Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Tonight??

Did we get told about a new manager or what directors stayed

Re: Tonight??

Am I the only one who thinks there is a big disconnect between the bold ambition and pronouncements of the new Board (it doesn't seem we can call them new owners) and financial reality at the club? How is at all to be funded? The old Board seem to have been wasteful - just where did the Rangers money get spent? - and we have a club just about starting from scratch. Full time? You have to smile.

Dubya
Am I the only one who thinks there is a big disconnect between the bold ambition and pronouncements of the new Board (it doesn't seem we can call them new owners) and financial reality at the club? How is at all to be funded? The old Board seem to have been wasteful - just where did the Rangers money get spent? - and we have a club just about starting from scratch. Full time? You have to smile.

No, you are not the only one who thinks that the man who is to be the next chairman spouted a whole lot of fantasy-land pledges tonight.
Full time team, full time manager, Christian Nade, a Portugal internationalist, a top league French player, ground redevelopment ... oh and we will be spending less on the squad than last season. BULL-SHIT

watching
Dubya

No, you are not the only one who thinks that the man who is to be the next chairman spouted a whole lot of fantasy-land pledges tonight.
Full time team, full time manager, Christian Nade, a Portugal internationalist, a top league French player, ground redevelopment ... oh and we will be spending less on the squad than last season. BULL-SHIT

You sound bitter. Are you connected to the old regime per chance?

So we go from the old Board of useless, only in it for the blazers, no vision and no hope bunch of chancers to the new Board where the club may finally realise it's potential, has a bit of ambition, and has just given the fans some much needed cheer and you are still complaining?

Just what did you want to hear? What is your ambition for the club? Do you have a vision of what the club should be?

Yes there needs to be due diligence and I am keen to hear more about the playing side in particular but why would Murray make these pledges? Do you think a successful businessman would willy-nilly walk into this without doing his sums? Or would you be happy for East Fife to remain the irrelevance it has become over the past two decades?

I for one am quietly optimistic about the future which is more than I would have said a month ago that's for sure.

Lee Murray said last night that he hoped to get an East Fife club shop in Leven High Street!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very anxious
Lee Murray said last night that he hoped to get an East Fife club shop in Leven High Street!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

High streets are dying, put in Sainsburys sports section.

Fifey
Very anxious

High streets are dying, put in Sainsburys sports section.

High streets are dying because of the likes of Sainsbury's (and online shopping of course) and we need to revive them. If local authorities can give incentives for local enterprises to set up new businesses then we should go for it. Everyone is agreed that we need to raise the profile of the club, to get the local community behind it, make the club something to be proud of again and get more people back to watching and this is one way that could help to do that. There has been a lot of talk of full-time football, ground improvements etc but I was more impressed with what Lee Murray had to say about reconnecting with the local community again and that is what we must do.

M.M. Great point but one shop dedecated to Effc will not turn the high street around. Sainsbury, very close to the ground and obviously sells every thing else. Shoppers who would normally not go to an Effc shop would see our kit. Sainsbury would get Effc fans that may not gone there Iin the first place. worth a try before leasing a shop.

On Lee, I was impresses. Seemed to be a straight up honest guy who is in this for the right reasons. He struck me as a Tony Soprano type - does Leven have a badda-bing club?

The full-time thing needs a bit of explaining - it's the same 10-15 youths that were full time last year, plus some of last years squad, plus some of the foreign players.

It won't cost much and this was clearly stated last night. The playing budget for next season will be less than last season.

The foreign players I'm not too excited about. There is a reason they are coming to ply their trade in the scottish 2nd division and its not because they've always wanted to play for East Fife.

I detected that the footballing side is Brian's domain, and the business side is Lee's.

The aim is to finish 7th or above, and TBH, with a team made up of youths who have never played at this level before, mavericks who've never played at this level before, and last year's players who struggled to play at this level - 7th would be an amazing achievement.

Maybe in time the youth policy will come good. And if Lee's business plans generate more revenue, then yes the playing side will hopefully prosper. But that might be some time away. I think we need to keep expectations in check and support the club as it rebuilds.