Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Missing out again

Next season if reconstruction doesn't happen,Dunfermline who were docked 15 points yesterday,could well be in the 2nd div alongside Rangers. 4 big home gates with more than the usual 40 away fans at Bayview. Only problem is we are not going to be in the 2nd div.I know some of you don't will say stuff hosting Rangers and all the nonsense that their fans bring,but the truth is our club is dying on it's arse,and these 4 home games against them and the Pars would make Bayview full and actually bring local interest and atmosphere back on match day.Oh well we can only dream of what might of been.

Re: Missing out again

It's not over yet.
Players shouldn't need motivation to win on a Saturday but, if they do, then the carrot of Pars and Gers games being dangled in front of them should help.

Personally, though, I can't see Dunfermline going down.

Its a long shot, no denying that, but until its mathematically impossible to avoid the playoffs, I'm still hoping for the results to save us.
This could still go down to the wire.

Not too happy reading some of the comments made by BB in the national press about the gloom, doom, despondency around the CLUB!
'No winning mentality in the team'. Demoralising comments rarely work when trying to get the best out of any team. The short sharp shock tactics are not working. His job is not to throw the towel in, but to rally the team to give their best. He should be providing the leadership and set an example of 'never say die' attitude.

Wonder if he has an eye on the assistant job at the pars?

Hope the team can somehow self motivate for the last 4 games.
(no doubt my post will be shot down in flames)

Penpal
Its a long shot, no denying that, but until its mathematically impossible to avoid the playoffs, I'm still hoping for the results to save us.

Not too happy reading some of the comments made by BB in the national press about the gloom, doom, despondency around the CLUB!
'No winning mentality in the team'. Demoralising comments rarely work when trying to get the best out of any team. The short sharp shock tactics are not working. His job is not to throw the towel in, but to rally the team to give their best. He should be providing the leadership and set an example of 'never say die' attitude.

No...I dont think your comments should be shot down. I am a Billy Brown supporter but I cant pretend I wasnt a little disheartened to hear his comments. Surely it is the MANAGER's responsibility to lift the "gloom and doom" amongst the players and create a "winning mentality"???

Jimbob
Penpal

No...I dont think your comments should be shot down. I am a Billy Brown supporter but I cant pretend I wasnt a little disheartened to hear his comments. Surely it is the MANAGER's responsibility to lift the "gloom and doom" amongst the players and create a "winning mentality"???

Agree.

I read all that is said here (as do the Chairman and Board members, whether they admit it or not) and I don't hide behind a made up name. The club is clearly in a bad way in terms of morale and commitment. Nothing new of course but this is as bad as we've seen for a number of years. Expectations are always high at Bayview, maybe unrealistically high sometimes, but this just means more effort has to be put into it.

It is difficult to understand what the Board are doing about it, and why they seem to maintain a wall of silence. Too afraid of rocking the boat and putting their own positions at risk? Or perhaps they just don't know what to do. Does the Board actually discuss performsnces and results? I don't know the stats like some others do but this must be just about our longest ever winless run.

I don't expect to be asked to get involved again but that doesn't mean I have no views on the position we seem to have reached. Let's hope for at least a couple of wins in the next few weeks.

A Trialist
It's not over yet.
Players shouldn't need motivation to win on a Saturday but, if they do, then the carrot of Pars and Gers games being dangled in front of them should help.

Personally, though, I can't see Dunfermline going down.

The carrot of games against Rangers has been there all season. There is now a chance of games against the Pars. Lets be honest, these carrots will make no difference whatsoever because the majority of players will not be at Bayview next season so why would this bother them ? We are where we are due to players not being good enough, not working as a team, not being as organised as other teams, no settled starting 11 and some bizarre managerial decisions. For these reasons we deserve to be where we are.

donkeys dont like carrots nowadays then.

Bruce Black
I read all that is said here (as do the Chairman and Board members, whether they admit it or not) and I don't hide behind a made up name. The club is clearly in a bad way in terms of morale and commitment. Nothing new of course but this is as bad as we've seen for a number of years. Expectations are always high at Bayview, maybe unrealistically high sometimes, but this just means more effort has to be put into it.

It is difficult to understand what the Board are doing about it, and why they seem to maintain a wall of silence. Too afraid of rocking the boat and putting their own positions at risk? Or perhaps they just don't know what to do. Does the Board actually discuss performsnces and results? I don't know the stats like some others do but this must be just about our longest ever winless run.

I don't expect to be asked to get involved again but that doesn't mean I have no views on the position we seem to have reached. Let's hope for at least a couple of wins in the next few weeks.

Bruce your re-appearance on this forum, showing your continued interest, is for me the only positive of recent months. I think we would all like to see you back at the club, involved again, preferably at the helm. I would hope that the chairman of the Trust has read your posts, and has been in touch with you. He said recently that he didn't know anyone who could take the places of the current directors if they resigned en masse. Well, here's one landed in his lap. Can somebody give NTOC a prod please?
It is also worth considering that the current Trust rep has been on the club board for a few years now. Other Trusts regularly rotate their boardroom representative, some of them do it every year. Bruce would be my choice to replace him.

The board coming out and saying that most of the squad won't be here next year is a brutal mistake. If my boss asked me to give 100% and I knew I was being punted for next year I'd struggle to give a shit.

supporter
Bruce Black

Bruce your re-appearance on this forum, showing your continued interest, is for me the only positive of recent months. I think we would all like to see you back at the club, involved again, preferably at the helm. I would hope that the chairman of the Trust has read your posts, and has been in touch with you. He said recently that he didn't know anyone who could take the places of the current directors if they resigned en masse. Well, here's one landed in his lap. Can somebody give NTOC a prod please?
It is also worth considering that the current Trust rep has been on the club board for a few years now. Other Trusts regularly rotate their boardroom representative, some of them do it every year. Bruce would be my choice to replace him.

Agree, get Bruce Black involved. Rankine's helpers and the other (supposed EF) folk on the board, denying Rankine involvement, are slowly killing East Fife.

""It is also worth considering that the current Trust rep has been on the club board for a few years now. Other Trusts regularly rotate their boardroom representative, some of them do it every year. Bruce would be my choice to replace him.""

The main reason there has been no change in the Trust Representative is that no-one else has come forward.

We are an open and democratic organisation and it would be great if other members were willing to get more involved.

When I first helped start the Trust I made it clear then (just as I did with the Young Fifers) that I was willing take a major role only for a limited amount of time. I recognise that if someone is in the same role for too long then staleness and complacency can result (not that I'm admitting to either of these!)

One thing to bear in mind is that whoever is the Trust nominee for the club board has to be approved by the club directors. This is the case with a director of any limited company. I would certainly hope that if someone comes forward to be nominated to replace me then they would be acceptable to the rest of the East Fife board.

Fat Doug
The board coming out and saying that most of the squad won't be here next year is a brutal mistake. If my boss asked me to give 100% and I knew I was being punted for next year I'd struggle to give a shit.

Saying this is a brutal mistake is absolutely correct but can't do justice to how inept the Board of this club is. Ditto the manager coming out with much the same.

How not to motivate your team eh? A shambles of a season, just a fucking shambles of a season from beginning to the end.

Eugene Clarke

""It is also worth considering that the current Trust rep has been on the club board for a few years now. Other Trusts regularly rotate their boardroom representative, some of them do it every year. Bruce would be my choice to replace him.""

The main reason there has been no change in the Trust Representative is that no-one else has come forward.

We are an open and democratic organisation and it would be great if other members were willing to get more involved.

When I first helped start the Trust I made it clear then (just as I did with the Young Fifers) that I was willing take a major role only for a limited amount of time. I recognise that if someone is in the same role for too long then staleness and complacency can result (not that I'm admitting to either of these!)

One thing to bear in mind is that whoever is the Trust nominee for the club board has to be approved by the club directors. This is the case with a director of any limited company. I would certainly hope that if someone comes forward to be nominated to replace me then they would be acceptable to the rest of the East Fife board.

Is this to be taken as meaning that Bruce Black wouldnt be acceptable to the rest of the board?

Eugene Clarke
I recognise that if someone is in the same role for too long then staleness and complacency can result (not that I'm admitting to either of these!)

You're right, no-one would want to be chairman of the Trust for ten years or anything like that, the members would lose interest

supporter
Eugene Clarke
I recognise that if someone is in the same role for too long then staleness and complacency can result (not that I'm admitting to either of these!)

You're right, no-one would want to be chairman of the Trust for ten years or anything like that, the members would lose interest

That's very true, especially when there are guys like you knocking on the door and being ignored. I mean, what do YOU have to do supporter, to have a chance of becoming the Trust chairman that you so desperately want and have been trying very hard to get over the last 10 years? I mean, with guys like you around, why are the likes of NTOC so doggedly hanging on to these positions??

Whatever happened to the spirit of the mound ???

Just to add to Eugene's comments I would like to add that BB is not a Trust member,and in my memory has never shown any interest in becoming a Trust member. I have no idea(but I can guess) how the board would greet the propsal of BB as a member in any capacity but his Trust status may present a slight problem to him becoming the trust representative.

I would like to add some fuel to "supporters" campaign to oust me as Trust Chairman. If at the next Trust meeting a member shows a genuine interest in becoming Chairman he will certainly have my vote and support.
The position has been available several times in the past and a request for an EGM containing a proposal to change the Chairman is relatively simple to do.

Reading between the lines
Eugene Clarke

Is this to be taken as meaning that Bruce Black wouldnt be acceptable to the rest of the board?

Interesting question. Answers on a postcard please!

On a more general point I am grateful for the interest being taken in my possible involvement but I should emphasise that it was absolutely not my intention to undermine the position of the Trust or its officebearers. I'm sure they appreciate that. I just think it is time for some change at Board level and am happy to be thought of in that context. There are no doubt others who need to be considered too. But it does need the Board and the owners to be willing to consider change and new approaches.

I am sure that the Trust would support any genuine moves towards change and fresh ideas at EFFC board level.

Not The Other chairman
Just to add to Eugene's comments I would like to add that BB is not a Trust member,and in my memory has never shown any interest in becoming a Trust member. I have no idea(but I can guess) how the board would greet the propsal of BB as a member in any capacity but his Trust status may present a slight problem to him becoming the trust representative.

We have a former EFFC chairman who has shown concern about the current state of the club, and it looks like he would like to get involved again. This person is an extremely capable individual and a respected businessman. This person is a lifelong East Fife supporter. These sorts are like hen's teeth.
And what is the reaction of the Trust chairman?
Is it: 'Wow, something positive at last, what a piece of luck'
Or is it: 'I'll drop him a line, this is the kind of person we need onside'
Or maybe: 'His expertise can only help us with our objectives'
Or even: 'BB has good contacts that might lead us out of this mess'

Sadly it is none of these. It is: "BB is not a Trust member, and in my memory has never shown any interest in becoming a Trust member."

Wonderful

Not The Other chairman
I am sure that the Trust would support any genuine moves towards change and fresh ideas at EFFC board level.

Have the two of you been in touch, I'm assuming you'd like Bruce Black involved in the Trust, at the very least?

I'd be banging his door down to get involved with the state the Club's in at the moment. It's fantastic and a ray of hope that Bruce is concerned and wants involved.

I'm missing something - why is Bruce Black now the saviour of East Fife?

.Because he is going to give Miss Twigg £250k for her shares, Deuchar is going to come out of retirement,'score the goals to win the playoffs, and we will all live happy ever after.

Noisy crossbar
I'm missing something - why is Bruce Black now the saviour of East Fife?

NO-ONE is saying he is the saviour of East Fife. Where did you read that?!

Given the state of the club i reckon Eddie Izard would be a welcome addition never mind an ex director with a decent record last time he was involved.

Man up and face up!

Ritchir
.Because he is going to give Miss Twigg £250k for her shares, Deuchar is going to come out of retirement,'score the goals to win the playoffs, and we will all live happy ever after.

Aye, it wouldn't be an improvement to get an East Fife-supporting businessman with successful experience of leading East Fife and a passion for the team, involved. Why would you not want Bruce Black involved?

OUR CLUB IS SLOWLY DYING, DO YOU REALISE THIS, OR ARE YOU WITH JOCKY IN HIS SPACESHIP??

St Pauli Fifer
Ritchir

Aye, it wouldn't be an improvement to get an East Fife-supporting businessman with successful experience of leading East Fife and a passion for the team, involved. Why would you not want Bruce Black involved?

OUR CLUB IS SLOWLY DYING, DO YOU REALISE THIS, OR ARE YOU WITH JOCKY IN HIS SPACESHIP??

Grim Reaper
Fat Doug

Saying this is a brutal mistake is absolutely correct but can't do justice to how inept the Board of this club is. Ditto the manager coming out with much the same.

How not to motivate your team eh? A shambles of a season, just a fucking shambles of a season from beginning to the end.

Surely if you were a player you would want to try harder to make the cut?

Fan eh
St Pauli Fifer
Ritchir

Stop laughing at yer own posts SPF!

Nah, that's you who replies to his own posts, remember?

St Pauli Fifer

If you say so Fan eh! I have to say though, Fan eh/SPF, you seem to have a penchant for throwing accusations at others who do not entirely agree with you.

Why are you like that? It is not achieving anything for your arguments, in fact it doesn't have any bearing on them at all, so why do it? The Jocky chap has told you many times he is not a director, but you continue to say that he is, but absolutely no proof forthcoming from you! You are now accusing me of being Jocky and obviously a director, so just name names and that will be the end of it.

The reason of course you won't do that, is because you are just making it up to try and gain support from others on the forum, when in actual fact you are broadcasting total lies! Certainly when you are accusing me anyway!

GoF, you need to have a word with this guy SPF, as he is using your forum to post outright untruths about others using the forum. He may be right about Jocky, but somehow I doubt it, going by Jocky's repeated posts to deny SPF's allegations. He is totally wrong about me. Surely you do not want your forum to be used as a tool by SPF, to write untruths in order to further his own agenda? I know you were on the verge of banning him and Jocky, so I am expecting you to threaten me as well. That is up to you GoF, but I would like to know why I would be banned when only defending myself against lies by that total nonentity!

By the way, I am not bothered about SPF's beliefs when it comes to East Fife, I will disagree if I disagree with them and of course agree, if I agree with them. I AM bothered about the false accusations he repeatedly puts out about me, simply because I have disagreed and that should be dealt with if he continues. He can continue to put forward his arguments, no problem, but he should be told about the accusations and that they are not on, or acceptable!

You are nowhere near being banned, so no worries there.

And SPF, EF Supporter has nothing to do with Jocky.

Did find some interesting user names under the IP though

EF supporter
St Pauli Fifer

If you say so Fan eh! I have to say though, Fan eh/SPF, you seem to have a penchant for throwing accusations at others who do not entirely agree with you.

Why are you like that? It is not achieving anything for your arguments, in fact it doesn't have any bearing on them at all, so why do it? The Jocky chap has told you many times he is not a director, but you continue to say that he is, but absolutely no proof forthcoming from you! You are now accusing me of being Jocky and obviously a director, so just name names and that will be the end of it.

The reason of course you won't do that, is because you are just making it up to try and gain support from others on the forum, when in actual fact you are broadcasting total lies! Certainly when you are accusing me anyway!

GoF, you need to have a word with this guy SPF, as he is using your forum to post outright untruths about others using the forum. He may be right about Jocky, but somehow I doubt it, going by Jocky's repeated posts to deny SPF's allegations. He is totally wrong about me. Surely you do not want your forum to be used as a tool by SPF, to write untruths in order to further his own agenda? I know you were on the verge of banning him and Jocky, so I am expecting you to threaten me as well. That is up to you GoF, but I would like to know why I would be banned when only defending myself against lies by that total nonentity!

By the way, I am not bothered about SPF's beliefs when it comes to East Fife, I will disagree if I disagree with them and of course agree, if I agree with them. I AM bothered about the false accusations he repeatedly puts out about me, simply because I have disagreed and that should be dealt with if he continues. He can continue to put forward his arguments, no problem, but he should be told about the accusations and that they are not on, or acceptable!

Efsupporter and others, don't add fuel to the offensive but mostly silly posts attacking individuals. If there is no rwply to these posts there will be nothing to come back. Be strong and don't bite by treating with the contempt it deserves ie ignore!

You are right, I know!

I also advise IGNOR SPF. He/she adds nothing to the forum and does not even attend games! I for one will not respond to any posts in the future.

supporter
Not The Other chairman

We have a former EFFC chairman who has shown concern about the current state of the club, and it looks like he would like to get involved again. This person is an extremely capable individual and a respected businessman. This person is a lifelong East Fife supporter. These sorts are like hen's teeth.
And what is the reaction of the Trust chairman?
Is it: 'Wow, something positive at last, what a piece of luck'
Or is it: 'I'll drop him a line, this is the kind of person we need onside'
Or maybe: 'His expertise can only help us with our objectives'
Or even: 'BB has good contacts that might lead us out of this mess'

Sadly it is none of these. It is: "BB is not a Trust member, and in my memory has never shown any interest in becoming a Trust member."

Wonderful

I'm grateful for the generous words here and elsewhere on the forum but the reality is that it just isn't going to happen. I think some fresh thinking on the Board could only be for the good but it is clear that for their own reasons the Board don't want my involvement, which is disappointing but there it is.

Bruce Black
I'm grateful for the generous words here and elsewhere on the forum but the reality is that it just isn't going to happen. I think some fresh thinking on the Board could only be for the good but it is clear that for their own reasons the Board don't want my involvement, which is disappointing but there it is.

Your enthusiasm has been dimmed since last week Bruce, that much is clear. Can we assume that there has been a (negative) development over the last few days which has led you to the conclusion that the board do not want your help?

supporter
Bruce Black

Your enthusiasm has been dimmed since last week Bruce, that much is clear. Can we assume that there has been a (negative) development over the last few days which has led you to the conclusion that the board do not want your help?

My position hasn't changed. But I learned that the view of the Board is that they don't want/need my involvement, simple as that. Nuff said!

Bruce Black
supporter
Bruce Black

My position hasn't changed. But I learned that the view of the Board is that they don't want/need my involvement, simple as that. Nuff said!

They may not have a choice the way things are going.

Bruce Black
supporter
Bruce Black

I'm sorry to hear that.

Not surprised whatsoever, though. Maybe buy Samantha a gift or something, as an olive branch ?