Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
More bad press thanks to Billy Brown

DAILY RECORD

Billy Brown played the wrong 'bawl' game with his post match rant

THE East Fife boss slated the club's supporters after Saturday's defeat to Stenhousemuir. But he was wrong to pick on the paying public.

By David McCarthy

DID you see Billy Brown’s aftermatch interview on Saturday?

Chances are you didn’t but if you want to log in to the Stenhousemuir website you will find the East Fife manager’s reaction to his team losing 2-1 at the hands of the Warriors.

It is a study of a man completely at the end of his tether and unravelling before our eyes in the aftermath of a defeat. He and his East Fife team had been slaughtered by his own fans but Brown, below, doesn’t do politically correct soundbites.

He ripped into those supporters, claiming their criticism of young part-time footballers who play for two bob was bang out of order.

I’ve known Billy a long, long time. Since he and Jim Jefferies were the managerial team at Falkirk and I was the local reporter at the Falkirk Herald, in fact. It didn’t make for pleasant viewing. He is great company yet has always been a spiky little so and so but I’ll tell you something – he loves his football and he knows the game.

But does that make his comments at the end of that match right? Not in my book.

It was yet another example of people in the game thinking they know better than those they need to sustain it – the paying public.

I’ve no doubt Billy is hugely frustrated because he will be working his backside off to make things better at New Bayview and that having to work with players of inferior quality to those he’s had at Falkirk, Hearts, Bradford City, Kilmarnock and Hibs throws up challenges supporters don’t see.

But you can’t tell them to stay away if they don’t like it. If every supporter took that option where would we be?

The bottom line is football is littered with people who believe they can tell supporters what to think, what to feel and what to watch.

Anyone who hasn’t played the game at a decent level is open to the “show us your medals” mentality of players and managers. I’ve lost count of the number of times irate managers have hit me with that kind of stuff.

My response to them is: “How many Oscars has Barry Norman won?”

Re: More bad press thanks to Billy Brown

Excellent article in my opinion.
Sid and co I really hope you read this and take note that clubs dont run when there is no fans at all.

Well said David McCarthy. Seems that everyone apart from Collumbine can see that Brown has to go.

Mad Man
Well said David McCarthy. Seems that everyone apart from Collumbine can see that Brown has to go.

eh...posts on this forum suggest that Brown has the backing from a section of east fife fans.

We don't know the opinion of the majority of east fife fans as they choose not to post on this forum.

Don't think you can use the term "everyone" with any credibility.

Ok in an unscientific sample based on those that post on this forum, the majority of East Fife fans here want Billy Brown sacked. Thing is, even outsiders can now see this.

I still haven't heard any compelling evidence that Brown should still be in charge. Can you provide some?

Total shite Mad Man! For a start, how many usernames are from totally different people and how many are by the same person?

The stupid idea that this forum is representative of the East Fife support is rubbish! Count the number of usernames and even if they ARE all different people, then how many supporters do they add up to? Very, very much less than 50 I reckon.

And who the fuck is David McCarthy? Not one of you probably ever heard of him and now you are saying how right he is? How do you know he is not a Wraith admirer and is sticking the boot in? NEVER trust the press!

It looks like this anti-Billy Brown thing is being driven on this forum by Mad Man and supporter. Who the fuck are they? Are they Wraith supporters sticking the boot in too? Who actually knows? As far as I can see, nothing would delight these two more, than to see EAst Fife get beat on Saturday, because they are hell bent on making it difficult for the manager and the players!

So EF Supporter, the anti-Brown thing is being driven by a mere two on this forum? You should go back and check the numerous threads on this topic since last week and you'll find plenty of others. And I guess the mods could check the username thing. Unless of course you're paranoid and think it's some conspiracy cooked up by a couple of Raith fans or Fifers with over active minds.

But never mind. Like Collumbine, you keep yer head in the sand.

How many threads then and how many different usernames? Representative of the East Fife support?

NO WAY!

EF Supporter
How many threads then and how many different usernames? Representative of the East Fife support?

NO WAY!

Hey, EF Supporter, are you Billy Brown in disguise? You are as quick as he is to lose your temper, you lash out at people, and you struggle to tell the difference between a majority and a minority.
Let me guess - you've been places and done things, haven't you? I think you are too good for this forum. I'm worried you could go somewhere else.