Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Thanks to Billy

I know this will not be popular with the majority and no doubt there will be a number of posts after this telling me how misguided I am, but I want to thank Billy Brown for the job he did at East Fife.
I go to all the matches and I'm as entitled as people who don't go to any to have my opinion too.

Whatever anyone says he kept the club in the league which is what he was tasked to do. He had to work with a set of players that weren't his own and a lesser man would have walked away earlier but he fought to the end.

His much reported "rant" certainly had an effect- no one can deny that. After that the supporters got behind the team and the players responded.

Perhaps his biggest achievement though was having the guts to tell the truth about a section of our support. People can say what they like but there are individuals who frequent Bayview who don't help the team with their constant abuse and sniping at the players.

This is a heralded as a new dawn but history repeats itself, and the only thing sure is this - these same supporters who are celebrating will be quick to get on the backs of the new management and board when things start to get rough. And lets face it...we are East Fife - there is always going to be more tough times than good. Its easy to be excited when we have Rangers and Dunfermline in the league but the chances are after this season, normal service will be resumed. I am not a pessimist - I am a realist.

I hope the supporters give the new board and management a chance and don't rip them apart when we hit a difficult period.

In the words of Billy Brown: "We all need to be together if we are to succeed".

Good luck for the future Billy, and thanks mostly for telling it how it really is

Re: Thanks to Billy

Well said

I am not sorry to see him go, he didn't want to be at East Fife, but he is a better manager than his replacement

supporter
I am not sorry to see him go, he didn't want to be at East Fife, but he is a better manager than his replacement

You can't say that, you have never seen Willie Aitchinson be a manager, nor' has anyone else for that matter.

Fair enough he hasn't "Been places and done things" but really how many of the managers that East Fife have had can actually say I've "been places and done things"?

The man coming in is Willie Aitchison is that correct ? It's important I feel when imparting 'insider' information to be factually accurate.

MR T
I know this will not be popular with the majority and no doubt there will be a number of posts after this telling me how misguided I am, but I want to thank Billy Brown for the job he did at East Fife.
I go to all the matches and I'm as entitled as people who don't go to any to have my opinion too.

Whatever anyone says he kept the club in the league which is what he was tasked to do. He had to work with a set of players that weren't his own and a lesser man would have walked away earlier but he fought to the end.

His much reported "rant" certainly had an effect- no one can deny that. After that the supporters got behind the team and the players responded.

Perhaps his biggest achievement though was having the guts to tell the truth about a section of our support. People can say what they like but there are individuals who frequent Bayview who don't help the team with their constant abuse and sniping at the players.

This is a heralded as a new dawn but history repeats itself, and the only thing sure is this - these same supporters who are celebrating will be quick to get on the backs of the new management and board when things start to get rough. And lets face it...we are East Fife - there is always going to be more tough times than good. Its easy to be excited when we have Rangers and Dunfermline in the league but the chances are after this season, normal service will be resumed. I am not a pessimist - I am a realist.

I hope the supporters give the new board and management a chance and don't rip them apart when we hit a difficult period.

Good luck for the future Billy, and thanks mostly for telling it how it really is

Sorry but you are eulogising a man that does not deserve it. Let's see how many clubs will be looking to employ him now eh?

Anyway he's gone, time to move on.

Hahaha
supporter

You can't say that, you have never seen Willie Aitchinson be a manager, nor' has anyone else for that matter.

Fair enough he hasn't "Been places and done things" but really how many of the managers that East Fife have had can actually say I've "been places and done things"?

There was a day when the managers job at effc was a sought after position.

One step at a time though eh ?

Willie will do me... pity the surname isn't broon though.

supporter

You should read that back and see how dim that comment is.

Bollocks to thanking Brown.
Thank him for what exactly? Keeping us up?
It was his incompetence coupled with crap players that got us in this mess in the first place.
We were lucky against Peterhead and lets not forget it.

Hahaha
supporter

Has anyone ever seen Willie Aitchison as a manager? How old is he? late 40`s early 50`s and has he ever managed at a decent level??? What happened to him at Hearts?? Who are Charlio FC?

As for the assistant manager. Although he is still in the game, he hasn`t managed or coached for years.

DLA
Hahaha
supporter

Has anyone ever seen Willie Aitchison as a manager? How old is he? late 40`s early 50`s and has he ever managed at a decent level??? What happened to him at Hearts?? Who are Charlio FC?

As for the assistant manager. Although he is still in the game, he hasn`t managed or coached for years.

It does seem an odd one to say the least. I wonder what the official announcement will have to say and how it will justify such a appointment.

Never heard of the manager and he certainly lacks experience at this level but good luck to Willie and the new board.

MR T

He was tasked to get us into the playoffs top 4. He won 2 games in 2013. Slagged fans and players. Garbage. Cheerio Billy

I for one am not sorry to see him go,now he can go to even more places and do even more things.

Vambo
I for one am not sorry to see him go,now he can go to even more places and do even more things.

I almost fell off my chair!

brown had no experience when he came as a manager and I gave him a chance even going into a run of 1 win in 15 or so I was behind him. but when he did what he did grabbing mic and his rant after the game he blew it.

maybe if he had the balls to face the fans or at least put out an apology on the Monday but no he hid away then went on sky sports and repeated his insults about the team. the comments he made about players were shocking.

his tactics were non existent. he did not even play the players he brought in on loan very often. the man was a failure there is no other way to put it.
if you demean people you will get a reaction it may help your cause but that does not make it right.

give the new manager the same chance you gave brown let them have a fair crack at it. it may turn out to be a great appointment. in my opinion no one can do worse than brown because in his words he couldn't motivate the players.

worst east fife manager since gavin murray and even then I feel im being harsh on murray

supporter

Started already ? Better start planning on how you are going to get him out ...... oops,forgot you don't actually do anything,just make noise.

Terracing Now!
supporter

???

the comment makes sense to me bud. he says that brown is a better manager than aitchison, but brown did not really want to be at east fife so there is no need to feel sad about him leaving

you have got a cheek calling anyone dim, bawheid!

fifer
Terracing Now!
supporter

???

the comment makes sense to me bud. he says that brown is a better manager than aitchison, but brown did not really want to be at east fife so there is no need to feel sad about him leaving

you have got a cheek calling anyone dim, bawheid!
Twat

Hahaha
You have never seen Willie Aitchinson be a manager, nor' has anyone else for that matter.

quite a lot of them to be honest. you dont really know much about east fiffe, do you? before billy brown, the three previous managers were scotland international strikers and one of them was an ex-spl manager (robbo). then there's alex totten, steve archibald, stevie kirk. even davie clarke managed in the Premier before he came back. rab shannon and jimmy bone were hopeless managers but they had good playing careers at the top level. aitchison has never been a manager of a league team. did he ever play football?

Am really puzzled that nobody has linked Willie Aitchison with East Fife Under 19's in season 2010/11, unless it was a different Willie Aitchison, though he did brag that he'd been at Hearts.

Please also see the following quote from The Fife Football Forum in the section Cowdenbeath Youth Sides:

"hegz, on Nov 14 2008, 18:03, said:
Gary Kirk is who ruined the youth set up at Cowden.

correct!!!! cowdenbeath years ago pulled boys from all over to fullfill youth team games willie aitchison was the manager but got slated cause there was hardly any local boys!!!!!!!!!

Yep I was in the squad at that time, made news of page 5 of the Daily Record our squad picture with 'Axed' signs above our heads lol , as soon as levein left nobody cared about us and this Willie Aitchison guy came from hearts and brought alot of boys from edinburgh way to training one week and the next week we all got the boot. My dad had a run in with Mr Kirk one night and I came home to a message on the answer machine from him saying he was going to punch my dads pus if he ever seen him again and that I would never be back at the club again few days later that article came out, I wonder if I could find a copy online?"

I believe he did the same at East Fife Under 19's, bringing in Edinburgh players and getting rid of most of the local lads. He also held training sessions in Edinburgh which made it difficult for the remaining local lads getting there. The new team did no better than before, and Willie Aitchison disappeared. Not sure whether he jumped or was pushed. The assistant at the time was the current Head of Youth, Colin Martin, who then became Manager in place of Willie.

Could not find anything relating to Willie Aitchison Football from that date, so not sure what he's been doing since.

fifer
Hahaha
You have never seen Willie Aitchinson be a manager, nor' has anyone else for that matter.

quite a lot of them to be honest. you dont really know much about east fiffe, do you? before billy brown, the three previous managers were scotland international strikers and one of them was an ex-spl manager (robbo). then there's alex totten, steve archibald, stevie kirk. even davie clarke managed in the Premier before he came back. rab shannon and jimmy bone were hopeless managers but they had good playing careers at the top level. aitchison has never been a manager of a league team. did he ever play football?

Well said. Hahaha really knows nothing about EF or fans.

or maybe it's just all a double bluff and HaHaHa knows a lot more about East Fife than she is letting on.

Agree
fifer
Hahaha

Well said. Hahaha really knows nothing about EF or fans.

That comment was actually sarcasm (Hence the HaHaHaHa smilies.

Gordon Durie, Scotland international and SPL player and EPL player.

Robbo, SPL player, EPL player, SPL Manager.

The Craw, SPL player, ECL player.

Kirkie, SPL player, ECL player.

Rab Shannon, Scotland U21 international, SPL player.

There's loads of EFFC managers who can say they've "been places and done things" but they wouldn't, Billy Brown came out and said that as if he was the best thing to happen to Scottish football let alone East Fife.

As I heard someone say on here "If Billy Brown was half as big as his ego..."

Says it all really, I wasn't having a go at past managers, Far from it, I used to get excited when I seen Stevie Kirk walking about Leven or Kennoway!

I mean if you want to seriously compare Billy Brown to some past managers such as Durie and Robbo then you could say in comparison, Billy Brown has been no where and done fuck all!

Hahaha
I mean if you want to seriously compare Billy Brown to some past managers such as Durie and Robbo then you could say in comparison, Billy Brown has been no where and done fuck all!

See yer still at the insults that you so vehemently are in denial of. The more you post, the more you sound like you are no stranger at all to this forum or East Fife FC and there is a bit of history being kept from the rest of us??

As I said, you are getting what you obviously wanted, so why keep on with the insults, because that is what your words are - insults! A loss of credibility every time you post now mate.

Nae offence like...
Hahaha

See yer still at the insults that you so vehemently are in denial of. The more you post, the more you sound like you are no stranger at all to this forum or East Fife FC and there is a bit of history being kept from the rest of us??

As I said, you are getting what you obviously wanted, so why keep on with the insults, because that is what your words are - insults! A loss of credibility every time you post now mate.

I'm not (intentionally) insulting anyone, The mere fact that BB's words are coming back to haunt him, is his own doing, I've said nothing about him that he hasn't said himself.

As for myself, I haven't hidden the fact that I used to attend East Fife games on a regular basis prior to the Danskin fiasco.

As for the forum I have always read it on and off but never posted until a few weeks back.

This 'loss of credibility' keeps popping up and it reminds me of the SPL/SFA with their shouts of 'Footballing integrity'.

I'm entitled to my opinion as you are yours and I won't attempt to undermine you based on yours, as I previously stated if you feel I am offending anyone then that is up to you but I can assure you it was never my intention.

This 'loss of credibility' keeps popping up and it reminds me of the SPL/SFA with their shouts of 'Footballing integrity'.

[/quote]

To me this comment says a lot about you....but cheers for past info .

Really don't understand why people are getting at Hahaha. Fair enough his maths wasn't the greatest when working out how much we got from newco game, and maybe he/she was misunderstood when saying we all supported another team but gi the guy a break. He even got slated for congratulating Eugene ffs!! Thanks for keeping me updated hahaha and enjoy the season ahead.

Hahaha had obviously got insider information about the proposed takeover, there is no doubt, but that does not make him a better person. I am glad things have turned out the way they have, but why does he have to make comments about the likes of Billy Brown, what does it achieve, because it does not make him look any smarter, that's why I am saying he loses credibility by making jibes like that. No need for that now and a bit of maturity needs to be shown and just get on with the hopefully exciting future of East Fife FC. It will certainly be interesting, I'm sure.

PS - For the most part, Hahaha has posted good information in a sensible way, so congratulations to him/her for that. I just wish he/she didn't make the wee sarcastic comments about others, because he has no need to do that.