Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Remaining fixtures

With Tuesdays game now a must win, a had a look at the remaining fixtures for ourselves and for Stranraer.

East Fife;

East Fife v Stranraer
East Fife v Stenny
East Fife v Alloa
Queen of the South v East Fife
East Fife v Brechin.

Stranraer FC

East Fife v Stranraer
Queen of the South v Stranraer
Arbroath v Stranraer
Brechin v Stranraer
Stranraer v Forfar
Stenny v Stranraer

I know results for last couple of months have been horrendous, and Stranraer seem to be digging out results here and their, and showing alot more fight than ourselves.

But the fixtures don't look too bad I don't think, 4 of our 5 remaining games are at home.

Stranraer are at home just once out of their remaining 6 games. Their away games are against teams looking to book a place in the play offs.

To go through East Fifes fixtures, I actually fancy us to SCRAPE a result on Tuesday night and get the 3 points.
We then face Stenny at home, they in my opinion aren't much better than ourselves and Stranraer, I think a win can be achieved in this game.
The following week sees us at home again to Alloa, im clutching at straws here but hopefully they will have got 2nd place done and dusted and start resting a few players (doubtful though).
Queen of the South away - No explanation needed, Lose.
Hopefully the final game of the season v Brechin at home, same sort of explanation regarding resting players etc, hopefully Brechin will rest a few to make sure of no injuries for their play off the week later

Whats everyones thoughts?

Re: Remaining fixtures

It'll come down to who wants it more and that's related to confidence. At the moment we have a real lack of confidence due to some performances and our last dozen results. We don't have a settled team which means there isn't a great understanding between players. Stranraer on the other hand have had a more settled side and have been picking up points here and there especially with a good result against Brechin y'day.
I don't think we should look any further than Tuesday. Win and we have a chance of avoiding the play offs. Lose and we'll be 8 points behind Stranraer who will have a game in hand and we have no chance of making this up over 4 games. Personally, I don't think we have the players to get us out the shit they have dropped us in. We lose soft goals week in week out - 4 clean sheets all season tells its own story ! We don't have enough battlers and winners especially in midfield and we are too easily bullied out of games. 3 times y'day the ball went past Bob Malcolm a yard to the side of him and he couldn't even stick his leg out - one of these occasions caused the second goal. In my opinion, Brown should have subbed him whenever we got the equaliser in an attempt to shut up shop and bring home a point. Unfortunately he allowed him to continue to tow one of the local farms tractors that he'd had all day !
Being realistic, I think the play offs beckon. As it stands we would face Montrose who I think we could beat over 2 legs but Peterhead or Queens Park in the Final would be a bridge too far for us. I really hope I'm wrong and that the players can produce improved performances and get positive results to secure our Division 2 status. However, no matter which Division we are playing in next season, I sincerely hope that the Manager, whether its Billy Brown or A N Other has a mass clear out, keeping probably only 4 or 5, and build a new team for next season.

The theory makes sense Fifer1, but the inescapable truth is we're shite. Albion, Stranraer, Stenny and Ayr are pub teams or little more, and time and time again they've matched us or got the better of us this season. Only one conclusion there then.

At the start of the season, we hoped we'd at least be fighting for a place in the play-offs at this stage of the season. Seems to me we are! Wrong play-offs though.

I think a comparison of our remaining fixtures and Albion Rovers remaining fixtures might in reality be more relevant.

For some unknown reason no East Fife supporter has mentioned Calum Antells performance yesterday ? Reading the P+B website he was Superb yet again keeping the team in the game for long periods.

andy mann
For some unknown reason no East Fife supporter has mentioned Calum Antells performance yesterday ? Reading the P+B website he was Superb yet again keeping the team in the game for long periods.

Aye, probably the whole no wins in 12 games and relegation to the third division thing is probably taking up much of the conversation. I'm sure we'll all get to the part that we can talk about how great it is that a goalkeeper has carried out basic goalkeeping duties though.

Agree with bayvview boy we need to just look at next game,stranraer will know a victory will see them almost certainly safe.Defeat and we have had it.I dont believe this group of players have the bottle to take 3 points from a must win game,i really hope i am proved wrong.I cant see how you can win a game of football defending the way we do.Credit to calum antell yesterday,he came back and put two fingers up at the doubters myself included.I hope the team prove me wrong on tuesday.As for chopping and changing the team no player who played on tuesday,can complain about being dropped yesterday.Billy brown should look them all in the eye, before tuesdays game, and ask each and everyone who has the fighting qualities to win a football match.Not sure he would be able to field 11 players if they all gave him a truthfull answer.

The fact is we just don't have the squad for us to be able to chop and change. It's win or bust on Tuesday.

If everyone is fit we should line up...

----------------Antel

Durie - McCormack - Campbell - Johnstone

------------Muir - Smith

Barr ---------Willis ------McBride

--------------McManus

Thanks for the feedback and your thoughts, a couple of u guys r totally right that we should really only be looking at Tuesdays game and not beyond, I reckon we will sneak a win.

We played pretty well against them the last time at bayview but lost 1-0, had numerous chances and couldnt take them. We as a team look as if we always get chances and seem to score a few but defending this season has been poor, just down to who takes there chances on tuesday.

On a seperate note i noticed the preferred team selection above, anyone else think that Bobby Barr would be better through the middle just behind the strikers?

I think his movement is really good, creates space, good touch and quick, skilful and can spot a pass.....I really think he would be better playing there

Looking at the remaining fixtures we will do well to avoid straight relegation. Stranraer have done well under new manager and have been grinding out results and imo will finish above us. Don`t fancy our chances in play offs.

Is it just me or is this andy mann characters obsession with Calum Antell bordering on the creepy?Its almost as disturbing as keyboard revolutionary,SPFs doomed love affair with Lloyd Young.Horrible stuff!!

The love affair is doomed right enough. So are East Fife. I don't see any evidence how we'd beat my darling Young's Montrose over 2 legs. According to reports it could've been 6 yesterday (again).

Great stuff

Tuesday is the must win game. Looking at the fixtures,yes we have 4 home games remaining and i think we have to win them all to have a chance getting out the bottom 2. The sad thing we have only won 4 at home all season so it will be a major turnaround to double the home wins at this stage of the season when confidence is low and bum cheeks are tweeking!!