Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
East Fife FC in Portugal.

Seen a few tweets about EF players going to Portugal for some cup competion.

Anybody got some details about the trip, age group what cup are they playing for etc.

Cheers.

Re: East Fife FC in Portugal.

EAST Fife Modern apprentices and u/19s as a squad have arrived in Portugal today on a two week training camp and pre season exercise,this is greatly sponsored by the SFA and The Leanardo De-Vince program.
On Tuesday they will play Naith Boys from Nigeria in the first of two game if we win the game we progress to the final if we lose the game we go to third fourth place to play either Hull city (last years winners over Celtic) or Portinese a local team
Finishing this on Thursday the lads will continue pre season training
If this of interest I will happily give updates on games training and such
Regards Brian McNeill

Definitely Brian.

I've been doing a lot of coverage for the Whitecaps' U18s over here (Gordon Forrest is the coach) and really started to appreciate the importance of youth football to the parent club these last few years.

Brian McNeill
EAST Fife Modern apprentices and u/19s as a squad have arrived in Portugal today on a two week training camp and pre season exercise,this is greatly sponsored by the SFA and The Leanardo De-Vince program.
On Tuesday they will play Naith Boys from Nigeria in the first of two game if we win the game we progress to the final if we lose the game we go to third fourth place to play either Hull city (last years winners over Celtic) or Portinese a local team
Finishing this on Thursday the lads will continue pre season training
If this of interest I will happily give updates on games training and such
Regards Brian McNeill

Brian

I am with GoF on this.
Updates. photos etc please.

The players Staff and myself will do a daily diary on this site,Facebook and Twitter also Thank you.

First game is 8.45am tomorrow I believe! Set your alarm clocks for very early guys! ;-)

We are on the same time as Portugal so that makes it easier.

Good luck boys.

Their training schedule is pretty intense, coupled with that and the no fizzy juice, crisps or sweets they will be different guys when they get back.

Brian McNeill
The players Staff and myself will do a daily diary on this site,Facebook and Twitter also Thank you.

Thanks for the above Brian.

First full day in Portugal,Breakfast for the players at 07.30am followed by training from 09.00 till 10.30am went very well.
second training session in the gym at 3.45pm today shared with Doncaster Rovers senior squad Paul Dickov and Brian Horton management team were very good with our young lads on advice in the game ect.
Third session of the day was at 6.15 pm till 7.45pm, players tiring a wee bit here considering the heat ect.
Dinner for the players was at 9pm ,they have been disciplined and a pleasure to work with to this stage,tmro after breakfast we play our first tournament game versus Nath Boys of Nigera and wait for it with a 08.45AM KO.i will of course continue to update on this site Needless to say all players were bedded by 10pm approx. tnite Thank you.

Thanks Brian.

Great stuff.

It would be good if we could get a few of the guys out the cheer the team on this season. I know the U18s here really appreciate the support and interest.

Brian

Great report. Good read. It appears we have a well run professional set up working out there. Discipline and hard work like this, together with the opportunity to mix/work with senior players from another league must auger well for the future of this endeavour.

My thanks to you and your team as I expect the football club will benefit enormously from this pre season process.

According to twitter 2-0 defeat in first game unlucky guys all good experience

Update second day and game for our young players,Breakfast was at 07.00am as we prepared for the game time KO.08.45AM Players began prep for game at 08.00
warm up and stretches ect.

The following report was prepared by our coach Colin Martin
Both teams started well and East Fife forcing two corners in the first two minutes of the match,both teams playing a good passing game and the fife having the first header on target by James Martin, then we had a goal dissalowed for offside. Nath did not have a shot on goal for the first 23 mins then again on 41 mins a minute from half time the Nath number 10 drove into the box and was tackled by Mark Shaw fairly but the two boys collided went down and the ball hit mark on his hand and the referee pointed to the spot for in our opinion a howler, our keeper Connor Shaw was able to push the ball onto the post but it trickled into the net ....1.0.to Nath Boys and right on half time .

East Fife started the second half with 5 16 year olds brought on and Nath started with a full new team having brought 25 players with them the game restarted well with Nath having more of the ball, East Fife came more into the game again with some half chances but as the game progressed Nath were starting to dominate possession and with the heat the young boys starting to tire, and it was only a matter of time before Nath got their second which was in 86 minutes with a mix up in our defence.2..0..

After the game and our cool down both teams had lunch together which was good see at this stage we were informed 6 of their players were 23 yrs of age and had 6 internationals with their youngest being around 20 so I felt as coach it was a pretty good achievement and game for the East Fife youngsters.no excuses here though as we performed to our best in the heat and conditions

Great stuff. Good luck with rest of trip.

Good stuff Colin.

Keep it going lads. That was an impressive achievement again today.

Sounds good, hope the boys learn a lot from it.

Day three from Portugal, players up at 6am breakfast at 7am on the training ground at 8am warm up stretches drug education banned substances program ect.

Attended Doncaster v Portininese second division side at 11am decent game for Doncaster their first pre-season game of their program.

First afternoon break for the players today before training at 6pm till 7.30pm tactics for tomorrows game v portininese reserves game will ko at 08.45am on Thursday our time
Players will get call at 6am again for breakfast at 7am then prep for their game.one injury in camp at this stage but nothing serious 3rd /4th place playoffs so we hope to compete well in this one as the players are now settling in well

Thanks Brian

Lot's of first class work being done here by the sounds of it.
Very impressive.

DAY FOUR IN Portugal, Players up at 6am and 7am breakfast this consisted of cereal scrambled eggs fruit juice toast and jam.
07.50am report to dressing room for game at 08.45am warm up stretches possession games and ready to play, our opposition decided to turn up five minutes before ko.then let us wait till they completed their warm up puts us out slightly but put us up for the game all the more.

Report now follows from Colin Martin Coach on the game.
East Fife started the game very impressively pressing high up the park and not giving the Portuguese team time on the ball, after 18mins East Fife played a lovely move down the right side with good passing moves with Jordon Davidson switching the ball wide right to Ross Lennie, who went passed their defender and squared the ball to James Martin who could have slotted the ball home from an angle but unselfishly let the ball run through his legs for Ross Brown to slot the ball into the bottom corner for a well deserved lead.
On 35 minutes in a now very bad tempered match a Portuguese player and our own Bradley Grieve saw red, on 41 mins a Portuguese player went on a wee run and struck a shot from 30 yds which Connor Shaw made a fantastic save on to the post and the ball rolled along the line for a tap in 1.1. half time

The second half started at the same pace as the first and within 10mins James Martin got the ball beat two men and squared for Ross Brown and from all of 25yards hit a cracker of a shot high into the top right hand corner, as we say a postage stamp GOAL 2.1. FIFE still no letting up in the heat now approaching 25c eep pressing and again James Martin gets hold of the ball plays a one two with Daryl Falconer and shot low and hard into the corner and their keeper made a great save , on 75 mins a slack pass back gave the Portuguese side a gift and their number 11 hit a cracking shot into the bottom left leaving our keeper no chance to make the game all square at 2.2..
With 15mins to go Fife pressed to get the winner but it finished 2.2. and went straight to pens, where East Fife won 4.3. with a fantastic save from Connor Shaw , our scorers were Jordon Davidson, Mark hitman Shaw , Ross Brown (three in the game), Ross Lennie , and the one missed Lewis (mad dog ) Barr and he will be singing tonight to the boys for that.
Overall a great work ethic performance by every player in a very ill tempered match who coped well Thank You

Back to Brian having to type this and very slow I may add,the players should take great credit today with the discipline attitude and application offered in this game if some of the tackles were recorded and the performance of the Portuguese officials was appalling to say the least.
There will be no let up here though the players are off this afternoon then will watch Hull City v Nath Boys in the final at 6.30pm then a teats bbq for all. Tomorrow up at 06.30am and we will report on THREE training sessions of the day

Just to add to that post from a players perspective it's been a good week so far with all players working hard. It was a good performance from the team today in a very physical game and the Portuguese officials did not help or protect the players at all. Despite this I felt we still knocked the ball about well and created alot of chances. I also felt we were unlucky not to hold on to the 2-1 lead but happy to win on penaltys. Looking forward to next week and our remaining time here as it has been a good experience so far.

Would also just like to say thanks to east fife and the sfa for giving all the players the chance to come here and for the experience

Great to hear how things are going and that the lads are enjoying their time. Keep up the good work.

Good stuff lads. Discipline is everything when playing against/working with a different culture.

Thanks Brian and Colin yet again.

Particulary pleased to get the view of the team captain however.

I guess there will be photos via the official web site on your return?

There are a few photos on the clubs facebook page already

Ewan
There are a few photos on the clubs facebook page already

Day five in Portugal,
Players up at 06.30am today for 07.30am breakfast Training session started at 09,00am till 11am on the pitch.
Lunch for players was 1,15pm followed by second training session in the gym from 2,45 till 4pm this was a high intensity training workout circuit type and I have to say with many years involvement of players I have never seen such commitment and application to a session with each and every one of the players giving their absolute all.
From 7pm till 8.30pm came the third session this time delivered by Colin, once again the work rate of our young players was fantastic given this is a Friday evening, we then went to dinner at 9.00pm needless to say the players were bedded by 10.30pm without even being prompted
As a footnote Doncaster Rovers requested our goalkeeper to train with them this morning watched over by Colin and myself the young man enjoyed the experience and did very well for them the interaction of these senior teams is great experience for our lads Thank you and good night.

Brian, thx for the updates,sounds a really great experience for the lads.
Whats in store for them when they return? will there be a reserve league this season? will all the youngsters on the trip be training with the 1st team squad when they return or just the promoted ones? finally will 1 or 2 be sent out on loan or will they remain at Bayview? Thanks in advance for reply and Good Luck to all the youngsters for the season ahead

Good MORNING , There will be a reserve league next season as the whole point of camps like this is development of our younger full time players and the back up of the u/19s 7 of them on this camp also. 8 of this group have for the previous two weeks of this camp been training with and are indeed part of the first team squad,and I would expect this will continue the younger lads on the training camp I would now hope will push themselves forward also as should any of the other current 19s squad really
We have 5/6 16 year olds out here and they have put in tremendous effort as have all others their behaviour to date has been nothing short of amazing The discipline on food with what we allow and the attitude in training is a joy to watch and trust me its 17 hour days out here with no let up at all.

Very impressed with this tour.
We must be shown to be attractive to young players of a potential professional standard.
In my limited experience this says we are!
Really enjoying the reports Brian.

Hope the boys get a day off at the end of it all to relax, sounds like they will have worked their socks off! Get the beers opened

Just another wee update:

The last couple of days have been very, very tough but still enjoyable. Yesterday we done 3 tough sessions including an extremely tough session in the gym. Despite how hard the training has been, all the boys seem to be enjoying themselves and working hard. Also been watching a few of the Doncaster Rovers training sessions which is good to watch as theses sessions are done at an extremely fast pace and quick tempo. It's good to watch higher calibre players train and learn from them. Looking forward to the rest of the time here and thoroughly enjoyed it so far.

Thanks for this Jordan.
Glad to hear it's enjoyable, sounds like hard work though.
I am sure the Doncaster guys are saying much the same about your lads!

First week is almost over, as a younger player it has been difficult keeping up with the fast paced intense sessions with the older boys but it has still been very enjoyable and rewarding. I am training 3 times a day in the heat whereas I usually train twice a week, so it is very different to what I'm used to. I'm happy to have been given the opportunity to go on this trip and experience what full time football is like in this excellent training centre.

David Maskrey (under 19s player)
First week is almost over, as a younger player it has been difficult keeping up with the fast paced intense sessions with the older boys but it has still been very enjoyable and rewarding. I am training 3 times a day in the heat whereas I usually train twice a week, so it is very different to what I'm used to. I'm happy to have been given the opportunity to go on this trip and experience what full time football is like in this excellent training centre.

Brilliant post David.
Good to hear the positive attitude and the grasping of opportunities.
Let's us old guys live our youth again!

Day six in Portugal, everyone up today at o6.30am for breakfast at 07.30am after this players rested for a session at 11am till 1pm during this session we concentrated mainly on stretching exercises and some fast feet work with shuttles to follow before a cool down during this session we had a discussion on the muscle groups of the body and their main functions. Training along side us today were Doncaster rovers before their return to England

At the end of every single session we do, the players go into the outside pool in the form of ice bathing for recovery this keeps the lactosis in the body down to a minimum to continue the high intensity training we are trying to achieve here in Portugal The second session of the day was only two hours later from 3pm to 5pm, this consisted of possession games after the warm up followed by cool down

This evening the players were given their first leisure time of the week ( very well deserved ) they were taken by coach to a restaurant for a bit of a slap up three course meal, coke and hot chocolate was also on the menu some pictures will be posted

We returned at 10.30pm and the players are now tucked up in bed as I type this ready for the riggers of four training sessions tomorrow Thank you

Thanks Brian
I am exhausted just reading about this stuff.

Yeah I would have given my right arm for an ppportunity like this. Oh wait that wouldn't have much good for a goalie would it? ;-) fantastic stuff though

Just a wee update a week on , the boys have worked very hard and there attitude has been first class , never a moan they just get on with it , the younger boys coming well out there shell which is great to see , every day we train the boys are right up for the sessions and it showed it in the 2 games we played and yes we got a lovely trophy that u guys can see when we come home , last but not least , myself , Brian and Jamie would like to thank all you guys for the encouraging posts these young boys read every nite and we are all in it together and yes keep them coming thank u. Colin martin.

That's a week over already and what a week it has been, the training has been hard , the long days have been hard, but being with this group of boys has been a great experience for me personally, the fun that we have had together has Been unreal. The training we did today in the gym was intense then followed up by another intense session on the training ground. I felt this week I have learned a lot with my diet from Brian and my shaping and my movement on the park by the coach. Away to bed now its only 9:30 feeling great and can't wait for tomorrow.

A week has came and gone already and boy has it been challenging. But worth it, training 3 times a day is a pretty hard shift but being with the boys we have all worked very hard and adapted to the heat. The sessions include hard fitness work, intense gym workouts, ball work and relaxation in the pool. Coming back from a double leg break has proven it has taken a long time to get back to full fitness. The food over here has been to a very high standard and enjoyed every meal so far, but sticking to Brian's diet of course. Hopeful of getting another game before we leave to impress. Looking forward to the rest of the weeks training and excursions.

Good Evening DAY SEVEN FROM PORTUGAL,The day got off to a 6am awake call followed by breakfast at 07.30am todays first session was at 09.00am till 11am this started with warm up and stretches with shuttles to open up the legs after the calorie count from the meal last evening. this followed a pool session.

The second session followed lunch in the gym at 14.30pm till 16.30pm the session was again high intensity training completed by the lads with smiles on their faces,this entire group continues to show amazing stamina for the tasks they are asked to complete once again a pool session followed.

After showers and a change one and a half hours later the lads had their third session of the day after warm up most of this was possession football played at a great pace finishing with the cool down needless to say come meal time after showers and pool the lamb curry and chocolate cake did not stay on the table for very long at all reports have been added to the site by our players enjoy and good night

I'm with Liam on this.
I would have done anything to have been able to do this when younger.
Good hearing the views of the players as well as the coaching staff.

The determination and professionalism shown has been superb and I am delighted we have a bunch of lads doing whatever they can to ensure first team professional football status.

Keep it going lads.

That's a week flew in already over here in Portugal and its been a great week! The weather has been fantastic and so has the facilities. The Tournament that was organised for us was great and with a dramatic penalty shootout, It's been a great experience so far and hopefully if we get another game organised we can go home on a winning streak! The training has been a good learning curve with the shaping and ball drills we have learned from Colin and handling our diet with Brian has been tough but it's only for the good of us. Due to the hard training we have put in today it's time for bed as we are up for an early rise to watch portominese football club train. Goodnight!

Its been a week since the boys, colin, bryan and jamie stepped of the plane to portugal. We were all told to prepare for an intense two weeks of pre-season training. We have been training 3 times a day for the past week, excluding the days we had a game, the training has been of a very high standard and has pushed everyone beyond there abilities both on the park and in the gym. Being the youngest member of the squad at only 16 the experience I have gained from the more senior players and coaches has been invaluable. The weather, facilities and food have all been to the highest standard. The lads have been putting 100% in to everything that has been asked of them. The morale in the camp is on an extreme high as both coaches and players have been giving there counterparts the up-most praise and encouragement to push the team above the physical and mental barrier they once used to have.Thank you.

You a goalie Liam!!! There's already enough jokers on this site. they say you have to be daft to be a goalie so I suppose you will be telling us next you were also daft enough to be a referee?????

ps did you no keep banging yer heid on the bar???

Nathan/Calum

Thanks for posting. Good to hear what you think and even better that it is all upbeat.

Brian/Colin
Looks like you have not only the makings of a technically professional football set up here but the public relations aspect of this tour, in my opinion, has been excellent.

Mr Managing Director
You are to be congratulated on your vision and your ability to choose the right people to execute this vision.

Thank you for your post Fadi , comments like yours makes trips like this all worth while for the kids , thank you from Colin , Brian and Jamie.

Day nine in Portugal
Today the players rose at 06.15am for breakfast at 7am a trip was arranged to take the players by bus to the Portimenese FC ground a team in the second tier of Portuguese football this season, the bus journey was approx. one hour and we arrived as the coaches were preparing their first training session of the day we are invited to watch the entire training session of one and a half hours further hoping to educate our young footballers .

This was a decent level and a decent training program laid out today and hopefully the players and coaches alike took some part away with them, the players and staff were then allowed to speak with their coaches with any questions they felt relevant although briefly

We then returned to the bus for the journey back to our base at browns leisure complex I have to comment at this point the staff, organization, and set up of this complex is second to none they have been a great help to all from the owner down.

We gave in today and gave the boys the rest of the day off as reward for their tremendous work rate to date, t,mro they will again be back to three training sessions. Thank you .

Early rise again today for breakfast..after a few hard days in the gym and on the training ground today was a rest day. Took this opportunity to go a watch a second division Portuguese side in training. Stayed for the whole session then headed back to the training camp then the rest of the day was some free time which most of boys took the opportunity to top if their tans!! We were hoping to get another game arranged for tomorrow to give some of the younger boys more game time but haven't managed to do so unfortunately. Trip so far has been a great experience and great for the fitness so hopefully we can take it all home and have a good season.

Day nine in the training camp and today the boys and I had a well deserved rest as we went off to watch the local team fc portiminese train in their stadium. We learnt a lot from the training session as we got to see first hand the pace and the quality of play required to become a first team player. Although training has been hard and the heat at times has been unbearable I feel I have taken a lot from the trip as I have gained great experience from playing with the older boys and hope to take that experience and apply it in the coming season.

Brian/Ross/Liam

Thanks for the posts.
R&R. What on earth are you doing Brian?

we took a vote on r and r, I lost that should say it all ( only joking ) well deserved rest im sure but we are up and at it this nice sunny Wed morning

That's right Brian rest just as important as the training, especially with the youngsters. Sounds great. Did you plan to test the boys fitness before and after the trip? I think if you get any average stats showing the improvement that would be great to share to show the benefit of such camps. I am sure bar injuries once back boys will smash times after intense training. Well done hope the t shirt tans are coming on.

Still trying to get over my penalty miss but apart from that its been a great trip so far! the food and the facilities are second to none. The training has been incredibly intense and tough but very rewarding. It was great to get a day off yesterday after all the hard work the boys had done over the past week. it gave the boys a chance to work on our tans! however we were back to business the next day. Today we started with our usual morning session with a warm up, fast feet and then finished off with a bit of running. In the afternoon We were in the gym for another intense workout. Before dinner we had an evening session and we got some ball work with a big game which was played at a very high standard. Having a great group of lads has made the trip an even better experience than I could of imagined. The young boys are starting to come out of their shells and are starting to give the older boys some stick! (All in good nature) which is great to see. Another long day over and the boys are ready for an early night! looking forward to the remainder of the trip

Cheers.

Almost at the end of our incredibly valuable experience in Portugal and the hard work and sweat is far from over. The team woke very stiff and tender after our day off yesterday but any stiffness had to vanish quickly as the hard work was set to continue with another three training sessions throughout the day. The first training session consisted of shuttles out on the park with Brian making sure we were all very well stretched and ready to begin the hard work again. Credit to the whole team we all knuckled down and got it done to our now very highly tuned standards. The second session took place in the gym where again the boys showed great determination and team work ethic to really rally everyone on and pull every team member through the pain barriers. The third session took place back out on the park where we got a chance to prove ourselves in a small sided game incorporated with very tough and tiring exercises during break periods.

The whole experience here has been tremendous for me and I'm really looking forward to the new season starting as here I have had the best possible pre season! All the boys here have worked extremely hard which will benefit us all in the upcoming season.

Day ten in Portugal training camp
The call to arms was at 06.30am this morning followed by the breakfast at 07.30am first session of the day was 09.00am realised very quickly that although the boys were given a rest day yesterday they were struggling to get going in the first half hour, but after stretch time they entered the runs and shuttles with their now usual effort.
Their second session was the high intensity work in the gym a great effort from every single one of them for one and a half hours, after each session of course they continue to ice bath so to speak although in fairness its the outside pool.

The third session of the evening was after stretch work was all football related taken by Colin again for one and a half hours and again followed by the pool they attended dinner at 8.30pm then most of the guys are considering their beds without even being mentioned to them.
another three sessions await t,mro
Footnote, we have most of the lads following this forum now and personally from Brian,Colin AND Jamie we cannot thank the fans out there for the kind and helpful comments u are applying to the camp this has been so very welcome to us all with 17 hour days work involved here .Thank you

What a boost reading about this pre season training camp has been to me.

The work rate, enthusiasm and professionalism shown throughout, including Jamie :), has been nothing less than outstanding.

Without wishing to sound too patronising, I am really proud of our young lads flying the flag for East Fife in foreign climes.

The posts from the players have really added to my understanding and belief that this should be an intrinsic part of our pre season training in the future.

We are coming to the end of our great experiences in Portugal. Its been such a joyful two weeks being able to train at this excellent facility and the staff have been very helpful. Brian has been working us all hard in the morning session + Gym session but we are all feeling the benefits. Luckily we have Colin the gaffer that Gives us More ball work in the evening session but saying that if we aren't working hard he wouldn't be shy to tell us. Over all ive thoroughly enjoyed it and im sure the rest of the boys will say the same. Soon be time to go home back to Scotland... Wish we had another week haha.

Sadly we are coming to the end of our two week training camp here at the browns leisure centre, vilamoura portugal. The two weeks have been packed with hard sessions in the gym and on the grass. Brian and Colin have pushed us to our limits for the whole two weeks for our own good so we feel the benefits when we return to scotland for the start of the new season. The gym sessions were the hardest by far with brian planning the sessions so we worked the whole of our body and with colin we would work with the ball but still pushing our bodys hard! We were rewarded with amd 8v8 game at te end of some night sessions as the team had put in a hard shift throught out the day on the pitch running and in the gym with brian.

Brian McNeill
Day ten in Portugal training camp
The call to arms was at 06.30am this morning followed by the breakfast at 07.30am first session of the day was 09.00am realised very quickly that although the boys were given a rest day yesterday they were struggling to get going in the first half hour, but after stretch time they entered the runs and shuttles with their now usual effort.
Their second session was the high intensity work in the gym a great effort from every single one of them for one and a half hours, after each session of course they continue to ice bath so to speak although in fairness its the outside pool.

The third session of the evening was after stretch work was all football related taken by Colin again for one and a half hours and again followed by the pool they attended dinner at 8.30pm then most of the guys are considering their beds without even being mentioned to them.
another three sessions await t,mro
Footnote, we have most of the lads following this forum now and personally from Brian,Colin AND Jamie we cannot thank the fans out there for the kind and helpful comments u are applying to the camp this has been so very welcome to us all with 17 hour days work involved here .Thank you

Brian, This has been refreshing for fans to get kept up to date and to get level headed impute from some of the lads. I love your final line on 17 hour days, you only do those sort of hours when you love your job, so it paints a picture and I am sure that as fans and many of us who have played at whatever level we appreciate what you the coaches and players are doing and putting themselves through. Your effort will be rewarded I am sure, just got to hope you can carry the camaraderie forward along with the fitness and diet side if they can bring some of that back and carry it on they will give themselves an extra chance as I bet you have seen plenty talent and potential over the two weeks. Hope you get a wee break when you get back. I think there is a pub owner who owes you a couple of pints

Couldn't agree more. The posts have made great reading, sounds a successful tour, Keeper training with Doncaster Rovers, nice win against the Portuguese side, hard work by all the boys, as commented by all your posts. Credit to the club one and all. My only question would be, will they get a chance when they return?

Good Evening DAY ELEVEN IN PORTUGAL, I hope by now the fans out there have seen the efforts applied by the 16 young men who took on this camp with everything they had to offer I am very proud of these lads being involved with the East Fife set up as it stands now.
Credit must also go to the hard working persons( and they will know who they are ) who helped me set this camp in motion, We have to date just completed 26 training sessions in eleven days with one more tomorrow morning at 09.00am this will continue to be a 2 hour session to keep our standards up set by Colin Myself and Jamie, thereafter the lads will be rewarded with a shopping trip at 2.30pm till 6pm ( I don't think the staff will be on their shopping list ) they have dinner in the evening then head to the airport at 6am on Saturday for the flight home.

Today as normal was a three session day and I think the young men have explained in their reports what they were put through again, I can only hope we at East Fife fc can continue to support these type of camps as I believe them to be of great benefit.

So its goodnight from me and goodnite from them all as we set about preparing for our final full day in Browns Complex Portugal. Thank You .

Brian McNeill
Good Evening DAY ELEVEN IN PORTUGAL, I hope by now the fans out there have seen the efforts applied by the 16 young men who took on this camp with everything they had to offer I am very proud of these lads being involved with the East Fife set up as it stands now.
Credit must also go to the hard working persons( and they will know who they are ) who helped me set this camp in motion, We have to date just completed 26 training sessions in eleven days with one more tomorrow morning at 09.00am this will continue to be a 2 hour session to keep our standards up set by Colin Myself and Jamie, thereafter the lads will be rewarded with a shopping trip at 2.30pm till 6pm ( I don't think the staff will be on their shopping list ) they have dinner in the evening then head to the airport at 6am on Saturday for the flight home.

Today as normal was a three session day and I think the young men have explained in their reports what they were put through again, I can only hope we at East Fife fc can continue to support these type of camps as I believe them to be of great benefit.

So its goodnight from me and goodnite from them all as we set about preparing for our final full day in Browns Complex Portugal. Thank You .

Absolutely brilliant!
Thank you gentlemen.

What about birds - anyone manage to pull?

Yep there was a couple of tweets, but I think they were blackbirds plenty crickets in the camp though .haha.

Noisy crossbar

Noisy crossbar

Reading all the post don't think they had time.

Sadly we are coming to the end of our unforgettable experience in Portugal. It has been an intense and tough two weeks with Brian and Colin pushing us to our limits in every training session to prepare us for the season ahead. We ended our time in Portugal today by having a training session on the park at 9am till 10:30am doing running and a lot of stretching with brain, then we got the chance to go into the town a do a bit of shopping before we need to pack our bags and head back home to scotland tomorrow.... The grind and the hard work we have all put in over the past two weeks has been worth it and couldn't have done it with a better bunch eh lads. Looking forward to the start of the new season to see what it has in store.

Cheers.

Ross Lennie (u20's)
Sadly we are coming to the end of our unforgettable experience in Portugal. It has been an intense and tough two weeks with Brian and Colin pushing us to our limits in every training session to prepare us for the season ahead. We ended our time in Portugal today by having a training session on the park at 9am till 10:30am doing running and a lot of stretching with brain, then we got the chance to go into the town a do a bit of shopping before we need to pack our bags and head back home to scotland tomorrow.... The grind and the hard work we have all put in over the past two weeks has been worth it and couldn't have done it with a better bunch eh lads. Looking forward to the start of the new season to see what it has in store.

Cheers.

Thanks Ross

Sadly we have come to the end of our time in Portugal heading home tomorrow morning. The training has been intense and physically demanding. Brian and Colin have been pushing us all the way through these tough training sessions. It has been a great experience with a good group of lads. I was presented with the oppertunity to train with doncaster rovers first team thiswas a great experience for me to see the level I aspire to get to. Today we trained 9 till 10.30am the boys where rewarded with a shopping trip to end the week. Overal I have enjoyed this experience and so have all the lads a great win on pens and hard training sessions have set us up for the start of the season.

connor shaw (u20s goalkeeper)
Sadly we have come to the end of our time in Portugal heading home tomorrow morning. The training has been intense and physically demanding. Brian and Colin have been pushing us all the way through these tough training sessions. It has been a great experience with a good group of lads. I was presented with the oppertunity to train with doncaster rovers first team thiswas a great experience for me to see the level I aspire to get to. Today we trained 9 till 10.30am the boys where rewarded with a shopping trip to end the week. Overal I have enjoyed this experience and so have all the lads a great win on pens and hard training sessions have set us up for the start of the season.

Training with Doncaster. Are there career moves opening up already Connor?

Our Portugal experience has sadly came to an end, it has been an intense and phisically demanding two weeks with training in the heat every day. The squad will be coming back fitter and stronger because of Colin and Brian's efforts with a well thought out training plan. The boys are rareing to go for the start of the new season, We enjoyed our last day with a light morning session with Brian and then got to enjoy the rest of the day shopping.

Thanks.

Portugal has been a great experience. There has been many days off hard work but now it is the last day it has all paid off. If I had the opportunity to relive this great experience I would.

Good Evening DAY TWELVE IN PORTUGAL, The final day started as usual at 6am breakfast followed and on to SESSION 27, We decided to keep this to basically an extended warm up session for the boys 09.00 to 10.30am then pool time till eleven.

The lads were given the rest of the day off and a shopping trip was arranged in Faro to let them buy some pressies for their loved ones this was a three and a half hour trip were we all discovered today a magnum flurry ice cream amazing and well worth a try.

On a serious note though Colin Jamie and I are so proud of the efforts of these young men in the last two weeks this has been an unbelievable experience for us all throughout the workrate,application, and commitment to the training has been a credit to all, we can now only hope all these efforts will continue into the forthcoming season and see these lads push themselves even harder, online I wish to express my thanks to the SFA,Browns complex, and everyone involved in this camp, My sincere thanks to the followers of this program the fans out there taking such a great interest in the camp my club for citing this on the official web and so on THANK YOU SO MUCH the lads have really welcomed this also.

I HOPE THIS CAN BE THE START OF MANY SIMILAR CAMPS AND GIVE OUR YOUTH A STARTING POINT AT EAST FIFE FOOTBALL CLUB...

Sounds like a big success all round. Well done to all concerned and sounds like the lads will have benefitted tremendously from the trip. They also sound like a mature bunch and a credit to themselves, their families and East Fife FC.

Quick question Brian, how many of the players will be joining the first team squad and training full-time?

In answer to the question, nine should continue to train full time and with the first team at this stage thanks..