Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Rights to information

Please correct me if I'm wrong. East Fife Football Club is a limited company, and as such is run by a board of directors. The company is made up of shareholders who purchase or sell shares at any time. these same shareholders have the right to ask questions of the board at the AGM or may request an EGM be convened if there are serious matters to be addressed. Other than these rights, shareholders may ask questions of board memebers, but these board members are not obliged to answer.

Over the past few years there has been an increasing demand for information regarding how the company is run from people who are merely interested stakeholders, ie, supporters and fans. The option is there for anyone to purchase shares. I may be wrong again, but I'm pretty sure that there are no other industries where the demand for information os so keen. Why do so many feel it is their right to know exactly what the the club intends to spend or not soend.

There are a few clubs in the SFL which are not limited companies and are run by comittees, Stranraer have been run this way for as long as I can remember and have experienced some success. Supporters can become members and therefore may become elected comottee members. If this is the way we want the club to proceed then all members must be prepared to dig deep in both time and money, until that time please leave the board to do the job they have been elected to do by the shareholders.

I for one would not expect to know where all the money is spent by the board which runs the company I work for. I am merely a stakeholder and although I don't agree with everything they do, I must accept it, this is how businesses are run.
I have been a small shareholder in the club for 15yrs, but I do not have the finances to expect to elected to the board. Please remeber that at every club in every town, there are directors putting their hand in their own pocket to pay for things we wouldnt even think about. The club we love would not be here today if it weren't for a certain old friend of mine who passed away some years ago, paying EVERYTHING out his own pocket, and I mean everything.

Please stop the constant belittling of the board and the habitual demands for "where did the Rangers money go".

Re: Rights to information

You make a legitimate point Ian, but your reluctance to ask questions is disappointing. More worryingly than that, you ask others not to ask questions either. You should not be trying to silence public debate.
As far as I am aware, it has just come to light that there is doubt over whether the money from the Rangers game has been banked or blown. There will not be a club agm until the end of the year. The chance to ask questions once a year is not enough. Also, in this case, the people who have the answers are unlikely to be still with the club by the time of the next AGM.
I take your point that a company's business should be private, but a football club's business is conducted in public. The game receives a huge amount of media coverage, and the whole of Scottish football knows that we had a huge pay day at Ibrox. The details of how much the club made are not a secret either. Everyone knows that the club made £150,000 from the match. When your business is as public as that, you cannot hide your secrets.
If all the Rangers money has gone, it is natural that supporters will ask where it has gone. Apart from the extravagance of Bobby Barr, there are no obvious signs of where East Fife could spend a windfall of £150,000, over and above the expected revenue, in just nine months.

Didn't the club publicly state that £50k was to go on general running costs for the season with £100k banked or put in reserve until the end of May? Most of us may just be 'interested stakeholders' but I think we need some clarity on this. You would have thought the money would now be being used to build for next season (players, stadium upgrades etc) but until someone from the club comes clean on this then there are bound to be doubts and questions around the what has happened to that money.

I dare say the takeover is clouding the issue somewhat, so I'm not holding my breath but I feel the continuing secrecy over this is only fuelling suspicions right now that something is amiss.

The takeover seems to be going ahead as we have been informed. EFFC is a private limited company and as such has less obligation to provide less information than a public company has. So financial information can be hard to come by, even the yearly accounts are restricted which makes it difficult to extract full financial expenditure.

However deductions can be made. On the Rangers monies we know? that 100k was placed in an account to expire end of May. Now as is being disclosed the takeover has been taking place over the last 6 months, it seems coincidental that the money was placed in this account at the same time. And as the shareholder/s (Rankine?) has no real interest in the club and as major owner can dictate what happens to this money. So would it be far fetched to consider that his share will be taken as part of the deal?

Just a thought! Then again this is probably a lot of crap and should not be considered an attempt to scupper the takeover.

This is a private opinion and no parties to the deal or the present board, ST,SC or unafiliated fans Not even these wonderful EF ladies! were involved in compounding this unadulterated pish.

excited?
The takeover seems to be going ahead as we have been informed. EFFC is a private limited company and as such has less obligation to provide less information than a public company has. So financial information can be hard to come by, even the yearly accounts are restricted which makes it difficult to extract full financial expenditure.

However deductions can be made. On the Rangers monies we know? that 100k was placed in an account to expire end of May. Now as is being disclosed the takeover has been taking place over the last 6 months, it seems coincidental that the money was placed in this account at the same time. And as the shareholder/s (Rankine?) has no real interest in the club and as major owner can dictate what happens to this money. So would it be far fetched to consider that his share will be taken as part of the deal?

Just a thought! Then again this is probably a lot of crap and should not be considered an attempt to scupper the takeover.

This is a private opinion and no parties to the deal or the present board, ST,SC or unafiliated fans Not even these wonderful EF ladies! were involved in compounding this unadulterated pish.

You're entitled to your opinion and your post,in no way, should be considered to be unadulterated pish.
I'm just wondering if a contact is drawn up for the sale or transfer of our club, should this contract contain a sanity clause?

Ian L
... this is how businesses are run.

Aye, but fitba' clubs are different. If this was a normal business, and we'd been served up the season just past, we'd take our custom to Cowden, Raith or Dundee. Thankfully, it's not a normal business. When things don't go well, the natural instinct of the fans is to stick with the club, and start wondering what's gone wrong.

Technically, you're correct. There is no right to information. Just as the club has no right to our continued support.

I prefer to think of it as a mutual obligation.

prodigal son
Ian L
... this is how businesses are run.

Aye, but fitba' clubs are different. If this was a normal business, and we'd been served up the season just past, we'd take our custom to Cowden, Raith or Dundee. Thankfully, it's not a normal business. When things don't go well, the natural instinct of the fans is to stick with the club, and start wondering what's gone wrong.

Technically, you're correct. There is no right to information. Just as the club has no right to our continued support.

I prefer to think of it as a mutual obligation.