Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
East Fife's record safe

With Rangers only managing a draw with Stirling Albion today, and with Queen's Park's game being postponed, they can't beat East Fife's record of winning the Third Division with six matches to spare (they would have won it today if they had beat Stirling Albion and Queen's Park had lost at Annan). As for WHEN the title will be won, well they lost that one last week because we had it won on March 15th. And they'll now have to win all six of their remaining fixtures to match our points tally of 88.

Re: East Fife's record safe

They've also fallen well short of the league record held by Gretna (98 points and won on 5th March) and now look like failing to match East Fife's which was the second best by some distance.

Been keeping an eye on this too. Well happy that The Newco FC failed to beat our record. I hear that, as a result, they're in talks with Willie Gray.

Mind you, with Willie being very much a Celtic fan, this would seem as unlikely as, I dunno, a Raith Chairman changing his allegiance to East Fife. Hmmm?

Roundly booed off at half time and booed off again at FT.
Actually struggled in a few of their games this season, fans have expected a higher standard from their big time players.
Wonder if they'll continue to struggle next season against...
...err!...Us!!

Remember Gretna won their title in the days before play-offs and Peterhead chased them almost all the way.

5th March may just have been promotion day?

A little research shows that on the morning of 9th April 2005 Gretna were 15 points ahead of Peterhead and both had 5 games to play. Gretna took the title with a 7-0 home win against Stenhousemuir whilst the Blue Toon failed to beat Queens Park.

15 March is certainly a ridiculously early title win, but it was as much a result of the inconsistency behind us, as it was of our points total.

Pedant
Remember Gretna won their title in the days before play-offs and Peterhead chased them almost all the way.

A little research shows that on the morning of 9th April 2005 Gretna were 15 points ahead of Peterhead and both had 5 games to play. Gretna took the title with a 7-0 home win against Stenhousemuir whilst the Blue Toon failed to beat Queens Park.

15 March is certainly a ridiculously early title win, but it was as much a result of the inconsistency behind us, as it was of our points total.

Aye, anything but East Fife doing well eh?

EF supporter
Pedant

FFS he was just stating a fact. We won that the league that season easily by playing consistent football nothing more, nothing less. Spellbinding we were not. The rest of the league were absolutely gash, which certainly helped our cause.

Can you just not bear anyone saying anything remotely negative (which actually he wasn't) against East Fife?

Terracing Now!
EF supporter
Pedant

FFS he was just stating a fact. We won that the league that season easily by playing consistent football nothing more, nothing less. Spellbinding we were not. The rest of the league were absolutely gash, which certainly helped our cause.

Can you just not bear anyone saying anything remotely negative (which actually he wasn't) against East Fife?

Maybe, but why do some of us automatically think that when other teams have strolled a season winning a league, their opposition must be better? What is it with this - I must put a wee dig in about East Fife to show that I am not biased - attitude? What is wrong with showing a - I am proud of my team come what may - attitude instead?

Terracing Now!
EF supporter
Pedant

Said it many times before but after reading that pish from TM and P, i have to say it again. East Fife, for the amount of fans we do have, must have the highest percentage of twats than any other club. "WE WON THE LEAGUE EASILY BY PLAYING CONSISTENT FOOTBALL, NOTHING MORE, NOTHING LESS". "THE REST OF THE LEAGUE WERE GASH"." You two twats, read your words again!! NOW DO YOU AGREE WITH ME THAT YOU BOTH ARE TWATS?? So 9 other teams were gash?? Id like to say more but im actually speechless. What chance do we have with "fans"???? like you two????

Speechless? If only...

I think you need have a lie down my friend

Terracing Now!
Speechless? If only...

What are your thoughts on my reply to you above then? Surely you must agree that we should savour any success we get? There are certainly many comments from yourself and others, that seem to savour our shortcomings more, so you can have a right old whinge about East Fife. You can't blame others for thinking you might in fact be lino fans in disguise, can you?

Eh????

I made no comment on whether East Fife were good, bad or indifferent.

Pish and inconsistent are not synonyms. The pertinent fact is that Gretna got 10 more points than us and won the title 25 days later. Rangers and QOS are accumulating huge totals this season yet still won't match our achievement. There could be a number of reasons for that, and I apologise if I offended anyone by trying to point one out.

For what it's worth I think that 88 points is a fantastic return(*), and I enjoyed every minute of that whole season.

C'mon the Fife!!

(*)Unless your 3 divisions below where you normally would be, and have spent seven million quid more than the rest of the teams put together.

Sevco have been very lucky this season that the chasing pack have tripped over each other all season long. If they had been in the 3rd Div last year they would be bricking it at this stage as Alloa were beating everyone else handsomely, and it would basically have come down to the head to heads between Alloa and them.

Terracing Now!
Speechless? If only...

You need to read your posts and THINK before posting. What you guys typed WAS pure shite which you surely now must/should be embarrassed about.

I see the comments on poor performance, attitude, etc from fans every week, that's of course their right to have an opinion/critique after a loss but Your negative comments on a title winning season was unacceptable. It difficult enough reading the negative posts from outsiders who are just mucking around [they think we don't know [hee hee] but those posts were really unacceptable. Now im going to lie down.

Dysart Lino
Sevco have been very lucky this season that the chasing pack have tripped over each other all season long. If they had been in the 3rd Div last year they would be bricking it at this stage as Alloa were beating everyone else handsomely, and it would basically have come down to the head to heads between Alloa and them.

Or if they had been in the 3rd division in 2008 and it would have been down to the head to heads with us!

EF supporter
Dysart Lino

Or if they had been in the 3rd division in 2008 and it would have been down to the head to heads with us!

I reckon Baikie would have outwitted that wee dick McCoist over 4 games.
Ian Black v Shaun Fagan in midfield- now there's a thought.

"Said it many times before but after reading that pish from TM and P, i have to say it again. East Fife, for the amount of fans we do have, must have the highest percentage of twats than any other club. "WE WON THE LEAGUE EASILY BY PLAYING CONSISTENT FOOTBALL, NOTHING MORE, NOTHING LESS". "THE REST OF THE LEAGUE WERE GASH"." You two twats, read your words again!! NOW DO YOU AGREE WITH ME THAT YOU BOTH ARE TWATS?? So 9 other teams were gash?? Id like to say more but im actually speechless. What chance do we have with "fans"???? like you two???"

You need to read your posts and THINK before posting. What you guys typed WAS pure shite which you surely now must/should be embarrassed about.

I see the comments on poor performance, attitude, etc from fans every week, that's of course their right to have an opinion/critique after a loss but Your negative comments on a title winning season was unacceptable. It difficult enough reading the negative posts from outsiders who are just mucking around [they think we don't know [hee hee] but those posts were really unacceptable. Now im going to lie down.[/quote]

FIFEY,
you have to be the thickest, most clueless idiot on this forum.
Your posts are childish, nasty and a contradiction.
You simply have the I.Q. of a worm.

Brian
"Said it many times before but after reading that pish from TM and P, i have to say it again. East Fife, for the amount of fans we do have, must have the highest percentage of twats than any other club. "WE WON THE LEAGUE EASILY BY PLAYING CONSISTENT FOOTBALL, NOTHING MORE, NOTHING LESS". "THE REST OF THE LEAGUE WERE GASH"." You two twats, read your words again!! NOW DO YOU AGREE WITH ME THAT YOU BOTH ARE TWATS?? So 9 other teams were gash?? Id like to say more but im actually speechless. What chance do we have with "fans"???? like you two???"

I see the comments on poor performance, attitude, etc from fans every week, that's of course their right to have an opinion/critique after a loss but Your negative comments on a title winning season was unacceptable. It difficult enough reading the negative posts from outsiders who are just mucking around [they think we don't know [hee hee] but those posts were really unacceptable. Now im going to lie down.

FIFEY,
[/quote]

Hmm Brian. No answers to my comments/opinions, just abuse? At least i mix opinion and abuse. I can be nasty but im a contradiction?? Another Hmmm?? Does your Mother know your playing with the computer at this time of night , or are YOU going to see Shrek because 13 pounds is not worth it to watch The Fife?????

Said it many times before, for the amount of fans we have, EastFife have the highest percentage of moaners = twats in Scotland. And you, my candle burning, onesy wearing, late night poster, are one of them.

Fifey
Brian

FIFEY,

Hmm Brian. No answers to my comments/opinions, just abuse? At least i mix opinion and abuse. I can be nasty but im a contradiction?? Another Hmmm?? Does your Mother know your playing with the computer at this time of night , or are YOU going to see Shrek because 13 pounds is not worth it to watch The Fife?????

Said it many times before, for the amount of fans we have, EastFife have the highest percentage of moaners = twats in Scotland. And you, my candle burning, onesy wearing, late night poster, are one of them. [/quote]

Personally i think Brian has a point.

Well Mr JP. I have had replies from two of the "moaners, 1/2 empty, negative, cant wait to criticize twats and now Number 3 pops up. Welcome.

We should have a section of the Stand segregated for the Twats. Thats three already and im sure there are many more. Even better, sit at the away end. Slagging the players is equivelant to supporting the opponent anyway.

Heres a scenario.

Hi mate, going in to the game?
Yeah, looking forward to it
Me too, which end you going to?
Im going to the middle, what about you?
Middle as well since they started that segregation nonsense.
Yeah, TWAT END. Too many TWATS. Dont mind a fan getting a bit steamed up but all those TWATS together? Bad idea.
Yeah, agree, C U in the middle then.

Like the man said Fifey. You are a bit of an arse.

ps
i go every week.

Fifey diznay hae nae pals

He sounds awfy like Jocky. Is he Jocky in disguise?

Damn it, ive been sussed.

Fifey
Well Mr JP. I have had replies from two of the "moaners, 1/2 empty, negative, cant wait to criticize twats and now Number 3 pops up. Welcome.

We should have a section of the Stand segregated for the Twats. Thats three already and im sure there are many more. Even better, sit at the away end. Slagging the players is equivelant to supporting the opponent anyway.

Heres a scenario.

Hi mate, going in to the game?
Yeah, looking forward to it
Me too, which end you going to?
Im going to the middle, what about you?
Middle as well since they started that segregation nonsense.
Yeah, TWAT END. Too many TWATS. Dont mind a fan getting a bit steamed up but all those TWATS together? Bad idea.
Yeah, agree, C U in the middle then.

When you are able to post without resorting to abuse I'll respond.

You said I should read my posts first. Personally I'm fine with mine thanks. On the other hand yours looks like the work of a someone who has a few anger management issues.

Do you think you are capable of having a grown-up debate?

Is it too much to ask you to make some positive posts about the team you purport to support Terracing Now, or is that just a step too far for you?

I don't think I have read one single positive comment from you?

Do you know I would love to post positive stuff and nothing else believe it or not. From where I stand however there is just not much to be positive about. I love East Fife, have watched the team for 45 years but have never felt the despair, yes despair, I feel about the club as I do now. There have even been worse teams than this one in the past, yet I always felt optimistic that something better was just around the corner (I usually mistaken about that but I was younger and less cynical then!).

Right now though there seems like there is nothing better around the corner, only more of the same at best. If someone can contradict me on that then please I want to hear from you. Tell me why I should feel optimistic about East Fife, tell me why I should come back and watch. Tell me why I should make a 250 mile round trip to watch this lot every other week in bloody rotten weather.

Some positives - I love the look of the strip for next season. A proper East Fife kit! I think Billy Brown may be the man to take us forward, we need a whole load of new players though, players of his choosing. Let's hope we are in Division 2 for this to happen. The idea of some standing at Bayview is appealing, it's not proper terracing I grant you but better than nothing. The youth set-up continues to move forward from what I can see. I would like to see more of those lads coming through into the first team but only if they are good enough of course, it would be pointless just for the sake of it.

Cannae think of any more right now. I won't post anything again unless it's positive you'll be glad to hear. I'm getting sick of the negativity myself so let's hope the boys can get 3 points at Ayr on Saturday and if we do I'll be first on here to say well done.

It is fantastic that you made the effort to travel that distance mate. It is also understandable in your case, that you think twice before travelling that distance, just to go back home disappointed. I live local and I am disappointed with the results, but I keep going back in the hope that we will turn the corner and get back on track.

I admit that I too would think twice about travelling that distance with waning optimism in getting a win. However, living in the area, I will keep going through thick and thin. I like the match day experience before, during and after the games, so I live on in hope!

Having said that, I go to all the away games I can manage too!

TN. Credit where its due, excellent post. I never usually get into the banter stuff and just to let you know, i was never serious, just banter from a guy stuck on a steel island 1/2 way around the world and missing my family and friends, AND of course, East Fife home and away.

To travel as you do deserves great credit and although your posts were mainly negative, its still very obvious that you are a long time fan who is hurting, as we all are. I, like you have been following The Fife for a long time, in my case since before i left school. Dad used to take me when i was wee but as a paper round earner, probably around 1965 i started. Like you i have seen poor East Fife sides at that time. When Pat Quinn came along, it all got better, much better. What with Dave Clarke, Archibald, we have had our chances to establish ourselves in a much higher position but lack of ambition by the boards during these three Managers left us where we are now. I can understand the board being careful in these trying times though and they i think are doing the best they can in the circumstances. Bobby Barr? If they had let him go, we would have criticised them for that. That type of money shows they really do want to go up. They have got the right manager and like you say, when he gets his "own" team, maybe things will improve. In the meantime? I try to enjoy every game. I do like the away days as most of the grounds are traditional and the Bus is well run and great fun, win lose or draw. I would say to you Mr.TN just go to the games, dont expect, just try to enjoy the day. The game is 90mins. The expectation starts Friday night right uo to 3 oclock the next day, make th emost of that. AND, THINGS WILL, WILL, WILL GET BETTER.

Seen it all now. Fifey telling a fan of 45 year exactly how he should be supporting East Fife and what he should expect from games. Ha ha ha!

The man has lost it!

Good post TN

Cannae believe ma een
Seen it all now. Fifey telling a fan of 45 year exactly how he should be supporting East Fife and what he should expect from games. Ha ha ha!

The man has lost it!

Good post TN

Do you want to re-read Fifey's post again pal?

Well said Fifey, you wear your heart on your sleeve and continue to stick by the team when the going gets rough. THAT is what supporting is all about.

Well pal, just go to games, don't expect he said. Who is he to tell diehards what expectations to have.

Cannae believe ma een
Well pal, just go to games, don't expect he said. Who is he to tell diehards what expectations to have.

Thanks Fifer for the back up.

CBME. Who am I to tell anyone how to support their club??? Thats because i KNOW how to support my club and you my friend do not by the sounds of it, or am i missinterpretating you as you have obviously missinterpretated me??

Sorry but who are you to tell a diehard fan who supports East Fife for his own love of the team "don't expect"

He goes to more games than you ffs

He can choose his own expectations or are you abusive and a dictator type?

Sorry but who are you to tell a diehard fan who supports East Fife for his own love of the team "don't expect"

Cannae believe ma een

Jesus, there's two of you.
C'mon CBME. Does any one "expect" our teams to win? I dont go all over the country "expecting" my team to win. I "hope" we win, but dont expect to, do you expect to win every game?

ex·pect/ɪkˈspɛkt/ Show Spelled [ik-spekt] Show IPA
verb (used with object) :regard as likely to happen;

You are totally picking me up wrong CBME and thats a pity as your life would be much better for knowing such a nice, funny, goodlookin guy like me:))

But strange how someone who doesnt even know you can give a sense of dislike because of a few typed words. Brrrrr!!!. But I never take offence, so its not reciprocated Mr CBME.

Fifey
Bobby Barr? If they had let him go, we would have criticised them for that. That type of money shows they really do want to go up.

It's been documented on here just why Barr's at Bayview and who brought him here using some of EF's Cup money to get him off his other Club's wage bill.

About expectation and asking folk not to have any, the minute you have no expectations for your team, it's time to jack it in, in my opinion. Sadly, more and more have no expectations of this East Fife.

A fan should expect to compete, you should expect to show fight, you should expect to match your peers, you should expect not to be the worst team in Fife (as far as I'm concerned). Maybe that's just me.

St Pauli Fifer
Fifey
Bobby Barr? If they had let him go, we would have criticised them for that. That type of money shows they really do want to go up.

The going up bit is funny.
2nd from bottom last time i looked.

Quite a few days since ah wis on AFTN and posted that thing about Rangers no' bein able to better our record when we won the Third Division . . . . . think ah'll see if anybody has replied . . . surely nobody will have found an excuse tae turn that thread intae an argument .. . .
AW, FER F*CKS SAKE!!!!

You surely cannot be surprised at that Jim?

I have to take issue with Mr Pauli with his statement about why Bobby Barr was signed and that the reasons were well documented on here. What "documentation" are we talking about? Is it a post by a complete unknown person on an open forum and if so, is it to be classed as "documentation" and to be 100% correct information?

Well Jocky, it was pointed out on this site, twice, why Barr ended up here. Doesn't matter who posted it. I'll find them just for you.

You don't admit to Rankine's involvement in EF so you're not going to admit to that either, are you?

documented  
past participle, past tense of doc·u·ment(Verb)Verb Record (something) in written, photographic, or other form

Edit: Here's one, care to deconstruct it?

You ask if keeping Bobby Barr at Bayview shows a lack of vision. It shows many things, and none of it reflects well on East Fife. Be in no doubt, Bobby Barr would not be at East Fife right now unless Neil Rankine was involved. Ask yourself why would East Fife, or any club, sign a full-time player to join an entirely part-time squad? Why pay that one player £500 per week, when you could build a stronger squad by using those wages to pay three or four part-time players? Why "show vision" by signing Barr, and then just have a single line on the website last month to say Barr "will remain with us until the end of the season", making no mention of the fact that the loan has been turned into a full signing, or that we have recruited a full-time player to show how ambitious East Fife are? Why keep the full-time deal a secret, only to come to light when the player let it slip in a newspaper interview? The reason Barr is at East Fife is because Rankine had to pay the player's Livingston contract up to the summer, and used the Rangers cup tie cash to do this. He also instructed the East Fife board of directors not to spend £100,000 of that ticket money. This is common knowledge. Ask a director if you don't believe what you have read here. Pick one who is likely to tell you the truth, privately. But if you deny that Sid Collumbine is Rankine's representative on the East Fife board, there is no point discussing the matter with you. SPF, take note.

St Pauli Fifer
Fifey

It's been documented on here just why Barr's at Bayview and who brought him here using some of EF's Cup money to get him off his other Club's wage bill.

About expectation and asking folk not to have any, the minute you have no expectations for your team, it's time to jack it in, in my opinion. Sadly, more and more have no expectations of this East Fife.

A fan should expect to compete, you should expect to show fight, you should expect to match your peers, you should expect not to be the worst team in Fife (as far as I'm concerned). Maybe that's just me.

SPF?? Does that mean "SPEAKS PISH FREQUENTLY?

You have a habit of twisting posts to suit your negative "enquirer" type thoughts.

All i meant when i discussed with T.N was Don't Expect, enjoy the other parts of supporting. By expect i mean don't expect to win every game as most fans in the country will be disappointed a hell of a lot of weekends.
Last time i watched Fife, they did compete and fight for the ball. So what are you saying, East Fife players don't do that? Did you play football at any level SPF? Fight too hard and you get sent off [ask Fagan]There is a fine line between controlled effort and fighting for the ball. A few fans do tend to confuse the two and slag our players for not trying.

St Pauli Fifer
Well Jocky, it was pointed out on this site, twice, why Barr ended up here. Doesn't matter who posted it. I'll find them just for you.

You don't admit to Rankine's involvement in EF so you're not going to admit to that either, are you?

documented  
past participle, past tense of doc·u·ment(Verb)Verb Record (something) in written, photographic, or other form

Edit: Here's one, care to deconstruct it?

You ask if keeping Bobby Barr at Bayview shows a lack of vision. It shows many things, and none of it reflects well on East Fife. Be in no doubt, Bobby Barr would not be at East Fife right now unless Neil Rankine was involved. Ask yourself why would East Fife, or any club, sign a full-time player to join an entirely part-time squad? Why pay that one player £500 per week, when you could build a stronger squad by using those wages to pay three or four part-time players? Why "show vision" by signing Barr, and then just have a single line on the website last month to say Barr "will remain with us until the end of the season", making no mention of the fact that the loan has been turned into a full signing, or that we have recruited a full-time player to show how ambitious East Fife are? Why keep the full-time deal a secret, only to come to light when the player let it slip in a newspaper interview? The reason Barr is at East Fife is because Rankine had to pay the player's Livingston contract up to the summer, and used the Rangers cup tie cash to do this. He also instructed the East Fife board of directors not to spend £100,000 of that ticket money. This is common knowledge. Ask a director if you don't believe what you have read here. Pick one who is likely to tell you the truth, privately. But if you deny that Sid Collumbine is Rankine's representative on the East Fife board, there is no point discussing the matter with you. SPF, take note.

So, it IS a post by a complete unknown person on an open forum and is to be classed as "documentation" and to be 100% correct information? Thank you for clearing that up sir. Am I to believe everything written on here then? Or was that "document" written by you, who is a complete unknown to me and probably many others, and to believe only your posts be deemed 100% the truth?

"It's been documented on here just why Barr's at Bayview and who brought him here using some of EF's Cup money to get him off his other Club's wage bill."

Nope, nowt wrong with that. It definitely has been documented on AFTN. I even kindly re-posted it for you above to show you.

See definition of 'documented' above if you're having difficulty. Who's posted it and whether it's correct has nothing to do with it. He's documented his take on it on AFTN. It's quite obviously accurate anyway (unless you're in denial about who owns East Fife that is).

You may wish to deconstruct what he says. I'm intrigued. I don't think you can, but there you go.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

St Pauli Fifer
"It's been documented on here just why Barr's at Bayview and who brought him here using some of EF's Cup money to get him off his other Club's wage bill."

Nope, nowt wrong with that. It definitely has been documented on AFTN. I even kindly re-posted it for you above to show you.

See definition of 'documented' above if you're having difficulty. Who's posted it and whether it's correct has nothing to do with it. He's documented his take on it on AFTN. It's quite obviously accurate anyway (unless you're in denial about who owns East Fife that is).

You may wish to deconstruct what he says. I'm intrigued. I don't think you can, but there you go.

No need for me to deconstruct it, you have done a fine job of that by yourself. Thank you kindly!