummer),an owner who actually attended games and traditional proper strips.....how can things possibly go tits up when you have all these things going for you?[o:)

It's because of some of those things you mention that Dunfermline were always the best supported team outwith the Old Firm going by local population to attendance.

We, on the other hand, are heading for a sub-400 crowd with our non-EF strip, 3 walls and clandestine owner that you allude to (and might still be up shit creek ourselves in the coming seasons).

So, I don't see what point you're making?

St Pauli Fifer
Hi Jocky. At least you've changed your handle this time.

I remember when staying away wasn't even an option - it was completely unthinkable. How times have changed at Bayview.

Given the Pars' situation, where do you see East Fife in 5 years under the Twigg Columbine Johnstone ownership?

Check with the administrators Mr Pauli, if you think I am your nemesis Jocky. I only made the point that you are erroneously saying 'we all', which is suggesting you are a spokesman for all East Fife fans and if you are honest, pretty rich coming from someone who doesn't even attend matches, along with the supporters who do! How can you possibly make such a statement?

Only summer football can save East Fife. How many people have you heard say 'I'd go along to watch East Fife today, but it's too cold'?

None.

Blister in the sun
Only summer football can save East Fife. How many people have you heard say 'I'd go along to watch East Fife today, but it's too cold'?

Also, £13 to watch east fife ? feck that !!!!

Ian gilchrist. Now that's a rave from the grave. Always classed him him as solid until a New Years Derby where he looked that he had been on the piss the night before. From that game my memory says he went downhill and disappeared from Methil.

Or. ?.. Where did he go ?

No idea, but didn't John Martis pretty much replace him anyway?

Anyway that was a heck of a Fife Select team. No wonder they won well.

mr305
Blister in the sun

I know, you would rather spend it going to the cinema to see Shrek 3 as it reminds you of Kirkcaldy

So Dunfermline go into administration. Will they survive ? Will they be penalised?

Thanks very much for your support guys, it's heartwarming to see so many fans of fellow "lesser" teams come together at a crucial time for Dunfermline. I know it's alot to ask, but can I urge you if at any point your game is called off/you don't have a game/fancy a trip to Dunfermline, to come along and watch a pars game? You never know when the last game could be, and it would be a shame if it ended and people looked back thinking that they could have helped. This isn't just for our club, it's for yours, and for the whole of Scottish football. Clubs like ours need to pull together at a time like this, because we can hardly rely on so called Old Firm fans for support.

Thank you

From the Pars Fans Site......

Two suits being heard tomorrow in court of session.
1. Our application for VA
2. HMRC for winding up as we have not paid the bill

Could yet go to wall and if we don't we are looking at only retain ing the Youth team to see out the fixtures. What a fecking shambles.

From Rovers Fans Forum.....

PARS are set to voluntarily enter administration subject to approval from HMRC.

Jim Leishman confirmed the move after a meeting between players, staff and representatives of the players' union at the club's Pitreavie training base this afternoon.

Bryan Jackson, of administrators KPF, has been chosen to lead the administration process should HMRC, owed £134,000 by the Pars, agree to the proposals this afternoon.

Leishman also confirmed that the players are set to play in the Pars' First Division clash with Falkirk at East End Park tomorrow night, and the club could face sanctions from the Scottish Football League if administration is confirmed.

Dunfermline MP Thomas Docherty said, "As a fan of the football club and a friend to the many hardworking staff at the club I am understandably upset, like many other fans, by the news today that the club has had to go into administration.

"I have supported the club in many ways as a season ticket holder, through their corporate work and by basing my constituency office within the stadium and I hope that the club can now emerge stronger as a result of this process."

Also from rovers site.....

Administration? That'll show them!

They'll come out the other side smelling of roses like Dundee and still be one of the top sides in the 1st division next season.

Anything other than the most severe of punishments by the SFL will be unacceptable.

Dunfermline's highest-earning players are being made redundant I see. Looks like this is with immediate effect and 11 players so far affected. Pretty depressing stuff for those concerned, don't know if Ryan Wallace is one of them but I dare say we'll find out soon. Part-time football looks inevitable I would say to ensure survival.

Pars fan
"lesser" teams

Erm....genuine best of luck with survival, but stick that comment above up yer erse.

To be fair I think he's including Dunfermline in that comment. Lesser, in this case meaning all those in the lower 3 leagues. At least I hope that's what he means.

I take it back.

Think we should pay the extra wages and keep Paul Willis. He's done well lately.

mr305
Blister in the sun

How much do you spend on one round in the bar on a Saturday night and how long does it take to drink your drink?

Penpal

Also from rovers site.....

Administration? That'll show them!

They'll come out the other side smelling of roses like Dundee and still be one of the top sides in the 1st division next season.

Anything other than the most severe of punishments by the SFL will be unacceptable.

Unbelievable, considering the financial mess Rovers have put themselves in on more than one occasion. Like I said in a post elsewhere on this forum, I couldn't believe my ears listening to Off The Ball a couple of weeks ago when a Raith fan e-mailed the show to say he had no sympathy for Dunfermline.
In his opinion . .. brace yourself for this one!! . .the Pars had got themselves into this situation because they thought they were a big club who could pay big time wages when in fact they were just a wee club. Pots and kettles indeed!

And how many times have Rovers had a winding up order served on them by HMRC and how many times have we defaulted on players' wages?
Sure, successive boards go us into the grubber financially, but we cut our cloth, by and large, which resulted in 4 years in the second division. Our cutbacks were severe enough that a club whos home gates are around one third of our own were able to entice Paul McManus from us by offering much bigger wages.
We're still not in a great place financially, but are East Fife?
You lot love the fact that we don't own our ground, but at least we know who does. Does the wee primary school age lassie still own the deeds for New Bayview or can't you answer that?
For what it's worth, I don't want to see the Pars go defunct- I always relish the big derbies with them, but a few years in the lower leagues might be seen as a suitable punishment for living beyond their means for so long. Just as Rovers had to, in order to bring some degree of financial stability back to the club.

Bette Noir
mr305
Blister in the sun

How much do you spend on one round in the bar on a Saturday night and how long does it take to drink your drink?

You know what ! I only posted that , as that is the reply i get from EX supporters who went YEARS ago. I have tried to encourage fans to come back and SUPPORT East Fife .The reply is £13 to watch East Fife ? Feck that !!!. Sorry for trying to get guys to come back