Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Drum

Thinking about bringing a drum to the home games (if ok with the club). Trying to create a bit more atmosphere.
Thoughts, as no point pursuing this if it will upset some fans.

Re: Drum

at a meeting a few months back (before the takeover) the idea to encourage fans with instruments was brought up. i say yes and would love to have some songs invented for our new players,get a better atmosphere in the ground

DLA
Thinking about bringing a drum to the home games (if ok with the club). Trying to create a bit more atmosphere.
Thoughts, as no point pursuing this if it will upset some fans.

I like the sound of that, I was wanting to do the same a few months back but it might have a problem with the stewerds in getting into bayview with a object like a drum. I was thinking more about terracing so we can stand up to play and create noise in supporting the team.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH! NO DRUM!

Preston North End has a band and I believe that they are used by the FA for England matches - that's ok, it's songs to sing along to but drums - NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

YES!

Please do this. Anything to try and generate a bit more atmosphere!

Yes.

And a designated standing/singing section. Especially for all ticket games when you can't change seats. Can we do this for ibrox please too.

How on earth, will a drum create atmosphere? A drum would only drown out any singing, cheering, applause by the fans, so it would do nothing for atmosphere.

Mind you, I suppose it would drown out all the moaning b'strds too, the real reason there is little atmosphere at Bayview!

I'm in favour, and for any sort of standing area too. Most of the season, it's just too cold to sit down.

Opinion
How on earth, will a drum create atmosphere? A drum would only drown out any singing, cheering, applause by the fans, so it would do nothing for atmosphere.

Mind you, I suppose it would drown out all the moaning b'strds too, the real reason there is little atmosphere at Bayview!

I`m certain a drum would help the atmosphere and no way would it drown out any singing, cheering or applause by the fans if used correctly and at the right times.
I take it you aren`t in favour then??

Nae harm in trying i suppose.

A Drum is a great idea. It does create atmosphere if it is around the right group. What the problem is with our support, like many others is as follows:

1 Most of us are over 40 (some by a fair margin)
2 All of us are Fifers so not known for being emotional madheads
3 Many on match days are driving (so not off our heads on singing juice)

So the answer is

BRING THE DRUM

Then
1. Look in the mirror, slap your self in the face several times and say I am a fifer, a mad fifer a fifer who doesn't give a flying fek about the dour bloke sat next to me with a disapproving look
2. Get some emotion, remind yourself, Gretna got to a cup final, Lino lickers got to play Byern Munich, the pars had Jock Stein as a manager and COWDENBEATH ARE IN THE FIRST DIVISION (if you are not emotional after that !) Just think if we play our part this season we could totally screw up the apparent onward and upward progression of the men from Govan.
3. Park the car, walk, get the bus, get the Mrs to drop you off, hit the bars and turn up with some courage in yer heart ready for anything (apart from the long wait for a pee.

BT
A Drum is a great idea. It does create atmosphere if it is around the right group. What the problem is with our support, like many others is as follows:

So the answer is

BRING THE DRUM

Then
1. Look in the mirror, slap your self in the face several times and say I am a fifer, a mad fifer a fifer who doesn't give a flying fek about the dour bloke sat next to me with a disapproving look
2. Get some emotion, remind yourself, Gretna got to a cup final, Lino lickers got to play Byern Munich, the pars had Jock Stein as a manager and COWDENBEATH ARE IN THE FIRST DIVISION (if you are not emotional after that !) Just think if we play our part this season we could totally screw up the apparent onward and upward progression of the men from Govan.
3. Park the car, walk, get the bus, get the Mrs to drop you off, hit the bars and turn up with some courage in yer heart ready for anything (apart from the long wait for a pee.

Then gan hame and no listen tae the wife nagging ye, cos yer ears will still be booming fae the racket you call atmosphere! Quality... not!

Opinion
BT

So the answer is

BRING THE DRUM

Then

Then gan hame and no listen tae the wife nagging ye, cos yer ears will still be booming fae the racket you call atmosphere! Quality... not!

Oh ! Shit I forgot about that bit !!!

There has been drums at Saracens for several seasons now and they get on everyone's nerves. No-one like to be anywhere near them and even the players don't like listening to a drum beat when a maul is on or recycling from the back of a ruck. I think they find it distracting.

Bath got rid of their drums quite a few seasons ago because of the annoyance factor.

Different code I know but still the same effect on the eardrums and the players' concentration.

Bette Noir
There has been drums at Saracens for several seasons now and they get on everyone's nerves. No-one like to be anywhere near them and even the players don't like listening to a drum beat when a maul is on or recycling from the back of a ruck. I think they find it distracting.

Bath got rid of their drums quite a few seasons ago because of the annoyance factor.

Different code I know but still the same effect on the eardrums and the players' concentration.

Ok, ok. I was only trying to drum up some interest. No need to bang on about it!

Maybe we can reach a compromise and have a couple of wee drums with cloth instead of skin and the drummers can beat them to death using feather dusters.

Yours faithfully
Open minded 60+ year old.

(I bet there are scores of older fans cringing at the thought of drums but scared to speak out. It's a bit of a NIMBY situation. "I am o.k. with a drum being played but not within 50 metres of me."

60 + year olds?
I do not think you have any right speaking for Jim Corstorphine without his permission.
He will be very upset when he gets back from his cruise.

I thought I'd spotted Jim "60 something" Corstorphine on the TV last night but turns out it was TV travelling chef Rick Stein.

could have a trial game for the drum then ask opinions afterwards. If it doesn't work out then the drummer can beat it but if its ok..... then he can continue and beat it !!

Why not bring your old-style football rattles?

What is the club's viewpoint? Will drummer boy/girl be turned away at the gate?

Stand on the mound and drum.
Naw in fact,stand beside Lee and dae it.

Is Rick Stein a bufty too?

No, but someone with the name Query certainly is.

Query
Is Rick Stein a bufty too?

What's a bufty?

A lady who slays vampires.

Norwich City gave out sausage-shaped inflatables for the Reading home game last season. Fans were supposed to bang them together all at once and it did create an instant atmosphere pre-match. The novelty wore off as the game went on though.

I think an SPL club did the same exercise last season?

Ive been moaned at several times for banging the back of the stand, doubt a drum will amuse they pathetic supporters...

Not The Other Chairman
A lady who slays vampires.

I know Jim is a bit effeminate but I never saw him as violent, even to the walking dead. He has always appeared to be personable to the young Lee Gillies in my opinion. However appearances can be deceptive.

MiniFifer
Ive been moaned at several times for banging the back of the stand, doubt a drum will amuse they pathetic supporters...

Dae ye no think it's pathetic, senselessly banging away at the back o' the stawnd like? If ye think ye can drum, dae ye think ye wid get in a pipe bawnd or rock bawnd? Naw, cos it wid jist be senseless banging awa and there wid be nae bawnd in the country that wid hive ye, so why dae ye think that a few hunner ither supporters wid like ye ony mair?

Drums, Smoke Bombs and Casual Clothes are the way forward chaps, lets put bayview ultras on the map!!

Its all in the past lawd.