Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Alternate Telstar

As everything else seems to be changing at Bayview I thought I'd have a bash at bringing a modern, upbeat feel to Telstar. I feel that despite tradition, and the fact it has been used since way before my time, it may be in need of a revamp to keep up with these changing times. This is a working progress so be kind!

Mon the Fife

https://soundcloud.com/ali-dick/telstar-cover-by-ali-dick

Re: Alternate Telstar

Brilliant. Well done, fella.

Sounds good,listened to your other stuff.Do you play all the instruments yourself?

I encourage everyone to listen to my other stuff on soundcloud too!
Yes I play everything you hear myself, it takes ages!

Good stuff Ali. I have a reggae version of Telstar on a CD somewhere. Also pretty good.

wasn't looking forward to hear a remix of telstar but gave it a chance and all I can I say is your Bayviews answer to Mike Oldfield, well done, sounds fantastic

F'sake, that's butchery.

Of the language. The usual phrase would be a "work in progress". Mind you, the rendition was awesome. If I wasn't such a pedant it would have been perfect. Would love to see the team run out to this version.

Superb

Due to its more upbeat tempo, the bit after the intro might be a good goal scored piece of music, keeping the Telstar identity of the mighty East Fife's Bayview stadium.

Apart from that, very impressive that young Ali, but I can't get past the 'originals are always the best' versions in most cases and the original Telstar takes some beating.

This link should be clickable, I think!
Thanks for the positive feedback people, much appreciated

Ali

This link should be clickable, I think!
Thanks for the positive feedback people, much appreciated

You sir, are a genius. This is brilliant! Very well done for updating our tradition. There can be compromise in change!

Love it! Well done Ali.

that is an awesome cover. well done

Really like this version - well done.

I like that. Nothing wrong with changing the presentation of something if the tradition is preserved.
Liked Waggon Wheel as well.

Like this. Well done Ali.

Can the club not play this instead? It`s been revamped by a supporter who has obviously put a lot of work into it and sounds great!

Would also love to hear this version played at Bayview.

I handed a cd into the club with my version on it, along with a version for goal celebrations (should we ever score a goal...) so whether or not it's good enough in their eyes we'll have to see. Opinions will always be split on this subject.

I honestly am humbled by the support guys, and yes I will be at Bayview in the future to sign autographs/take pictures etc!!! But seriously it has been received so much better than I ever thought it would, thank you it means a lot!

The reason a song or track is a classic is because it endures over years, decades. It stands the test of time, even when music produced in the present day is like something from another planet. I wonder if this new version of Telstar will still be around in a couple of years' time.
One of the harsh lessons of trying to update a classic is that, hard as you might try, you are very unlikely to improve it.
Go to Parkhead, Ibrox, Goodison, Anfield, Emirates, Tynecastle, Upton Park, Easter Road, even Stark's Park. The teams run out to classic songs, many of them decades old, which don't need to be updated.
Fair play to Ali for having a crack at this, but do we really need to try to improve on something that doesn't need fixed?

Why not? Ali is a fan who has put a lot of time and effort in to this and going by his soundcloud, is a pretty talented guy.

He has made something new for the club so why shouldn`t we give it a go?

I say YES!!!!

well done ali

I agree - give it a trial and see how it's received. Good work Ali.

Play the original when the teams come out as usual and play the bit straight after the intro on Ali's version for the goal celebrations. Surely that would keep just about everybody happy?

Okay Telstar is our song but like everything else, it has aged, I bet not many of you are still watching black and white tvs, using your old spectrum computer etc.

Telstar has aged and feels very anticlimactic, what we need is a more upbeat version to get bums off seats for when the teams enter, which Ali has provided.

The main reason other songs have stood the test of time is that they get the crowd involved, all together singing as one. The fact that most of the clubs have tens of thousands of supporters singing helps this fact. Telstar has the potential to be so much more, and Ali has done this. This version would get us motivated to support East Fife before every game. The club needs to keep moving forward!

I also say YES!!!

I might not have a black and white telly or a spectrum, but Sympathy For The Devil sounds better than ever on my iPod nano.
If we change to a new version of Telstar, it is change for change's sake.
Sorry to spoil the love-in here, but this re-worked version is average at best.
If you want to update the club's theme song, just start again with a new piece of music. If you want a "more upbeat version of Telstar" you are really looking for a different piece of music entirely.
There is no need to hold on to tradition if people no longer want Telstar. The original is what it is. Let it go, gracefully, and move on to something different.

Ali
I encourage everyone to listen to my other stuff on soundcloud too!
Yes I play everything you hear myself, it takes ages!

What instruments are you playing Ali?

In my version of Telstar I'm playing electric guitar, of which there are 3 in the recording, bass guitar and a bass drum.

As I'm only one guy using my computer to record in a shed, this does take quite a while, especially for other stuff where I play acoustic guitar (sometimes more than one), electric guitar, bass guitar, mandolin, banjo, ukulele, bass drum, tambourine, keyboards, synths, piano, harmonica, vocals and many tracks of backing vocals whilst trying to make sure the levels are ok and everything sounds good!

Change or no change, thanks to everyone who has given it a listen, I'm truly grateful

Ali, serious question,are you in a band??

Don't get me wrong, you're doing a great job. But is there any chance of swapping the Status Quo version for a dance/techno version or something, like they do with the Braveheart theme at Hampden? That would sound superb if done well! And propel Telstar into the 21st century!

Pete Murray
Play the original when the teams come out as usual and play the bit straight after the intro on Ali's version for the goal celebrations. Surely that would keep just about everybody happy?

This

Tam
Ali, serious question,are you in a band??

Not at the moment, no.

Hi Ali, all these years at Bayview and didn't realise I was sitting behind a musical genius!!! Great stuff Ali, look forward to your first single!!

Just back ma holibops thought ad catch up on whats all happening on Aftn then came across this.......Ali knew u were good pal but fek me thats genius!!

Soc
Jul 21, 2013 - 3:03AM
Quote Reply Re: Alternate Telstar
Don't get me wrong, you're doing a great job. But is there any chance of swapping the Status Quo version for a dance/techno version or something, like they do with the Braveheart theme at Hampden? That would sound superb if done well! And propel Telstar into the 21st century!

---------------------------------

What Status Quo version?