Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
O/T big massive wind turbine

Was just reading about this big massive wind turbine thing and it is going to be massive. As in really massive. Really really massive.

Middle hub is 124m off the ground and the diameter of the blades in 172m.

That's 45% more massive than the London eye.

I'm scared.

Re: O/T big massive wind turbine

And so you should my boy, so you should.

We could do with a centre half that massive

It's a monster. 7meg turbine. I think Samsung are trying to make methil fly.

Oh great. I read this last thing last night, and then had nightmares about being chased by the thing.

More seriously. Methil needs this. There's a load of jobs could come out of it.

What does it mean for the club? Will we get a strobe effect on the pitch? If so, can we train the players to take maximum advantage from this?

Would imagine the value of our ground as a building site for houses just went down a bit. Out of the shadow of one big power station, and into another.

Think there planning to move it onto a rig off-shore in couple of years if all goes well with the tests.....but in my opinion methil will get very few jobs from this.

Noisy crossbar
Was just reading about this big massive wind turbine thing and it is going to be massive. As in really massive. Really really massive.

Middle hub is 124m off the ground and the diameter of the blades in 172m.

That's 45% more massive than the London eye.

I'm scared.

What's that in pounds, shillings and pence?

It's over 3 times taller than Poppy the existing turbine at the docks so in £sd it's humongous!

Liam Anderson
It's over 3 times taller than Poppy the existing turbine at the docks so in £sd it's humongous!

Poppy?????

The environmentalists always play down the havoc these giant blades cause.
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that when they turn the turbine off the wind always dies down. Turn it on again and the wind rises.

It's just you.

Is it a gift or a curse ?

Allan, get aff this forum and get on wi yer work!

Not The Other Chairman
The environmentalists always play down the havoc these giant blades cause.
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that when they turn the turbine off the wind always dies down. Turn it on again and the wind rises.

http://www.fifetoday.co.uk/news/local-headlines/what-now-for-the-energy-park-1-3823831

"It arrived amid talk of jobs and regeneration, but now Samsung Heavy Industries is set to walk away from Methil - leaving behind the world’s biggest off-shore wind turbine on our doorsteps."

I'm not surprised by this in the slightest.
I remember reading god knows how many times in the East Fife Mail quotes from councillors telling the people of Levenmouth that 'the jobs are coming'.
It was all just absolute rubbish from the start and we've been made a fool of while money was chucked at companies to locate into Methil for a while.
Those who promised these jobs better be made accountable.

Never happen, Fife Council are famous for this. Just look at Dunfermline and Glenrothes with these so called multi nationals coming to town, they get the money and run. Fife Council couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery and still we vote them in.

Correct.
It just really sticks in my throat that these firms came into Methil, the local people were told it'd all be fine because 'jobs were on the way', but that snake of workers lining up down Wellesley Road to get into the Energy park and start their day's work was never going to happen.

Lets no forget Porky Salmonds quote fae a couple o years ago regarding SHI.
"Methil will shake the innards of the earth"

The whole Energy Park is just a complete white elephant and the people of Methil who were promised jobs in it have been completely mugged off.
Now we have a development happening in Buckhaven for some sort of facility to support companies in the Energy Park happening - yet another white elephant.
And to think the owner wanted to build housing and care facilities on that site but were the subject of a compulsory purchase by the council.

A Trialist
The whole Energy Park is just a complete white elephant and the people of Methil who were promised jobs in it have been completely mugged off.
Now we have a development happening in Buckhaven for some sort of facility to support companies in the Energy Park happening - yet another white elephant.
And to think the owner wanted to build housing and care facilities on that site but were the subject of a compulsory purchase by the council.

Agree ^^^
Lets also no forget aboot the £8 million funding SHI fekked off with.