Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Should Brown be sacked?

YES or NO

Re: Should Brown be sacked?

No.

Yes time for him to get the sack he's crap manger

Yes. Last night.

Is it his tactics and motivational techniques or are the players not good enough? Shouldn't that be the poll question?

Yes, if he stays then we will most definitely be relegated this season whether through the playoffs or straight down(which is becoming more and more of a possibility).

Get a young, hungry manager in with new tactics and a new way of playing the game. How many example are there currently in Scottish football that young managers are the way forward? Paul Sheerin, Colin Cameron, Ian Murray, Jackie McNamara, Derek McInnes, Allan Johnstone, Paul Hartley...the list goes on and on!

If we can find the right man who will give the much needed boost then I'm confident we can survive and then start to rebuild with a new squad for next season.

I'm sure theres plenty of ex footballers looking to get into the management side of the game such as:

Don Hutchison(Currently coaching at amateur level), Tom Boyd(Celtic u17 coach), Scott Booth(Scotland youth coach), Cristian Daily(Currently doing his coaching badges)

or we could go for young guys who have a little bit of experience in management/coaching like Torro or perhaps Alan Archibald?

We need to change with the times. Our club is constantly going backwards, time to go forward for once.

Either that or we all look forward to trips to Annan, East Stirling & Clyde next season.

No, but having to work with these tools might just make him walk, hopefully not.
I might be the only one but i think given time he will get things right at EF.

Sadly I think he has to go.
It's not working out.

Leven
No, but having to work with these tools might just make him walk, hopefully not.
I might be the only one but i think given time he will get things right at EF.

On what basis? Why do you ignore all the evidence and say that he can get it right? Look at the East Fife squad, there is no way on earth that it can be described as poorer than Albion Rovers and Stranraer, but on results, it is far, far inferior.
How long before someone comes out with the old nonsense "look at Alex Ferguson, he was one game from the sack". Billy Brown is 62, it ain't going to happen

We can keep changing managers all we like, if the club continues to be run by the same group of non-supporters it won't matter a bit. I wouldn't trust them to appoint anyone better.

On the playing front, it's hard to judge because he took over such a dreadful squad (mainly "built" by Durie). Yes he didn't strengthen in January but he might have been trying hard to do so, and when he failed he could hardly say that the players he was going to be stuck with weren't good enough.

Not defending Brown, I don't know enough about the situation. But this is hardly a purely football management issue.

Andrew Miller makes the point about a appointing a young manager. On that list of names, the name of Steven Crawford wouldn't seem out of place if we considered their playing careers. Young managers might seem fashionable right now but I am sure it is just a phase, if you fill the leagues with young managers, surely some will appear weaker than others.

It's more about getting the right fit rather than being age discriminant. One must consider managers like Allan Johnstone, he is backed by Sandy Clark, Danny Lennon by Tommy Craig. At one point, the tabloids were taking bets on which experienced manager should oversee Neil Lennon. If an old man doesn't work out, people cry for youth. If the young man doesn't get it right, he's too young.

I'd only ditch Billy Brown for Barry Smith at this point.

We have tried young managers in crawford and durie? After they didnt work out everyone wanted an experinced manager. Also, yes billy brown didnt strenthen in january but maybe there wasnt anyone that we actually needed. Yes we need a leader at the back but is there anyone we could have got in january? Im not defending billy brown as i think he should leave as results arent good enough but i dont think we should try someone with no experience in management.

Sadly I think that it wouldn't matter who came in, they would struggle to get results with the present squad. It's all very well saying we have good players but its the ability of a Manager to get players to gell as a team. How many at the start of the season expected the team Jim Moffat put together to get promoted and be in the running for the Championship right till the last game. He got the balance of the team right with strength in the right areas and had them working as a team. The present squad is unbalanced and has no natural leader. We have few grafters who will roll up their sleeves, do the dirty work winning challenges and get stuck in. We have too many who want to go forward and look as if they are footballers but are unprepared to do the nitty gritty.
I admit I was excited by the appointment of Billy Brown but on reflection, were the Board too hasty in the appointment. Did they really consider all the other applicants ? Billy Brown did well as Assistant Manager at various clubs but there is a difference being the main man. Maybe it is time to change but I'm not convinced the Board know what to look for.

Keep Brown till the end of season and if he doesn't clear out most of the 1st team players then sack him, these players have either had long enough or shown nothing in the time that have been here.

Anyone who was there last night will know that no football manager in the world would make a team out of those players.Ok we started the game with a new set up and got found out big time,but desperation to get a winning formula brought that on.My only criticism was we should have went back to a 442 much earlier.Im not sure a new manager at this late stage would make any difference,still stuck with the same players,as 31st of march deadline to sign any loan players.We just have to pray that we can get one more point than stranraer.We had a good manager in robbo and the board fired him.Stuart Garden has worked a miracle at Montrose wouldnt cost a lot to get him to bayview.I dont think anything will change on saturday as i see both Stranraer and East Fife losing,so it will be back to this cup final next tuesday.

Fan
We have tried young managers in crawford and durie? After they didnt work out everyone wanted an experinced manager. Also, yes billy brown didnt strenthen in january but maybe there wasnt anyone that we actually needed. Yes we need a leader at the back but is there anyone we could have got in january? Im not defending billy brown as i think he should leave as results arent good enough but i dont think we should try someone with no experience in management.

Durie for health reasons didn't work out.

As for Crawford i think if he was still in charge we'd be in the 1st by now. Bold statement i know but he's the only manager who got us playing good football & started to lay foundations in terms of youth etc...which is exactly what we need.

Young manager or bust.

Some of the players are simply not good enough. Don`t think sacking Brown would make any difference. Had high hopes when Brown was appointed but it`s just been a disaster. Think throwing full time wages at Barr was a big mistake when it was clear months ago that our defence should have been the focus! Sadly i don`t think we will come through the play offs andit will cost the club a fortune. Brutal

Sack him! Useless cnut.

There is a desperate sense of doom and resignation around here.
If you don't mind East Fife getting relegated, then I can understand why you would let Brown continue. If you think the club's Second Division status is important, it is completely illogical to let Brown continue. You must all know the results, the form, the hopelessness.
Can anyone else get the players to do better? Maybe. We don't know for sure. Can Billy Brown get the players to do better? Defintely not. We know that for sure. The results show that, he has admitted that, and last night should be the final proof that anyone needs.
The manager has no faith in the players, and the players have no faith in the manager. The relationship is broken beyond repair. And remember, Billy Brown doesn't want to be at East Fife. He needs a full-time job.
To give East Fife a chance of survival this season, he has to go.

P.S. Someone asks who we could have signed in January. Marvin Andrews, anyone? Right on our doorstep.

If an organisation keeps failing eventually its impossible to keep blaming or replacing the section leaders and the chief exec must go.

This club needs a serious rethink of its model of operation
Sack the Consortium. Lets have an East Fife where the power is in the hands of the fans, the community and local businesses not in Larbert or Livingston.

Doesn't help when u have a few players in the squad who spend Sunday night playing big time footballers getting pished in George street. Surely it wouldn't hurt to have a quiet weekend you have two games close together. We do have a few players who work hard but maybe lack some technique but for me it's the guys who supposed to have played at a higher level who aren't good enough. Mcbride spent all last nights game telling everybody else how do to there job but he couldn't control simple passes or win a tackle. Willis runs about the midfield does he trademark little turn but actually contributes very little.
McCormack struts about like he is a player but can't even pass a ball, all he does is punt the ball down the middle to nobody. Samuel had a ten minute spell in the 2nd half where he worked hard (mostly done to frustration I think), but spent most of the game rolling about after being bossed by centre half who I am sure was making his debut. Barr turned up thinking after his month long he would be going back to Livi so he was trying to impress. Even when Hughes was sacked Collins didn't want him back and since then he hasn't bothered his backside and if he put as much effort into playing as he does moaning he might get somewhere. Another FT club won't touch him on these performances.
Think Brown only has himself to blame for not sorting the team in January but you don't we know what was available to him and Bobby Barr and Samuel have been massive disappointments. However that doesn't explain his baffling tactics.

It is obvious the players are not trying for this manager, or Bob Malcolm / Brian Mcnaughton, or Gordon Chisholm before them. Durie's illness means we will never know for him. but a win at Peterhead and decent draws against Alloa and QoS, (albeit the statuatory humping at Central Park inbetween) looked like it could have been a decent season.

Brown brought about a short term boost after the Elgin debacle, and it all went wrong at Forfar between Christmas and New Year after MacCormack got sent off conceeding a penalty at 2 nil up. We would go on to lose, and followed it up with a poor performance and defeat at Gayfield a few days later. It has been a downward slide since then.

Last night the only change Brown made was to replace a bemused Paul Macmanus, with left back Keenan. He is obviously out of ideas of how to get this set of players to play.
The choice is keep Brown and start afresh with a full new squad in division 3, or ditch Brown and try to save this season.

Personally, I think this season is done, and Brown hasn't shown enough to warrant he is worth another shot, so I would look at bringing in a new manager for next season, and starting afresh with new players.

Thanks for trying Billy, but it just didn't work out.

Ritchie
Personally, I think this season is done, and Brown hasn't shown enough to warrant he is worth another shot, so I would look at bringing in a new manager for next season, and starting afresh with new players.
Thanks for trying Billy, but it just didn't work out.

I agree with just about everything you have said but if you think Brown doesn't deserve to be in charge next season, then he has to go now, and give someone else the chance to keep us in the Second Division.

i posted 4 weeks ago if Gary Locke got the hearts job would he take Billy Brown as his no2. the same week Gary got the managers post,sadly he never took Billy. On the same post i said i would like to see big Greig McDonald the next fife manager. If its good enough for sunderland to change the manager with 6 games why not the fife. The sad thing i think its too late no wins in 12 games and a 6 0 defeat with 6 games left is relegation form indeed. Relegation this year especially with the reconstruction on the cards for the following season will put us in the wilderness for years. its been bad enough getting out the 3rd div (usually takes us 4 years) but with a 18 team league will we ever bounce back. the players dont have the bottle or the desire to play for the jersey. If money is the only motivationfor the players then offer big bonuses the next six games and we might stay up and have a future.

Baikie , Crawford , Robertson , Durie ,Brown . All feckin useless managers ? BOLLOCKS !!!!!!!!!!! . It's time people on this forum wake up and see Saint pauli fifer has a POINT HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!

It was clear from the opening day of the season that the balance of the squad was wrong. We yet again failed to find a new Steven Tweed. A guy with bags of experience who never stopped talking throughout the games, a real fighter and leader. In the current squad we have no player with any form of bottle or fight.

The lot of them can go tomorrow, but the big time charlies amongst them might realise that no other club will touch them and may find themselves playing Junior football where they belong.

We are destined for Division 3 no doubt about it and who knows when we will return, this is a lot like the Derrick Brown days although this time the fans don't really give a toss.

mr305
Baikie , Crawford , Robertson , Durie ,Brown . All feckin useless managers ? BOLLOCKS !!!!!!!!!!! . It's time people on this forum wake up and see Saint pauli fifer has a POINT HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!

Baikie and robertson no. I still remember fans standing giving Baikie abuse as he walked into the dressing room at half time in out 1st season after winning the champioship. These fans still attend the games and if that is how you treat a manager that brought a championship after 60years then what chance has any other manager at fife. what point is SPF made, if i remember he wanted robbo to leave and its been dreadful since!

sickened

P.S. Someone asks who we could have signed in January. Marvin Andrews, anyone? Right on our doorstep.

P.P.S. Joe Mbu ?

I can only go on last season, but we played the whole season with two ineffective full-backs. Durie is a good footballer but never saw him as a full-back (maybe he's been better this season, so I'll stand corrected). Then Cook left the Club (he was never 2nd division quality - was just an 'athlete').

Were they replaced by G Durie/Brown ? Any manager knows you need a couple of decent full-backs, both defensively as well as being comfortable on the ball, for a team to do anything.

From what I saw, at the end of last season we needed, two full backs, a commanding centre half, a goalie who can command his area - who can come out and catch crosses, a leader and a winger/playmaker (to replace Linn).

Thanks to Rankine, we eventaully relieved Livi of their winger, but who else ? Again, well happy to be corrected as I haven't seen any of the new lads (Willis etc).

Sparky

This club needs a serious rethink of its model of operation
Sack the Consortium. Lets have an East Fife where the power is in the hands of the fans, the community and local businesses not in Larbert or Livingston.

Yes !!!!! Thank Christ, someone sees what's happening.

gladstone fifer
what point is SPF made, if i remember he wanted robbo to leave and its been dreadful since!

Robertson was shite. Ask the players who played under him. He's problems outwith football (he'll probably never manage again - ask yourself why).

The outstanding Aberdeen/Pars results showed just how badly we were underperforming in the league with that team. I remember shocking performances and a fair few hammerings. No wonder he was punted.

Baikie ?

gladstone fifer
mr305
Baikie , Crawford , Robertson , Durie ,Brown . All feckin useless managers ? BOLLOCKS !!!!!!!!!!! . It's time people on this forum wake up and see Saint pauli fifer hahs a POINT HERE !!!!!!!!!!!!
he
Baikie and robertson no. I still remember fans standing giving Baikie abuse as he walked into the dressing room at half time in out 1st season after winning the champioship. These fans still attend the games and if that is how you treat a manager that brought a championship after 60years then what chance has any other manager at fife. what point is SPF made, if i remember he wanted robbo to leave and its been dreadful since!

The point's he makes is about the overall running of the club , from the board Look into it

We were great 2011/12 season right enough

Dumbarton L0-6 L0-1 W3-0 L2-3

Cowden L1-3 L0-1 L2-3 L0-4

Stenny L1-3 D1-1 L1-2 L0-1

Arbroath D2-2 L1-3 L0-3 D2-2

Anyone could have won the league with the team baikie had. Willie gray bought us that league!

We actually used the same formation on Sat at Ayr and for the bestpart of the game , it worked. The difference was, last night, the wingbacks tried to play in Brechins half and left themselves open to counters down the flanks,2 on 1 too often.Against Ayr, Sloan and Durie played as full backs first, wingers second.

Is Broon still there? Better men than him have been shown the door in the last couple of weeks and by much bigger clubs than EF. See if Mr O'Neill disnae fancy a wee break in Fife fur the next 5 weeks.

I think brown has had time to prove hes up to the task ht sadly i dont think he is Why dont we take a punt on a currently out of work manager with experieance of this league and even some of teh currant east fife playrsjohn mgglyn

Billy browns summing up of our current team and yesterdays short comings,really do hit the nail on the head.He said the team lacks concentration,lack application,and lack professionalism,now that is something every fan knew in january,so beggers the question why did he not change these imposters in january.Back to you billy would love to hear your version of events.

fan67
Billy browns summing up of our current team and yesterdays short comings,really do hit the nail on the head.He said the team lacks concentration,lack application,and lack professionalism,now that is something every fan knew in january,so beggers the question why did he not change these imposters in january.Back to you billy would love to hear your version of events.

Spot on, my feelings exactly when i read it. Some people are not cut out to be a manager and are good No 2's supporting the manager.

fan67

Wanting to change a team and being able to change a team are two different things. The "players" are under contract (and remember is wasn't billy brown that offered them that contract) so to bring in new players he would have to move people on...... And who would want them? Without new money being available (and a willingness to write off old money) it would be unrealistic for any manager to make significant changes to the playing squad mid season. Furthermore, at the start of January we were looking to go 3rd in the league as the brown bounce had propelled us up the league. Unfortunately the players were unable or unwilling to sustain that level of performance and have put us in the position we are in now.

Which ever league we start next season in I'm sure that it will be a whole new team wearing the east fife jersey. And I'd like to see billy brown assemble and manage that team.

Noisy crossbar
Wanting to change a team and being able to change a team are two different things. The "players" are under contract (and remember is wasn't billy brown that offered them that contract) so to bring in new players he would have to move people on...... And who would want them? Without new money being available (and a willingness to write off old money) it would be unrealistic for any manager to make significant changes to the playing squad mid season. Furthermore, at the start of January we were looking to go 3rd in the league as the brown bounce had propelled us up the league. Unfortunately the players were unable or unwilling to sustain that level of performance and have put us in the position we are in now.

Which ever league we start next season in I'm sure that it will be a whole new team wearing the east fife jersey. And I'd like to see billy brown assemble and manage that team.

At the very start of January just after the transfer window opened, East Fife signed Bobby Barr on a full-time contract. Previously, he had been on a loan contract. His wage is £500 per week. This took place two months after Billy Brown was appointed manager of East Fife.
This money should have been used to strengthen the team with three or four new signings but instead it was squandered on a single player who has barely been noticed since then.

At the time we brought in Barr until the end of the season was anybody complaining?

A Trialist
At the time we brought in Barr until the end of the season was anybody complaining?

At that stage, no one was aware that he had signed as a full-time player, on a weekly wage of £500. The club kept that very quiet.
But back to the point: let's get real about the suggestion that the club couldn't make any moves in the January transfer market. That is wrong.

The question is -does Billy Brown have enough knowledge of the players at this level to build a new team for next season?

A Trialist

WELL AYE

http://pub10.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=849684916&frmid=8&msgid=1329184&cmd=show

mr305
A Trialist

WELL AYE

http://pub10.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=849684916&frmid=8&msgid=1329184&cmd=show

Well aye what?

EF supporter
mr305
A Trialist

WELL AYE

Well aye what?

Well , copy and paste .

Brown should have been sacked two weeks ago. It's too late now, the damage has been done. Four games in an 11-day period have brought us a single point, via an undeserved injury-time penalty kick.
After three months without a win, the board kept faith with Billy Brown ("there will be no knee-jerk reaction"). How wrong could they be? How stupid could they be? How obvious was it to everyone that what has happened was certain to happen? In fact, the board had not a clue what to do. So they did nothing, and we're fucked.
And you know what? None of this matters to Sid Collumbine. The day he leaves East Fife, we will never see him at a match again. Dumbarton, Stenhousemuir, and now East Fife, we are just another SFA member club for him to take advantage of.

mr305
EF supporter
mr305
A Trialist

WELL AYE

Well aye what?

Well , copy and paste .

Who complained?

fan
Brown should have been sacked two weeks ago. It's too late now, the damage has been done. Four games in an 11-day period have brought us a single point, via an undeserved injury-time penalty kick.
After three months without a win, the board kept faith with Billy Brown ("there will be no knee-jerk reaction"). How wrong could they be? How stupid could they be? How obvious was it to everyone that what has happened was certain to happen? In fact, the board had not a clue what to do. So they did nothing, and we're fucked.
And you know what? None of this matters to Sid Collumbine. The day he leaves East Fife, we will never see him at a match again. Dumbarton, Stenhousemuir, and now East Fife, we are just another SFA member club for him to take advantage of.

We fully deserve to be relegated this season. The worst team in the league by a distance. Actually it would be good to finish bottom and spare us the humiliation of a tonking in the play-offs.

Nice one Sid. Nice one Billy. Nice one players. You can all go elsewhere and forget about East Fife but unfortunately your legacy will be years of oblivion in the 3rd division and us, the fans, will be stuck with that.

Yes....'actually it would be good to finish bottom'. mmmm...FANtastic not!!!

We're fucked either way. Might as well get it over with and spare us any further embarrassment eh?

Oh and I like the FANtastic bit. Nice touch.

fan67

If BB said this then we have a massive problem; all three motivational factors are down to the management team.

EF supporter
mr305
EF supporter
mr305
A Trialist

WELL AYE

Well aye what?

Well , copy and paste .

Who complained?

read it again jocky