Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Todays Beyond the Breeze Block

A few folk who couln't make the game have been asking about todays programme article. For those folk here it is. PS Despite the result to day I stand by everything in it. Some big games coming up. Lets stick together.

Beyond the Breeze Block
Today dear people nothing really matters out with the stony grey walls of this dear place we call New Bayview. I can’t bring myself to pretend that anything in the last few weeks has mattered more than how the manager, the team, the fans, have finally responded to the worst of times in the best of ways.
The battle cry of the gaffer has been heeded by one and all as combative performances and fantastic support against Alloa and Queen of the South have proven. This club never has done things the easy way and the people of this area have never been handed success on a plate.
East Fife is built on the efforts of the men and women who howked the black gold or brought home the catch facing death and danger every day. The Kirkland Road end at Old Bayview was formed from concrete tank traps that once protected this area from Nazi invasion. We’ve had more than our fair share of economic kicks in the teeth and too many young and not so young lives’ wasted by drink and drugs.
At times the area and its people have had a complex relationship with the club. It is important to us so some get frustrated and talk it down or take it out on players. Others are apathetic. It’s not unique to Methil and its environs but just ask anyone who has been brought up here if a good slagging off is seen as a sign of affection. In football terms these attitudes are not a recent phenomenon, as the legendary Bertie Miller told me on a visit to Bayview a few years ago. Most have ignored negativity over the years but some like the Fife cult hero Willie Broon have reacted and got into the odd spot of bother. It is not healthy thing and negativity can be a hard cycle to break. Perhaps the managers’ verbal Exocet missiles were the gift that has finally given us the power “To see oursels as ithers see us!”
Whatever the outcome today I hope we continue to see the predominance of positive attitudes, encouraging support and effective coaching in the club. As the great Bill Shankly said “A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure you are”. So lets do our bit again to help the players believe and make sure that they are the best.

Choose Fife...

Choose Tommy Fitzpatrick, the first East Fife Captain to lift a trophy. Choose Dom Currie finishing a shift at the Wellesley Pit to face Celtic in the Scottish Cup, Choose Doctor Deucher coming off a nightshift to bang in a goal at Cappielow. Choose Henry Morris’s Scotland hat- trick. Choose having to graft for every wee success, choose getting knocked down and getting up and laughing it off, choose Div Muir playing 75 minutes at Pittodrie with a dead leg and still being man of the match.
Choose marching on the ground, and standing on the mound to save our club, choose cycling to Glasgow for the cup final.
Choose Cazza FM, 1938 Travel, BURGER trains, planes and automobiles; choose £42 to Dumfries via Carlisle. Choose Big George’s “WE SHALL PREVAIL”, choose My Garden Shed. Choose Davie McLean, Jerry Dawson, Scott Symon, Davie Clark, Steve Archibald. Choose Mr David Baikie our most recent championship manager.

Choose winning 3-2 at Gretna, a last minute promotion, Craig O’Reillys Love Street wonder goal. Choose Carpets not Lino. Choose a team of Jonny Smarts, Love tearing them apart, Robert Scott scoring goals for fun, choose beating the Pars. ..regularly.

I chose Fife. I chose not to subscribe to the warped green blue monopoly that strangles Scottish football and defines a fan by a TV subscription and the purchase of a replica shirt. I chose not to care about what Man City or Arsenal or Chelsea are doing. I chose to stand alongside the folk that keep us going not for cash or glory or fame but because it’s in the blood and the brain and the heart.
I chose one fantastic high for every hundred lows and loved every minute. I chose East Fife Football Club.
See you next season
Love and Peace
Sparky

Re: Todays Beyond the Breeze Block

Sparky
A few folk who couln't make the game have been asking about todays programme article. For those folk here it is. PS Despite the result to day I stand by everything in it. Some big games coming up. Lets stick together.

Beyond the Breeze Block
Today dear people nothing really matters out with the stony grey walls of this dear place we call New Bayview. I can’t bring myself to pretend that anything in the last few weeks has mattered more than how the manager, the team, the fans, have finally responded to the worst of times in the best of ways.
The battle cry of the gaffer has been heeded by one and all as combative performances and fantastic support against Alloa and Queen of the South have proven. This club never has done things the easy way and the people of this area have never been handed success on a plate.
East Fife is built on the efforts of the men and women who howked the black gold or brought home the catch facing death and danger every day. The Kirkland Road end at Old Bayview was formed from concrete tank traps that once protected this area from Nazi invasion. We’ve had more than our fair share of economic kicks in the teeth and too many young and not so young lives’ wasted by drink and drugs.
At times the area and its people have had a complex relationship with the club. It is important to us so some get frustrated and talk it down or take it out on players. Others are apathetic. It’s not unique to Methil and its environs but just ask anyone who has been brought up here if a good slagging off is seen as a sign of affection. In football terms these attitudes are not a recent phenomenon, as the legendary Bertie Miller told me on a visit to Bayview a few years ago. Most have ignored negativity over the years but some like the Fife cult hero Willie Broon have reacted and got into the odd spot of bother. It is not healthy thing and negativity can be a hard cycle to break. Perhaps the managers’ verbal Exocet missiles were the gift that has finally given us the power “To see oursels as ithers see us!”
Whatever the outcome today I hope we continue to see the predominance of positive attitudes, encouraging support and effective coaching in the club. As the great Bill Shankly said “A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure you are”. So lets do our bit again to help the players believe and make sure that they are the best.

Choose Fife...

Choose Tommy Fitzpatrick, the first East Fife Captain to lift a trophy. Choose Dom Currie finishing a shift at the Wellesley Pit to face Celtic in the Scottish Cup, Choose Doctor Deucher coming off a nightshift to bang in a goal at Cappielow. Choose Henry Morris’s Scotland hat- trick. Choose having to graft for every wee success, choose getting knocked down and getting up and laughing it off, choose Div Muir playing 75 minutes at Pittodrie with a dead leg and still being man of the match.
Choose marching on the ground, and standing on the mound to save our club, choose cycling to Glasgow for the cup final.
Choose Cazza FM, 1938 Travel, BURGER trains, planes and automobiles; choose £42 to Dumfries via Carlisle. Choose Big George’s “WE SHALL PREVAIL”, choose My Garden Shed. Choose Davie McLean, Jerry Dawson, Scott Symon, Davie Clark, Steve Archibald. Choose Mr David Baikie our most recent championship manager.

Choose winning 3-2 at Gretna, a last minute promotion, Craig O’Reillys Love Street wonder goal. Choose Carpets not Lino. Choose a team of Jonny Smarts, Love tearing them apart, Robert Scott scoring goals for fun, choose beating the Pars. ..regularly.

I chose Fife. I chose not to subscribe to the warped green blue monopoly that strangles Scottish football and defines a fan by a TV subscription and the purchase of a replica shirt. I chose not to care about what Man City or Arsenal or Chelsea are doing. I chose to stand alongside the folk that keep us going not for cash or glory or fame but because it’s in the blood and the brain and the heart.
I chose one fantastic high for every hundred lows and loved every minute. I chose East Fife Football Club.
See you next season
Love and Peace
Sparky

I'm going to get that "choose fife" piece tattooed on my back. It's fa king brilliant.

Thanks, Inspired partly by Irvine Welsh but more importantly by the East Fife family.

Stirring stuff. Problem is, I don't recognise any link between most of what you have said and the shambles that is called East Fife today. Right down to the strips the players wear. There is nothing at the present-day club that makes me proud. Nothing.

I chose East Fife too, but I didn't choose them because I was rejecting Celtic or Rangers. I chose them because they were my local team and they could play a bit of football, and had real ambition. Not now. Not any longer. What has happened to this club is genuinely sad. The East Fife I chose doesn't exist any longer. It's just a name, passed on.

Sparky

Beyond the Breeze Block

Choose Fife...

See you next season
Love and Peace
Sparky

Brilliant piece Sparky. Makes me proud to be a Fifer.

fan
I chose them because they were my local team and they could play a bit of football, and had real ambition. Not now. Not any longer. What has happened to this club is genuinely sad. The East Fife I chose doesn't exist any longer. It's just a name, passed on.

Interesting reply. How long have you followed EFFC? Can you clarify?

I have supported East Fife for 40 years, and on every occasion like today, I've been there, supporting for all I was worth, and quite often sick with nerves. Today, I didn't go, and I am surprised at how straightforward this was. No agonising about my decision, no last minute change of heart. I am very down about the result, but all I can see ahead is another ten years like the last ten years, going nowhere. The game's a bogey.

Brilliant peice Sparky, only the real supporters fully understand what it means. No doubt I'll now get told I'm a fanny by the boo boys.

Ian L
Brilliant peice Sparky, only the real supporters fully understand what it means. No doubt I'll now get told I'm a fanny by the boo boys.

I've never booed East Fife in my life. But if you think there is such a thing as a real fan who is superior to other lesser supporters, then you are indeed a fanny.

Ian L

Anyone who uses the term "real fan" is a fanny 100%.

Ya fanny!

Thanks for the comments folks.

re the real fan debate see my comments under the next week thread.

Brilliant, I hope you don't mind but I have shared it on Facebook and that's why I choose Fife!

Shahoorsir dont mind at a all, there is no copyright on commitment.

fan
Stirring stuff. Problem is, I don't recognise any link between most of what you have said and the shambles that is called East Fife today. Right down to the strips the players wear. There is nothing at the present-day club that makes me proud. Nothing.

I chose East Fife too, but I didn't choose them because I was rejecting Celtic or Rangers. I chose them because they were my local team and they could play a bit of football, and had real ambition. Not now. Not any longer. What has happened to this club is genuinely sad. The East Fife I chose doesn't exist any longer. It's just a name, passed on.

We've had a bad season; lost our manager to ill health after the first game and lost more games than we have won. Is that why is it a shambles? Why are you not proud of your heritage and background? You are what you are and East Fife Football Club is interwoven into the culture of the area. Maybe that culture connection has been lost but just look at attendances at other football clubs and you will see the same pattern.

What do you mean by 'real ambition'? The 'ambition' that Gretna had? The ambition that Dunfermline had? The ambition that Glasgow Rangers had (and that was taking ambition way too far)? Some ambition - I'd call it extinction.

I am the first to say that I am uncomfortable with the ownership issue at the club but we're not in debt, we own our own ground, we brought in a manager who, on paper at the time, seemed a shrewed move. We signed a full time young laddie who has since struggled a bit in the latter part of the season. Is that lack of ambition? We are in a league structure where a few wins can make the difference between a relegation play-off place and a promotion play-off place. This season we are on the wrong side of that fine line between success and failure.

OK so Cowdenbeath are above us; let's not forget that they won promotion because of Gretna's demise and steamed on from there. This season they have avoided relegation because of Dunfermline's points deduction. That's not ambition that is pure good fortune. Right place, right time.

Bette Noir
This season we are on the wrong side of that fine line between success and failure.

Among a load of bollocks, your point above is the worst of all. We have won only one match in four months! This is the worst record of any club in Scotland, and if we are relegated, we fully deserve to go down.

supporter
Bette Noir
This season we are on the wrong side of that fine line between success and failure.

Among a load of bollocks, your point above is the worst of all. We have won only one match in four months! This is the worst record of any club in Scotland, and if we are relegated, we fully deserve to go down.

So, why exactly are you posting this? I take it you want us to go down then? You call yourself supporter... of whom?

Jeez!
So, why exactly are you posting this? I take it you want us to go down then? You call yourself supporter... of whom?

Why are you asking such stupid questions? To make me waste my time by answering them with the obvious? No thanks. Enjoy your bank holiday, but I suppose its the same as any other day for you.

supporter
Jeez!

Why are you asking such stupid questions? To make me waste my time by answering them with the obvious? No thanks. Enjoy your bank holiday, but I suppose its the same as any other day for you.

You obviously havr a lot of anger issues that have nothing to do with East Fife.

Bette Noir
supporter
Jeez!

You obviously havr a lot of anger issues that have nothing to do with East Fife.

Ha, ha. Pot. Kettle. Black.

Mad Man
Bette Noir
supporter
Jeez!

Yes SPF whatever you say. I am just wondering with your limited level of mental faculties, have you ever considered free accomodation in an institute?

Bette Noir
Mad Man
Bette Noir
supporter
Jeez!

Yes SPF whatever you say. I am just wondering with your limited level of mental faculties, have you ever considered free accomodation in an institute?

Here you go again bringing me into a thread. Do you fancy me ?

St Pauli Fifer
Bette Noir
Mad Man
Bette Noir
supporter
Jeez!

BALDY MEN COMB THREAD FOR THIS PISH.... ps GET A ROOM [

St Pauli Fifer
Bette Noir
Mad Man
Bette Noir
supporter
Jeez!

Well seen as I've owned and arse-raped you so many times on this site you might as well be my bitch. Obviously you get off on total humiliation.

I doubt very much you own a lot bette.
You strike me as being a sad wee soul who spends most of his time on here trying to win friends and failing miserably.

You're the one that's owned neebur.

Bette Noir
St Pauli Fifer
Bette Noir
Mad Man
Bette Noir
supporter
Jeez!

Well seen as I've owned and arse-raped you so many times on this site you might as well be my bitch. Obviously you get off on total humiliation.

What a horrible human being you are.

A great thread completely ruined. Please take your bickering somewhere else.

Lochee Fifer

who are these people? is bette noir the person from "hardest away days"?

Its not right that every thread gets taken over by st pauli fifer (dont know him) and the other one just insulting each other.

FED UP!
Lochee Fifer

Its not right that every thread gets taken over by st pauli fifer (dont know him) and the other one just insulting each other.

Yep,"hardest away days"
First one plays on the right wing,second one plays on the left wing (cue him to say he disnae).

Don't insult my bitch

Bette Noir
Don't insult my bitch

Widnae think o it,your dom he's sub.

FED UP!
Lochee Fifer

Bette AKA Exile is about as low as it gets on here

Fan eh
I doubt very much you own a lot bette.
You strike me as being a sad wee soul who spends most of his time on here trying to win friends and failing miserably.

You're the one that's owned neebur.

Are you a happy 'wee soul' with lots of friends and a wonderful social life?

Baldy men comb thwread fowr riss frucking pish.