Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
E.F.F.C

Every Fife Fan Counts

One day the board of directors of the company appoint a new manager .The reason for this being that the current manager has to leave due to ill health.

They decide to give the opportunity to one who has had several depute posts with companies who operated at a higher level and a slightly bigger profile. After all this person has been places and done things.

The new manager begins their role as the company is at a low ebb but with the potential of stability, hopefully some progression but definitely to avoid a fall in sales figures.

It is believed the new manager has very little money to entice new workers , but the recent boost of a large order against a larger “ firm” has provided some cash. This along with the contacts the manager has built up at other companies over the years would hopefully provide some prospect of new faces at the company.

Now the customers of this struggling company have expectations, it is believed the majority of whom consider effort and pride, along with some talent to be sufficient and are happy with their lot.

They are in the main a realistic bunch and would love the company to expand and move up in the world. But on the odd occasion they are delighted as the company excels itself, other times it holds it own and as with everything else they also have their bad days.

As with all companies there are some customers who are never happy with what is on offer, always something to moan about and can always do better themselves. They can be vocal and sometimes cutting in their dissent.

Lastly there are those who cannot see anything wrong with the current situation and defend its position to the hilt.

Luckily enough there are several volunteers and staff who are hardworking and generous with their time invested. However it would all be for nothing if it were not for the loyal customers who year after year devote one day a week to invest their hard earned cash into the company. Some travelling many miles, with their families at a large cost just to support the company.

This company is also located in an area in which could do with some development and its customers some respite from the harsh local economy.

But alas the new manager has declared that they have not been able to motivate the workers, indeed the workers lack inspiration and the performance has fallen below what the customers feel is acceptable.

The manager often publicly claiming that it is the customers fault, they keep moaning and shouting, it’s the workers fault as they are just not good enough and struggling, other companies are better !!. The same mistakes appear to be occurring, basic errors and confidence is low.

The end result being that the loyal customers of many a year have had enough, thrown the towel in and look to try something new, the occasional away day or fair weather customer is no longer interested. The company is looking into the abyss, but maybe it can still be saved.

With only a few weeks of trading to go, vital trade is lost to rivals from the South west, some customers vent their anger towards the workers, the manager in return vents his at them, then again through the media. Such claims as managing greats the likes of A Sugar and R Branson would not even be able to turn things around !!

The board remain loyal to their manager, no apology appears to have been issued.

Some common ground is reached with a meeting between customers and the board for a fresh approach and new ideas, maybe it is the last throw of the dice.
Then the manager uses the media once more to reiterate what has been said before.

What would Mr Branson or Mr Sugar do – most likely keep their thoughts about the standard of their workforce to themselves, perhaps they would maybe shoulder at least some of the blame. Make efforts to see what can be done to improve, maybe some self reflection ? Probably shelter the workers to ease some of the tension.

Maybe other companies have more talented individuals but they know that this does not always make them a better team, a better team comes from leadership, organisation and discipline, which allows the talent to flourish.

They would however know that you cant bite the hand that feeds you, that the customer is always right (even when wrong). So what if some constantly bicker, at least they are still paying customers, maybe they have a point, even if the manager doesn’t agree with them, they cant afford any more to stay away.

The voices of dissent grow louder not because they are any greater in number than before, just that there are hardly any customers left in such a big ¾ empty showroom.

What happens to the company now – ONLY THE CUSTOMER CAN DECIDE !!

Re: E.F.F.C

The customer should wait until the eve of a massive game and attempt to stir up disharmony amongst other customers because that will boost morale for the game ahead.

Of course, a totally unbiased load of shite! Mind you, I only fast read it cos I couldn't be bothered reading all that crap. I wonder how long you spent at the keyboard writing it? Hard tae believe somebody could be bothered and for why??

I thought it was an interesting read and very accurate.

Aye...good read, don't agree with it all but nevertheless good effort.
I'll be in the south west on Saturday to see what's on offer!
Maybe we can claim back some of the trade we've lost.

Jeez!
Of course, a totally unbiased load of shite! Mind you, I only fast read it cos I couldn't be bothered reading all that crap. I wonder how long you spent at the keyboard writing it? Hard tae believe somebody could be bothered and for why??

Wind yer neck in jocky !!

DPH
I thought it was an interesting read and very accurate.

Agree