Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
The allure of East Fife 4 Forfar 5 - great article.

James Alexander Gordon: The tantalising allure of East Fife 4 Forfar 5
Magazine Monitor

In a sad day for football fans, James Alexander Gordon, voice of the classified football results, is to retire - without ever officially reading the scoreline with which he was indelibly associated, writes Jon Kelly.

Any football fan could close their eyes and imagine hearing that honeyed, resonant Scots brogue declare the final score.

"East Fife... (downward inflection) 4. Forfar... (upward lilt) 5."

For most of James Alexander Gordon's 40-year career delivering the BBC's classified check, it was the tally you enunciated if you wanted to impersonate his distinctive, much-loved delivery.

In fact, Gordon never announced this fabled scoreline. Now he has retired aged 77 from BBC Radio 5 live after surgery to remove his larynx.

The two clubs, currently both in Scottish football's third tier, have never finished a game thus, although they have come close.

In January 1964 an encounter between them finished tantalisingly close, but the wrong way round - Forfar 5 East Fife 4.

And in October 2011 fans across the country raised their hopes during a clash which finished, disappointingly, East Fife 4 Forfar 3.

The man responsible for popularising the scoreline was legendary comedian Eric Morecambe, who would repeat it when mimicking Gordon.

The scoreline was linked with Gordon thanks to Eric Morecambe
Morecombe was a great admirer of the announcer and the two men became good friends. "Eric never called me James - whenever I saw him over a 20-year period he would say 'East Fife 4 Forfar 5'," Gordon said in 2012.

The fixture's musical resonance suited the delivery style of Gordon, a skilled clarinettist and pianist in his spare time.

He pioneered the much-mimicked technique of raising his tone for the winning side's score, and dropping it in sympathy for the loser's.

"It sounds so unbelievably obvious now but no-one had thought of it before," says former Scottish international turned BBC Radio 5 Live pundit Pat Nevin.

Audiences were always assured, too, that Gordon had the dexterity to deliver such a tongue-twister.

"His personality and his trustworthiness always came across, which is very hard to do when you're basically reading a list," says Nevin.

"However, I actually think there's a scoreline in Scottish football which is harder - Threave Rovers 3 Strathspey Thistle 3. Try reading it out three times, quickly. Even the great man himself would struggle."

East Fife and Forfar next meet at Bayview Stadium, Methil, on 14 September. Henceforth, surely the encounter will become known as the "James Alexander Gordon" fixture.

Re: The allure of East Fife 4 Forfar 5 - great article.

It is amazing how many people repeat that everytime you proclaim your loyalty to The Fife.

I didn't realise Eric Morecambe was responsible; I literally bumped into the great man whilst crossing the road in Harpenden many years ago. As usual, I wasn't looking where I was going.

Might be a long shot but why dont the club invite the man up for the September game? Could be good PR and a nice touch seeing as we get plenty of coverage everytime we play Forfar. Hopefully we win 5-4 mind

Fifer 83
Might be a long shot but why dont the club invite the man up for the September game? Could be good PR and a nice touch seeing as we get plenty of coverage everytime we play Forfar. Hopefully we win 5-4 mind