Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Treatment of players

Does anyone know whats going on? Broon and smith seem like that wanted to stay but are being forced out, after we supposedly signed them!

Re: Treatment of players

Smith and Brown left the club because their wages were cut and they were treated with no respect whatsoever which is terrible in my opinion.

All the players wages from last year have been cut aswell, as the club believe they wont be as important as the full time players!! Which is laughable!! what class of players do the board expect to get offering scandalous amounts of ££ for part time players and full time players. Board have lied to the fans already claiming Smith had re signed. Every club will have added to their squad and will be stronger this season as they will all have a greater income due to Rangers. We are the only team that will be considerably weaker. So far we have 1 player signed Nade just great!

Dont know the the full story but I would think that the parttimers would be earning more than the full timers if their wages stayed the same as last season.

truth
Smith and Brown left the club because their wages were cut and they were treated with no respect whatsoever which is terrible in my opinion.

All the players wages from last year have been cut aswell, as the club believe they wont be as important as the full time players!! Which is laughable!! what class of players do the board expect to get offering scandalous amounts of ££ for part time players and full time players. Board have lied to the fans already claiming Smith had re signed. Every club will have added to their squad and will be stronger this season as they will all have a greater income due to Rangers. We are the only team that will be considerably weaker. So far we have 1 player signed Nade just great!

And Nade has just had an operation. The club HOPE he will ready for the new season.
Note of caution: anyone remember Goran Stanic?!

The better players from last season have been offered 20% less than last year. (that will take then to roughly 50% of what the full timers will be offered)

Great plan new guys.

We know what we have with the good ones from last season, we know they can compete in the league and carried the weak squad of last season and you are peeing them off before season starts, no wonder they are not signing.

New manager will bring in untried players with no love of East Fife, we are heading for the 3 division.

worried
truth

And Nade has just had an operation. The club HOPE he will ready for the new season.
Note of caution: anyone remember Goran Stanic?!

And McManus

Like many supporters I'm apprehensive about what this new era is going to bring in but I really hope that the directors have the humility to listen and learn from those that are steeped in the club. Please please please no more pig headed arrogant Danskins or Browns in charge.

Sea Sea
The better players from last season have been offered 20% less than last year. (that will take then to roughly 50% of what the full timers will be offered)

Great plan new guys.

We know what we have with the good ones from last season, we know they can compete in the league and carried the weak squad of last season and you are peeing them off before season starts, no wonder they are not signing.

New manager will bring in untried players with no love of East Fife, we are heading for the 3 division.

Yes we do know what we are getting with last seasons squad! A 9th place finish, apart from 4/5(Durie, Campbell, Stonie, McBride & Willis) the rest I wouldn't look twice at! Fair enough the new board shouldn't of said they had sign but who cares? These guys weren't good enough last season why will they be better this? I'm sick of going onto twitter etc...and seeing ex players slating the club, you didn't get a contract, move on!

I for one can't wait for the new season and new era under a new board & management team, like Lee Murray said himself, it's time for us to start thinking like a 1st division club not a 3rd.

Last year's squad was the worst I can remember in my 30 years of supporting east fife. I know that some hold the opinion that the poor performances were down to poor management but that argument thins out when you spread it across 3 managers.

Anyway, the point I want to make is that the players were not very good - in fact I'll go further and state they were sub-standard. If they move on to other clubs then so be it - no big loss. I won't tremble should I read smith, brown, mcmanus, cambell or durie in the opposing team's line up.

When higher ranked teams are trimming their squads it means the market has more players competing for the same opportunities. In this sort of market, wages go down. If a team is willing to offer these guys the same rate as last year, good for them -but I don't think they'll get value for money.

Being a players buddy on pus-page on twatter doesn't mean you have to think the shine shines out their butt. These guys let us down last year - and the simple truth of it is they are not good enough. They'll easily be replaced - even with terms reduced by 20%.

Noisy crossbar
Last year's squad was the worst I can remember in my 30 years of supporting east fife. I know that some hold the opinion that the poor performances were down to poor management but that argument thins out when you spread it across 3 managers.

Anyway, the point I want to make is that the players were not very good - in fact I'll go further and state they were sub-standard. If they move on to other clubs then so be it - no big loss. I won't tremble should I read smith, brown, mcmanus, cambell or durie in the opposing team's line up.

When higher ranked teams are trimming their squads it means the market has more players competing for the same opportunities. In this sort of market, wages go down. If a team is willing to offer these guys the same rate as last year, good for them -but I don't think they'll get value for money.

Being a players buddy on pus-page on twatter doesn't mean you have to think the shine shines out their butt. These guys let us down last year - and the simple truth of it is they are not good enough. They'll easily be replaced - even with terms reduced by 20%.

I'll quote this because its a much better version of my last post.

From when WG was involved in EF up until the end of last season the mamagement of players wages seems to have been a shambles and I suspect our overspend on last season's budget was obscene.
For the first time in years someone seems to have looked at what the club can afford and set a budget which unsurprisingly is less than last year.
I am only guessing but in that budget there will be an amount for full- timers and an amount for part-timers. Naturally if a player is getting offered less than last season he will not be happy and if offered more elsewhere, with the right conditions, he will move.
Why would the new management team start overspending on a budget which they have calculated is all the club can afford ?
Making the announcements about signed players was probably the first mistake in a learning curve but these are the people who have paid their money which gives them the right to make the decisions.

Andrew Miller
Noisy crossbar

Thanks mate. I feel your love.

Not The Other Chairman
From when WG was involved in EF up until the end of last season the mamagement of players wages seems to have been a shambles and I suspect our overspend on last season's budget was obscene.
For the first time in years someone seems to have looked at what the club can afford and set a budget which unsurprisingly is less than last year.
I am only guessing but in that budget there will be an amount for full- timers and an amount for part-timers. Naturally if a player is getting offered less than last season he will not be happy and if offered more with the right conditions he will move.
Why would the new management team start overspending on a budget which they have calculated is all the club can afford ?
Making the announcements about signed players was probably the first mistake in a learning curve but these are the people who have paid their money which gives them the right to make the decisions.

Well said... Can't argue with any of that!

Noisy crossbar

Great post,well said. If any players were to remain then i'd hope they were squad/bench players.
Maybe their being offered less due to the fact that the BONUS money for avoiding relegation is not on the table.
Any player not wanting to sign then watch the door doesn't hit u on the arse on the way out.

Noisy crossbar
Andrew Miller
Noisy crossbar

Thanks mate. I feel your love.

Can I join the love-in?

Excellent post, I won't miss any iof those guys if they don't stay. Yes 2 or 3 would probably be worth keeping but frankly I'm not going to lose sleep over them. Time to move on, a new era. I'm more positive about the club today than I've been for years and we'll hear soon enough about more new signings.

Not The Other Chairman
I am only guessing but in that budget there will be an amount for full- timers and an amount for part-timers. Naturally if a player is getting offered less than last season he will not be happy and if offered more elsewhere, with the right conditions, he will move.

Boujour Alain. Totally agree with that.

Sea Sea

Great plan new guys.

50% less than full timers from the club, plus their full time day job wages. May still be more than fulltimers.
Tough decision for players to make though.

Not The Other Chairman

Noisy crossbar

When did you become sensible? I want the old Jessica Ennis loving Noisy Crossbar back.

Strange how this thread started in support of the players and ends up with them all getting slagged off!

Maybe because everyone has different opinions?

RS
Strange how this thread started in support of the players and ends up with them all getting slagged off!

Title was 'Treatment of players'. Not 'I think the treatment of some players has been crap and can people come on here and agree with me and slag off the new Board' was it?

Terracing Now!
RS

Title was 'Treatment of players'. Not 'I think the treatment of some players has been crap and can people come on here and agree with me and slag off the new Board' was it?

The intention of the thread was to find out why they had been announced as signed and are now saying they have been given no option but to leave, not to have a dig anyone!

Poo Shoot
Noisy crossbar

When did you become sensible? I want the old Jessica Ennis loving Noisy Crossbar back.

She'd get it like.

Terracing Now!
RS

TWATTER instead of Twitter

Thats not only smart, it's funny, in a sort of "blokes standing at the bar" sort of way.

Noisy crossbar

Get you with all the 'well said' replies! I think the warm, almost summer like weather must have affected you badly. To the point of talking sense nonetheless!

I always talk sense - it's just that sometimes people hear nonsense.