Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Billy Brown

Is staying at the club according to Sid.

Re: Billy Brown

Good news. Gives him the chance to build his own side over the summer.
- East Fife.

Great news.

A Trialist
Good news. Gives him the chance to build his own side over the summer.
- East Fife.

^^^^ Agreed.

I hope we can give him a big player budget so that he can attract the guys that he wants.

And I hope the fans can get behind the team, repeat the positive support of the Alloa and Peterhead games, and can be patient as the new team beds in.

A sensible decision. Every manager deserves the opportunity to assemble his own squad.

Good decision by the club to give us some stability and allow planning for next season to begin now. I also hope the fans keep up the good backing as this made such a difference over the last 6 or so games.

Despite the outrage at Billy Brown's outburst at the Stenny game & I told him that although what he said was true, it wasn't the right time or place to do it, there is no doubt it had a galvanising affect on everyone at the club. Players raised their game accordingly but I think the biggest difference was that the fans did too! The backing the players & manager got from Alloa onwards was different class and Sunday actually surpassed the Kilmarnock game for atmosphere. I genuinely think that the reason I never felt at any point on Sunday we would lose was because of OUR fans.
I know its difficult to be supportive when things are as poor as they were particularly from December to April but we as fans have a duty to try & give the team something just as they have to show the fans something in return. There are going to be some cracking games next season so lets get behind everyone from the off & get back to what Ross Graham calls the 'East Fife factor' where the palyers & fans are together.
It will be a tough season & no doubt we will favourites along with Stranraer for relegation but perhaps it will stop anyone making predictions that are unrealistic.

Keteoj
Is staying at the club according to Sid.

More to the point is Sid staying at the club or will Rankine/Johnston/Twigg sell up and ship out? GoF predicts a boardroom and player clearout, there have been many whisperings of boardroom change, hopefully this will happen.

Sunday's great escape has given the club the chance to start again. Last year was a disaster, and Billy Brown must take his share of the blame. His selections were flawed, his failure to sign a defender was bizarre, his tactical awareness was exposed, his temperament was (is) embarrassing, his man-management was abysmal, and he savaged the club's fans.
We all mock Gavin Murray, but I have yet to see any evidence that Brown has more to offer than Gavin. Billy Brown is a number two. He hasn't got what it takes to be a manager.
If Brown is still in charge next season (I don't believe he will be) then we will have signed up for more of the same. Bringing in new players does not change the manager's capabilities, and we should not forget that Brown had a squad which contained experienced, talented players. Did he get the best out of them? No he did not.
We need change. Brown has had his chance, and we've seen what he can do.
And you know what supporters are missing here? Brown doesn't want to be at East Fife. He will take the first offer to go elsewhere, but no one wants him. Ask him how many other jobs he has applied for since joining East Fife.

Astounded
Billy Brown is a number two.

No need for insults like that

Billy Brown is not to be judged by play off results alone its over the season and we were not good enough should never have been in that precarious position to start with .
It seems clear that he does not want to be at the club and has said nothing if his own accord to ingratiate himself with either the fans or state his future plans and intentions at the club .
Sure if canvassing opinion of the players he had this season they will be sure to say that his man management skills leave a lot to be desired .
We had some momentum and a bit of luck ( Berwick) going into the play offs and rode our luck well and truly
Here's hoping that changes are afoot at all levels if the club from board to management lets see some new initiative and drive .

i think it is a terrible move keeping brown. he has to take his share of the blame. he had plenty time to bring players in but did not.
his record apart from the playoffs this year is shocking 1 win in the league in 2013 is enough to sack any manager his post match comments are ludicrous like stenny are a guid team they have big boys at the back. these boys try but there jist no guid enough, I cant motivate them to name a few.
I have also heard he has had numerous behind the scenes bust ups with players and squared up to one player. is this really the man to lead east fife.
we have a chance to start afresh and keep the good vibe at the club going and get a good manager and players in with the incentive of playing rangers and the pars. no we will just stick with a man who thinks he is better than east fife because he is obviously pally wi sid and co.
div 2 is going to be even tighter next year and I cant see how keeping a man who couldn't cut it this season will next season.

Not sure keeping BB for next season is a good or bad move but if hes staying,we the fans must give him a chance.With his own players in he has no excuses,starting the season with a agenda of hate against him means we are cutting our own throats right from the beginning.

Brown deserves his chance to build his own team for next season. I hope he stays.

DPH
Brown deserves his chance to build his own team for next season. I hope he stays.

'Deserves his chance'. That's interesting. What has he done to deserve his chance? Can you explain why you have said this? He was given the chance. He owed it to the directors to repay them for giving him that chance, but the last six months were the worst that most of us can remember. He failed to deliver what he told them at his interview.
What has he done to deserve being kept on? He will be given another chance if the chairman is daft enough, but I cannot see anything Brown has done that means he 'deserves' to be given that chance.

Own team, fresh league campaign. No excuses.

Can I suggest a money making venture for the trust???

Can we get some "Billy Brown - NO EXCUSES!" t-shirts printed up for next season I'm sure they'ld sell!!!

Think it is the correct decision! Yes Brown fecked up big time with his outburst and made some strange decisions but to be honest the damage was done before BB arrived.. For example Elgin fiasco still leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.. thank fook for bevvie thats all i can say! Could have he done things different.. Yeh probably , but he didn't.. thats life so time to move on. Everybody fecks up now and again, and they in more cases or not are hurt and embarrassed over it.. Suspect BB was no different but didn't want to show a sign of weakness. Reflecting back though on his outburst the reality is it manifested itself into a eucatastophe, so... moving ahead let him build his own squad and let him be judged on that. We need to start next season on a +ve and too be honest I cannae be ersed listening to a plethora of lingering destructive negativity before a ball is kicked. Not been a great season but its been an awesome finish and for the lucky sods that made Sunday the memories will live on. So lets remember the +ves and take that into the start of next season. Remember ....Love life, love the Fife, Spice Aye Life!

Eucatastrophe is a fantastic word and so very apt!!!

Well done Mucky Sock, well done!!!

Brown has had his chance, and we have seen nothing to indicate he can manage footballers. The only way he got a performance out of them was to tell them very publicly that they were all shit. It is a management technique that does not work for very long. The players turned against him and were doing it for themselves at the end, not for a manager who had told them they weren't good enough.
The willingness of fans to let Brown stay in charge must come from the feelgood factor we got from staying up - it's emotional rather than rational. Don't forget the manager's very own words: East Fife did not succeed last season. He was in charge for six of the nine months of that season, including a transfer window where he didn't put a foot right.
Mucky Sock wants to move on. Me too. We can do that, with a new manager. There are plenty out there who would want the job, better managers than Brown, who is hiding behind "they're no' ma players" to cover up for his own failings.
As for wanting to avoid negativity - easy done. Get rid of Brown, and give a new manager the chance to succeed where Brown failed. That would be hugely positive, and would create excitement rather than division. The easiest decision to make in any situation is to do nothing. East Fife are undisputed champions in this field.

Sorry,eucatastrophe or not,BB should be out on his arse,tactically he`s been well short, he doesn`t appear to have any rapport with the players,fans or club.The players themselves battled to survival over the course of the play offs and I have seen nothing from the manager to suggest he can produce a squad/team capable of entertaining attacking football,which is what we would all like to watch.I sincerely hope he proves me wrong but I am more than a little disappointed at the news he`s staying.
PS. just read astounded`s post and agree with him 100%.

Absolutely the correct decision. We can't continue chopping and changing managers.

Kings of Fife
Absolutely the correct decision. We can't continue chopping and changing managers.

Yes we can, until we get the right one. The worst thing you can do after making a mistake is to refuse to admit it. Brown was a mistake.
But there is little point arguing with you, because your refusal to say anything objective about the club - ever - means you would have backed Brown even if we had gone down.

Astounded I have no issues with your opinions that you articulate very well.... from your perspective they are valid and they will be valid for others too. The subject is going to be emotive and as such will persist for some time but hey that's football. I think in a nut shell from my perspective the decision has been made and yes there is going to be a split camp, but for the purpose of unity we have to respect that decision and let BB build his squad and then assess him on what he and his team delivers. If it doesn't happen he will have no hiding place and no excuses and therefore will pay the consequences. If it all falls into place then the doubters will be proven wrong... Only time will tell!.... I am not looking for an easy get out clause I truly believe that he should be given a second chance that's all.

Mucky Sock
Astounded I have no issues with your opinions that you articulate very well.... from your perspective they are valid and they will be valid for others too. The subject is going to be emotive and as such will persist for some time but hey that's football. I think in a nut shell from my perspective the decision has been made and yes there is going to be a split camp, but for the purpose of unity we have to respect that decision and let BB build his squad and then assess him on what he and his team delivers. If it doesn't happen he will have no hiding place and no excuses and therefore will pay the consequences. If it all falls into place then the doubters will be proven wrong... Only time will tell!.... I am not looking for an easy get out clause I truly believe that he should be given a second chance that's all.

Well said -

Personally i think this is the wrong decision and i`m fairly confident it will come back and bite us on the arse come Christmas if not before.
If "av been places an dun things" is staying then he better get his finger out and offload the deadwood (and there is loads) and bring in some new blood who don't just pretend to be footballers like this current bunch of chancers. They may have won the jackpot on Sunday but boy they rode their luck. Let us not forget they got us in this bloody mess.

Muir, Campbell, Antell and Brown worth keeping the rest can go pretend to be footballers in the 3rd.

This season has been an absolute shambles.

Brown has to go! He is obviously not 100% keen on staying. He never takes the blame and he said we deserved to be relegated two days before the play off final! The players are playing for their own pride. He hasnt got the tactical knowledge to be a number 1! But most of all if i was a player i would 100% not want to sign under this man after what he says about the players publicly. I think if he stays we will struggle to sign anyone decent.

Fan
he said we deserved to be relegated two days before the play off final!

source please

Noisy Crossbar
Fan

source please

The source is Billy Brown, who openly admitted this in the newspapers. Away and look it up.

fan
Noisy Crossbar
Fan

source please

The source is Billy Brown, who openly admitted this in the newspapers. Away and look it up.

none of the newspapers I read have the quote. He did say that he's not a fan of the playoffs....but that's not quite the same as saying East Fife deserve to be relegated.

Away and stop making it up.

He said we deserved to be where we are!That was second bottom of the league and after 36 games we had the second worst points tally so yep he was right!

Brown does not come across as a motivator of men.

Very poor decision to keep Brown

Noisy Crossbar
none of the newspapers I read have the quote. He did say that he's not a fan of the playoffs....but that's not quite the same as saying East Fife deserve to be relegated.

"I think if you finish second in the league you should be promoted and if you finish second-bottom you should be relegated. You play all season working towards that. That's the way it should work. And if we had been relegated then so be it. We deserved to be where we were."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/brown-does-not-agree-with-second-chance-for-his-side.21079082

Real Lack of ambition to be content with billy brown...
lots of young managers out there worth a punt .
Look what Hartley`s done at Alloa will Billy Brown ever achieve that at the Fife ??.....haha doubt it like

Not sure who posted saying...(something like this)once the dust has settled we will accept it and get behind the team and manager. Anything less is not support!
We all have opinions but when the new session starts we should...(must) get right behind the team. It has been obvious over the last half dozen or so games the impact a good support makes.
If we can show the grit and determination of the last few games and couple that with a wee bit fitba' am sure we will be able to survive in a stronger 2nd division 13/14.
Looking forward to a wee upset for the newco and pars.

supporter
Noisy Crossbar

"I think if you finish second in the league you should be promoted and if you finish second-bottom you should be relegated. You play all season working towards that. That's the way it should work. And if we had been relegated then so be it. We deserved to be where we were."

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/football/brown-does-not-agree-with-second-chance-for-his-side.21079082

Yep, just said he doesn't like the play offs.
Our final league position simply reflects the points we got.
Reasons...unlucky, squad strength at start of season, 3 manager and an intrim manager, unsettled team...

Really liked the confident comments from Rory McAlister...get a goal and then finish us off. Ha!
3 hours and they still couldn't score. The way the whole team defended on Sunday think we could still been playing and they wouldn't have scored.

Should have more than 0 players signed for next season if he was staying ??

supporter
Noisy Crossbar

Comments about how the league should work is not the same as saying East fife deserve to be relegated.

East Fife chairman Sid Collumbine has expressed his delight that manager Billy Brown has decided to stay at the club.

The boss had cast doubt on his future with the Methil outfit in the aftermath of Sunday’s nail-biting play-off win over Peterhead that secured their Second Division status.

However, following a meeting between the East Fife board and Brown on Monday night, the 62-year-old agreed to stay at the helm.

Collumbine said: “We held a board meeting on Monday night at which Billy agreed to stay for another year.

“We didn’t have to use a lot of persuasion but there was just the usual discussions over what his budget would be for next season and what he would have to spend.

“Billy has decided on the players he would like to keep and those he will be letting go and he wants to deliver the news personally before we tell the press.

“He is going on holiday shortly so he will be speaking to the players as soon as possible. Billy’s decision to stay will hopefully bring a bit of managerial stability to the club.

“I am sure if we had been relegated he would have walked away as he would have been disgusted that we hadn’t stayed up.

“So we are delighted he will be staying and will have the opportunity to build his own team next season,” he continued.

NIGHTMARE !!!!!!!!!!

Maybe East Fife could sponsor BB to attend a 'Life Skills' Course so that at least he will realise that calling his players rubbish in public doesn't do much for their confidence or motivation.

Bette Noir
Maybe East Fife could sponsor BB to attend a 'Life Skills' Course so that at least he will realise that calling his players rubbish in public doesn't do much for their confidence or motivation.

An anger management course might help too.

I'd rather he wasn't continuing but now that he is it's time to get behind him. There can be no excuses from now on, he has a blank sheet of paper. Let's hope hope that the Board can give him some decent funds so we can properly compete in what is going to be a much tougher league than last season.

Grim Reaper
Bette Noir

I'd rather he wasn't continuing but now that he is it's time to get behind him. There can be no excuses from now on, he has a blank sheet of paper. Let's hope hope that the Board can give him some decent funds so we can properly compete in what is going to be a much tougher league than last season.

That would probably be the same courses that Alex Ferguson must have attended after the 1983 Scottish Cup final when he publicly slated his players on tv, even after winning the cup? That was only a couple of weeks after they won the Cup Winners Cup, but obviously he didn't know how to motivate players?

Penpal

“I am sure if we had been relegated he would have walked away as he would have been disgusted that we hadn’t stayed up.

Fucking hell Sid.

Tetra
Grim Reaper
Bette Noir

That would probably be the same courses that Alex Ferguson must have attended after the 1983 Scottish Cup final when he publicly slated his players on tv, even after winning the cup? That was only a couple of weeks after they won the Cup Winners Cup, but obviously he didn't know how to motivate players?

Yeah billy brown is straight out the alex ferguson school of football management .

Tetra
Grim Reaper
Bette Noir

Paul Scholes described Sir Alex's greatest quality as a manager as "protecting his players" - presumably he learned something between 1983 and when Scholes' career started, something that Billy Brown should take note of?