Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Incoming players

It says in the courier today that our new gaffer wants to sign the defender but is he good enough since he got released from Stirling Albion?? Zeze Gomes is the Portuguese player that failed a trial at hearts but has a gd amount of caps for u21 Portugal team. Bouzid was ok at hearts so should be a stand out in our team just hope the African player will be Kingston bit can't see that

Re: Incoming players

Who is the defender that was released from Stirling Albion?

Gary thom

Gary Thom? Please no.

Gary Thorn is defo the kind of player you'd go for if the player budget is significantly less than last season. Do we know why the budget (which apart from Barr can't have been that high) has been cut? Surely with the Rangers bond plus the 4 guaranteed full houses this season it should at the very least be the same?

Think they said it was just a small drop, really it was what fans wanted to hear ie not running up any debt

If I mind right from the meeting. the borad were bringing 10-12 players from youth set-up into first team squad and by doing this we will get a cheque from sfa youth development which will cover there wages....... so the player budget can be spent on the other 8 or so boys we need for the first team squad

dougie hope
If I mind right from the meeting. the borad were bringing 10-12 players from youth set-up into first team squad

It was also said the first team would consist of 23/24 players in total.

This leaves 12/13/14/15 spaces for older more experienced players which essentially is a whole team.

So again leaves me pondering as to why a minority are against bringing any youths through.

Don't think anyone is against bringing the youths through as long as there is a core of 16 or so more experienced pros. Anyone who remembers the Jimmy Bone division one season knows the danger of hanging your hat on a majority of younger players in the first team.

Also if that means we have a bot more cash for the more experienced players. But let's make sure we are aiming for better players than those who have not been a success in the third division!

LondonFife
Don't think anyone is against bringing the youths through as long as there is a core of 16 or so more experienced pros. Anyone who remembers the Jimmy Bone division one season knows the danger of hanging your hat on a majority of younger players in the first team.

Also if that means we have a bot more cash for the more experienced players. But let's make sure we are aiming for better players than those who have not been a success in the third division!

I agree with everything in this statement and it sums up exactly what I believe is trying to be accomplished in the new regime, although I wish you had been at the SC Q&A as the sneers, jeers and anguish in people's expressions when Brian said that there would be 10 to 12 youths brought to the first team was unbelievable.

It was made clear that the youth funding is completely separate from the first teams funding and I believe that the reason for this is because the previous board and manager were so against bringing youngsters through that they wouldn't provide significant funding.

I also believe that the youths received at least the same amount of sponsorship funding as the first team last year if not they received more, so to now have the chance to put that funding to use is excellent!

As I said in a previous statement, just because there are 'X' amount of youths does not mean that 'X' amount of youths will make it, I firmly believe that Brian will not put through anyone and everyone.

we all got to know there will be a bit trial and error with the 12 young boys, hopefully they all play to there best ability when given the chance.

I must say though the ambition shown with the "big name" signings is excellent and will boost the young guys chances of doing a job when given the chance. Onwards and upwards

Sorry forgot too add..... I would say reaction to the youths was mostly positive out of the 100 that was there . personally it brought on a sweat because its what I had dreamed of when I was 14 ....best news out of the meeting if you ask me ......

I agree with everything in this statement and it sums up exactly what I believe is trying to be accomplished in the new regime, although I wish you had been at the SC Q&A as the SNEERS, JEERS AND ANGUISH IN PEOPLES EXPRESSIONS when Brian said that there would be 10 to 12 youths brought to the first team was unbelievable.

.[/quote]

You were sitting at the back of the meeting so seeing expressions is a good trick. Didn't seem to be any major reaction to the news about the youths. I would say most fans have been disappointed that youth players have not been given a chance.

I never saw or heard any adverse reaction when it was stated about the youth either,in general the reaction to what was said was very positive as I recall.

Just seen on twitter that Connor sammon is at BAYVIEW the now.

Well at least we know that one is nonsense unless we are offering 25 grand a week wages!!!!!

Its zanadoooo! gomez not numo

We are the EFFC
Just seen on twitter that Connor sammon is at BAYVIEW the now.

Think you are fishing ! Or taking something sounding like fish!!!!!!!!!!???

Has any player actually signed a contract?

Ef
Has any player actually signed a contract?

We don't need contracts we just need love, peace and understanding man. We are the new East Fife and it's a new dawn.

Stay cool brother.

Hahaha

I agree with everything in this statement and it sums up exactly what I believe is trying to be accomplished in the new regime, although I wish you had been at the SC Q&A as the SNEERS, JEERS AND ANGUISH IN PEOPLES EXPRESSIONS when Brian said that there would be 10 to 12 youths brought to the first team was unbelievable.

Eyes in the back of my head

You were sitting at the back of the meeting so seeing expressions is a good trick. Didn't seem to be any major reaction to the news about the youths. I would say most fans have been disappointed that youth players have not been given a chance.

To try and guess where I was sitting is great... The sneers, jeers and head shakes came from the center and towards the back.

As I also recall there was someone at the front to the right (or left if you were sitting at the table) who questioned the youths being brought in as soon as they were mentioned.

I also said a minority of fans were against it.

I know the majority are for it as I witnessed it at the Q&A, But I never in my wildest dreams would have believed that anyone who claims to be a supporter would have been against it.

I'm not going to debate what I witnessed.

"...But I never in my wildest dreams would have believed that anyone who claims to be a supporter would have been against it."

Here we go again with this 'I'm a better supporter than you' bullshit.

The new regime are obviously strongly in favour of making youth the way forward. Other regimes would feel differently and many other clubs feel differently in this day and age. So, I would reject your inference that someone whose view is different from the new board's is not a supporter. They just hold a different (and quite common) view - which is allowed ... I hope?

Are more players signing today?

KotS
"...But I never in my wildest dreams would have believed that anyone who claims to be a supporter would have been against it."

You have to admit it's a fairly bold move, and high risk too. I'm all for youth coming through, when each youth is ready to make the jump. For a new board to turn up here, and on day one announce they plan to promote 10 youths to the first team... Well, that was a quick assessment of their potential. How come Mr Brown didn't try that last year when we were struggling and struggling?

I don't want to be down on the new board, and I applaud them for coming in with a different vision. Heaven knows we needed one. But I can also see that there will be ups and downs as the kids adjust to the senior game. I can see why some sections of the room were less than impressed with that part of the plan.

Sections of our support are a fairly negative lot. At times I'd include myself with that. We've a tendency to look negatively on just about everything. I think it's part of our nature here on the East Coast. These kids will need our support as they make the jump up a level. We can help by getting behind them, cheering them on when they do well, and keeping a bit quiet when they make the inevitable mistakes of youth.

Mon the Fife. Mon the youths.

I never claimed to be a "better supporter" than anyone.

I simply can't understand why any supporter of any team would be against having a youth academy which raises it's own funds and virtually runs independently, yet the first team benefits from it.

No matter what it is, How can a team you support, benefiting from anything, be a bad thing?

I remain bewildered.

prodigal son
KotS

You have to admit it's a fairly bold move, and high risk too. I'm all for youth coming through, when each youth is ready to make the jump. For a new board to turn up here, and on day one announce they plan to promote 10 youths to the first team... Well, that was a quick assessment of their potential. How come Mr Brown didn't try that last year when we were struggling and struggling?

I don't want to be down on the new board, and I applaud them for coming in with a different vision. Heaven knows we needed one. But I can also see that there will be ups and downs as the kids adjust to the senior game. I can see why some sections of the room were less than impressed with that part of the plan.

Sections of our support are a fairly negative lot. At times I'd include myself with that. We've a tendency to look negatively on just about everything. I think it's part of our nature here on the East Coast. These kids will need our support as they make the jump up a level. We can help by getting behind them, cheering them on when they do well, and keeping a bit quiet when they make the inevitable mistakes of youth.

For whatever reason Brown and the previous regime wanted nothing to do with the youths.

Brian is the new director of football and he's no stranger to the youths, He was the one who started the academy a few years back and he made that clear at the SC Q&A.

I would imagine that these youths which Brian plans to bring through have been ready for quite some time.

Hahaha
prodigal son
KotS

For whatever reason Brown and the previous regime wanted nothing to do with the youths.

Brian is the new director of football and he's no stranger to the youths, He was the one who started the academy a few years back and he made that clear at the SC Q&A.

I would imagine that these youths which Brian plans to bring through have been ready for quite some time.

Hahaha, agree BB did not want anything to do with the youth setup. Also agree there are a few who could step up now into the squad, Brown midfield could play, centre half lad Soz don't no his name, young keeper (I know) but since he has been out on loan totally different player, in fact they have all come on since loan deals at the juniors. I did go along to a couple of reserve games at he end of season at Beath and Livi the laddies performed well against strong teams featuring first team players. I believe a couple also brought attention from the other clubs who are now interested in taking them on should EF allow contact, and of course should they not be used in 1st team squad.
On the funding I believe it comes from SFA and modern apprenticeship scheme the reason it is separate, the sponsorship was down to the boys they had to get sponsorship themselves.