Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Worst scenes ever at New Bayview

I cant rememmber seeing such scenes, certainly not since we moved to the new Stadium. It was incredibly hostile.
For someone who has been in the game for as long, you would have thought that Billy Brown would realise that there would be some criticism of a team that hasnt won for over 3 months and couldnt muster one shot at goal in the first half. The way he behaved at half time was abysmal.
When East Fife scored Brown was making gestures at the East Fife support.
Full time was crazy too with stewards having to keep Brown and a East Fife supporter apart.
A group of fans were giving Brown the fingers etc and abuse. Then Darren Smith came along and told the fans they were entitled to their opinion as they pay their money.
I would be absolutely amazed if Brown is still there next week after this.

Re: Worst scenes ever at New Bayview

Did anyone hear what Darren was saying to the fans at the end of the game - he seems to be a pretty sensible guy?

I do feel for billy brown as he is clearly struggling to cope with the pressure of the job.

However that kind of behaviour is not acceptable - when he came out at half time he was staring aggressively at the east fife support and looked like he wanted to take us all on in a square go....

Just don't see how he can continue as managers can't behave like that.

The pressure has got way too much for him I think also. He blames everyone apart from his self.
The crazy thing is he has a go at East Fife fans for criticising the players yet he was the one who said that there was no "winning mentality" and that there was no player at the club who was capable of fighting.
One week he slates the match officials, then he turns on the players, and now he has turned on the supporters (the ever decreasing number who are willing to part with their cash). Not once does he ever admit to making any poor decisions himself.
Perhaps the issue is that Brown, who feels too good for a team like East Fife, maybe isnt quite good as the thought he was?

brown is a fanny who thinks everyone is to blame but him. get him to fuck he has brought fuck all to the fife

I couldn't believe what I witnessed today at Bayview. In previous games I've noticed Billy Brown staring at the crowd as he left the park at half time and at the end of the game. Today he lost the plot. He had a go at individuals and the sport in general and telling them that booing and slagging players was not helping. I have to agree that it doesn't help but it was really a case of the pot calling the kettle black ! Having watched his post match interviews in recent weeks he has slated the players for lack of drive, commitment, desire etc. he has said he has done all he can and that its up to the players. He has also said he isn't used to these situations.
Well I'm sorry but what is the difference between fans booing and criticizing the Manager and players and the Manager slating the players in post match interviews ? He has a 'Billy Big Time' attitude that he's too good for us. If he was that good he'd have recognised our weaknesses by the January transfer window and have used the money available to strengthen in the areas we needed strengthening. With all his experience and contacts surely he could have done a bit better than bringing in young Dale Keenan on loan from Partick Thistle - is he any better than all of the young full time players we have at the club ? When we were struggling to field a team there were two under 19's on the bench who were told before the game that they wouldn't get on and that we would play with 10 men if we had to !!!
The team and formations seem to change week on week. His decision to allow David White to play for Boness, leaving us with an unfit Bob Malcolm on the bench, was a strange one to say the least. It would seem that all is not well in the dressing room with little team spirit. He has also been to loyal to certain players for too long with some being guaranteed a game no matter how they are playing.
We are now definitely looking at the Play Offs and I personally can't see us winning the right to play in Division 2 next season. To give us the best possible chance I think we need a change of Manager - now ! If he is not suitably embarrassed by his antics today and decide to walk away, the Board should take the decision for him. He was an embarrassment to East Fife FC today !

Well said Bayviewboy,I`m still in shock at what I witnessed today.Stunning,shocking,surreal, none of these words are adequate enough to descibe Browns ridiculous behaviour.However I personally think action should be taken against Cazza, as it was her who provocatively dangled the mic within grabbing range of Delia Brown.She should be ashamed of herself.

Never have i witnessed something like that before it was surreal,i'm surprised he hasn't resignec or been sacked by now.His position is untenable now,where does he go now,fans quite rightly will target him even more.Strikes me that he's tried to blame the players and everyone else and now its all the fans fault.This mess started close season under durie when as smith says we started with 9 players and have been chasing players since.I was willing to give him this season and start again next season but not now.Go billy now and save the ckub and yourself further embarassment.

Well haven taken time to digest todays events some things never change.We lose a goal from a corner and another one from a defensive mistake.I keep saying there is no way you can win a game of football with defending like that.Not going to judge billy brown as he clearly was infuriated with what was said as he was leaving the park,and in a spur of the moment exploded.Now we have all exploded some time or other,but after a 1st half performance like that he should have vented his anger at the players.Fans have paid good money to watch that,and are surely entitled to their opinions,after all it happens at every other football ground in great britain.Question now is where do we go from here,that will be up to sid,but surely even the most optimistic east fife fan cant see a win coming any time soon,so i think a change is best all round for all concerned.Probably got 5 or 7 games to go,and a new boss might just give us a bounce as often happens.Only thing id say is i think the board is damned if they do or damned if they dont.A very sad night to be a fan of this once famous club,all this in 75 years since we won the scottish cup.

Agree with above posts. However....

Rarely have we seen such openly displayed emotions from a manager.
Anger.
Tried to boost support for the team.
Absolute disgrace, I don't think so, just a spur of the moment reaction.

Yes, I was surprised to read some of the comments from him in the newspapers last week but nice to see his passion today.

Some were shocked, no doubt, insulted by his outburst. But the fans around me applauded him.

His request (demand) was for the fans to help by backing the team,to be honest when they re-emerged they receive a rousing reception.

BB however got a round of boos from the section of the crowd he had a go at.

Second half of todays game was a huge improvement on the first.

Not sure what happens when the dust settles. He may walk but I don't think so, he'll prob dig in and see the season out.

On the bright side he did say he'd give money back if you wanted to leave.

only 3 games left pal

Penpal
Agree with above posts. However....

Rarely have we seen such openly displayed emotions from a manager.
Anger.
Tried to boost support for the team.
Absolute disgrace, I don't think so, just a spur of the moment reaction.

Yes, I was surprised to read some of the comments from him in the newspapers last week but nice to see his passion today.

Some were shocked, no doubt, insulted by his outburst. But the fans around me applauded him.

His request (demand) was for the fans to help by backing the team,to be honest when they re-emerged they receive a rousing reception.

BB however got a round of boos from the section of the crowd he had a go at.

Second half of todays game was a huge improvement on the first.

Not sure what happens when the dust settles. He may walk but I don't think so, he'll prob dig in and see the season out.

On the bright side he did say he'd give money back if you wanted to leave.

It certainly wasn`t just the section of the crowd he was having a go at that was giving him the boos.

Personally, I thought his full time reaction was just as bad.

Unfortunately I never seen his full time antics as I had fucked off home like he advised us to do.

Worst scene ever at New Bayview? NO

Tuesday night took some beating.....Bob Malcolm playing centre midfield for an hour against Stranraer

Trollhunter
Well said Bayviewboy,I`m still in shock at what I witnessed today.Stunning,shocking,surreal, none of these words are adequate enough to descibe Browns ridiculous behaviour.However I personally think action should be taken against Cazza, as it was her who provocatively dangled the mic within grabbing range of Delia Brown.She should be ashamed of herself.

That's coats-off and outside talk. Leave Cazza alone; she is East Fife through and through. I mean it.

I am glad I missed it,I went home just before half-time,was not feeling too great.I even missed the stenny goal.

Agree with most on here. But let's forget him loosing the plot for a second. Let's think football the young boy Keenan is 100% not ready to play at this level he is why we had no chance in midfield yesterday. Couldn't pass tackle, close down or dominate any one he was up against. Darren smith looks tired after about ten minutes these days. Maybe age fitness or desire not sure which. So why not play Div in beside Darren if there is no other option Malcolm at the back or ask mcbride to do a job in the middle with Div at the back and play sammi or Liam from the start. Sammi's touch was different class when he came on. Any way my point is Billy brown has shocked me by playing Keenan in a relegation fight game he's not good enough ! As for the out burst come on ? Manager ! Never! if he had a brain he could have taken the mic asked the whole crowd for silence and said. Look I am struggling here we need a win please get up off yer seats sing and try and lift the boys for the last 45 mins, he might have got somewhere. But going on like he did showed no discipline a real lack of thinking about the concequences of his actions. Unfortunatly an outburst like that means he actualy has no respect for the people who put petrol in his motor orbread on his table. if I was him I would actually look for a new career. Looking at that yesterday i walked up Past the old bayview and thought about the great times I had there and managers like god and Dave Clarke etc. Billy Brown! Billy bungling Brown GTF you are a fanny and to be honest remember if the polis had been there he may have been nicked particularly if his pish had caused someone to loose it and have a pop at the old dud that he is.