Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
BB post match on Stenny TV

You have to get on to Stennys website and watch BBs post match interview.He has lost it big style.

Re: BB post match on Stenny TV

I`ve just watched it. Thought he may have calmed down after full time but obviously not. What a sorry, sorry state of affairs.

http://www.stenhousemuirfc.com/video/

After watching that garbage i fear East Fife will be a huge hit on Youtube for all the wrong reasons.

The contempt in his eyes and voice when he gestures at someone off camera (is it Liam?)and says"there`s a supporter there!" is nothing short of disgusting.

Just watched this interview. As I have stated before everyone has there own opinion.So I say to all true EF supporters watch this and make your own mind up. My own view he should he should leave now.

he has lost the plot. all he does is criticise the players and the fans he thinks he is to good for east fife aw this ahve done things pish. he looks like a broken man and he needs to be sacked. and the sooner the better the fact our attendances have stayed about the same proves our loyalty to the club.
but this sit down and shut the fuck up attitude is killing east fife. wee smithy knows we are within our rights to be pissed off why does broony big time no. he is a good no 2 but has proved himself to be a pish manager. stenny have big centre halfs what a load of bollocks . clutchin at straws springs to mind. pacin aboot in that interview like a madman

Before Brown arrived there was constant flak at certain players last season regardless how they played so i can see what Browns saying about the fans BUT this is not all the fans. The most annoying thing is when he says "their a decent bunch of boys and do as their told" ...so now i know that its his tactics to punt long ball after long ball all game.

i think before the start of next season East Fife should have all the players,staff and fans assemble at the stadium and get everyone united in what we want for the season ahead.

The guys a f*cking maniac. Pacing about like he's about to go 10 rounds with Mike Tyson.

Brown as no clue how to manage a football club after watching that video im angry and disgusted with his comments

Fuck off Brown

Just watched the interview. Found it sad to be honest. Looks like a man on the edge. He needs to go now for the sake of his own health.

That was painful viewing. He's a frustrated man right now like the rest of us and he is correct when he refers to the disgraceful attitude of a section of our fans but that I'm afraid is something he's not going to change.
He does look like he's ready to chuck it though. It's a crap state of affairs.

The worst thing is that I don't disagree with what Brown is saying. We have a number of supporters who are eager to criticize and berate the players at every given opportunity.

It's a catch 22. The fans are angry because of our league position and our poor run of games, but the players NEED our support. Not criticism.

I know that I'll be there on saturday. Let's just get there and support the team from start to finish.

Brown really does look like a man possessed.

Very sad to watch.
I think all East Fife supporters need to have a long think about the closing statement by Mr Brown regardless of how we feel about his performance as manager and his antics on Saturday.

"what they are doing is shouting at the players - I was told about this before I came"

"the directors of this club are keeping this club going".

"All they get and all I gets and all the players get is abuse"

"start getting behind the club, that's all I'm asking."

"Its a decent club with decent people running it and they are trying very hard to make it a success and all they get is abuse and its got to stop".

"people putting money into the club get criticized and its not good" "They have to change or they'll loose their club altogether".

So East Fife "supporters"..... you've just had a kick up that arse....and quite rightly so. How are you going to respond?

Finbar Saunders
The contempt in his eyes and voice when he gestures at someone off camera (is it Liam?)and says"there`s a supporter there!" is nothing short of disgusting.

nonsense.....that's not what I viewed.....but then I've not got they same agenda as you.

How are we going to respond???

With more booing

Pretty insulting to the vast majority of supporters who do not criticise and who follow the team all over scotland.

The dressing room must be a scary, scary place....

Criticising the players like that in public must make them feel like shit....

He never once took any responsibility for the stink we are in - all to do with the supporters and the players not being good enough...

Pretty obvious what needs to be done.

edinburgh effc
Pretty insulting to the vast majority of supporters who do not criticise and who follow the team all over scotland.

The dressing room must be a scary, scary place....

Criticising the players like that in public must make them feel like shit....

He never once took any responsibility for the stink we are in - all to do with the supporters and the players not being good enough...

Pretty obvious what needs to be done.

if the vast majority of supporters are willing to tolerate the barracking from the negative fans, then yes, you are guilty too.

And if you are insulted by BBs comments, then I think you are looking to be insulted.

Supporting a loosing team isn't easy. Keeping your frustrations to one side is not easy. Choosing not to exercise your right to complain is not easy.

Noisy Crossbar

"what they are doing is shouting at the players - I was told about this before I came"

"Its a decent club with decent people running it and they are trying very hard to make it a success and all they get is abuse and its got to stop".

"people putting money into the club get criticized and its not good" "They have to change or they'll loose their club altogether".

So East Fife "supporters"..... you've just had a kick up that arse....and quite rightly so. How are you going to respond?

Well said

I heard no barracking yesterday - that is a complete exaggeration.

A minority complained which is completely understandable given the run we are on - this happens at every club, even successful ones - BB needs to grow up and behave with a bit more maturity and dignity, rather than distance himself from the problem.

The supporters that I know (many lifetime friends and others that I know attend almost every game) do not criticise and have been putting money into the club for 30 - 40 years at least.

I do not agree that our players are any worse than the other teams - Bobby Barr is recognised as one of the best players in the league, Paul McManus was excellent at Brechin and so on....

Brown has no right to rant and insult the fans and players like that in an interview with an opposition club.

Noisy Crossbar

I'm guessing you'll want us to shut up, sit on those said arses and accept the mediocrity and dross put in front of us? Sorry. What does the manager and the Board of Directors actually want for this sorry state of affairs? A medal? Three cheers and a hip hip hooray? If they cannot accept criticism and take RESPONSIBILITY for where we are as a club right now then they have no right to be in the positions they hold.

As for losing the club, I think you'll find it will not only be lost in Division 3 but dead and buried too.

He pretty much says that the players are shite compared to the opposition in the league and that's what we've got to accept and all he has to work with.

Why wasn't some of the Rangers' money used to match our peers' standard of player ?

I've kept shut on BB so far, normally being one that supports a manager getting a fair chance and feeling it should be 18 months before we judge a manager so he can build his own team.But no more, in that interview he shows pure contempt for the fans and the players. He'd have been as well just coming right out and saying 'The players are gash, it's no my fault' as that seems to be the point he tries to make when answering every question. This big time attitude he has of 'I've been places and done things', your impressing nobody. Doubt future employers will be impressed when the see a manger who seems to loose the puggy when times get tough. It looks like he lacks tactical knowledge and plans to get through by just bollocking the players at every turn.

Keep saying you can go somewhere else? Well go then you won't be missed.

Grim Reaper
Noisy Crossbar

I'm guessing you'll want us to shut up, sit on those said arses and accept the mediocrity and dross put in front of us? Sorry. What does the manager and the Board of Directors actually want for this sorry state of affairs? A medal? Three cheers and a hip hip hooray? If they cannot accept criticism and take RESPONSIBILITY for where we are as a club right now then they have no right to be in the positions they hold.

As for losing the club, I think you'll find it will not only be lost in Division 3 but dead and buried too.

Got to admire your username as it completely sums you up in 11 characters. Quite a feat. Yes it's shit being an East Fife fan right now but I've got to ask, being a curious person by nature, if you posted under the same name after we beat Dunfermline and Aberdeen in the League Cup last season (yes it really was as recent as that). I repeat that it's shit being a Fifer right now, we are all feeling the pain.

His rant has also reached the Hearts fans forum.

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/126970-billy-brown-taking-a-flaky/

I have been supportive of Billy Brown but I'm afraid after yesterday and then watching just now what can only be described as a horror show, I have to say that I am of the opinion that he should be relieved of his duties.

I am an East Fife season ticket holder and have never booed or criticised any of our players. I know there are some fans at Bayview who can be tough on players but when I go to other grounds they too always have a small element like that too. I remember the stick Mark Roberts was getting from his fans at Ayr earlier on in the season. Thats football and players need to be professional.

The majority of East Fife fans are always supportive of their team. They love their club. As everyone knows there isnt much money in the area, but they pay week after week. There are brilliant fans who hire a coach to every away game. In fact its the fans that keep the club running. They volunteer doing lots of jobs.

I thought we were lucky to get Brown and that it was a really good move. However I have to admit that I was wrong. I trust that the board will now take action.

As a manager, in his own right, he has been nowhere and has done nothing...He has categorically not been places as a manager - he needs to admit that to himself.

He seems to think that he is doing us a favour by being here - before he came he did not have a position and he is the one taking our money out of the club.

He has got no right to look down his nose at the supporters, our players and our club.

Ultimately, it is he who has to take responsibility for the position we are in - that is what he is paid to do....

He has the absolute cheek to say that Fergie and Mourinho could not do a better job than him and that it is the players who should be self-motivating themselves.

He must leave as soon as possible as he is embarrassing the club, de-motivating the players and insulting the fans....

jimbob
I have been supportive of Billy Brown but I'm afraid after yesterday and then watching just now what can only be described as a horror show, I have to say that I am of the opinion that he should be relieved of his duties.

I am an East Fife season ticket holder and have never booed or criticised any of our players. I know there are some fans at Bayview who can be tough on players but when I go to other grounds they too always have a small element like that too. I remember the stick Mark Roberts was getting from his fans at Ayr earlier on in the season. Thats football and players need to be professional.

The majority of East Fife fans are always supportive of their team. They love their club. As everyone knows there isnt much money in the area, but they pay week after week. There are brilliant fans who hire a coach to every away game. In fact its the fans that keep the club running. They volunteer doing lots of jobs.

I thought we were lucky to get Brown and that it was a really good move. However I have to admit that I was wrong. I trust that the board will now take action.

Good post.

jimbob

Agree - week in, week out, year in, year out you see the club volunteers giving up their own time to serve the club they love for no monetary rewards.

This clown turns up, under-achieves and then has the cheek to suggest that if we don't get behind the club the club will not be there in future.

He has no right to say that to the people who have been with the club for years and who have kept it going whilst he was "being places and doing things".

Please go.

edinburgh effc
As a manager, in his own right, he has been nowhere and has done nothing...He has categorically not been places as a manager - he needs to admit that to himself.

He seems to think that he is doing us a favour by being here - before he came he did not have a position and he is the one taking our money out of the club.

He has got no right to look down his nose at the supporters, our players and our club.

Ultimately, it is he who has to take responsibility for the position we are in - that is what he is paid to do....

He has the absolute cheek to say that Fergie and Mourinho could not do a better job than him and that it is the players who should be self-motivating themselves.

He must leave as soon as possible as he is embarrassing the club, de-motivating the players and insulting the fans....

These are very good points. Well said.

St Pauli Fifer
He pretty much says that the players are shite compared to the opposition in the league and that's what we've got to accept and all he has to work with.

Why wasn't some of the Rangers' money used to match our peers' standard of player ?

The rangers money is not available to brown. It was tied up in a 1 year fixed interest bond.

Just watched it too ! What a totally inept and embarassing attempt to explain some of the poorest performances EF fans have had to endure in many a year. What on earth is he on about, I sit at the sea wall end away from the tunnel and to be fair don't hear what is said to the players going up the tunnel, but if you speak to fans of Rangers, Celtic Hibs etc big clubs where often large sections of support boo the team if they are not doing the job they are paid to do. What a load of tripe calling us for everything, blaming us and the players, "we've got what we've got...... honestly what a dud and by the way his total lack of ability to express his frustration in any logical or structured manner, may well be half his problem. He has obviously been used to someone else dong the talking, while I expect he got the cones out and put the kettle on. I have never disliked any of our managers as I understand that being the EF boss is never going to be easy. But him..... He disgusts me, oh and by the way only a season ago we were beating Aberdeen away, the Pars and nearly turned over Kille some of the very men that did that were on the park yesterday. He honestly can not be allowed to continue, and by the way if he leaves and bad mouths us all we have to say is. OK he got some flak but look at the results. That can not be argued against. I also wonder if we would get more out of the lads if Sir Alex was in the job for a week ...... Now that was the most stupid thing he will ever have said, what a fool hope he has a decent pension plan sorted out as I can't see any club giving him a chance after that. Oh and by the way don't know if you ever heard Stan Collymore a few weeks ago talking about the worst experience of his football career it was when he was at Bradford and Jim Jefferies was the manager, he said the training and tactics employed by the management team were a total joke, training was a farce run by an idiot who had no clue.... He didn't name him but have a guess who he was talking about........

Noisy crossbar
St Pauli Fifer

The rangers money is not available to brown. It was tied up in a 1 year fixed interest bond.

My point is, why then if the squad is so poor as Brown says ?

The quality of squad is not up to it, so why bank most of the money to then dice with relegation/get relegated ?

Brown makes it clear (that it's not his fault) that the quality of squad matches our league position - nearly bottom.

It's now made the Hibs and Dunfermline sites and apparently some commentator at The Masters in Augusta has been tweeting about it.

Just as well some disgruntled Mag tried to twat a police horse after the Tyne-Wear derby or it would likely have made Sky Sports by now.

Edited to add...

Madder Than Billy Big-Time?

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/newcastle-fan-fights-police-horse-post-sunderland-defeat-pictures-video/

Ewan Murray who is head golf reporter for the Guardian and Sky Sports commentator at Augusta has tweeted a link to the Stenhousemuir website "rant".

Apparently the winner of the Masters, when interviewed will be asked what he thinks of the situation at Bayview.

KotS
It's now made the Hibs and Dunfermline sites and apparently some commentator at The Masters in Augusta has been tweeting about it.

Just as well some disgruntled Mag tried to twat a police horse after the Tyne-Wear derby or it would likely have made Sky Sports by now.

Edited to add...

Madder Than Billy Big-Time?

http://www.101greatgoals.com/blog/newcastle-fan-fights-police-horse-post-sunderland-defeat-pictures-video/

Read the posts on the Hearts forum. They are all saying its like something off Only an Excuse!!
One Hearts fan remarks about the contrast between the professionalism of Martyn Corrigan, the young Stenhousemuir manager, and Billy Brown.

All over the Hibs forum as well.One Hibby following up the "I can go somewhere else" line with,"aye Carstairs!".This dinosaur has become the laughing stock of Scottish football heaping further embarassment on our club.

"I cannae motivate the players." Well what the fuck are you doing as a football manager? Motivating the players is YOUR job Mr Brown.

to my shame i havent been to a game this year, but the club is in one helluva state.
brown saying he cannot motivate the team, they arent up for fight, pathetic.
i didnt need to come here, well i think the chances of him getting another manager job have diminished with this outburst.
time to fall on your sword and go billy

I've supported East Fife for years, home and away, from finishing 3rd bottom of the 3rd division, to winning the league, being promoted to the 1st, from the lows of getting pumped up at Elgin to the highs of winning at Pittodire. Everyone who supports the clubs will know the same faces that follow the team the length of the country week after week, spending a huge amount of time and money over the years, and for a lot of us, that's time and money we don't have a hell of a lot of. Everyone knows that a lot of supporters have and continue to give their time to work for the club in some capacity. I've never shouted abuse at an East Fife player or manager and neither have the vast majority of the support from what I've seen. Billy Brown's ridiculous rant is an insult to me and every other East Fife supporter who has done nothing but support this club, well before BB got here and will continue well after he's "gone somewhere else".

I appreciate that he's frustrated and is at least showing a bit of passion and in some way I've got more symapthy for him after seeing the video.

I think we'd all admit that the squad which was assembled in the summer had some serious deficiencies but the reality is that, at the turn of the year, we were looking in good shape to make a promotion play-off challenge and now, due to the worst run I've ever seen an East Fife team go on, we're staring relegation in the face. We have more than a few decent players at this club who were capable of avoiding this mess. Billy Brown simply has to take some respobsibility for what's happened. You can bet he'd be willing to take the credit if we'd made the play-offs and won promotion!

Constantly telling the players they're not good enough and that he's basically just trying to polish a turd has probably destroyed what little confidence is left in this team.

The facts are that with his rants, he's made his position completely untenable and he's proven beyond doubt that he's simply not the man to lead this team into the relegation play-offs or wherever we end up next year.

I'm sorry Billy, but as well as running the players down in public, you've been shown to be pretty tactically inept all to often as well.

That is a good post in parts Bob. The reality is that Billy Brown may have made mistakes in team selection/tactics and that is his responsibility, but he also needed the fans to help out with as much support as possible, which in fairness most fans have done - but. Trouble is, we have an element at Bayview and on this site (ones that don't even attend the matches), who have for years hounded players and managers even during seasons when we have done relatively well! They have hounded players who won a league for us out of the club. Hounded out a manager who won the league for us! They say that it was Willie Grays money that won the league for us as their argument, but are oblivious to the fact it was Willie Grays money that brought that manager and those players to Bayview and they produced the goods, but still proceeded thereafter to hound them out of the club!

Now we have a manager that was looking for desperately needed support from the fans during this bad period but unfortunately, the bams were loudest and they look like they are going to achieve their aim of getting rid of yet another manager!

I believe he has to leave now, unless the fans respond to his pleas and give him and the players real backing for at least one more game next Saturday and see if it can make a difference.

By the way, the fans that do the hounding can't be following the team the length and breadth of the country Bob, as I don't hear the vitriol at away games? So Bill Brown's mistake also, is that he hasn't been specific enough in directing his comments at those responsible. But that's what happens when people are pushed to the limit and finally break! We all do it when we are angry. Some though, think that they have more right to say what they feel and others are denied that right! Some might call those types selfish and self-righteous?

Well that Billy Brown interview is something else. The man is seething! But saying about putting money in? What about the supporters? Paying to go home and away, season tickets, travel expenses, programmes, food, lost wages, the actual heartache of your club going downhill. Surely if the team were performing the atmosphere wouldn't be as toxic as it is right now. The 14/15 game winless streak is atrocious! How can form like that be blamed on the supporters, surely if half the premadonnas in the team out effort in this mess wouldn't be around!!

Don't even know what else to say.
I know there is an incredible amount of negativity always bouncing about but how can the supporters be blamed for all of this? The area is rife with people struggling to get by and a place of mass unemployment! So for the regular supporters who turn up week in week out and watch sub standard football surely they are allowed an opinion, we will no doubt travel down to ayr and pay the £16 gate fee to go with a programme and probably a bovril as the Scottish Summer still hasn't come upon us. So that along with travel expenses that leaves us spending a small football as it will not just be one person attending it will be whole family's or fathers and children.

So once a large proportion of the weekly wage has been used up going to the survival game we are then subjected to half arsed displays by a selection of players and I feel have every right to be aggrieved cause we are paying out for not a lot of product.

Surely the notion behind Billy Browns outburst are in good faith but could the club not notice this is severely damaging, all the work the supporters trust has done to build bridges between the club and the supporters

I would now suggest that if the supporters feel strongly enough instead of venting any abuse towards the players why don't you stage a protest and re mount the mound??? That way the players don't feel aggrieved yet the point of your distaste towards the clubs playing is seen by the club due to the large amount of fans showing their point.

Just an idea to show the club the fans are the only reason they are in business.

I think the plot has truly been lost.
Billy Brown is here for wages, glory and as a stepping stone to better things.

Now there will be no glory and I really can't see better things for him now.
So that only leaves him here for the wages. East Fife fans pay to come in, pay to watch an unmotivated team with a manager that is not committed to the club.
The players must know that he is not committed, that it is all self interest, and that must rub off. Apathy is infectious.

HE is bringing the club down not the supporters, he is not able to do his job yet he is still here and still gets paid.

The paying supporters get abuse from someone unable to fulfill his job, that has to be wrong.
Comes to the saying "a bad workman always blames his tools".

@Scott Young I've seen you at all the games mate and feel your pain, but please stop using big words you don't know the meaning of.

Yours sincerely, Jeb.

With the squad Billy has had a think he's actually done a half decent job if u ask me. If we build the team round Sloan we still have a chance of the play-offs.

Billy Brown needs the nut stuck on him, wee tosser!

A say bring in someone like Jim Jeffries and get this squad sorted man we're an absolute mess.

Noisy Crossbar

"well are the fans going to back the team ?"
Yes he is agitated but is it because he is putting a lot to it and getting nowhere.
Change it around a bit how would feel if you were getting barracked every week, game after game, you would or could react?.

Brown covered more ground in that interview than the team has all season
Hes barking and should go NOW

Brown has links with the Rovers and has publicly spoken off his affinity with them. He's probably doing this on purpose to ruin our club.

Bob Agg
I've supported East Fife for years, home and away, from finishing 3rd bottom of the 3rd division, to winning the league, being promoted to the 1st, from the lows of getting pumped up at Elgin to the highs of winning at Pittodire. Everyone who supports the clubs will know the same faces that follow the team the length of the country week after week, spending a huge amount of time and money over the years, and for a lot of us, that's time and money we don't have a hell of a lot of. Everyone knows that a lot of supporters have and continue to give their time to work for the club in some capacity. I've never shouted abuse at an East Fife player or manager and neither have the vast majority of the support from what I've seen. Billy Brown's ridiculous rant is an insult to me and every other East Fife supporter who has done nothing but support this club, well before BB got here and will continue well after he's "gone somewhere else".

I appreciate that he's frustrated and is at least showing a bit of passion and in some way I've got more symapthy for him after seeing the video.

I think we'd all admit that the squad which was assembled in the summer had some serious deficiencies but the reality is that, at the turn of the year, we were looking in good shape to make a promotion play-off challenge and now, due to the worst run I've ever seen an East Fife team go on, we're staring relegation in the face. We have more than a few decent players at this club who were capable of avoiding this mess. Billy Brown simply has to take some respobsibility for what's happened. You can bet he'd be willing to take the credit if we'd made the play-offs and won promotion!

Constantly telling the players they're not good enough and that he's basically just trying to polish a turd has probably destroyed what little confidence is left in this team.

The facts are that with his rants, he's made his position completely untenable and he's proven beyond doubt that he's simply not the man to lead this team into the relegation play-offs or wherever we end up next year.

I'm sorry Billy, but as well as running the players down in public, you've been shown to be pretty tactically inept all to often as well.

Great post.

Agree completely. What other club would accept this level of performance from a so called manager. His antics on Saturday merely show him for what he is . However having said that questions must be asked of the board, what aspirations do they have for the club, what is their vision? Seems to me they also fall into the "totally useless" category.

STENNY 2-1 Q.O.S.